• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart (Prevention Loss), the schadenfreude is delicious!

This is not in response to the video but to people who make our jobs miserable. I am a cashier at an independent supermarket. Part of my job is to check people's bags. Just for them to open it up so I can give it less than a second or attention if their bag is a certain size.

It is clearly signed at so many shops including mine that it is a condition of entry that you show your bags/receipts. And yet people act outraged, think I am accusing them of theft (no, it is my job to ask to check bags of a certain size), essentially tell me to profile people and not to check theirs (eg to only check school kids bags), or others accuse me of profiling, or a man abuse me for asking a woman to show her bag, saying that a woman should do it and glaring at me and yelling abuse at me. Or people saying they just stepped in a minute beforehand and didn't go near anything, as if I can be expected to keep track of every customer. Or people deny my request abusively. Or demanding that I get police to do it.

You know what I just do now? Not ask. Let my boss be displeased with me because I am sick of all the abuse that my conpletely polite requests got.

it's not legal to ask someone to show the insides of their bags where i live and if a store would have this as a policy i would never go there anymore, this is fucked up.

I'm sorry for you though, not your fault.

Some people volunteer their bags (I do this!). It is just some people, but you really never know who and it can ruin a day.

this is even more fucked up. volunteering to show off the insides of your bag at a cashier is some dystopian shit.

The short time I worked at Wal*Mart I hated when they put me on door duty.

There was one time that one guy came through, set off the alarm so I asked to see his receipt, he got all angry at me, called me racist because I asked for it.

Dude no one else came in and out and the alarm went off. Guy had a CD that the cashier most likely didn't run over the one thing and that's what set it off.

Doesn't matter how nice and cordial you can be, some people will just be asses to you no matter what.

it's not legal to ask someone to show the insides of their bags where i live and if a store would have this as a policy i would never go there anymore, this is fucked up.

It depends on the store, like Costco and Sams Club part of you getting membership is agreeing for the door staff to look at your cart and receipt.

It depends on the store, like Costco and Sams Club part of you getting membership is agreeing for the door staff to look at your cart and receipt.

no idea how those stores work, is having a membership a way to get around laws or is it legal to just ask people to open their bags?

Shitbag. Hope he gets fired.

Pretty sure he's getting fired. 1 bad stop as an APA and you're fired. He dropped the ball and accused an innocent customer of theft. Police usually are the fist to get fired. You're not a Cop, you're not a rent a Cop, you're an associate. You can't chase shoplifters, you can't attack them. Idiot should listen to his boss more and maybe he wouldnt get fired.

It is legal here and typical.

The law:
There must be a prominent sign at the entrance stating it as a condition of entry.
The checker must not touch anything, only look.
The customer may refuse and the checker can require them to leave.

Nobody wants to ask to check people's bags. :(

Spuck-uk

Banned
When I worked Loss Prevention at Macy's, we were allowed to physically detain shoplifters, including the use of handcuffs.

This would end up with you getting criminal charges in the UK.

Bags are basically never checked here. You'll never even get asked unless, like, you somehow set off an alarm or something.

in many countries this would be considered tantamount to kidnapping. it's baffling what's allowed in the so-called land of the free

At Walmart you can detain but, you can only hold them till the Police arrive. Its not a prison, you're in the room with the AP associate while he calls Police. Most smart people just run. They can't chase you and usually wont.

Greddleok

You mean at Aldi and Lidl for example? It's a quick glance which isn't bad. They started doing this a few years ago, because many people tricked them and just put things in bag or under them (that's the reason you are asked to hold your bag up quick).

And of course you have to pay for plastic bags, because they hurt the environment - that's the reason they even cost money at all so that people bring their own cloth bag.

It's everywhere, Aldi, Kaufland, Rewe. I understand why they make you pay (although I've never paid for one in my life), but I don't appreciate being told to open my bag and show it. It's just assuming I'm a criminal.

Looks like there are a whole bunch of these kinds of videos on youtube. Some far worse. One involving a guard/police officer pulling a gun on two black kids after they wouldn't comply with ID.

superbeau

Neo Member
When I worked Loss Prevention at Macy's, we were allowed to physically detain shoplifters, including the use of handcuffs.

in many countries this would be considered tantamount to kidnapping. it's baffling what's allowed in the so-called land of the free

I can't believe it isn't here. How is this not false imprisonment? They aren't police and theres plenty of times police can't even detain you.

I didn't completely follow the exchange.

What happened between him showing her the $15 price (on the website?) which apparently supported him, and him acquiescing to the fact that he'd totally clowned himself?

What was the smoking gun for him? I couldn't make out his mumbles of contrition.

This reminds me of the sign when you leave CostCo- "Why do we check your items against your receipt? To make sure you have everything you paid for"... lol.
Yeah I'm a little lost here too

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

In retail, here in NY, I was told I was in several instances working in several companies, I could not physically detain someone. I can only chase them by foot. I couldn't stop them by any physical means. My only option would be to try to slow them down somehow until police could deal with them.

The guy in this vid was wrong, and he was a tool. He didn't touch her or physically detain her. He just blocked her way. I love how he started pulling the drawer in and out of the cabinet in the office after, and then kept on with threatening her about her cursing. LOL. Please.

It's everywhere, Aldi, Kaufland, Rewe. I understand why they make you pay (although I've never paid for one in my life), but I don't appreciate being told to open my bag and show it. It's just assuming I'm a criminal.

But everyone is a potential criminal.
You're not being profiled or singled out, it's just standard procedure.
Yes, it's unnecessary and a bit silly, but it's no different from being asked for ID even though you look old enough.

Mendrox

As I said, that is something "new" (5-6 years) since many people used that to steal stuff. so it's okay and a normal procedure. Sometimes people also have things in the cart and forget to put them on, because they went under the bag (the reason why you are asked to hold it up).

rjinaz

A little different but I worked security for a Walmart first day. I basically stood there at the door for 8 hours. I was expected to chase down anybody that might try to run through the exit with a cart, particularly diapers. I was expected to actually use handcuffs. This was a rough part of the city, Phoenix. As I stood there for my first day insults were thrown at me regularly. Things like "try to arrest me and I'll mess you up". Eventually I started laughing. $9.50 an hour for this shit? NOPE. I didn't return the next day.

A little different but I worked security for a Walmart first day. I basically stood there at the door for 8 hours. I was expected to chase down anybody that might try to run through the exit with a cart, particularly diapers. I was expected to actually use handcuffs. This was a rough part of the city, Phoenix. As I stood there for my first day insults were thrown at me regularly. Things like "try to arrest me and I'll mess you up". Eventually I started laughing. $9.50 an hour for this shit? NOPE. I didn't return the next day.

They pay you $15/h now.

Velcro Fly

That lady is going to do at LEAST 5-10 in cussing jail.

She's going into the cussing hall of fame for that use of the f word and for using my favorite phrase calling him a piece of shit.

If the guy would have just been nice about it from the get go instead of being a huge fucking prick things would have likely ended differently.

Although it is good to know there are people out there who will dehumanize another human being over a $7 stuffed animal. Dude probably never had any authority in his life haha

Did you have training for the possible handcuffing or were you just thrown in the deep end?

It is legal here and typical.

The law:
There must be a prominent sign at the entrance stating it as a condition of entry.
The checker must not touch anything, only look.
The customer may refuse and the checker can require them to leave.

Nobody wants to ask to check people's bags. :(

Looked like this douchenozzle wanted to, guy gets to act all high and mighty being an asshole.

Neith

Banned
Isn't this defamation and prosecutable?

Jesus. As if we need more bullshit tying up our courts. And no the case is super weak. It's his job they can make mistakes. Her end doesn't look so hot on the video from a law perspective either.

With this mindset you might as well sue someone for telling you to fuck off too.

Clefargle

Jesus. As if we need more bullshit tying up our courts. And no the case is super weak. It's his job they can make mistakes. Her end doesn't look so hot on the video from a law perspective either.

What do you mean? How is she violating any laws?

Neith

Banned
What do you mean? How is she violating any laws?

Well for one she is telling him to fuck off a bunch. Arguments like that can actually get people into trouble if you are being super precise and law drunk. No one actually does anything about that really, but you can find laws that are being broken there.

Typically, for defamation you need to prove a couple things beyond a reasonable doubt and there isn't much to prove here from what I am seeing.

Now if this dude took the video himself, detained her for an hour or something, and then flaunted this video online that would be a different story.

Fun fact: most companies budget for shoplifting and don't care unless it exceeds their budget for it.

In most cases, it is more expensive to try to stop thievery than to just let it happen. How much it costs us all that matters so they don't care at all.

Source: I worked retail and was told this directly at an LP conference.
Walmart calls it shrinkage and the definitely budget for it at each store.

I had the pleasure of working there over ten years ago while I was going to college.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck 9.50 for that lol HELL NO. In a bad part of town that is literally risking your life for 9.50 ahhhhah.

I remember during my short stint in retail having to call the loss prevention guys one time because a couple of dudes had rolled up in a pickup truck and started stealing lawn mowers and all they did was call the cops and stand there and watch it happen with me. One of the dudes was like "I'm not gettin' shot for this shitty ass company over a lawn mower.", haha

zeemumu

I'm assuming he thought that she stole a barcode from another item and stuck it to the bottom of the lion and scanned it, but even if she'd done that the item listed on the receipt would say something entire different and the UPC's wouldn't match, which isn't exactly that hard to check. If the correct UPC for the lion is there and it's listed as a different price on the receipt, she would have had to have a cashier change the price for her.

Z_Y

So this showed up on my Facebook feed.

https://youtu.be/czfLBW3tlI4

I watched it all. Damn the schadenfreude is delicious.

Thinks he's all badass forcing someone in public by humiliating them as a shoplifter.
Mr. Rent a Cop here, doesn't know how discounts or receipts work!

Then I see on YouTube has videos galore, how far down does this rabbit hole go...

One of the videos has over 800,000 views. There is no chance he is employed by walmart anymore.

These comments are confusing me. Are there more videos like this of just this one guy?

I would like to go down the rabbit hole the OP did. But he gave no other examples. Sad!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LP laws vary state to state hence why you get different situations happening all over.

Usual rule of thumb is they can try to detain you and wait for the police, but companies don't like you to get physical. Also once you leave the premises don't persue.

Basically as another poster said corporate bakes in some of the money loss vs what could happen if things go south in the wrong way and the Corp gets sued.

zeemumu

The guy working asset protection at the Walmart that I used to work at didn't seem to have that hard a time because it was usually kids trying to sneak out with electronics that weren't locked down and the cops were never far from the store. At one point I had to sit in and watch the cops yell at the kids about how badly they messed up and how their parents might lose their apartment because of them and whatnot.

Greddleok

As I said, that is something "new" (5-6 years) since many people used that to steal stuff. so it's okay and a normal procedure. Sometimes people also have things in the cart and forget to put them on, because they went under the bag (the reason why you are asked to hold it up).

Why is it OK to treat your customers like criminals? That's the part I don't understand.

Top Bottom