• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

So I recently got into this game, heard about it and World of Tanks for a long time but never really paid attention. Gave both a shot and I definitely prefer War Thunder's damage model.

I've been playing for a week and it's great fun and I've found a love for tanks that I never knew I had before (been reading up on them).

Any ways, I am now in German Tier 2 tanks and training into Tier 3, however one thing I've noticed is that I am dying much more quickly in Tier 2 matches than Tier 1. In Tier 1 I found myself dominating in matches, I was getting 12 kills on average a match while second in place would probably have around 4.

Now that I'm in Tier 2 for a few days, I can barely get 2 kills and die in pretty much one shot. All those T-28s and stuff are wrecking me, my Pz. IV F1 and Pz. IV F2 just get one shot and it's no matter where I'm hit really. I also have all modifications.

Are German tanks in the low tiers just not as good as soviet ones, do they get better in Tier 3 or 4 onwards? Is the Tiger for example good that it's worth researching towards? I really like them but they seem to take hits way harder than ever before when there are soviet tanks and the like out on the field.

So I recently got into this game, heard about it and World of Tanks for a long time but never really paid attention. Gave both a shot and I definitely prefer War Thunder's damage model.

I've been playing for a week and it's great fun and I've found a love for tanks that I never knew I had before (been reading up on them).

Any ways, I am now in German Tier 2 tanks and training into Tier 3, however one thing I've noticed is that I am dying much more quickly in Tier 2 matches than Tier 1. In Tier 1 I found myself dominating in matches, I was getting 12 kills on average a match while second in place would probably have around 4.

Now that I'm in Tier 2 for a few days, I can barely get 2 kills and die in pretty much one shot. All those T-28s and stuff are wrecking me, my Pz. IV F1 and Pz. IV F2 just get one shot and it's no matter where I'm hit really. I also have all modifications.

Are German tanks in the low tiers just not as good as soviet ones, do they get better in Tier 3 or 4 onwards? Is the Tiger for example good that it's worth researching towards? I really like them but they seem to take hits way harder than ever before when there are soviet tanks and the like out on the field.

The game will generally get harder the further you get. Pz.IV F2 is a very good sniping tank. Keep yourself hidden and away from enemies, and you can get plenty of kills. It's probably the best Pz.IV tanks, because it has relatively low BR, but the same gun as the later Pz.IV models. F2 has pretty weak armor, so keeping the hull hidden is the key for survival. And using regular AP ammo (with HE filler) is a good idea, even if APCR has better penetrating power, it doesn't cause much damage when doing so. I think regular the "39" model ammo may be the best bet against almost all opponents with F2. Well, HE ammo is of course also useful against softer targets.

Tiger 1 is a very good tank, and Tiger 2 H is the best tank in tier IV. The road to Tiger is a difficult one though, you will quite often be in trouble against different Shermans, T34s and KV or IS models. American and Russian lineups are easier, especially if you like close quater fighting. German tanks are only better at long range.

grmlin

I'm currently using russian 4.7 and 5.0 tanks. It's ok, unless I'm matched to those crazy Tigers ;)
Lots of ammo to bounce off of them ;)
Anyway, it's a lot harder than in T1/T2!

Sinking my teeth into tank destroyers for the first time, too. Those are fun, but watch your back and sides :)

Sinking my teeth into tank destroyers for the first time, too. Those are fun, but watch your back and sides :)

I never quite got used to playing Russian TDs, other than the first SU-122, which had a nice low BR helping it out, they seem to be a bit too lightly armored even at front. And SU-152 models have huge flat target next to their cannons where to shoot at...

I'm currently using russian 4.7 and 5.0 tanks. It's ok, unless I'm matched to those crazy Tigers ;)

I played some 4.7 matches yesterday, and met Tigers every time :( Also tried 5.0 matches, and met a bunch of IS-2's. But 6.7 matches were pretty well balanced (for me), BR 7.0 was the highest enemy BR I saw. Which was nice, Tiger 2 can take out an T32 or even a IS-3 with some effort.

grmlin

I played some 4.7 matches yesterday, and met Tigers every time :( Also tried 5.0 matches, and met a bunch of IS-2's. But 6.7 matches were pretty well balanced (for me), BR 7.0 was the highest enemy BR I saw. Which was nice, Tiger 2 can take out an T32 or even a IS-3 with some effort.

I would need tanks with 7.0 in the first place to do the same :) I'm looking forward to it, of course!

I would need tanks with 7.0 in the first place to do the same :) I'm looking forward to it, of course!

I don't have a IS-3 yet... I can't wait to get it, so I can cause some destruction in BR 7.0 matches with Russian tanks also. The first tier V tank that I got was T-54, which is a bit disapointing when it has to fight IS-4M and Maus enemies.

grmlin

Right now that M18 is really breaking the game for me, at least with my current deck.

They are fast, one shoot me all the time and won't die...

Right now that M18 is really breaking the game for me, at least with my current deck.

They are fast, one shoot me all the time and won't die...

They won't die if you overpenetrate, a AP shell will pass right through the thing armour without exploding. Unless you hit the engine block or gun mantlet or mechanism. If you are playing in arcade, don't shoot if the marker is green, shoot when it's yellow or red :) Even then make sure to use a AP with HE filler, a solid round will not be enough. Or just use a HE shell... I haven't kept them around, too much trouble juggling with too many shell types.

I was having hard time with my M18 before finally finishing all modules, and now I can stop using it. I should be getting my M36 after a couple of matches... It seems everyone knows how dangerous M18 can be, and how easy to kill if you know how. It's not nice being the priority target in this game... And sniping from a distance doesn't suit my play style.

grmlin

The last match this is what someone wrote into the chat. I'll try, but most of the time I'm dead before I can switch the ammunition ;)

Edit. Getting up tiered all the time is really frustrating

The last match this is what someone wrote into the chat. I'll try, but most of the time I'm dead before I can switch the ammunition ;)

Edit. Getting up tiered all the time is really frustrating

First shot to the gun barrel and then reloading with HE, while machine gunning the top of the turret was how I got killed multiple times. There's no time to shoot back...

Getting up-tiered all the time, that was my main problem with M18 lately. If I kept a max 4.7 lineup, I still met Tigers. And it's the only American tank with BR 4.7, so I have to pair it with worse vehicles and get my ass kicked even more. Or then I can take my BR5.0 lineup, and meet IS-2s, and both Tiger 1 models.

edit: Actually now having played a couple of rounds with M36, I think both this and M10 are better than M18, in their BR ranges. At least in Arcade. M10 was pretty good in killing Tigers in Sim... Anyway, the 90mm gun in M36 is pretty damn good. Now if I only had repair kit and fire suppression system...

grmlin

I switched my deck and uses those 3.3 T34's... what a difference, I was not screwed anymore :)

Anyone knows if acing a crew is worth it? (assumed I'm really committed to a tank)

I switched my deck and uses those 3.3 T34's... what a difference, I was not screwed anymore :)

Anyone knows if acing a crew is worth it? (assumed I'm really committed to a tank)

It may be, as long as it doesn't cost too many golden eagles. The crew skills can go above the normal "max" limit, so even if you max out the crew with normal crew experience points, the ace bonus is still effective.

edit: Those 3.3 T34s are really good tanks with that BR range, I have often gone back and played some high risk - high reward style playing there after being frustrated with tier IV and V matches.

Damn Sony and their half assed online store handling. There are still no new bundles available for the PS4 version, and it looks like we missed the sales now.

I noticed that I had forgotten the new StuH 42 G, and started researching it with German 3.7 lineup. In some games I'm doing really well with Pz.IV F2 and Pz.III M, but StuG III F seems to get killed quite easily right through the front armour. This is one thing I don't get about this game, aren't tank destroyers supposed to have stronger front armour than their corresponding tank versions? It certainly doesn't seem so, and they even have same BR, and you are unable to angle the hull in same way... this makes them much worse vehicles in my book.

grmlin

I have no interest in tanks and all that in normal life, so I don't know anything about historical facts :)
But aren't tank destroyers meant to be vehicles with the biggest gun possible? I like the SU-152, very satisfying to one shot things. You get in really big trouble though, if you fail to one shot your enemy, as the reload times suck BIG TIMES!

The longer I play the more I think they absolutely have to implement some sort of Plane-Kamikaze punishment system in Arcade. It's so bad you can do it without any real downside. I think you current tank should be lost, too...

I have no interest in tanks and all that in normal life, so I don't know anything about historical facts :)
But aren't tank destroyers meant to be vehicles with the biggest gun possible? I like the SU-152, very satisfying to one shot things. You get in really big trouble though, if you fail to one shot your enemy, as the reload times suck BIT TIMES!

The longer I play the more I think they absolutely have to implement some sort of Plane-Kamikaze punishment system in Arcade. It's so bad you can do it without any real downside. I think you current tank should be lost, too...

Well, I'm no tank expert either... and in real life tank destroyers stayed well hidden, and were mostly used in defensive battles, I think. But SU-152 has almost the same gun as KV-2. SU is BR 5.0 and KV-2 used to be 4.7, but looks like it's now 5.0. The reload time is much higher with KV-2 though :) With that you really can't afford to miss.

In German side there's Jagdpanther, which is BR 6.7, but has same hull as Panther D, with BR 5.7. Okay, it has the same cannon as Tiger 2, which is BR 6.7, but Tiger 2 has much better hull armour. This just doesn't seem like it's very well balanced. Especially now that there's also much better tank destroyer Ferdinand having BR 6.7. Ferdi has 200 mm front armour against Jagdpanther's 80 mm.

You have to pay full repair for your tank if you crash your plane, so there is some kind of punishment there, but it's not easy for people to notice that, if they are using auto-repair. And maybe some people just crash their bombers so they can get back to their tanks faster, not caring about the cost...

grmlin

I try to do the best with the situation, and my third spawn usually is an AA vehicle. At last it's fun to shoot them down ;)

I try to do the best with the situation, and my third spawn usually is an AA vehicle. At last it's fun to shoot them down ;)

Yeah, if your team is losing you should have plenty of planes to shoot at by your 3rd spawn :) If not, it may be a bit boring. Anyway, firing machine guns at passing planes is a good way to make a bit of extra money, if you cause them most damage before they crash you get the kill.

edit: finally got the Armored Officer title (5000 players defeated in ground battle). Halfway there for Tanks Destroyer title... Look like I have under 100 kills in planes, so it's no wonder I can't hit anything yet.

grmlin

some maps are really bad designed. How is it possible to spawn-camp the other team across the map? Got shot after respawning, immediatly. Berlin...

Not my day anyway. I get killed with single shots all the time and mine are bouncing constantly.
Put 7 shots into an AI T34 in front of me without any bigger effect. Got a kill assist in the end... sometimes this game just does not like me

some maps are really bad designed. How is it possible to spawn-camp the other team across the map? Got shot after respawning, immediatly. Berlin...

Not my day anyway. I get killed with single shots all the time and mine are bouncing constantly.
Put 7 shots into an AI T34 in front of me without any bigger effect. Got a kill assist in the end... sometimes this game just does not like me

You get about 10 seconds protection during spawn, which is not much, but allows you to make one shot before the enemy does. Shooting from spawn to spawn is mainly a problem in break mode in Poland, but break mode pretty much sucks in most cases anyway... I haven't seen it in Berlin yet, but I haven't gotten that map enough times to fully familiarise with it yet.

Yeah, AI tanks seem to have beefed up crew that doesn't get killed unless ammo rack or fuel tank explodes. Best bet is to try to set them in fire and leave if they refuse to die otherwise. AI KV-1 crews seem to have superhuman vitality especially...

edit: sometimes during first spawn you don't get the protection, but that may be because the timer starts from the first guy that spawns... or something similar, at least once a "friendly" tank shot me at point blank range after first spawn, and it didn't do any damage. But sometimes it certainly does...

grmlin

I don't know. Maybe it was a lag. Anyway, the spawn point should be better protected in some cases.

I gave the KV-2 a try, what a beast! Haha. Fun little tank 😉

I tried playing Realistic again, and tier 2 games went pretty well, and I had some fun there. The larger maps work well especially. Unfortunately there's still the problem of asshole players going straight to enemy spawn instead objective, chasing some easy AAA kills. This seems to happen especially with smaller maps and higher tier matches. This leads to realistic still being the worst mode after arcade and sim. Even through the new realistic mode (with no enemy indicators) is better than the old one. And the new sim (evemts only) is sadly quite random with the matchups.

Premium accounts are on sale for PS4 also now, I got 3 months with 50% off.

And finally got my IS-3. First two matches I was fighting IS-4 enemies, that didn't go well, but first BR 7.0 match, and I got 6 tank kills (no AI), most of them Tiger 2's one-shotted to the turret front. I think I'm going to like this tank...

grmlin

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll bite. It takes forever to research tanks and modification without premium now.

Today was Kamikaze night I think... Oh boy, that's not funny

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll bite. It takes forever to research tanks and modification without premium now.

Today was Kamikaze night I think... Oh boy, that's not funny

I don't know if I have had higher than usual ping, but I shooting down planes with ZSU-37 was pretty difficult today. Even when they were flying straight at me and firing their machine guns, I often didn't score a single hit. Doing that to a Kugelblitz counts as a suicide attempt, but for some reason I'm just not hitting them with Soviet AA.

IS-3 seems to be quite easy to set on fire. I just got the repair kit, but it will take some days till I have the fire extinguisher system. Annoying. Anyway, IS-3 seems to be quite like IS-2, only with much much better armour.

grmlin

Tried realistic today, too, again... Got up tiered all the time fighting almost only against +1 br. Lost interest pretty fast. ;)

grmlin

Lately it happened to me multiple times, that I did not hear the bombs falling onto my head => frustration.

Does this happen to anyone else, too? (on PS4 I am)

Started playing with the T44 recently, without upgrades/repairs it's a real pain, and it takes forever...
I use the 1.0 Russian AA truck when the T44 gets destroyed for some easy points. This thing is awesome :)

Lately it happened to me multiple times, that I did not hear the bombs falling onto my head => frustration.

Does this happen to anyone else, too? (on PS4 I am)

Started playing with the T44 recently, without upgrades/repairs it's a real pain, and it takes forever...
I use the 1.0 Russian AA truck when the T44 gets destroyed for some easy points. This thing is awesome :)

Previously you didn't her them if you were in the sniping view, but I have noticed that now you occassionally don't her them even if you are in third person view. Annoying for sure...

T-44 has pretty high BR for its armor, you can't really fight Tiger 2's face to face and expect to win, you have to move and flank a lot. Do you already have an IS-2? I suggest getting the IS series first, and then T-54 :)

grmlin

Yeah, I'm driving IS2, too. The first version. It's fun!

I only started using the T44, because I was uptiered every match anyway. Researching the SU-100 right now. Had fun playing the SU-152 but could not stand the long reload and slow movement.

Yeah, I'm driving IS2, too. The first version. It's fun!

I only started using the T44, because I was uptiered every match anyway. Researching the SU-100 right now. Had fun playing the SU-152 but could not stand the long reload and slow movement.

Su-100 is like su-85m with better gun, so it's fast but pretty fragile. I haven't reseached all modules for it yet, but I have definitely done better with it than with Su-85 (m).

IS-2 m 1944 is quite a lot better than the old IS-2. The hull can survive a hit now, and you have powerful machine gun to take down planes. It's probably the best tier 4 tank for Soviets, and still useful in tier 5. I have used it as a back up for my IS-3, which is not as OP as people seem to claim... a side shot with 85mm or larger will take it out quite often, and if you hit the weak spot under the gun from front, it's as good as dead. But my IS-4m research is going surprisingly quick now that I have premium again, it'll be interesting how good it will be in actual fights. I've taken out a couple from front with an IS-3 now.

grmlin

Any idea why the battle ratings in the garage don't match the one in game?
The KV2 for example says 4.3 in garage and 5.0 in battle ( arcade if that matters)

Any idea why the battle ratings in the garage don't match the one in game?
The KV2 for example says 4.3 in garage and 5.0 in battle ( arcade if that matters)

It's 4.3 in realistic... you probably have realistic selected in the research tree view.

Edit: Hey, war in mid air event is there again, yay!

Wace

This event is annoying, some pilots are just too good to be hit with AA.

salute.png

Wace

A bit of news: BVV_d (main tank developer) just confirmed this beauty to come as Soviet premium (I'm assuming premium since there was only one unit produced in real life).

&

I don't care much about tanks, but you may like something with ship gun for a change.

grmlin

The KV-2's "little" brother? :D

I must say, I have much more fun and success playing my 5.0 tanks. Will get my 2nd 6.7 tank soon and give it a try again, then.

grmlin

Oh the rage and hate when all your shots bounce like crazy, no matter how well you aim, and everybody else kills you with single lucky shots afterwards.

Anyway. The su 100 is promising and fun but made of thin paper I think? What's the preferred ammo type for this flat tank? (with everything researched)

Oh the rage and hate when all your shots bounce like crazy, no matter how well you aim, and everybody else kills you with single lucky shots afterwards.

Anyway. The su 100 is promising and fun but made of thin paper I think? What's the preferred ammo type for this flat tank? (with everything researched)

Well, it has same armour as SU-85, I think, but faces tougher opponents...

The default ammo is bit crap, but BR-412B is already quite a bit better. I'm still researching 412D, but looks like it has slightly better penetration values still...

grmlin

Ha, I found out that I can use my PS4 account to play on PC, too!

Awesome. Didn't know that. Had to contact the support, because I had no idea what email I used when installing WT for the first time. They helped me some minutes after I opened a ticket, there was a typo in the address. Great support!

Wace

Ha, I found out that I can use my PS4 account to play on PC, too!

Note, however:
- you can't purchase from non-Sony store;
- local save data (setups) won't be transferred.

That's about all the differences I've noticed. PC account is great for properly painting decals.

Got my IS-4M, looks like it's only slightly better than IS-3. I should go back to playing German and American tanks while my premium lasts, but Russian side seems to be easier in tier V.

grmlin

Lately my matches are a hit and miss. Sometimes I perform great, the next match is nothing like it and all shots bounce like rubber balls.

I still don't know what is the cause for that. Is there some weird random shot algorithm working in the background and I'm simply out of luck? I mean, even my SU-100 shots bounces off the sides of tanks that are 50m away... and it happens on a "per-match" basis. If things start this way, I'm likely will fail for the whole match.

grmlin

So today I connected my "old" PC (Phenom XT1050 i think and a 7950) to my TV and it felt better. The controls are much more precise and the annoying mouse lag on PS4 is gone, of course. The framerate is much more stable, too.

Nothing that will make me do this very often (it's quite a hassle), but it's good to know.

Anyway, I was really frustrated with my Russian T4 matches and started the Germans. That was so much fun, T1 with all the maps I already know, very very cool.
I bought the package with the Sd.Kfz. 140/1 some weeks ago, what an awesome little Tank, and it looks cool, too :D

Wace

Anyway, I was really frustrated with my Russian T4 matches and started the Germans. That was so much fun, T1 with all the maps I already know, very very cool.

One of the best feelings from the game is then you're "back" to T1 after weeks and weeks of T4-5. Suddenly you feel like god almighty, killing noobs right and left, easily performing awesome stunts and oneshots, and every victory opens new plane and new modifications... Man, I need to start with some other nation once again. When will Italian planes come, goddamnit?!

When I first played Soviet tanks, I got bored playing tier IV, when every shot enemy made seemed to penetrate my T34-85's gun mantlet and kill me. Playing with early German tanks was a lot more fun back then. And of course on December, when American tanks came... they felt insanely fast and had no brakes. Good times.

I hope British tanks will come this summer, although getting some naval stuff would also be great.

grmlin

What I love most: it's so much more action, all the tanks are much much faster and standing still is not really an option. I'm enjoying the game a lot now.
That Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. C is so good, it's fast, has a good gun, some armor. That BR must be an error ;)

Now I'm curious to see what's it's like in the higher tiers.

Top Bottom