• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: House passes Russia sanctions bill, setting up veto dilemma for Trump

How will this bill affect future presidents? Is it only about these particular sanctions, or is it for any sanctions or potential sanctions against other countries?

theWB27

Trump is going to veto the hell out of this and then blast everyone who voted yes. Then blast them again when the veto is overridden.

I expect no grace on trumps behalf.

Media

I'm behind, what did Iran do since the Obama thing that pissed off Republicans? I thought they had settled down.

So? What does that matter lol? He's still going to put any effort to lifting sanctions that he can, even if they're fruitless. That is what he is there to do, guys.
Unless you can actually suggest this magic course of action, I don't see what you are getting at.
What is he going to do?

This is passing.

JettDash

So? What does that matter lol? He's still going to put any effort to lifting sanctions that he can, even if they're fruitless. That is what he is there to do, guys.

If that were the case he would have signed an executive order lifting sanctions as soon as he got into office.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Trump is going to veto the hell out of this and then blast everyone who voted yes. Then blast them again when the veto is overridden.

I mean there is a first time for everything, right?

rambis

Banned
If that were the case he would have signed an executive order lifting sanctions as soon as he got into office.

TBF I think this would've been well under way if Trump could've squashed Russiagate by now. Sessions recusal does bite him multiple ways.

Kusagari

So is the House not needed to stop a pocket veto?

The Senate being in turtle mode to stop recess appointments is enough?

This is what I expect him to do, just make it worse for himself.

He'll spend his entire vacation watching international news making fun of him.

JettDash

TBF I think this would've been well under way if Trump could've squashed Russiagate by now. Sessions recusal does bite him multiple ways.

Perhaps but Shauni says that Trump will do everything he can to lift sanctions and not care how it looks. Yet Trump could have lifted sanctions his first day by signing a piece of paper yet didn't.

JettDash

That could be struck down, too, and was too soon.

It could only be struck down by Congress passing a law. Like they are doing now.

And too soon. I thought that Trump will do everything he can to lift sanctions and not care how it looks?

He'll be complaining about carrying the GoP over the finish line on his back and how he's now being treated poorly by them - when he meets with the Girl Scouts.

So, Trump, do you want to look like Russia's bitch, or the GOP's bitch?

I guess we get to find out which hand feeds him more, at least.

Really, Putin's main goal is to Balkanize the US and make democracy look like a failed experiment while making himself look good. This sanctions package doesn't change any of that. He already won regardless of outcome.

My guess is Trump vetoes this then gets salty when it gets overridden. But then the harder he tries to look strong the weaker he appears.

JettDash

I'm not sure if it was via EO, but I thought that's exactly what he did until the Flynn shit blew up.

He was trying to get it done through the State Department without anyone finding out.

If he wanted, he could have just signed an EO and undone all the sanctions Obama put on Russia. But then that would be a matter of record.

Yes, like I...literally just said.

Alright man, just forget it lol.

How does Trump make congress pass a law for the sole purpose of getting around a bill they approve of, BEFORE the first one passes?!

Are you high? As a person who is high right now, are you high?

Shauni

How does Trump make congress pass a law for the sole purpose of getting around a bill they approve of, BEFORE the first one passes?!

Are you high? As a person who is high right now, are you high?

You must be pretty high, because that's fuck all of what I said. Like, not even remotely haha

JettDash

Yes, like I...literally just said.

Alright man, just forget it lol.

So he didn't undo the sanctions because that could be undone by Congress by making them law. Like they are now. Because the right time to do it is somehow after Congress has made it law?

Shauni

So he didn't undo the sanctions because that could be undone by Congress by making them law. Like they are now. Because the right time to do it is somehow after Congress has made it law?

Are you high, too? Lol, like good Lord guys, what in the bloody fuck are you even talking about now?

JettDash

Are you high, too? Lol, like good Lord guys, what in the bloody fuck are you even talking about now?

You're the one who says Trump will do anything to get rid of sanctions and won't care how it looks. Then you explain away the fact that he could have but hasn't with some explanation that doesn't make sense.

Fergie

Banned
Is there a reason Rohrabacher yes?
e51b6aa00d074946e753cb6a4d6ddba4_100_100.png

Shauni

You're the one who says Trump will do anything to get rid of sanctions and won't care how it looks. Then you explain away the fact that he could have but hasn't with some explanation that doesn't make sense.

Okay, I see the confusion now I think, and maybe it's my fault. The whole thing that started this was wondering why Trump would veto this even though it's veto-proof because of 'optics,' and I was saying Trump doesn't care about optics when it comes to Russia and Russia sanctions when it's presented to him. He obviously cares at least somewhat since he's tried to do it under the radar, but when it's actually forced in front of him (asking about election hacking, meeting with Putin, firing Comey, etc.) he's never gave any shits about the optics, so I don't see why this veto situation will be different. I was just saying it's his priority to lift sanctions as an aside to the point.

I think the case is that Trump absolutely does care about optics but he's also really, really fucking dumb and doesn't grasp even the most basic causal relationships in social situations.

Which, not coincidentally, makes him a sterling champion of the FOX News audience.

Laekon

Is this really as tough as it should/could be towards Russia?

Also what has Iran done recently? I thought the state department had been signing off on their adherence to the last deal.

He won't veto it, as he'd be overridden.

Which means he'll come out for it and use it to establish his see-I-can-fuck-with-Russia-too bonafides. Doesn't really have another play.

Unless he levels up in idiocy of course and rages against it, I guess that's always possible.

Zolo

Which means he'll come out for it and use it to establish his see-I-can-fuck-with-Russia-too bonafides. Doesn't really have another play.

Unless he levels up in idiocy of course, I guess that's always possible.

This is what I'm expecting. I wouldn't be suprrised if him and Putin have mostly given up on sanctions at this point anyway. I expect they were likely trying to bide time though for Russia to help out a lot in the Middle East or something though.

Trump ruins Obama Cuba relations
Congress ruins Obama Iran relations

But hey Russia got sanctioned, which barely impacts USA but impacts EU

Unless he levels up in idiocy of course and rages against it, I guess that's always possible.

This.

commedieu

Banned

He's a moron though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So three possibilities...

1. Trump signs it, and points to it constantly, saying "see, Russia has been punished. Why is the fake news talking about this still?"
2. He vetos it, and Congress overrides the veto
3. He vetos it, and every GOP member of congress bends the knee and doesn't override veto.

Shauni

Trump ruins Obama Cuba relations
Congress ruins Obama Iran relations

But hey Russia got sanctioned, which barely impacts USA but impacts EU

Russia played a significant role in affecting our election. Yeah, no impact lol

Levels up? He admitted to obstruction of Justice on live TV. He doesn't need the XP, he might be maxed out

Levels up? He admitted to obstruction of Justice on live TV. He doesn't need the XP, he might be maxed out
Oh he's maxed for sure, but he's deep into the Paragon points now, and running major grifts on the American people so he can max out his golf set gear.

Top Bottom