• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Review thread. (RT= 96%)

Mutant

I'd rather have a trilogy where the weakest film is the first one than where the weakest film is the last one. An arc that continuously succeeds my expectations is better than an arc where the final movie is a dud.

Smart by Fox to lift embargo so early. The movie is inbetween Spidey and Dunkirk....hopefully this ends up being just as successful as Dawn.

Didn't do crazy business in the states but ended up over 700m WW which is awesome. Hopefully general audience are ready for two bleak ass movies back to back in this and Dunkirk.

I loved the original 5, even if all of them sans the first were cheesy and lower than B movie quality.

I saw Rise in theaters but never got around to seeing Dawn. I probably should and then see this one. Do they have a specific number planned? Do they still claim it's linked to the original?

I'd rather have a trilogy where the weakest film is the first one than where the weakest film is the last one. An arc that continuously succeeds my expectations is better than an arc where the final movie is a dud.
I agree, but even so, calling Rise the "weakest one" is bit of disservice to it, as it is still a damn good movie in its own right.

But yes, Dawn was better than Rise, and it's looking like War will be just as good, if not better than Dawn.

I really want to see this iteration writ large. The series has yet to feel like a "planet" of apes. It's more like "small west coast region of the apes".
While there is some truth to that, honestly, I would say none of the Apes movies have a "planet feeling." Even the original movie/series does not really get into what's happening with the rest of the planet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Those reviews.....
giphy.gif

While there is some truth to that, honestly, I would say none of the Apes movies have a "planet feeling." Even the original movie/series does not really get into what's happening with the rest of the planet.

Wasn't there a bunch of crazy time travel bullshit and it was clear the apes controlled the whole planet? I guess it's just never been clear to me in this series whether there are other bands of apes or not.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wait these movies are genuinely good? I always thought they were throwaway quality stuff like Xmen Apocalypse and Jurassic World...

Is this a 21 Jump Street thing of this bad sounding idea actually being awesome

The first is surprising good.

The second is a legit great blockbuster, like it effortlessly makes an entertaining film with spectacle, while having strong characters, a rich world, and manages to hit the sort of high brow intellectual and low brow entertainment at the same time.

I'd feel like it's the best blockbuster of the decade still.

Basically, the series is punching far above what was expected of it and managing to exceed expectations.

Wasn't there a bunch of crazy time travel bullshit and it was clear the apes controlled the whole planet? I guess it's just never been clear to me in this series whether there are other bands of apes or not.
I more had the original movie/series in my mind, but yes, you are correct.

Now, less said about Burton's Apes the better.

You know, I didn't think Rise was that bad of a film. It was serviceable and did its purpose, with a rousing battle scene at the end of the film. It may not have been a Dark Knight, but I really liked what they were setting up, even before they made the announcement for a sequel. In your opinion, would Rise be a film worth revisiting if Dawn and War were not greenlit? Across the board, is it considered a legit good movie, because it seems to get overshadowed by Dawn.

JdFoX187

Banned

There wasn't really a need to do so. The ending of the original sets up how the entire world was consumed by nuclear war. The second follows up on that theme, and eventually nukes the whole damn earth once and for all. Then the final movies show society crumbling. They didn't exactly show society across the globe, but it's heavily inferred the entire world became a literal planet of the apes.

Monocle

I love that this is getting such a positive critical reception. The series is better than it had any right to be. Awesome.

Huge fan of the classics but haven't seen any of the new ones.
They are so good. Do yourself a favor and check out the first two before the third leaves theaters.

Ithil

That Andy Serkis really doesn't get any proper awards recognition for his performances in these films is absurd.

As a lifelong fan, I have never considered SW to be sci-fi. It's a fantasy in a sci-fi setting.
Lol. Then this series is alternate history not sci-fi. Let's quit with semantics and wordplay.

Edit: wait a second...is the Matt Damon plant of the apes still a part of this universe? They should just retcon that trash.

This has got to be one of the low key best ongoing film series right now. It's kind of incredible how much these have flown under the radar. Can't wait to see this.

Mariolee

Lol. Then this series is alternate history not sci-fi. Let's quit with semantics and wordplay.

Edit: wait a second...is the Matt Damon plant of the apes still a part of this universe? They should just retcon that trash.

I would watch Plant of the Apes starring Matt Damon.

You mean Mark Wahlberg and no it's not in the same universe.

BTW, I'm not surprised this is reportedly the best one yet of the Reboot Trilogy. While Rise was very good, the movies have been getting progressively better, and building to this moment, so no surprise.

Either way, hyped as all hell.

BTW, I'm not surprised this is reportedly the best one yet of the Reboot Trilogy. While Rise was very good, the movies have been getting progressively better, and building to this moment, so no surprise.

Either way, hyped as all hell.

I think they finally realized they can focus on the characters people actually give a fuck about in these movies...the apes. This is gonna be peak Serkis and motion capture character animation at its finest. Yea, I said it James Cameron.

Wrong white dude it's was Marky Mark minus the funky bunch and he ruins just about every movie he is in.

I was worried this one would dive too far into action territory but so far the reviews indicate it's just as character driven as the previous two which makes me very excited.

I can't wait to see it

Matt Reeves is going to make one hell of a Batman movie, isn't he? After Cloverfield, Let Me In, and Apes, I think I trust him more than Nolan, to be honest.

E-phonk

Banned
Just rewatched Rise & Dawn last week, totally psyched for this. And definitely interested in anything Matt Reeves does next.

I'm curious if the screenwriters for Dawn also had a working treatment for War as well. I wish Dark Knight Rises could have been as good as this film is gearing up to be.

Also, would saving Koba for War have helped or harmed this film? And what opportunities in War would have been lost had they gone with Koba instead of the Colonel?

Interesting that our own Expendable. didn't think highly of it.

"As Michael Giacchino’s score shrieks with an over-the-top, cheeky intensity, there’s the notion that Reeves has embraced a sense of winking fun as we near the climax this trilogy has been lumbering towards. That sensation quickly dissipates as much of the next two-plus hours finds Reeves feigning character development with drawn-out close-ups that register as little more than an ostentatious showcase for the peerless visual effects."

"Mark Bomback and Reeves’ script, while intelligibly uncomplicated structure-wise as it embraces western tropes, is also thinly sketched, pre-supposing one’s attachment to these characters is greater than what actually renders, in scenes that feel like a string of clichéd signifiers that aren’t supported by a genuine dramatic weight. This trilogy could effectively toy with our allegiance towards humanity, thanks to the top-notch visual effects at the filmmakers’ disposal to render primates as authentic characters, but due to the level of self-serious import that devours every scene, it’s more likely one will come away feeling little loyalty towards either side of this conflict."

"War of the Planet of the Apes has all the bombast and sense of finality seemingly required for the end of a trilogy, but there’s an underlying emptiness that nags with each scene. As an evolution of the morality play Reeves explored in Dawn, it still suffers the same fate: any discerning viewer will immediately latch on to everything these filmmakers have to say in the opening scenes, then must wait a few hours for the formulaic conventions to plod along. Aside from the amusing supporting character “Bad Ape” (Steve Zahn at his Zahniest) and a bit of peppy fun as a prison escape is carried out, a sense spontaneity and inventiveness is sorely missing. Humanity may be on its last legs, but if Reeves wants to dissect it in any compelling way, he should show at least a shred of it." - Jordan Raup

Too self-serious and forced drama for him.

number11

Baby Driver this week, Spider-Man the next, Planet of the Apes the week after, then Dunkirk the week after that.

This summer blockbuster season is much better than previous years. Hopefully Dunkirk continues the trend of having great reviews.

overcast

I really don't know why these movies didn't just pick August? Like one of those critically acclaimed movies could have cleaned the fuck up.

Glass Rebel

I am really looking forward to this. Rise and Dawn were despite some issues pretty damn good.

Interesting that our own Expendable. didn't think highly of it.

"As Michael Giacchino’s score shrieks with an over-the-top, cheeky intensity, there’s the notion that Reeves has embraced a sense of winking fun as we near the climax this trilogy has been lumbering towards. That sensation quickly dissipates as much of the next two-plus hours finds Reeves feigning character development with drawn-out close-ups that register as little more than an ostentatious showcase for the peerless visual effects."

"Mark Bomback and Reeves’ script, while intelligibly uncomplicated structure-wise as it embraces western tropes, is also thinly sketched, pre-supposing one’s attachment to these characters is greater than what actually renders, in scenes that feel like a string of clichéd signifiers that aren’t supported by a genuine dramatic weight. This trilogy could effectively toy with our allegiance towards humanity, thanks to the top-notch visual effects at the filmmakers’ disposal to render primates as authentic characters, but due to the level of self-serious import that devours every scene, it’s more likely one will come away feeling little loyalty towards either side of this conflict."

"War of the Planet of the Apes has all the bombast and sense of finality seemingly required for the end of a trilogy, but there’s an underlying emptiness that nags with each scene. As an evolution of the morality play Reeves explored in Dawn, it still suffers the same fate: any discerning viewer will immediately latch on to everything these filmmakers have to say in the opening scenes, then must wait a few hours for the formulaic conventions to plod along. Aside from the amusing supporting character “Bad Ape” (Steve Zahn at his Zahniest) and a bit of peppy fun as a prison escape is carried out, a sense spontaneity and inventiveness is sorely missing. Humanity may be on its last legs, but if Reeves wants to dissect it in any compelling way, he should show at least a shred of it." - Jordan Raup

Too self-serious and forced drama for him.

Interesting. This is about what I felt with the human side of Dawn. I'm pretty sure I will still enjoy War though.

Smart by Fox to lift embargo so early. The movie is inbetween Spidey and Dunkirk....hopefully this ends up being just as successful as Dawn.

Didn't do crazy business in the states but ended up over 700m WW which is awesome. Hopefully general audience are ready for two bleak ass movies back to back in this and Dunkirk.

Anecdotal but no-one in my movie viewing circle is excited for Dunkirk. In contrast, we all went to the midnight viewing for Interstellar...

I'm sure Dunkirk will he good, but it doesn't look particularly interesting.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Anecdotal but no-one in my movie viewing circle is excited for Dunkirk. In contrast, we all went to the midnight viewing for Interstellar...

The trailers have done a terrible job at selling the movie. I'm going to go see it just because I've pretty much loved all of Nolan's films but if I didn't know it was Nolan, I'd probably skip Dunkirk.

It's definitely the most apathetic I've been towards a Nolan film in a long time, and I'm one of those weirdos that loved Interstellar.

Zombine

Banned
I mean...Planet of The Apes is next--right? I wonder if we'll get to see Caesar in that film, or if his legacy will be the foundation for the "reboot" film which is perverted by his ancestors?

Top Bottom