• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | November 2013 | Tearaway into a new world

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't like Adam Boyes. I want him to disappear and I want a clone of Shahid to replace him. :p
Ummm... You didn't hear already?
BVpmzfeIUAAJIGd.jpg:large

VanWinkle

Have you tried Zero's method? PS4 wifi off and Vita wifi on? Honestly 30fps doesn't bug me unless it's a competitive game and in that case it'll better if I played on the PS4 instead of using remote play to reduce latency.

Have you already linked your PS4 and Vita and checked both "Enable Remote Play" and "Connect Directly with PS Vita" from the PS4 settings menu? If so, try what I did above with PS4 internet off and Vita wifi on.

I'm going to try that PS4's WiFi off method to see if its even worth me getting an Ethernet cable. About the remote play settings, Zero, I do indeed have those settings checked. I'll let you know how the forced direct connection goes.

Flandy

Pretty much. Anything he buys will be on sale a week later and anything he imports will eventually be localized.

.........Seriously, what are the odds.

I imported some Japanese games that I thought never gonna be localized so they can help me learning Japanese in a more fun way, and one of them happened to be Conception II.

And then ATLUS all of a sudden decided to localize it.

....Seriously, what are the odds....

...I'll probably just sell it when it arrives.
Type-0 and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 pls

Remote play will help make vita attractive, but it'll kill any hope of getting more third party games. I can't see major publishers putting much effort into vita ports of multi platform games if lots of people will just remote play from Ps4

So let's hope Sony support it with some exclusives then.l
Yeah, isn't that what everyone keeps asking for? Less ports and more stuff like Tearaway and KZ:M. New Vita owner here and one of the big selling points for me is cross-buy and cross-save content. Sony is moving well into an ecosystem model and I like it.

PS(vita)A:

For all the new vita owners playing gravity rush: the game is 300% more enjoyable when you use down(or is it up?) on the dpad while flying - it recenters the camera when you lose track of your bearings.

It's also 300% more enjoyable if you cough up the $12 for all the DLC and have it integrated into your playthrough, since PS+ people get it for free anyway. ;)

Seriously. Give the game a go. If you think it's pretty solid (or you love it) consider buying the DLC before you hit mission/chapter 6.

Nah. I love Sony's first parties, the interface is laid out wonderfully (though our content needs to be able to be organized), games will look better on PS4, PS+ is a far better value than XBL Gold, and I like the integration of PS4 and Vita. In regards to Adam Boyes, I think he seems like a really nice and personable guy, but he has it ALL wrong with Vita, and that upsets me.

No, but I still have to try hooking my PS4 into my router with an Ethernet cable instead of through WiFi. I have hope, but 30fps is still really disappointing. Hope they can get that better.

Most games don't need 60fps, as long as the framerate is 30 fps solid.
And I was just joking with you about trading for an Xbone. That console still doesn't add up when I do the math. :p

Remote play update:

PS4 wifi on, Vita wifi on - PS4 main menu works very well, but there are quite a few graphical glitches and lag when playing Resogun. Sometimes Resogun doesn't even get past the loading screen before I get some "connection is too slow" error.
PS4 wifi off, Vita wifi off - No go. It seems that the Vita's Wifi has to be on for remote play to work. This is what I was doing wrong before.
PS4 wifi off, Vita wifi on - Everything works well. Resogun runs very smoothly on the Vita, and input lag is minimal. I'm going to assume this is what people mean by direct link.

I'm seriously impressed. Now I just have to wait for my first retail game to arrive.

Ok, so let me explain something here, in case people aren't network savvy.
The more wireless things you have going on, the more chance there is for colliding signals and packet loss. This would be what you're seeing with WiFi enabled on both devices. PS4 would probably be broadcasting to the network sending whatever data to PSN and back. Thus, since it's got 1 WiFi connection going on constantly already, trying to stream performance sensitive data to your Vita is going to end up with input lag and graphical stutters/etc.

Turning off the PS4 wifi will clear up a good chunk of collisions, I think, which is why you get the better performance.

I'm not even going to touch the "WiFi off" on both. I'll let that slide. ;)

ZeroAKA

Ok, so let me explain something here, in case people aren't network savvy.
The more wireless things you have going on, the more chance there is for colliding signals and packet loss. This would be what you're seeing with WiFi enabled on both devices. PS4 would probably be broadcasting to the network sending whatever data to PSN and back. Thus, since it's got 1 WiFi connection going on constantly already, trying to stream performance sensitive data to your Vita is going to end up with input lag and graphical stutters/etc.

Turning off the PS4 wifi will clear up a good chunk of collisions, I think, which is why you get the better performance.

I'm not even going to touch the "WiFi off" on both. I'll let that slide. ;)
Where were you when we were discussing this last night, and why are you telling me this now after I've already figured out the solution? ;_;

What happened to Shahid? :|

Where were you when we were discussing this last night, and why are you telling me this now after I've already figured out the solution? ;_;

I thought I saw someone tell Van Winkle (or maybe I did) that there's no way his PS4 should be hooked in wirelessly if he wanted to do remote play. After which he made a post considering it and figuring out if he could find a way to get the PS4 wired, no?
I thought that about covered it... didn't think y'all wanted a lecture on why that suggestion should help. ;)

Ugh...

I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry right now.

God... what are the odds....................

I'm beginning to think we need to get you to start buying things we want localized, without a doubt. :)

VitaGAF <3s LB... it's okay man. We all appreciate it. :D

Did you actually have trouble with the 2nd one...?

No. He didn't. :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Remote play update:

PS4 wifi on, Vita wifi on - PS4 main menu works very well, but there are quite a few graphical glitches and lag when playing Resogun. Sometimes Resogun doesn't even get past the loading screen before I get some "connection is too slow" error.
PS4 wifi off, Vita wifi off - No go. It seems that the Vita's Wifi has to be on for remote play to work. This is what I was doing wrong before.
PS4 wifi off, Vita wifi on - Everything works well. Resogun runs very smoothly on the Vita, and input lag is minimal. I'm going to assume this is what people mean by direct link.

I'm seriously impressed. Now I just have to wait for my first retail game to arrive.
Did you actually have trouble with the 2nd one...?

Rhaegar

Saw Tearaway on display at my local Target today (Cupertino, CA). Don't have access to my Vita right now, so didn't try purchasing to see if their computer would flag the sale for street date. Thought a fellow VitaBro might want to give it a shot though if any live in the area.

killatopak

Gold Member
Damn, just found out that Adventure Time won't get released on the Vita. ;__;
I mean I could understand if they said the install base is too small but it will also release on the Wii U... Talk about throwing salt on wounds.

Rhaegar

I mean I could understand if they said the install base is too small but it will also release on the Wii U... Talk about throwing salt on wounds.

If it makes you feel any better the first reviews and impressions of the console and 3DS versions have been horrid.

The answer is yes.

Seems EP/IS are directly in line with the original Persona...
I suppose I could pick it up and then buy the others when they're on sale.

I don't see any reason to buy FES though, I already have P3P.

As to what you were saying about PS2 classics before... I wouldn't care about FES still, but would love me some Shinobi/Odin Sphere/God Hand/Twisted Metal Black/etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What if he did? lol!

Actually, this is correct...

Hope he didn't order it and Shinovi

Please, LB, please, tell us you ordered Shinovi.

And this is also correct. I ordered three; Conception II, due to, as Acid08 said, how similar it is to Persona; Shinovi, since several people in my Vita club are playing it so I say, why not!, and the other one is Akiba's Trip 2 since I figure it will be impossible for this game to have an English release.

He's trying to make you the next Laughing Banana with suffering.

;_______;

I don't feel sadness anymore, truth be told. Just a bit of a shock and... numbness *sigh*

ZeroAKA

And this is also correct. I ordered three; Conception II, due to, as Acid08 said, how similar it is to Persona; Shinovi, since several people in my Vita club are playing it so I say, why not!, and the other one is Akiba's Trip 2 since I figure it will be impossible for this game to have an English release.
Thanks in advance.

killatopak

Gold Member

Thank you!
So what's the consensus on Batman: Blackgate?

Terrible for its price. Wait for it to drop in price.

not sure if posted.... but here are IGN's "first 60 minutes" impression

Spending 60 minutes with the opening of Tearaway, Media Molecule's upcoming papercraft platformer for the Vita, made me happier than pretty much any game I've played all year. From the get-go, Tearaway exudes charm from every single corner of its world. From the whimsical, fourth-wall-breaking banter of the two narrators, to the quick tour through all of the various gameplay elements that utilize each of the Vita's unique features like its camera and motion capabilities, it managed to consistently surprise me.

Media Molecule has created a tactile world in a way that few other games have ever accomplished. Blowing on the Vita screen causes the papercraft shrubbery to sway in a gentle breeze. Tapping on the rear touch screen causes the world to pulsate to your rhythm, allowing you to bounce high off certain tight, drum-like surfaces. And as you guide your bipedal envelope across the massive expanse of the charming world, you'll often find the sky tearing open and the Vita's front camera being used to actually put your face in the game world.

The world of Tearaway pulls inspiration from various forms of mythology and folklore. For example, an early area has you exploring a world that borrows from the Canadian wilderness and the Yeti myth. Though most of the game seems to be centered around exploring these gorgeous environments, Media Molecule peppers the experience with a variety of interesting diversions and gameplay palate cleansers. Rubbing your finger across the rear touch pad when you're near a particularly thin portion of the world results in your human finger ripping through the ground, allowing you to wreck enemies with no trouble whatsoever. A peek at how the sausage is made reveals that this effect is accomplished via a questionnaire you take at the start of the game which has you revealing your skin tone and hand size, culminating in the digital finger actually looking pretty accurate to my own digit.

Adding to the amazing sense of whimsy is a lovely little soundtrack that pulls influence from a cacophony of sources ranging from circus music to simple guitar riffs. Knowing that the adventure will also take me to locales inspired by English and Aztec mythology has me excited to hear what else Media Molecule in store.

I love how Media Molecule has the confidence to place me into a large, open area, let go of my hand, and give me the freedom to explore their world. And therein lies on final, strange feeling I felt near the end of my time with Tearaway.

As much as I enjoyed Tearaway's charming first hour, I couldn't help but put down my Vita and feel a tad bit melancholy. Media Molecule's game is a whimsical 3D character platformer that exists about a decade since the genre went into hibernation. Games like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Jak and Daxter, and Psychonauts helped inform my love of gaming as much as anything else. In a season that's been rightfully bogarted by new consoles which can display severed limbs and shiny cars with new-found fidelity, it's nice to know that some developers like Media Molecule are still making games that remind me of why I fell in love with this wacky pastime in the first place.

and based off of early impressions from the OT - this game gon' be gud

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh and I just noticed, apparently P3FES is gonna be 4.99? I just bought it at 9.99 not so long ago to play in my PS3.

...bah. Not even getting fazed by this one... though I am still annoyed.

killatopak

Gold Member
not sure if posted.... but here are IGN's "first 60 minutes" impression
and based off of early impressions from the OT - this game gon' be gud

It would be amazing if it gets GOTY at VGX. I can feel that it's already GOTY this month.
Oh and I just noticed, apparently P3FES is gonna be 4.99? I just bought it at 9.99 not so long ago to play in my PS3.

I love you man. For every bad thing that happens to you someone else gets happy. You're like Santa Clause. Your'e a martyr. Props to you man, props to you.

Rhaegar

you referring to the latest version?
man I should not have bought that bemo collector edition T_T

Yeah, the new one is getting bad reviews today and there was a thread earlier with some early impressions. I actually quite liked the first Adventure Time game.

To keep this Vita relevant-- I picked up Persona 2: EP today off PSN for $4.99. Should I tackle that before diving into P4G? Also, do I need to play P2: IS first?

killatopak

Gold Member
Yeah, the new one is getting bad reviews today and there was a thread earlier with some early impressions. I actually quite liked the first Adventure Time game.

To keep this Vita relevant-- I picked up Persona 2: EP today off PSN for $4.99. Should I tackle that before diving into P4G? Also, do I need to play P2: IS first?

No but it is advised that you play the older versions first because if you played it last, the game may feel a bit archaic.

Novocaine

I got it on PS3 last week and I'm returning it today. I love adventure time but you will probably find a better quality game from one of the CN flash games it's that dull and boring. Consider it a bullet dodged that Vita didn't get it.

Flandy

Persona games have been going on sale like once or twice a month for the past few months :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is like the fourth or fifth time this year that it's been $5. >.>

Persona games have been going on sale like once or twice a month for the past few months :lol

I honestly don't know this, at least for P3FES.

After downloading Dark Arisen for my PS+, I still have around 13 bucks to spare, I spotted P3FES, and without even thinking I bought it since it's one of my favorite games of all time.

I guess I should have been more careful... but what's done is done I guess.... *sigh*

You're so getting fazed by this one.

>____>

Top Bottom