• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart (Prevention Loss), the schadenfreude is delicious!

You are assuming a whole lot.
The person says "can ypu please open your bag", you do, you are thanked, you leave.
It's not the dystopian hellhole you seem to imagine.

I am talking about having to open your bag as a routine thing at the checkout, not about what happened in the video.
In both cases, ID and bag opening, it's a minor inconvenience for everyone, one that helps the store because some individuals cannot be trusted.

I've never been to Germany, so I'll take your word for it that this type of scenario consistently ends without drama.

I've lived in a couple of broke ass areas in the US, and pretty much every big store you go into has some maniac profiling and harassing the customers. They often don't have proper training, any real legal authority, or accountability. If they have been provided a Segway they will stand on it and yell down at you.

Literally the opening frame of the video (hands on cart, blocking her way) and I'm roiling inside.

I have zero doubt that if she was a man, or was with a man, this wouldn't have happened.

SexyFish

Banned
Why do you try to go to some logical extreme?
Explain why checking ID is reasonable, and looking into a bag for 2 seconds isn't.

Oh, and to answer your two questions:
Yes. No.
In the U.S., selling alcohol to a minor will get the store fined up the ass and possibly the cashier arrested, so it makes sense why that is reasonable.

Looking into the bags of customers when you have no reason to think they're stealing does nothing, except waste everyone's time.

I work at a Walmart while in college and the only time anyone checks any receipts is if the detector goes off, usually a quick 10 second look and they're done. That makes sense. Otherwise we're advised to use 'aggressive hospitality', which means if we see someone in the store look like they're trying to steal something we'll go up and ask if we can help them with finding anything. If someone is obviously stealing something (running out with carts full of items) we'll usually have someone follow and get a license plate for the police.

No need to make innocent customers feel like criminals.

Explain why checking ID is reasonable, and looking into a bag for 2 seconds isn't.

Yes. No.

selling alcohol to minors is illegal. im also not checked everywhere. some stores only need to check if i dont look 21. some have to no matter what, which i get either way.

the other is accusing me of being a criminal. youre looking into my bags for no reason other than you think anyone coming to buy stuff at your store is out to rob you.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you have to check bag sizes? This sounds so strange to me coming from Germany. The only thing that shop does is make people feel like they are thieves so I am not surprised people act rude.

eh. Saturn "security" in Germany once wanted to check my backpack. dumb fuckers. of course I'd forgotten that I had my scrubs dvds in it and they went ape shit lol, manager came and let me "leave" lol.

today I'd just say "no, call the police if you want to have a look"..but I've never been asked that again. but I also stopped going to saturn or other big stores.

Again, because they are potential criminals.
I don't see why checking bags in general is a problem.
Do you complain when someone on the train asks you for your ticket? When you are asked for ID when buying alcohol?
Why should the company blindly trust you?

Lmao

Checking ID go buy alcohol is a legal requirement. Asking to see someone's bag or receipt for things hey have already purchased and legally belong to them is not.

This is not in response to the video but to people who make our jobs miserable. I am a cashier at an independent supermarket. Part of my job is to check people's bags. Just for them to open it up so I can give it less than a second or attention if their bag is a certain size.

It is clearly signed at so many shops including mine that it is a condition of entry that you show your bags/receipts. And yet people act outraged, think I am accusing them of theft (no, it is my job to ask to check bags of a certain size), essentially tell me to profile people and not to check theirs (eg to only check school kids bags), or others accuse me of profiling, or a man abuse me for asking a woman to show her bag, saying that a woman should do it and glaring at me and yelling abuse at me. Or people saying they just stepped in a minute beforehand and didn't go near anything, as if I can be expected to keep track of every customer. Or people deny my request abusively. Or demanding that I get police to do it.

You know what I just do now? Not ask. Let my boss be displeased with me because I am sick of all the abuse that my conpletely polite requests got.

You should be mad at your employer for having such a stupid and pointless policy.

dpunk3

I didn't completely follow the exchange.

What happened between him showing her the $15 price (on the website?) which apparently supported him, and him acquiescing to the fact that he'd totally clowned himself?

What was the smoking gun for him? I couldn't make out his mumbles of contrition.

I would like the answer to this as well. Why did he concede he was wrong? The website supported him and she just said to ring it up. He didn't, so for all he knows she was doubling down on her bluff.

No, I don't think she stole anything. I'm just trying to understand what happened.

SexyFish

Banned
I would like the answer to this as well. Why did he concede he was wrong? The website supported him and she just said to ring it up. He didn't, so for all he knows she was doubling down on her bluff.

No, I don't think she stole anything. I'm just trying to understand what happened.

http://i.imgur.com/UwjVyeL.png

Sounds like the other guy found the clearance sticker right there at around 1:30 in the video

chekhonte

It has to do with posts about how people deal with bag checkers.

The idea is that it is silly to ask to check a small bag. If it can hold a loaf of bread is the general guide to go by. Though I assume not because bread is valuable but just that if it can contain a lot of things. It isn't vaguely airtight but it is probably a good general rule of thumb.

Most people don't act rude. Most people understand that checking bags isn't an allegation or even suspicion. It really isn't. I rarely think 'ooh this person might be stealing'. It is/was always 'that bag is of the size I should check, I will say these words and look'. Some people volunteer their bags (I do this!). It is just some people, but you really never know who and it can ruin a day.

Am I wrong in assuming this isn't asked in good faith? We could ban someone if they were a big issue for this and IIRC my supervisor called police on my first day for someone refusing to show their bag (who did not stop and kept walking briskly).

If forcing people to open their personal property isn't an allegation or suspicion then what is it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is not in response to the video but to people who make our jobs miserable. I am a cashier at an independent supermarket. Part of my job is to check people's bags. Just for them to open it up so I can give it less than a second or attention if their bag is a certain size.

It is clearly signed at so many shops including mine that it is a condition of entry that you show your bags/receipts. And yet people act outraged, think I am accusing them of theft (no, it is my job to ask to check bags of a certain size), essentially tell me to profile people and not to check theirs (eg to only check school kids bags), or others accuse me of profiling, or a man abuse me for asking a woman to show her bag, saying that a woman should do it and glaring at me and yelling abuse at me. Or people saying they just stepped in a minute beforehand and didn't go near anything, as if I can be expected to keep track of every customer. Or people deny my request abusively. Or demanding that I get police to do it.

You know what I just do now? Not ask. Let my boss be displeased with me because I am sick of all the abuse that my conpletely polite requests got.

Okay, so a few things:
1) Being polite doesn't get someone off the hook for doing something disagreeable. Kindness isn't sounding kind, it's being kind.

2) You correctly say it's not your fault, but the consumers have no way of airing their grievances with the person whose fault it is, so it not technically being your fault is not likely to be of comfort to consumers.

3) Bag checks are a policy that inconvenience consumers and provide no benefit to them. I would agree to a bag check if I got a discount on my next purchase. Employee shrink is a far greater challenge for retail than consumer shoplifting. The marginal impact of shoplifting on sticker prices is essentially zero. A company of course has a prerogative to do things that benefit themselves and not consumers, but consumers have a prerogative to respond negatively to those things. And also, most stores that do bag checks lie by claiming the bag checks are about protecting consumers, and it's offensive to be condescended to.

I personally do not abuse bag checkers (although I have walked past them a few times when I've been in a rush), but let's not lose sight of the actual problem here.

Lmao

Checking ID go buy alcohol is a legal requirement. Asking to see someone's bag or receipt for things hey have already purchased and legally belong to them is not.

Any store is perfectly in their right to ask to ask for proof of purchase. Otherwise you can walk out with anything and claim it's legally yours. A store belongs to someone and is private property which means they're allowed to check your bag if you enter it.

How did you not get burned for kidnapping? What if you were wrong?

You have to physically witness theft.

Yes. No.

I'll preface by saying I don't mind getting my bags checked as long as it's quick, if it's more than a minute, I'm more than mildly annoyed.

You act like someone checking the bag for 2 seconds actually does something. Let's say someone in AP actually discovers that the this one person actually *legitimately* stole an item and has it in the bag. There's nothing that AP person can legally do other than publicly shame that person (like this douche bag did in the video). So my question to you.. What does bag checking actually accomplish?
Nothing.

The proper protocol is follow the person on cam (or by "pretending" to work around the area he's in), catch the theft on cam & call the cops. Never confront the thief for stealing when you have no real authority to do so. Everything else is dumb rent-a-cop tactics.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I can't believe it isn't here. How is this not false imprisonment? They aren't police and theres plenty of times police can't even detain you.

IN Pa the law is basically you have no right to enter a private establishment even if the place sells goods and services. Therefore once you enter the premise, you are subject to whats called "good faith". So unless you do something that shows criminal intent of theft or fraud (popping off the tags from an unpaid shirt), no one "should" approach you demanding to search or recover items until you pass all "points of sale" . So stuffing you school bag full of DVD and games is completely legal until you pass the checkout counter. Detaining shoplifters is completely legal so long as you have " Line of sight" to the action of theft or fraud"

How did you not get burned for kidnapping? What if you were wrong?

First rule of loss prevention: If you didn't see it, it didn't happen. On camera or in person.

Also, "Booster Bags" (a bag lined with a layer of aluminum foil that blocks rfid signals so you dont "beep" when you walk out with stolen shit) will get you locked up even if you don't steal anything if you are in a retail environment and its a felony.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any store is perfectly in their right to ask to ask for proof of purchase.

A store is "perfectly in their right" to do virtually anything -- the question is whether what they're doing is practical, reasonable, and actually accomplishes anything.

Otherwise you can walk out with anything and claim it's legally yours.

... you can do this with bag checks too. Theft is theft, and not theft is not theft. The reason they do bag checking is for their own convenience of not needing to get law enforcement involved when they suspect someone is shoplifting but can't prove it and to deter other potential shoplifters from taking a chance. It's not because the bag checking has any force of law. If you don't want to have your bags checked, walk right on out.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
And a customer is well within their rights to tell the stores to fuck off. A store can't then hold you hostage and make you prove that you aren't a criminal:

This is when the LP officer better be right, or his his is fired and the company is out of some cash, $5000 was the standard settlement. You have people who's only job in life is to trick the LP into thinking that they stole something so you approach them and they sue the company for deformation of character. If the Lp agent is insistent then you call the police and or sheriff and let them decide, no different than if a guy on the street accuses another guy of stealing from his car or something.

demigod

I don't mind Best Buy, Fry's, Costco for checking my receipt. What pisses me off is Walmart checking MINE instead of the person in front of me(i go with my wife and 4 year old son). Must be because i'm asian. I didn't want to make a scene because she was a very old lady, but next time i probably will.

DQDQDQ

My problem with the receipt checkers isn't a legality question, it's that the whole thing is security theater. They aren't preventing theft. If I wanted to steal from Wal-Mart it would be incredibly easy.

We bought $200 of groceries and the cart was full. A single gallon of milk was left unbagged since they, you know, have their own handle built in. Red alert! The doorman had to scour through the long receipt to make sure we paid for the 97 cent gallon of milk.

I said "Sure, you got me. I bought everything else and thought I could steal the cheapest thing in the cart by placing it in clear view instead of hiding it under all of this other stuff"

"I'm just doing my job"

An all-time classic defense.

One time the door person abandoned her post, so like anybody should do in that situation I just left the building. She comes chasing after me across the parking lot yelling that she "must" check my receipt.

It's absurd. I think they should operate like Scrabble challenges. You want to hold me up and make an implication of theft? Fine. But when you check my receipt item by item and see I've stolen nothing I get a refund and my entire cart for free. There needs to be some risk to the store for the amount of my time they waste.

I get it though, I have no rights in your privately owned building so you are free to treat me like trash. The same companies worried about Amazon putting them out of business are happy to make their default position that of "all customers are thieves." I can't wait for the day Amazon grocery expands to my area.

My problem with the receipt checkers isn't a legality question, it's that the whole thing is security theater. They aren't preventing theft. If I wanted to steal from Wal-Mart it would be incredibly easy.

We bought $200 of groceries and the cart was full. A single gallon of milk was left unbagged since they, you know, have their own handle built in. Red alert! The doorman had to scour through the long receipt to make sure we paid for the 97 cent gallon of milk.

I said "Sure, you got me. I bought everything else and thought I could steal the cheapest thing in the cart by placing it in clear view instead of hiding it under all of this other stuff"

"I'm just doing my job"

An all-time classic defense.

One time the door person abandoned her post, so like anybody should do in that situation I just left the building. She comes chasing after me across the parking lot yelling that she "must" check my receipt.

It's absurd. I think they should operate like Scrabble challenges. You want to hold me up and make an implication of theft? Fine. But when you check my receipt item by item and see I've stolen nothing I get a refund and my entire cart for free. There needs to be some risk to the store for the amount of my time they waste.

I get it though, I have no rights in your privately owned building so you are free to treat me like trash. The same companies worried about Amazon putting them out of business are happy to make their default position that of "all customers are thieves." I can't wait for the day Amazon grocery expands to my area.

You do understand that sometimes they are there to actually help the customer?

Case and example one time at Costco I didn't notice the cashier scan something twice when I only had one. Person working the door checked my receipt saw that I had less items than the receipt showed, realized they double scanned something else, and I got my money back on something I didn't buy.

I will say most of the time it's just "security theater" because a place like Wal*Mart really doesn't care about theft.

I worked there during one Black Friday and they had the genius idea of leaving all the game cases wide open so people didn't have to wait for someone to unlock it. What happened? I went into the bathroom which was adjacent to electronics and found about 15 gutted video game cases. They will look the other way at any chance to sell more merchandise.

Jeremy

Case and example one time at Costco I didn't notice the cashier scan something twice when I only had one. Person working the door checked my receipt saw that I had less items than the receipt showed, realized they double scanned something else, and I got my money back on something I didn't buy.

I will say most of the time it's just "security theater" because a place like Wal*Mart really doesn't care about theft.

I worked there during one Black Friday and they had the genius idea of leaving all the game cases wide open so people didn't have to wait for someone to unlock it. What happened? I went into the bathroom which was adjacent to electronics and found about 15 gutted video game cases. They will look the other way at any chance to sell more merchandise.

Even though you're using Costco as an example...

Do they also only selectively help aside from selectively checking your receipt/searching your cart?

Are they being paid to look at your receipt for you so you don't fuck up when you completely ignore it?

Also, I'm willing to bet yours will be one of few, if any, where someone at the door has helped instead of harassed.

Even though you're using Costco as an example...

Do they also only selectively help aside from selectively checking your receipt/searching your cart?

Are they being paid to look at your receipt for you so you don't fuck up when you completely ignore it?

Also, I'm willing to bet yours will be one of few, if any, where someone at the door has helped instead of harassed.

They are being paid to do both, though I'm sure the majority of the time it's too look for theft versus a cashier overcharging someone.

I switched all my merchandise purchases over to Amazon. It's great not being treated like a criminal while I shop.

I do Costco for groceries. Costco does do receipt checks... but it's usually an 80 year old super friendly gentlemen in a wheelchair that just looks at the cart for all of 2 seconds and then puts his yellow highlight on the receipt. I'm okay with that two seconds of my time providing that dude with employment.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I switched all my merchandise purchases over to Amazon. It's great not being treated like a criminal while I shop.

I do Costco for groceries. Costco does do receipt checks... but it's usually an 80 year old super friendly gentlemen in a wheelchair that just looks at the cart for all of 2 seconds and then puts his yellow highlight on the receipt. I'm okay with that two seconds of my time providing that dude with employment.

Sometimes it benefits in your favor!

As posted above, sometimes double scans go through.

The item count and what your leaving with do stand out and the people are very nice and helpful.
My uncle bought diapers for his granddaughter, he bought 2 boxes was charged 3, he also had stuff for his house and the receipt was long...

He was aloofedby the total being a little bit too high, but paid no mind to it, said he will look it over in the car.
Good for him this cool dude counted everything and went your missing something

Uncle was confused, receipt showed 3 boxes rather than 2
Refund get.
Now my uncle checks the whole receipt there with pricing, sorry if line gets backed up, but it's better to leave with items you purchased.

Also Costco you buy in Bulk and big items, so it takes roughly 5-10 seconds to show your cart.
They look at receipt and how many items it has and count how many items in your cart, if they match, yellow tag marked.

This dickhead thought he got the better of this lady, going I know that Lion is $15!, not seeing the tag and the receipt for $7 charged, but he knew in his heart of hearts it was $15
Maybe he was using the simba plush as a pleasure toy so he knew the price, just like that GAFfer friend fron Amin Confessions... "Hakuna Matata"

In the death of American physical retail, we haven't talked enough about the mechanisms for loss protection and all the other slimy things managers do. I can't say much about the long term effects but i can tell you about the effects of current policies. It leaves a bad taste and I'm down with the new economy.

I love Uber and cab drivers acting like victims after they have left black people on the corner for decades. I love Amazon and not having to deal with obvious losers who can't apologize after a clear mistake.

Soon, someone will deliver a restaurant experience to my door and i can stop eating at these restaurants with a shit eating grin, terrible service to people they "think" won't give them a good tip. But when a recession hits, they stand outside the door, begging for people to walk in or look at the menu.

Same.

Every cabby who turned his light off right before picking me up/lied about their CC machine etc and the other shit you listed. They can all get fucked, I don't want to be near them.

You should be mad at your employer for having such a stupid and pointless policy.
I don't like that they put me in that situation. But why not also at the people who abuse me for doing my job politely as consistently with the sign at the entrance of the store and so many other stores?
If forcing people to open their personal property isn't an allegation or suspicion then what is it?
All these signs in employee areas demanding we check all bags and the bosses requiring it are what we are thinking of, not thinking that someone is stealing. They are also not being forced to show their bags.
Okay, so a few things:
1) Being polite doesn't get someone off the hook for doing something disagreeable. Kindness isn't sounding kind, it's being kind.

2) You correctly say it's not your fault, but the consumers have no way of airing their grievances with the person whose fault it is, so it not technically being your fault is not likely to be of comfort to consumers.

3) Bag checks are a policy that inconvenience consumers and provide no benefit to them. I would agree to a bag check if I got a discount on my next purchase. Employee shrink is a far greater challenge for retail than consumer shoplifting. The marginal impact of shoplifting on sticker prices is essentially zero. A company of course has a prerogative to do things that benefit themselves and not consumers, but consumers have a prerogative to respond negatively to those things. And also, most stores that do bag checks lie by claiming the bag checks are about protecting consumers, and it's offensive to be condescended to.

I personally do not abuse bag checkers (although I have walked past them a few times when I've been in a rush), but let's not lose sight of the actual problem here.
I can understand the point of view that a few people have, that it is an inherently nasty policy to have as a (clearly posted) condition of entry that we will ask to check bags. Only a small minority of people have that view and most consider it reasonable. I mean, bring a big bag into a shop that says upon entry they can ask to check...

Who cares if they are hitting out at the wrong target, someone is right there so that makes them fair game.

Employees are treated as 'potential criminals' too if people frame it like that. There are various rules we have to follow to show that we aren't stealing things and our work is checked. We aren't allowed to serve friends or family. Things we buy or bring in from outside need to be stickered and so on.

So glad Canadian Walmart stores don't have loss prevention lol. I've never had my receipt checked. They even have self-checkout!

DQDQDQ

When I have $200 of groceries bagged and they search the receipt line by line for the one gallon of milk that is unbagged, never looking through even one of the cart full of bags, they aren't there to help me.

I'm perfectly capable of making sure I am not double charged for items, which is why I watch the monitor when a cashier is doing it. If I do self checkout, I simply just don't double scan items. It's not hard.

element

It is clear that the other sales guy notices the clearance price tag and points it out when the other guy says "I don't want to deal with this".

The other guy deserves a gold star for telling the woman to have a nice day.

Top Bottom