• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Review thread. (RT= 96%)

zero_suit

Eh I think Star Wars and LotR dropped the ball in their final movies so a really strong movie already elevates the Apes trilogy above those.
You're in the extreme minority on that one. Return of the King won 11 Oscars and is sitting at 94 on Metacritic.

Famassu

Same here, the Dunkirk trailer bored me to death and the Spidey movie seems to have too much RDJ.
Spider-Man trailers having a lot of RDJ does not mean the whole movie does.

It's like thinking 12 Years A Slave is a Brad Pitt movie based on that Chinese (?) poster. It's a marketing trick. RDJ gets a lot more people into the seats of an MCU movie than it turns people off from seeing an MCU movie, so better take advantage of that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Poor Return of the King. Won 11 Oscars, one of the highest Oscar sweeps in film history and it still somehow maintains its reputation as the disappointing let-down in the trilogy.

You're in the extreme minority on that one. Return of the King won 11 Oscars and is sitting at 94 on Metacritic.

I personally think it was the least deserving of all those awards and the Fellowship should have won those. It felt like they were just giving it to Return of the King because of the trilogy as a whole. It was by and far the weakest movie in terms of narrative, pacing, characters and so on.

Pachimari

kswiston

I personally think it was the least deserving of all those awards and the Fellowship should have won those. It felt like they were just giving it to Return of the King because of the trilogy as a whole. It was by and far the weakest movie in terms of narrative, pacing, characters and so on.

Return of the King was still better than the first Apes. I think people went into that one expecting a 5/10 film and were pleasantly surprised when they got a 7/10 film. Andy Sirkis did an amazing job. Most of the rest was all over the place.

Peff

Box office gross doesn't always speak to a film's quality, though.

The film won eleven Oscars.

It was an unofficial whole-trilogy-achievement award clean-up, though. Even people who like theatrical RotK best would have to agree that the difference between the movies isn't big enough to go from token blockbuster awards to the 2003 sweep.

Either way, Apes! Really glad it looks like War delivers, only a couple of weeks to go.

TheXbox

You're all wrong. Return of the King won those awards on behalf of the whole trilogy, and The Two Towers is still the weakest.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I watched Rise yesterday and I loved James Franco in the role, and thought he was one of the reasons I liked it that much. Definitely a solid performance and you really feel the bond he has to Caesar.

That's fair enough. I haven't actually seen Rise since immediately after it came out on DVD, so maybe I should give it enough re-watch whilst being more mindful of Franco's work in that film. It's just at the time, his performance didn't really seem to do it for me.

Oh definitely, just adding to what you said in support, haha.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

It was an unofficial whole-trilogy-achievement award clean-up, though. Even people who like theatrical RotK best would have to agree that the difference between the movies isn't big enough to go from token blockbuster awards to the 2003 sweep.

The scope, scale and general ambition of that final third movie in regards to its direction and technical film-making definitely took a noticeable step-up in comparison to the other two movies, although I agree it's not the best of the trilogy (I'm one of those freaky odd-balls who's favourite installment was Two Towers)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You're all wrong. Return of the King won those awards on behalf of the whole trilogy, and The Two Towers is still the weakest.

The Two Towers had some serious issues but I think the Return of the King was a bloated mess of a movie.

Yeah, I wouldn't include Apes as one of the best trilogies of all time because Rise was simply "good" for me. But if these reviews are right and War is indeed the best in the reboot series, then this is the rare example where a trilogy got better and better with every new entry and that's quite an achievement.

I'd rate the LOTR trilogy thus: Two Towers > Fellowship > Return of the King
And the 11 oscars for ROTK were really meant to celebrate the entire trilogy I think. Still, I love all three of these films.

Karu

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
It is known...

Loved the first Apes Film, second one was good. Looking forward to the third, doesnt seem to disappoint.

Prompto

Banned
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
It is known...

Loved the first Apes Film, second one was good. Looking forward to the third, doesnt seem to disappoint.
People always forget about the Before trilogy when it's the best damn one.

So far, no. However, the subject matter and release time lends itself to really good legs. A 4-5x opening weekend multiplier isn't that unreasonable if the opening isnt huge. Dunkirk is definitely a film that will need strong reviews and WOM though.

Given it's subject matter and release time, I don't think it's all that appealing compared to the other films coming out. Spider Man is going to have the best legs in July, and War for the Planet of the Apes having the second best legs. Believe it or not, but I think the winner between Valerian and Dunkirk for their opening weekend is going to be much closer in America than people anticipate unless of course Valerian gets terrible reviews.

And many of your assumptions are that just assumptions as well. We have no idea how well Dunkirk will be well-received anyway.

You're not adding much then, because that's the point of predictions. I'm backing up my predictions with detailed points. Feel free to disagree with my prediction and detailed points.

The problem is you're comparing films in different genres with different stars that had broader appeal that opened during better times for those type of films and simplifying them all to them being Nolan films therefore they should all respond similarly with audiences at the box office.

And your making assumptions. We have no idea how well Dunkirk will be well-received anyway. It could surprise, it could flop.

TheXbox

But the first movie already won 4 oscars and the twin towers won 2.
All well deserved, but BP and BD were definitely in respect to the whole project.

The Two Towers had some serious issues but I think the Return of the King was a bloated mess of a movie.
RotK is a mess but The Two Towers is the only one that feels bloated. Way too many flashbacks, a handful of useless Arwen scenes, Aragorn's death fakeout, etc. This is the movie that had to invent an hour-and-a-half of Osgiliath material for Frodo and Sam because Peter wanted Shelob and Cirith Ungol in RotK. Obviously, that did some good for the latter film, but not the former.

Loxley

One thing is for sure, whether you're talking about the LOTR or Apes trilogy - Weta Digital and Andy Serkis are goddamn masters of their craft.

Osahi

Great to see they keep getting better with each installment. Wasn't a big fan of Rise (should revisit it though), liked Dawn, and I'm expecting to love the shit out of War

It's so weird, but I've asked all of my friends if they want to go and see this, since I absolutely love the first two, and they're all like "No, the previous two were terrible".

These aren't people who have completely awful taste in movies, but for some reason talking monkeys seem too out of reach for them. :(

kswiston

Given it's subject matter and release time, I don't think it's all that appealing compared to the other films coming out. Spider Man is going to have the best legs in July, and War for the Planet of the Apes having the second best legs. Believe it or not, but I think the winner between Valerian and Dunkirk for their opening weekend is going to be much closer in America than people anticipate unless of course Valerian gets terrible reviews.

I would have no hesitation in betting that Dunkirk will have better legs than Spider-man and Apes. The unprecedented leggy run that Wonder Woman is having is pretty standard fair for WW2 flicks and other films aimed at older adults.

Or course, Dunkirk won't open to $75-100M.

Nafai1123

Banned
Man I'm so pumped to see this. Personally I think it will go down as one of the best trilogies. Hear some people saying that the 1st movie is too weak for that to happen, but IMO a series that gets stronger as it goes along is superior to one that gets weaker, and a majority of the greatest trilogies inevitably do get weaker as they progress.

I would have no hesitation in betting that Dunkirk will have better legs than Spider-man and Apes. The unprecedented leggy run that Wonder Woman is having is pretty standard fair for WW2 flicks and other films aimed at older adults.

Even one that has nothing to do with America?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is it just me or does it seem that the standard of AAA games and movies in 2017 is way above average?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nah it was a mess from the pacing to how they handled the characters to even how they laid out the "endings". Not a good movie or ending to the trilogy.

You are not going to find a lot of people that will agree with you on that.

kswiston

Even one that has nothing to do with America?

The Imitation Game made $91M domestically a couple of years ago. That was a $14M drama.

If reviews are good, I don't think the setting will matter that much. It's not like we have an abundance of WW2 films featuring stuff like those dogfighting scenes. Your alternatives are Pearl Harbor and Red Tails.

Thewonandonly

Poor Return of the King. Won 11 Oscars, one of the highest Oscar sweeps in film history and it still somehow maintains its reputation as the disappointing let-down in the trilogy.
Man I don't understand GAF with there hate for movies ending trilogies. Return of the king is my favorite LoTR because it's just damn epic. Then everyone on GAF hates rises but I fucking loved that movie. Saw it 5 times in theaters and cried everytime when Alfred got to the grave :( sure there is some stuff that doesn't make sense but that's comic's. People forget that this are still comic book movies that just habben to be some of the best movies in hollywood.

vordhosbn

Banned
Technically they've only made 1 good film which is the last one, the first was really cheesy and mediocre. But this looks good.

The Imitation Game made $91M domestically a couple of years ago. That was a $14M drama.

If reviews are good, I don't think the setting will matter that much.

The Imitation Game was a low budget film that opened in America in November and not in a crowded Summer Blockbuster month, and enjoyed the wave of great reviews and Awards season buzz that audiences are programmed to watch more of during the fall or early in the year.

Also to note, Hacksaw Ridge opened in America in November with a 40 million dollar budget and 67 million domestic gross and 108 million internationally.

There's a reason I said Dunkirk should've opened in the fall here.

Top Bottom