• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lkr

why did you pay the bill then? why didn't you ask to speak to the manager about it? if you had cared at all, you would have done either of these. but since you didn't make any fuss at all, no shit they're not going to do anything

seriously, threatening not to pay in these situations always gets anything fixed. now your only options are to call and ask for the manager after the fact or leave a yelp review, both of which seem weird since you didn't make any complaint about it when it happened...

I wouldn't expect anything other than an apology, really. Shit happens, and I'm glad you didn't throw a fit which speaks well to your character. Think of it as you acting like a boss in front of your coworkers, and not shitting on the worker and ruining her day.

I mean, pouring hot soup on you is really a one person job, I don't know why you think the rest of the employees should have gotten involved. If you needed more soup poured on you she could have just made another trip.

Fat4all

Banned
I mean, pouring hot soup on you is really a one person job, I don't know why you think the rest of the employees should have gotten involved. If you needed more soup poured on you she could have just made another trip.

or built some sort of automated soup-spilling machine

hwy_61

Banned
OP I think you would've been in the right to complain to a manager about it. I'm not going to dogpile on you with the stop whining bullshit. Should the restaurant have made it up to you? Sure. If this had been a better run restaurant, that would've been the case.

MIMIC

Banned
Grow up girl. One: The soup did not burn you, so why mention it. You would probably also whine if the soup was cold, right? Two: Say something when shit bothers you.

This better be a joke post, because it's really stupid. The temperature of the soup is hardly the issue.

*OP gets in car crash*
Poster: But did you die?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
While they should have taken care of it without asking, the fact that they didn't should have prompted a comment to the server or manager. I've had food comped for lesser reasons.

theofficefan99

She made a mistake and apologized. Sometimes they comp the meal, sometimes they don't. IMO it's a tad strange that there was no comping but at least there was an apology given. I wouldn't have complained or said anything if I was in your position either

The fuck? Why?

I believe it's the entitled perspective. He knows what he should have done if he clearly wanted a comp'd meal but he didn't. He wanted the restaurant to know how he truly felt even though he said everything was fine and accepted her apology. OP failed at communicating.

Lkr

if you were at a restaurant and ordered soup but the soup was cold, wouldn't you be upset? p sure it was a joke post. OP has a case of a double edged sword here: if the waitress didn't spill the soup but it was cold, he would be upset that he got served cold soup, but if she dropped hot soup on him, he would be livid because the soup was hot

commedieu

Banned
if you were at a restaurant and ordered soup but the soup was cold, wouldn't you be upset? p sure it was a joke post. OP has a case of a double edged sword here: if the waitress didn't spill the soup but it was cold, he would be upset that he got served cold soup, but if she dropped hot soup on him, he would be livid because the soup was hot

I'd eat it.

Then make a thread about how completely livid I was. Wait, isn't that what you would do?

In my biased ass view because I come from an immigrant family I've usually only seen other immigrant families or middle to lower income people complain

and usually if you come from that background you carry it with you (like I do), contrast that to richer people they usually don't complain at restaurants

it's like stereotyping for how people deal with food service, interesting microcosms and shit

Rich folks are more choosy/picky. They can afford to be they figure. If they dislike something, they take their money elsewhere and tell their friends who probably also have cash.

At least in the area I work.

Fat4all

Banned
that's why every waitress needs one of these

spill-proof-beer-o.gif

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Wait what kinda soup was it? Was it like a bisque or something with a lighter viscosity near chicken noodle. Tomato soup might be enraging, and staining.
But if it was like miso soup... that's just like miso tea with tofu cubes. Did a potato or clam chunk fall down your shirt?

be very careful, how you answer could make all the difference

HvySky

Such a weird thread. From your post it sounds like she was sincere in her apology. You said yourself that you didn't make a big deal out of it. Shit happens, and if you didn't ask for some sort reimbursement or bring it up, can you really be upset?

Two Words

I believe it's the entitled perspective. He knows what he should have done if he clearly wanted a comp'd meal but he didn't. He wanted the restaurant to know how he truly felt even though he said everything was fine and accepted her apology. OP failed at communicating.

So not making a big deal when hot soup is spilled on you, but still expecting a restaurant to feel compelled to make up for it without me making a scene is......deserving of getting hot soup poured on you on purpose?

I mean, Ive worked in the industry for a long time and its pretty common practise to comp something if something like that happens. I wouldnt really expect anything myself because I'm pretty easy going but its pretty shitty of the place to not hook you up with something. I've had meals comped for being late, for them brining me the wrong thing ect. I usually get hooked up a free drink or 2 a lot of the time just for being super polite to people. I see no reason why they wouldnt make your experience a bit more memorable to try to erase the spillage on you from your memory.

So no I wouldnt really expect anything myself but its pretty shitty on their part if you ask me, to do nothing. Yeah I'm sorry too but now I have to go change if I want to go out somewhere else. Thats pretty inconvenient but not the end of the world. I would have comped the soup OP. I even got a free meal voucher in my pocket because what I wanted was 86'd. Thats because the place I went to didnt suck.

Edit: or the spup wasnt yours. Still would have comped something.

An honest accident happens, you tell them it's no big deal and then mad they didn't just give you free stuff? Get over it man, it's soup not napalm.

Two Words

The soup wasn't mine. The OP clearly says that a different waitress spilled hot soup on me.

Xenoboy

What is it with the assholes saying the OP is whining? I'd like too see your goddamn reactions if this happened to you., I actually hope this happens to you. It must be nice walking with some gross looking pants, that have probably been stained.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Dunno why people are being overly harsh on you, OP. I had something similar happen recently at a mexican restaurant. Waiter spilled queso on my shorts and just walked away. I should have said something, but didnt. I find it weird that people are telling you to grow up or stuff like that. I feel like restaurants should compensate without being asked in these situations. Ya live ya learn, so next time say something and get a free meal.

I didn't tip though, payed the flat bill for the food.

kewlmyc

Well like you said, you didn't make a big deal out of it. If you did, then they would have done something like you wanted.

Sadly, being a huge asshole is how you get what you want in restaurants. Don't like a meal? Complain about it and get free stuff. Stay silent, and pay for your shitty meal like everyone else.

I'd be completely fine with a genuine apology.
I wouldn't be surprised if they comped me, but I wouldn't expect it.

Dunno why people are being overly harsh on you, OP. I had something similar happen recently at a mexican restaurant. Waiter spilled queso on my shorts and just walked away. I should have said something, but didnt. I find it weird that people are telling you to grow up or stuff like that. I feel like restaurants should compensate without being asked in these situations. Ya live ya learn, so next time say something and get a free meal.

I didn't tip though, payed the flat bill for the food.
Isn't the difference that in OP's case, the waitress actually apologized?
I do find it a bit childish to be bothered so much even after that.

KarmaCow

Businesses don't comp meals to fix some karmic imbalance, they do those things to placate a customer to avoid the customer from trashing the them. You didn't make a big deal about it, so they did nothing. It's simple.

If you felt wronged, then speak up. Expecting a business to do you a solid is foolhardy. It's nice when they do but it should never be the expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom