• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

Yes, please do if its not too much trouble.

The Vita load times are really that bad? Hoping that shit gets patched.

Short preview of the first part og the game it is then... (will avoid anything about the story because some people will consider that spoilerish)

The preview part of the game starts of in Paris. You control Sly in some kind of Tutorial level, where you get introduced to the controls.
Left stick to move, right stick moves camera. Works great on the Vita. You jump on X, and land on the special illuminated ledges with O. This works fine most of the time, but when there are more than one of these illuminated places right next to each other, you often land on the wrong platform, rope etc.
Once the introduction level is over you are presented with a very nice looking stylish cutscene. It looks like a cartoon and is very well made, BUT there are some serious problems when you see time travel cutscenes. The cutscene gets blurry and you can see LOTS of big sprites whenever the camera moves to fast.
After the scene is over, you are in the new timezone. You are presented with a Home-hub screen. Here you have several screens.
- Arcade.
- Treasures.
- Timetravel.
- Costumes.
- Character screen.
The hub looks good and you there are lots of nice touches there. You start a mission by going to the Character screen and choose a character you want to play with. You can choose bentley, Murray or Sly in the preview levels. Only one of them has a mission though. If you choose a character without a mission you are able to freeroam the timezone, so that you can collect treasures, bottles or masks.
The missions in the Preview levels are pretty varied. One mission starts out with Sly taking pictures of diferent stuff, so that Bentley can make a plan to move on. Then you have to sneak up on some enemies and steal stuff from them, so that you can get enough parts to make a costume that Sly can use. You have to slowly move behind an enemy and then press O to pickpocket him. This is very easy because the enemies move in predetermined patterns. Once you have all the parts you get acces to a costume that you can use whenever you want, but that costume is also vital to make the story move on.
The preview levels do not make much use of the Vita´s touch screens (luckily). You only use the frontscreen touch to change costume (a single press), and use the binoculars. The backtousch is used, but it is actually used fine. If you touch it once you get an arrow showing where you have to go to get futher in the missions (and it shows how many bottles etc. you have collected).
The actual world you play in is really nice, the first timezone is quite big, and looks really good. Graphics look good, and the sound is great. Unfortunatly I expirienced some slight framerate problems and slowdown in the preview levels. But nothing gamebreaking at all.
The real downer for me are the loadtimes in the preview levels.
Let´s say I start at the Timezone Hub. I choose Sly because he has a mission. Now the game loads the timezone world. This takes like 45+ seconds. Then you move around the world, and finish the mission objectives. If these objectives include moving inside a building or something, the game loads again (30+ seconds). This doubles if you have to move in and out of a building.. add to that time for loading cutscenes.. and then when the mission is finished, you go back to the hub again. Thats another 45+ seconds loadtime.
But remember this is only my expirience with the preview part of the game, can´t say about the rest of the game (for now).. but the loadtimes are bad for a handheld game, it really brings you out of the game. You spent alot of time looking at the loadscreen, which is a Sly icon and some statistics (treasures, trophies, bottles etc.)..

this is just a quick preview I jut wrote here at work.. will have a better longer preview up later next week on another website.. sorry for the bad grammar, but I´m Danish and my english isn´t that good. lol..and I wrote this during a busy work day on a broken keyboard...

but aks away.. overall the game plays fine and it looks really good..

edit: top of page.. buy a Vita game..!

dan2026

but the loadtimes are bad for a handheld game, it really brings you out of the game. You spent alot of time looking at the loadscreen, which is a Sly icon and some statistics (treasures, trophies, bottles etc.)..

Wow that sounds awful.
Defiantly going to wait on this one.

Number45

Really bad coding at work then.
Its not like its even loading off external media.
This isn't the first evidence of long loads on the Vita, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the developers just yet. Good graphics and a large zone (and possibly minimal/no streaming?) are going to equate to longer loads - it's a shame if they haven't taken this into consideration with how you transition between areas though (i.e. if you have long loads it would make sense to try and keep the player within that area for as long as possible).

That said, I have no issues with load times ever so as long as it plays well enough I'm down
when my backlog permits

kiyomi

Thanks for the impressions, Hanmik. I'll be interested to see if they make changes and patch it quickly. Load times are a pretty big thing for me on a handheld and it's no surprise that the games I enjoy most on Vita also happen to have short load times.

For a PSM game, Samurai Beatdown has ridiculously long load times, seems like half of your time is spent loading.

M.D

Huh... I just realized I could get a Vita for about 135$ (if the price stays the same, if there's a discount I could get it for even less) in about 2 months.

I'll think about it in 2 months ;p

So I saw the the new corpse party game has arrived on PSN.....I never played the first one but heard that was good. Curious as to how the gameplay is i looked up some youtube videos.

Everysingle ones of them had nothing but story and cut scenes. Is there any gameplay or is it just a visual novel? It had plenty of pointless talk, random death and naked girls bathing each other with one shouting "i gotta grab that ass" but no gameplay.

Anyone help me out here?

Shinriji

From the EU store update-

Invizimals: Trading Card App (Spa Only)
Price: Free
PEGI: 3
Availability: Spain, Portugal only

That's interesting

I saw a gaffer playing that yesterday. And there is a placeholder page for this game (app?) on the US store (just like Flying Hamster HD).

VanWinkle

It is me. Gravity Daze almost pushed me over the edge.
No way I am putting up with that crap again.

Yeah, I could see how it would bother someone who takes their Vita out to places. I always play it at my house so it's not a HUGE deal for me.

Since all games also go to PSN Store it's not unusual for more complex games to have heavily compressed assets. Decompressing takes its time so long loadings are almost inevitable...

It makes sense, but I'm still hoping that it's something they can reduce via a patch.

Since all games also go to PSN Store it's not unusual for more complex games to have heavily compressed assets. Decompressing takes its time so long loadings are almost inevitable...
No excuse when you have games that are only at the alpha stage loading this quickly. Or maybe Team Ninja knows something that even Sony's own devs don't.

Same old shit with Playstation All-Stars, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout. Ruins games.

I'll just enjoy the demo and leave it at that.

No excuse when you have games that are only at the alpha stage loading this quickly. Or maybe Team Ninja knows something that even Sony's own devs don't.

Same old shit with Playstation All-Stars, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout. Ruins games.

I'll just enjoy the demo and leave it at that.

An enclosed arena does not weight the same as an open world environment or an open stage full of animated elements/textures/you name it. You guys forget these are full featured console games (DVD9 to BR) that have to be squeezed into 3-4GB tops.
I rather maintain IQ and have longer loadings, but that's just me it seems.

An enclosed arena the not weight the same as an open world environment or an open stage full of animated elements/textures/you name it. You guys forget these are full featured console games (DVD9 to BR) that have to be squeezed into 3-4GB tops.
I rather maintain IQ and have longer loadings, but that's just me it seems.

I totally agree, I didn't even mind the wipeout loads cos fuck that game was gorgeous

Tomodachi

Pannini (trading card company)
Fixed :p
Ironic that they're an Italian company, and yet we don't get the invizimals app (and I have to admit, I never heard of invizimals before). Maybe we'll get it in a few weeks though, when the tv show starts airing.

Takao

Banned
I downloaded it, it's exactly this. It's useless if you have no Invizimals cards.

Makes sense as to why it's exclusive to those countries then. I don't believe they were released outside of that. Doesn't make sense as to why Shinriji said there was a placeholder for it on the US store though.

When a new Invisimals game will release for the Vita? Damn, that does very good in Spain and Europe.

Probably later this year/early next alongside a cheaper Vita. The Vita AR demo videos showed Invizimals creatures running around, and the TV show that has Vita connectivity launches this winter.

Salaadin

this is just a quick preview I jut wrote here at work.. will have a better longer preview up later next week on another website.. sorry for the bad grammar, but I´m Danish and my english isn´t that good. lol..and I wrote this during a busy work day on a broken keyboard...

but aks away.. overall the game plays fine and it looks really good..

edit: top of page.. buy a Vita game..!

Thanks for that. Im still going to buy it but the load times make me sad. Ill hope for a fix.
Your post reads fine, by the way. I understood it completely.

Kyon

Banned
Im addicted to P4G, that is all.

ir11aTpJYy8gp.gif

Da Lord and SAVIOUR Godsona 4SUS shall BLESS you all for having such flawless taste. Bless

Shahed

ir11aTpJYy8gp.gif

Da Lord and SAVIOUR Godsona 4SUS shall BLESS you all for having such flawless taste. Bless

Still got at least a couple of months to go before I'll end up playing it. I wonder how useful the extra content will be. Being able to choose your skills in fusion already sounds like a godsend

kiyomi

Still got at least a couple of months to go before I'll end up playing it. I wonder how useful the extra content will be. Being able to choose your skills in fusion already sounds like a godsend
S'all about Marie, man.

I jumped back into it last night and I'd obviously saved right before a boss, forgot that I hadn't levelled and promptly kicked the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom