• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral's Star Wars game['s dev process is similar to Uncharted], new concept art

Hektor

Not really. There are entirely too many Star Wars games where you play as a hack-slashin' Force-wieldin' Jedi powerhouse. Let's see how the other 99% of the galaxy adventures.

From Republic Commando to Bounty Hunter and from Battlefront over Shadows of the Empire to Rebel Assault, there is a vast amount of SW games about notjedi people.

I dont have hard numbers but i would even bet SW games about Jedis are in the minority.

Awesome! I wanted this. I'm ready Hennig.

I'm in.

giphy.gif

Knew it the moment we saw this. :)

Game's going to be gorgeous.

DeviantBoi

I hope it's more like Uncharted 2/3 than Uncharted 4.

I hate everything about the stealth mechanics and the more open areas.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really. There are entirely too many Star Wars games where you play as a hack-slashin' Force-wieldin' Jedi powerhouse. Let's see how the other 99% of the galaxy adventures.

Agreed with this. The project is in good hands judging by her panel and what little, but meaningful info she mentioned. She has a grasp on the storytelling concept for sure.

I played the first Uncharted and got bored real quick, despite the series being sold as a "thrilling action movie in game form". If Uncharted is what I should expect from this Star Wars game, then it probably just isn't for me.

If you want "thrilling action movie in game form" it's Uncharted 2 where they first really pushed the envelope on the types of set pieces that became playable in a game. :)

I played the first Uncharted and got bored real quick, despite the series being sold as a "thrilling action movie in game form". If Uncharted is what I should expect from this Star Wars game, then it probably just isn't for me.

Well there's your first problem, Uncharted 1 doesn't do the saying "thrilling action movie in game form" justice. That would be Uncharted 2-4.

I hope it's more like Uncharted 2/3 than Uncharted 4.

I hate everything about the stealth mechanics and the more open areas.
I think it safe to assume it will be closer to 2 and 3 than 4, since Amy was only partially involved with U4.

Zukkoyaki

I don't have a lot of love for the Star Wars IP but a good game is a good game! Amy as a director and Visceral as a studio have both made terrific games in the past so I'm quite excited about this one. It being a third-person action makes it all the more enticing.

I'm not sure I get the disappointment from some people. Like Uncharted could mean multiple things: story driven, cinematic, third person, adventure. What's the problem with that? Were you expecting something like an open world game?

NoKisum

If you want "thrilling action movie in game form" it's Uncharted 2 where they really pushed the envelope on the types of set pieces that became playable in a game.
Well there's your first problem, Uncharted 1 doesn't do the saying "thrilling action movie in game form" justice. That would be Uncharted 2-4.

So I have through an entire bad game to get to a good one? That's worst than the "stick with it, the game gets absolutely amazing in hour 20" type of games.

I'm not sure I get the disappointment from some people. Like Uncharted could mean multiple things: story driven, cinematic, third person, adventure. What's the problem with that? Were you expecting something like an open world game?
'Uncharted' in title, people go en masse to trip over themselves to talk about how bad Uncharted is in some way. Would also have happened if 'BioShock Infinite' or 'Metal Gear Solid V' was in the title.

farisr

So I have through an entire bad game to get to a good one? That's worst than the "stick with it, the game gets absolutely amazing in hour 20" type of games.
I don't see how playing through a game that last 7-8 hours, and then getting to a game that significantly improves upon everything is worse than sticking with a game for 20 hours for which the gameplay & graphics remain the same to get to a good part/scenario.

Anyways, if you're finding the gameplay in Uncharted bad, then just watch the cutscenes and go directly to 2. You can even start up 2 without missing much, but if you want more of a connection with the characters, watch the cutscenes from 1.

Also, the game wasn't bad back in 2007. It just hasn't aged well as we've seen great improvements in the genre it belongs to since then. It's narrative/story telling & voice acting is still competent though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I knew this was going to turn into another Uncharted hate thread before I even clicked. GAF is getting too predictable. I'm excited for this though. A story driven cinematic Star Wars game by Amy Hennig, you know this game will be amazing.

-d0hv

NIN90

So auto platforming and kinda sorta passable gun fights.

I think it safe to assume it will be closer to 2 and 3 than 4, since Amy was only partially involved with U4.

At what point in her career did Amy Henning switch from writing to game design?

If it's in that ultra tired template of cover based regen health shooting it will have literally nothing to offer in terms of gameplay that hasn't been done to death in the worst ways possible.

Springy

If I squint, like, real hard, Uncharted Star Wars looks like Jedi Knight.

Okay, my eyes are actually shut at this point.

KevinCow

Banned
obviously...i mean, who would want their game to play like one of the best franchises of the past decade right?

Uncharted isn't popular because of its gameplay. It's a pretty typical and unambitious third-person shooter with light platforming elements.

Nobody cared about the series until Uncharted 2, and that's not because Uncharted 2 completely revolutionized the gameplay of the first game, but because it took pretty much the same gameplay and put it into crazy situations like a collapsing building and a derailing train.

If Uncharted 2 had the exact same gameplay but lacked those impressive setpieces, the series would probably be in the same boat as Resistance and Killzone.

Anyway, it's interesting that they're just straight up saying, "It plays like Uncharted." Have they done this before? With Dead Space, did they advertise the fact that it was pretty much just Resident Evil 4 in space? With Dante's Inferno, did they advertise the fact that it was pretty much just a reskinned God of War?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If it's in that ultra tired template of cover based regen health shooting it will have literally nothing to offer in terms of gameplay that hasn't been done to death in the worst ways possible.

Glad you and others are here to set us all straight on the development process of this game based on the title of the thread alone.

Phew. Expectations in check. Being excited for a great franchise, and a great game designer almost got the better of me.

Anyone notice that the second pic looks to be Naboo? I honestly really like its aesthetic

Either Naboo aesthetics or it's moon Rori that was in Star Wars Galaxies. Which was more that color tone.

Neff

Like Dead Space 2.

Pretty much. Dead Space was channelling Uncharted hard from at least the second game onward, albeit being a lot sharper, more responsive, and more fun to play than ND's games imo, so I'm not terribly worried if they're using that series as a template. I might be rolling my eyes if the shit I'm standing on collapses every 5 seconds though. And Star Wars characters wouldn't ever say 'Oh crap', so take note, team.

Getting some lovely Episode I vibes from that art.

Anyone notice that the second pic looks to be Naboo? I honestly really like its aesthetic

I keep repeating the praises of Doug Chiang every time this game comes up, and he's going to be a real coup for this game. He was instrumental in defining the look of the Prequel Trilogy.

EhoaVash

hmm.. uncharted like set pieces i do want,

but blegh just thinking of uncharted gameplay makes my stomach turn bleghhhh

I hope game has a light saber combat system something similar to dark souls combat.

This has the possibility of being the first realistically styled platformer(?) that doesn't break immersion for me with it's unbelievable platforming sessions because of the force.

Uncharted isn't popular because of its gameplay. It's a pretty typical and unambitious third-person shooter with light platforming elements.

Nobody cared about the series until Uncharted 2, and that's not because Uncharted 2 completely revolutionized the gameplay of the first game, but because it took pretty much the same gameplay and put it into crazy situations like a collapsing building and a derailing train.
It is? What other third person shooters combine the shooting with multi-level open areas, stealth, melee, and platforming?

2 absolutely improved the gameplay of 1.

Uncharted 1 isn't bad though, in fact it's good. We were just answering when you'll get the bigger "full on action movie stuff" you're looking for and those are the sequels thanks to building off of and refining everything the first laid the foundation for. They made a lot of advances going into UC2.

Technically if it's too boring for you you could always jump into UC2 or catch up on the story and then jump into UC2.

I don't see how playing through a game that last 7-8 hours, and then getting to a game that significantly improves upon everything is worse than sticking with a game for 20 hours for which the gameplay & graphics remain the same to get to a good part/scenario.

Anyways, if you're finding the gameplay in Uncharted bad, then just watch the cutscenes and go directly to 2. You can even start up 2 without missing much, but if you want more of a connection with the characters, watch the cutscenes from 1.

Also, the game wasn't bad back in 2007. It just hasn't aged well as we've seen great improvements in the genre it belongs to since then. It's narrative/story telling & voice acting is still competent though.

This.

Yeah, though I think UC1 is still plays fine, it's understandably not as advanced as 2-4.

ps3ud0

LOL that shit first post - plenty of other games they could have mentioned in the genre that would have made the comparison even worse...

Really hope Hennig gets the freedom to do what she wants in the universe - should be great!

ps3ud0 8)

55 minutes of bumbling around with your buddies followed by a 5 minute gun fight x 8.

SWEET!

Oh wait. Henning was involved with the other Uncharted games. This should be OK.

bj00rn_

Banned
A post on the site:

Giuseppe Nelva said:
Amy Hennig is being misquoted here. She never said that her game plays like uncharted. She said that the *creative process* of deconstructing the movies (or in Uncharted's case the pulp adventure genre) to reconstruct it as gameplay is similar to what she did with Uncharted. She never once even hinted that the gameplay itself is the same.

Thank god for that

I'm in. Hopefully it plays more like Uncharted 4 than uncharted 1-3. Having played the first 3 again recently, there's just way too many monster closets and combat encounters.

Top Bottom