• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart (Prevention Loss), the schadenfreude is delicious!

Why is it OK to treat your customers like criminals? That's the part I don't understand.

Again, because they are potential criminals.
I don't see why checking bags in general is a problem.
Do you complain when someone on the train asks you for your ticket? When you are asked for ID when buying alcohol?
Why should the company blindly trust you?

Do you complain when someone on the train asks you for your ticket? When you are asked for ID when buying alcohol?

I don't shop anywhere where I'm treated like a potential criminal. Check my bag once and I never come back.

Been in this situation more than once at Walmart and it played out pretty much exactly the same way. To the people saying "no one wants to do bag checks", that certainly is not my experience. There are plenty of people that enjoy exercising some perceived power or authority over others.

I worked loss prevention at a Ross, and from what I hear (I work at Walmart) it's almost the same as Ross. He made a rookie mistake by confronting a customer for shoplifting. Also, isn't he supposed to be in uniform?... EDIT: No they are they not.

Macy's I hear is a fucking shitshow compared to this and rife with racial profiling. The fact they can physically detain people is equally ridiculous.

Walmart calls it shrinkage and the definitely budget for it at each store.

I had the pleasure of working there over ten years ago while I was going to college.

I worked there about 10 years ago as well. At the time, they had actually announced that they would be going after shoplifters less, and focus more on employee thedt as that was actually the main source of shrinkage.

I definitely saw it a lot. There weren't cameras on the truck trailers, or bathrooms, or stash shit outside after a manager opened the back door so people could get cardboard bales taken outside.

My favorite was that three or four cashier's got busted price matching DVDs down to a $1 a piece for each other. Super fucking stupid because managers print a list of all price matched items for the day at the end of the night. They had them all arrested. Was pretty funny, 'cause after the first one was arrested at the store, they decided to call the others and tell them they could either come in now and be arrested, or the cops would come to their houses. Goofy shit.

I worked loss prevention at a Ross, and from what I hear (I work at Walmart) it's almost the same as Ross. He made a rookie mistake by confronting a customer for shoplifting. Also, isn't he supposed to be in uniform?...

When I worked at Walmart, the loss prevention guy wore normal clothes and walked the store. They wanted him to fit in like a normal customer. He also confronted people all the time, but not like this. He was a pretty chill dude. He and a manager would just approach the customer, ask them to the back, and call the cops. If anyone ran, there was no chasing them or anything. Just let them go so no one got hurt.

I worked loss prevention at a Ross, and from what I hear (I work at Walmart) it's almost the same as Ross. He made a rookie mistake by confronting a customer for shoplifting. Also, isn't he supposed to be in uniform?...

Macy's I hear is a fucking shitshow compared to this and rife with racial profiling. The fact they can physically detain people is equally ridiculous.

My sister and her friend tried to shoplift bathing suits from Macy's when they were like 15, and two men and a woman who worked for Macy's brought the girls to a little room and made them strip down to their underwear to verify that they didn't have anything else. These weren't cops or anything, they were just people that worked at Macy's who thought they had that kind of authority. When my dad showed up he went fucking apeshit and shamed all of the employees and dragged the girls out before the cops could come and arrest them for shoplifting.

Hari Seldon

I don't shop anywhere where I'm treated like a potential criminal. Check my bag once and I never come back.

Yeah same, although luckily I don't do much physical shopping anymore anyway. I once had a Walmart dude try and open my sealed Pharmacy bag. Like dude, that is illegal lol. I started just walking past them, I'm not waiting in a queue to leave a store unless it is Sams Club where I signed a contract to let them.

bigkrev

My local Walmarts don't have receipt checkers. Only place I see them is Best Buy, and they will only check your receipt if you are leaving with items from somewhere other than the main registers (ie, Customer Service for an online pick-up, a Cellphone you bought from the mobile area of the store, ect)

Better not go shopping in (many stores in) Germany then.
Explain why this is worse than asking for ID.
Or would that also drive you away as a customer?
I mean, they obviously assume you might try to purchase something which would be illegal.

"Keep cussing, see where that gets you." (Veiled threat about getting her arrested for disorderly conduct or some other technicality after he wasted her time and tried to embarrass her.)

I love that "Ooh, you gonna take me to Cussin' Jail" response.

The cringe in this thread is strong. Just seems like a really shitty mistake a kid made, he's trying to do his job.

Aww, poor "kid". How rude of her, after he didn't try to embarrass her- oh, he did? Well, after he apologized for his mistake- Oh, he didn't? He just threatened her more? Huh. Poor "kid".

Jeff-DSA

That guy's thoughts went from "guess who is employee of the month in July?" to "I'm going to become a meme."

I don't feel bad for him in the least.

I mean, they obviously assume you might try to purchase something which would be illegal.

Asking for an ID is more for covering the store so they make sure they are not selling alcohol to anyone underage. They aren't accusing you of anything just covering their ass.

Putting your hands on someones cart, blocking their means of leaving the store, and asking to see their receipt before they leave is basically saying "hey we think you stole something, now prove you didn't" It doesn't equate out to "are you old enough to buy this"

AP at Walmart dont wear uniforms. Guy is fired either way. Making a bad stop is an instant termination. You cant just suspect someone is stealing and stop them. You have to be 100% certain that person stole an item.

Some people have mentioned signs warning of bag searches and receipt checks but are those legally binding? AFAIK places like Costco can require that you submit to receipt checks because you agree to it when you sign the membership contract, but any other place you can just walk out unless they get the police involved and press charges for shoplifting.

Theres a difference between looking at a receipt and digging through bags. A door greeter can ask to see your receipt. Theres nothing wrong with them asking for it. Why make things harder? Blame the people shop lifting.

Ensoul

The cringe in this thread is strong. Just seems like a really shitty mistake a kid made, he's trying to do his job.

Everyone makes mistakes but maybe he should have apologized after he tried to embarrass her? Not a good look flat out accusing someone of stealing and being 100% wrong.

A mistake that cost him his job. You can't do that shit as AP. They have extensive training and drill it into their skulls a single mistake=termination. They dont make quotas for this shit. Theres no excuse for his behavior. Guy deserves to be term'd.

FyreWulff

AP is plainsclothes at Walmart

I don't think that an altercation with a tiny, purple-faced fascist should be built into every transaction by design. When stores employ these methods of loss prevention I just shop online instead.

NYR

Um. NO. There is a way to be professional and that ass hat was hardly that, he embarrassed himself and the organization he was hired to represent. Don't reward horrible customer service and just write it off as "just doing their job". He can go pick up garbage if he doesn't want to deal with people.

Teaching critical thinking skills isn't high on the curriculum in the US huh?

Hell, teaching common sense doesn't seem to be on their either...

I work as a manager at Walmart,dude is so fired. This is a major fuck up. You have to be 100% SURE that they stole something! Normally it would be a written up, but since this was recorded and is now going viral. Yea, dudes toast. I would have to fire him.

usctrojan

Will we get some justice tho? I feel like these things always lose steam after a while. Tmartin is probably still out of jail despite manipulating his own gambling ring, Cambodian n-word dbag is getting his 97 Altima waxed today and this guy will probably just scoop up a new role at JCPenney loss prevention.

I was falsely stopped for shoplifting at a Menards by someone in plain clothes in the parking lot (think Home Depot). I didn't go ballistic like this woman. Yeah it was embarrassing, but I figured she was just doing her job.

I'm shocked to hear one false stop and your terminated is a rule. I mean, eventually someone will make a mistake. Why would anyone take this gig?

Except he's told before he even starts his job on the floor to never be in these situations. The situation is much bigger than "just a really shitty mistake". It's not an easy mistake to make.

I don't think that an altercation with a tiny, purple-faced fascist should be built into every transaction by design. When stores employ these methods of loss prevention I just shop online instead.
You are assuming a whole lot.
The person says "can ypu please open your bag", you do, you are thanked, you leave.
It's not the dystopian hellhole you seem to imagine.

Asking for an ID is more for covering the store so they make sure they are not selling alcohol to anyone underage. They aren't accusing you of anything just covering their ass.

Putting your hands on someones cart, blocking their means of leaving the store, and asking to see their receipt before they leave is basically saying "hey we think you stole something, now prove you didn't" It doesn't equate out to "are you old enough to buy this"
I am talking about having to open your bag as a routine thing at the checkout, not about what happened in the video.
In both cases, ID and bag opening, it's a minor inconvenience for everyone, one that helps the store because some individuals cannot be trusted.

I almost reflexively show my receipt to the door people at big box stores out of courtesy; most of them are just doing their job.

But what compels me from just walking away if they start making unfounded accusations or ask me to come with them into a private room? They're not law enforcement.

Gattsu25

Banned
As someone who, back when I lived in Florida, was constantly shadowed by loss prevention and yet has never shoplifted a goddamned thing in my entire life: I hate interacting with these people.

I don't begrudge them for taking the job, times are tough and I get it. But y'all don't have to treat me like a thief every time I step into the damned store. Out of the bigger chains, Publix is the worst in this regard.

It's $18.50. Throw them both in jail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lion-Guard-Jumbo-Plush-Kion/47389739

Wait, this may be the jumbo size. ��

That's not it. It shows up as $15 on their site, but it's out of stock.

There is what appears to be a small yellow sticker on the front bottom left of the packaging in the video. My guess is that it is a clearance sticker that said the price she was saying.

Teaching critical thinking skills isn't high on the curriculum in the US huh?

Hell, teaching common sense doesn't seem to be on their either...

Fuck off with this bullshit. Like people all over the world don't let the smallest amount of power go to their head.

they aren't suppose to stop you if you leave

but some of the dumb fuckers might try to

Fairly certain this is a misconception as it isnt universal. It depends on the state and the store. In some places they actually can legally detain you via "reasonable measures". Basically they cant manhandle you or throw you to the ground, but IIRC there wasa recent incident with a teenage girl where tbey tried to detain her with minimal physical intervention (still some mind you) and were within their legal grounds to do so. Then the girl assaulted them, which gave them the authority to *forcibly* detain her or something.

The idea that you are home free if you make it out of the store is a common misconception, I think. I am not 100% sure though.

OT: This guy was a real tool and will likely lose his job.

Fairly certain this is a misconception as it isnt universal. It depends on the state and the store. In some places they actually can legally detain you via "reasonable measures". Basically they cant manhandle you or throw you to the ground, but IIRC there wasa recent incident with a teenage girl where tbey tried to detain her with minimal physical intervention (still some mind you) and were within their legal grounds to do so. Then the girl assaulted them, which gave them the authority to *forcibly* detain her or something.

The idea that you are home free if you make it out of the store is a common misconception, I think. I am not 100% sure though.

OT: This guy was a real tool and will likely lose his job.

It does depend but the majority of states allow you to leave. Know your laws and fuck walmart.

Two life rules everyone should live by.

SexyFish

Banned
Yeah. The main speaker is human garbage. Fuck people who think like this walking trash.

Someone getting this upset at a comedy podcast. Lord.

Also, this dude is totally getting his name blasted all over Facebook, dude is going to be fucked from jobs for a good while. Delicious.

this shit can fuck riiiight off.

Everyone that comes in is a potential criminal?

do you walk around public spaces going from cover to cover cause everyone is a potential murderer?

shira

Facebook Live
#motherfucker
laugh.gif

this shit can fuck riiiight off.

Everyone that comes in is a potential criminal?

do you walk around public spaces going from cover to cover cause everyone is a potential murderer?

Why do you try to go to some logical extreme?
Explain why checking ID is reasonable, and looking into a bag for 2 seconds isn't.

Oh, and to answer your two questions:
Yes. No.

Top Bottom