• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Calcium

Banned
I wish that Netflix could pick up the rebooted Thundercats as well and continue that series.

I would love that. The Thundercats reboot was probably the last time I watched an animated show and stuck with it. I really, really enjoyed that show. Damn shame the toys didn't sell.

Sou Da

I didn't catch the explanation either, but I assumed it was to get
Zarkon's ship isolated away from his fleet or any reinforcements so they could concentrate on
smashing the shit out of it with minimal distractions.

The plan was to strand him and him take him out alone, yeah. A direct cutting off of the head.

JSevere

just finished season 2!
felt that after the first couple episodes the plot stagnated a bit with the arc where the gang was trying to figure out how Zarkon was following them, but starting with the introduction of the Blade of Marmora the rest of the season was solid. really dug the character development of Keith, turned him from one of the blander characters on the show into one much more compelling. looking forward to him commanding he team next season. last half hour was pure hype, Shiro's ass disappearing had me shook :( and I concur that Space Mall was the best episode of the season.

Zapages

This is very interesting take on Voltron. Wow is what comes to mind when talking about the season 2.

Anyway.
Prince Lotor for season 3!!! Can't wait!!!

How many more seasons are we getting? Hopefully 2 or 4 seasons!

As for the question that is being discussed here in the spoilers:
They had to take Zarkan away due to the fact Zarkan won't follow them after getting the power back

EDIT: Well... I thought about searching for any other lions of voltron since the original... I ended up finding some interesting fan sites for voltron.

Placing them in spoilers because. You know...

It's weird... As much as I dug S1, I didn't really have the urge to rewatch the entire thing. But for S2? I really want to rewatch it again lol.

WarRock

I feel like season 1 sidelined Keith and focused on Lance, and season 2 does the inverse. Anyway:

- Soundtrack still is weak. Still the worst opening a mech show ever had. The same for the gattai sequence.
- Action is better! On the other hand, why the heck everybody hypes Voltron as being the greatest weapon in the universe if it never wins a fight without a gimmick or a surprise power up? The individual lions feel stronger.
-- Heck, Zarkon straight up sends normal troops led by a scavenger to capture it like it's no big deal.
-- Keith/Shiro fights had some great choreography in special.
- Art looks better, or at least more consistent. There some nice space backgrounds.
- Pacing is kinda crappy, first half almost felt like filler. And where was the sense of urgency considering their state at the end of season 1? What the heck, everybody was way too calm having space adventures like nothing happened.
- Likewise, some of the jokes during plot/action scenes in those episodes felt somewhat unnecessary.
- I don't give a crap about the
Sword of Marmora, the spy storyline that went nowhere and the Black Lion obsession made no sense. Zarkon didn't give a shit in season 1, why did he spent 95% of his screen time in this one being crazy about it?
-- About the
Sword
, it felt like they were there just to explain
the traitor at the end of season 1 and so Allura didn't have to fight all the witches alone - after all, even Shiro could barely hold his own against one of them... But then she got a deus ex machina moment to defeat them, so, whatever?
- Last 4ish episodes are great.
- dat last boss design! Straight out Phantasy Star Portable!
- A proper, climatic, season finale. Thank you, thank you.
- Overall a better season and still a solid show.
- Wood mechs!
- "Our sword may not be enough", time for
a even bigger sword!
Love it.
- "My lucky terahertz range!"

Some random speculation:
After the first season I thought Shiro had some galra DNA. Wrong character!
Maybe the galra Keith met inside the monster was the Prince?
Please no lion swapping. Red Lion is the only one being autonomous as fuck thanks to his bond to Keith.
Yeah, I felt the show was pushing Keith and Allura too.
We never got any pay off with Shiro's wound. Guessing that is related to his disappearance somehow.

What is that what it was supposed to be? I thought it was just slap chop.
Even if it's not a direct reference...

On the other hand, why the heck everybody hypes Voltron as being the greatest weapon in the universe if it never wins a fight without a gimmick or a surprise power up? The individual lions feel stronger.
I think because...
"Our sword may not be enough", time for
a even bigger sword!
Love it.
...there are a shit ton of things Voltron can do that they haven't figured out yet. All season long they have been showing how as the paladin and lion bonds grow stronger and they gain experience the lions and Voltron level up. Like, Hunk still hadn't found his lion's elemental abilities.

Just finished season 2, pacing is a little bit uneven but still amazing to watch.

Come on Season 3.

Random thought, am I the only one who keeps associating Lance with Sokka in The Last Airbender?

Blues1990

Impressions:

I recently started watching Season Two (I'm around 10 episodes in), and it's been pretty cool. I enjoyed the sprinkled character chemistry with the team splitting up. Pidge suffering from a mild case of space fever, a la creating those puppets of her friends and throwing so much shade, had me in stitches. ("My name is Keith, I'm so emo.") She was also such an adorable dork when ogling at all the different alien technology throughout this season.

I love the gag with Coran always having a mustache in all stages of his life, with his moody, rebellious teenage phase being the best out of the bunch.

Keith really needed more development, and I'm glad that the least interesting character from Season One had some character growth & became a more compelling individual. It's pretty obvious that this show is pushing Keith to take the mantle of team leader (Time to die, Shiro.), but that leads to who will pilot the Red Lion. I never watched the original series, FYI.

As others have already mentioned, the Space Mall episode really captured the true mall experience. I can't remember the number of times hawkers were trying to sell me some impractical appliances. The Ginsu knives demonstration was obviously a playful take on the Slap Chop appliance, including how that alien pulling every trick in the book to sell his wares.

I can't wait to see what the final three episodes will showcase.

Hero

Just finished it. Great season! Excited to hear Netflix has already greenlit another 13 episodes.

Allura is going to pilot the red lion when Keith takes the black lion.

Wilsongt

Impressions:

I recently started watching Season Two (I'm around 10 episodes in), and it's been pretty cool. I enjoyed the sprinkled character chemistry with the team splitting up. Pidge suffering from a mild case of space fever, a la creating those puppets of her friends and throwing so much shade, had me in stitches. ("My name is Keith, I'm so emo.") She was also such an adorable dork when ogling at all the different alien technology throughout this season.

I love the gag with Coran always having a mustache in all stages of his life, with his moody, rebellious teenage phase being the best out of the bunch.

Keith really needed more development, and I'm glad that the least interesting character from Season One had some character growth & became a more compelling individual. It's pretty obvious that this show is pushing Keith to take the mantle of team leader (Time to die, Shiro.), but that leads to who will pilot the Red Lion. I never watched the original series, FYI.

As others have already mentioned, the Space Mall episode really captured the true mall experience. I can't remember the number of times hawkers were trying to sell me some impractical appliances. The Ginsu knives demonstration was obviously a playful take on the Slap Chop appliance, including how that alien pulling every trick in the book to sell his wares.

I can't wait to see what the final three episodes will showcase.

In the original, Keith was the black lion, Lance was the red lion, and Alura was the blue lion. Keith can certainly take over the black lion in this series, and my guess is Alura will take the red lion.

pbayne

Just finished it. Great season! Excited to hear Netflix has already greenlit another 13 episodes.

Didn't they establish that the lions only respond to people that align with them personality wise? Like Keith was the only one with a strong enough will to tame the red lion. I could definitely see Alura filling that kind of role too as she is just as strong-willed but then who's left to pilot the castle? Coran can't do it by himself.

That would be cool, and probably the easiest way to make the inevitable return of Shiro the most seamless, but then who would pilot the castle? Only Allura can to my understanding because of her royal blood.

Hero

Didn't they establish that the lions only respond to people that align with them personality wise? Like Keith was the only one with a strong enough will to tame the red lion. I could definitely see Alura filling that kind of role too as she is just as strong-willed but then who's left to pilot the castle? Coran can't do it by himself.

That would be cool, and probably the easiest way to make the inevitable return of Shiro the most seamless, but then who would pilot the castle? Only Allura can to my understanding because of her royal blood.

Ground the castle for half the season or something. Or maybe one of those ninja guys can step up. :D

I finished season 2 earlier and loved it. The quality definitely felt more consistent here than in season 1 which I thought had a bit of a rocky start but found its footing a few episodes in.

Blues1990

In the original, Keith was the black lion, Lance was the red lion, and Alura was the blue lion. Keith can certainly take over the black lion in this series, and my guess is Alura will take the red lion.

I can see Allura having a strong will to tame that finicky Red Lion, as she is known for her commanding attitude towards the Paladins. If Lance takes the mantle, however, I can't see that clown getting it right and is going to struggle to get the darn robocat to even listen to him.

However, it would leave the castle without a pilot, & Coran can't exactly control the ship on his own.

I can see Allura having a strong will to tame that finicky Red Lion, as she is known for her commanding attitude towards the Paladins. If Lance takes the mantle, however, I can't see that clown getting it right and is going to struggle to get the darn robocat to even listen to him.

However, it would leave the castle without a pilot, & Coran can't exactly control the ship on his own.

Coran can pilot the castle on his own as seen in the season one finale. He just can't open wormholes.

As for Red Lion Allura mentioned that it needed a pilot that is daring and not afraid to push. Allura may not be that which is why I can see Blue opening up as that was said to be the most open of all the Lions. Lance I do think could handle Red, mostly due to his "I'll keep up with Keith" attitude/rivalry.

Basically, it gives the chance to match the '84 Voltron in that fashion.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. I really enjoyed the season, Space Mall was the best episode.

I'm not sure how they are going to handle the Lion switching. They made a pretty big deal with the Red Lion's strong bond with Keith. Then you have Allura being the only one able to create wormholes which has been fairly key so far. Lance, to the best of my memory, hasn't shown a super strong bond with the Blue Lion which means that Allura could take over if they want to go back to the original. With the lions needing to be bonded with their pilot, they might also recognize that Keith needs to lead the team. So Red (and Blue and Black) could bond with another.

Now, this is way WAY out there but one thing I did think of is Pidge's brother. In the original series, Pidge's twin brother was part of Vehicle Voltron. If they find Pidge's brother maybe he could pilot the Red Lion.

I am curious as to why Pidge wears glasses (when I'm pretty sure she doesn't need them) and then only when she's not in the battle suit.

Regarding
Shiro
and who will
pilot the black lion
, have we considered the possibility that
no one will pilot the black lion? Keith might be the leader while still in command of the red lion. I could see there being a running story where they can't form Voltron during their "Search for Shiro". Hell, with Shiro's enhanced bond with the black lion, it wouldn't be so far fetched for it to go looking for him like the red lion does for Keith. It makes contending with Prince Lotor, who is weaker than Zarkon, tougher if they're down a lion and without the ability to combine.

X-Frame

I'm a few episodes into Season 2 and I heard some synth music, gave me an immediate Mass Effect vibe and I really liked it. I don't remember if that was Season 1.

Regarding
Shiro
and who will
pilot the black lion
no one will pilot the black lion? Keith might be the leader while still in command of the red lion. I could see there being a running story where they can't form Voltron during their "Search for Shiro". Hell, with Shiro's enhanced bond with the black lion, it wouldn't be so far fetched for it to go looking for him like the red lion does for Keith. It makes contending with Prince Lotor, who is weaker than Zarkon, tougher if they're down a lion and without the ability to combine.

I'm not so sure. Voltron as it is is too important to not have ready if/when they need it. Lotor will be introduced and they at some point are going to need Voltron to take on what he and Haggar concoct.

- Action is better! On the other hand, why the heck everybody hypes Voltron as being the greatest weapon in the universe if it never wins a fight without a gimmick or a surprise power up? The individual lions feel stronger.

I think the reason why Voltron doesn't seem to the most powerful creation in the universe yet is because the team are still learning how to best use it. Their bond and thus their fighting effectiveness is growing all the time.
That's why Zarkon was able to combat them in his own suit of armour
- because he knows Voltron intimately and is a much more experienced Paladin.

- Pacing is kinda crappy, first half almost felt like filler. And where was the sense of urgency considering their state at the end of season 1? What the heck, everybody was way too calm having space adventures like nothing happened.

Two things about the pacing bothered me: the first half of the season where they were
running away dragged on a little too long, and Zarkon was a little too focused on finding the Black Lion
throughout. I understand his obsession grew from almost getting it back at the end of season 1, but it made his scenes a little repetitive in season 2.

-- About the
Sword
, it felt like they were there just to explain
the traitor at the end of season 1 and so Allura didn't have to fight all the witches alone - after all, even Shiro could barely hold his own against one of them... But then she got a deus ex machina moment to defeat them, so, whatever?

I thought the fight
against Haggar and her cronies
was awesome, and considering Allura already uses magic of some description to open portals for the Castle of Lions, it didn't seem
like too much of a stretch for Allura to use offensive magic either (when she got really angry after learning Haggar was Altean)
. I kind of like how they seem like opposites now.

Maybe the galra Keith met inside the monster was the Prince?

Actually, that seems like a good guess.

So many seasons till it ends? 4 like the Avatar series? I think I'll rewatch everything next week LOL

I don't think there's any plan on the number of seasons just yet. At the very least I would expect at least 4, so we'll have two more
with Prince Lotor as the villain.

Regarding
Shiro
and who will
pilot the black lion

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the plot in the next season will be
Shiro trying to escape wherever he is trapped, and the team leaning how to cope without the Black Lion, nor without being able to form Voltron
for 5-6 episodes. I still think he's either going to be
trapped in some kind of other reality (where maybe he'll be able to talk to the other Paladins/King Alfur?), or he'll be trapped in Zarkon's body, or - and this could be the most interesting thematically - he'll be trapped within the Black Lion. Maybe that's the end goal of their bond, and he has fused with the Lion
and they are now in perfect sync.

Wilsongt

In terms of Haggar
making her Altean totally sets up the plotpoint of Lotor being her son. He was half Altean in the original series.

Regarding Allura
Given that they are flagging a Keith/Allura relationship, it makes more sense that Allura will connect with the Red Lion over Lance.

Regarding Pidge
Pidge is awesome. That's all

PSqueak

Banned
Marathoned it over the weekend, loved it, the finale had me going "OH SHIT!" at
Shiro's disappearance
and
"Summon Prince Lotor!"

Loved the development of Keith (the blandest character in season one) and his bonding with Shiro.

The twists of
Haggar being Altean and Keith being half Galra
were pretty good and tied up Allura's arc in the season pretty well.

So, since Shiro pretty much groomed Keith to be his succesor as the black paladin and he is gone now my candidates for new fifth paladin are:

-Allura:
in favor: Legacy of the original series, her character arc, bonding with Keith
Against: Commentary by the staff about her not becoming a pilot, being the one who makes the wormholes

-Kolivan:
in favor: He's a capable warrior, only survivor of the galra allies, he's with the crew right now
against: No real character development yet, probably will be written off as returning to the blade of Marmora

-Matt:
In favor: Pidge just found out he is a live and no doubt they will go find him at some point
Against: Probably is not gonna show up til mid to end of the season

Also i loved the little nod to season one where
Shay asks visually excitedly where Hunk is
, it was a cute touch.

SeanC

A really great season. A few slow parts and moments I felt were rehashes from the first season, but characters still grew, they expanded the world building in a very organic way and are able to feel like a complete story while still leaving great cliffhangers and threads for a Season 3.

I particularly liked that Voltron itself felt like a payoff. I mean we see the lions a lot more than Voltron and them working that angle instead of just pulling the Voltron switch, which I felt was done too much in Season 1. It felt earned and satisfying.

Coran still the best, BTW. I hope he gets a promotion to something at some point. Not sure if it'll be a lion or controlling the castle by himself or what but I feel Season 3 needs to give him something because a lot of the best moments of Season 2 were from him both with humor and drama.

muteki

I've only watched the first few episodes of the first season, later on does the Netflix show ever go into Dairugger/Vehicle Voltron stuff?

Blues1990

I'm a few episodes into Season 2 and I heard some synth music, gave me an immediate Mass Effect vibe and I really liked it. I don't remember if that was Season 1.

There were some great synthwave tracks in the show's score during the first season. During the sequence in the second episode when team was suiting up to practice forming Voltron (and everything going against Hunk, such as the zip-line stalling and his mini pod launching without him).

I need to watch the series again if I can hear some more sweet jams.

Sulik2

Marathoned season 2 yesterday. Overall liked it better then season 1.

The Good:
- Zarkon is a fantastic villain. Intimidating, powerful and intriguing. I want to know his motivations.
- The action sequences are still very well done especially the hand to hand stuff.
- The team getting better at being Voltron.
- Shiv. Lol.
- Keith, Shiro, Alura and Pidge all got nice character development. Hunk and Lance are still kind of garbage, but I have hopes they get their time next season. Alura is probably my favortie character now.
- Art design is still great. Some awesome looking planets and interstellar phenomena. Zarkon's main ship is an awesome design.

The Bad:
- Music is still terrible, seriously Netflix needs to get the original music badly.
- Too much slapstick comedy
- Bunch of filler episodes (the mall ugh)
- Not enough Robeasts
- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE decide whether you are hopping solar systems or galaxies. They mention galaxies in one line then in others Zarkon is just searching one galaxy. A galaxy is a huge place, quit saying you are hopping galaxies in one breath and in one galaxy in the other.

I don't think the cheesy comedy will ever not be there. It's a staple of avatar, both last air bender and Korra, and I recall reading some Korra staff is handling this

- Bunch of filler episodes (the mall ugh)

Nah dude, The Mall was one of the best episodes. I like fun little side-episodes like this which help break up the typical flow and inject a bit of fun and levity.

- Not enough Robeasts

Do you mean big monsters for them to fight? Again, I like that that's a plot element they're not leaning on too much. Too many big monsters for Voltron to fight gets very repetitive IMO.

- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE decide whether you are hopping solar systems or galaxies. They mention galaxies in one line then in others Zarkon is just searching one galaxy. A galaxy is a huge place, quit saying you are hopping galaxies in one breath and in one galaxy in the other.

Yeah, this did bother me too. At one point Allura said they were "several galaxies over", and then in the same episode (I think?) Zarkon said he was checking the whole galaxy for them. A tiny point, but it did annoy me too.

Holy crap, that's amazing!

X-Frame

Was it ever disclosed why they couldn't use the original Voltron OST?

I still feel like this is a huge missed opportunity for the transformation sequences and opening.

WarRock

I think the reason why Voltron doesn't seem to the most powerful creation in the universe yet is because the team are still learning how to best use it. Their bond and thus their fighting effectiveness is growing all the time.
That's why Zarkon was able to combat them in his own suit of armour
- because he knows Voltron intimately and is a much more experienced Paladin.
I have huge problem with this explanation. It makes sense and I accept it - but MAN, two seasons. After the major beat down they took directly at the end of the first, almost dying in the hands of a single guy... How they are all so calm and not immediately trying to get better at piloting when season 2 starts? How are they ok with trying again just because they got a couple of allies that are not even going to fight with them?

It doesn't help that the only moment someone tries to have a better bond with its lion this season, all it's needed is sleeping for half an hour inside it. It doesn't help that Hunk finally triggers his lion equip-power-up and straights up says (in gag, but says it nonetheless) that he doesn't know how to use it in a fight.

It really feels like bad writing to me =/

And, not directly related to this, but I also have a problem with Voltron appearing so rarely just to get repeatedly beaten when it's their strongest asset. There are a couple of times where they de-form Voltron and go back to the lions because they don't know how to deal with the enemy with Voltron. C'mon. It completely undermines the point of the combination.

Just and aside, but I'm concurrently watching A Different World since it's on Netflix and something that stood out to me was one of the episodes in Voltron S2 has Cree Summers voicing like 3 different characters in the same episode. That shook me, lol, and I don't usually notice voice actors. It must be because I'm hearing her on two shows.

PSqueak

Banned
It doesn't help that the only moment someone tries to have a better bond with its lion this season, all it's needed is sleeping for half an hour inside it. It doesn't help that Hunk finally triggers his lion equip-power-up and straights up says (in gag, but says it nonetheless) that he doesn't know how to use it in a fight.

Being fair tho, doesn't only Shiro have formal militar training? None of the other paladins are warriors.

Hero

I have huge problem with this explanation. It makes sense and I accept it - but MAN, two seasons. After the major beat down they took directly at the end of the first, almost dying in the hands of a single guy... How they are all so calm and not immediately trying to get better at piloting when season 2 starts? How are they ok with trying again just because they got a couple of allies that are not even going to fight with them?

It really feels like bad writing to me =/

And, not directly related to this, but I also have a problem with Voltron appearing so rarely just to get repeatedly beaten when it's their strongest asset. There are a couple of times where they de-form Voltron and go back to the lions because they don't know how to deal with the enemy with Voltron. C'mon. It completely undermines the point of the combination.

One of my issues with OG Voltron was how all Voltron had to do was combine and form Blazing Sword and it was usually GG. I feel like they went the total opposite direction in this series so I can totally see where you feel that Voltron isn't as OP as he should be.

Top Bottom