• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

grmlin

Oh, I did not know that! Different servers are different difficulty? Interesting.

I play EU mostly, because I'm in EU and get the best connection on it. From time to time jump onto US servers, too.

I love the little Locust, what a fun little tank. Too bad it does not really help with the grind in T4 ;)

Oh, I did not know that! Different servers are different difficulty? Interesting.

I play EU mostly, because I'm in EU and get the best connection on it. From time to time jump onto US servers, too.

I love the little Locust, what a fun little tank. Too bad it does not really help with the grind in T4 ;)

Well, I was joking, but the Russian players seem to be very good, so I'll avoid Russian servers. In US servers the lag is worse usually, but the players are borderline idiots, so they are easy to kill. If you manage to avoid friendly fire that is...

Are you grinding Pershing by the way? It's the best BR6.7 medium tank after Panther II, but for some reason I did really badly with it when I first played the US lineup. I got like 1:1 kill rate with it... Now when I have played with it again I seem to be doing better.

grmlin

LOL, now I see what you meant :D

No, the Pershing is still a way to go. Did not play the US a lot as I don't enjoy them that much...

grmlin

Woah, and another Talisman, this time for the M24. The game likes me again :D

THIS will help me grind for a moment. :)

Phew, 20 matches and finally got the Parts mod for my Panther 2. Oh the joys of tier V. Without premium that would have taken probably double of that (although to be honest I played quite badly for a good while, so it shouldn't really have taken that long.

grmlin

Tanks without repair kits are really annoying...

Tonight the game is unplayable for me :( Shots not counting, teleporting 200m and waking up flipped upside down... its World of Warships than :D

I switched to US side after sucking with Panther 2. T95 got better after I got APCR ammo anf fire extinguishers, now I get some kills and not just assists.. Although you don't need many kills to be number 1 of your team with T95, just take a bunch of hits and raise your score that way.

Looking at the score board from my last game, where I went to the cap point with my T95 and stayed there taking pot shots at approaching tanks, and getting hit all the time. I just killed one enemy and got one assists. Number 2 behind me had 2 assists, 4 bot kills, 5 tank kills and 1 plane kill.

grmlin

so, it's basically: park this thing and get yourself some coffee???

I don't know... I miss the fast and furious T1-T2 matches...

Having to unlock parts and FPE is one of the biggest hurdles in Tier IV for me. It's worse now that I don't have a premium account anymore. At least in Arcade you can still rotate your turret if you loose the turret drive (albeit very slowly).

I recently unlocked the Tiger II (H). So far so good, big improvement over the Porsche version with better turret armor. Luckily, getting parts shouldn't take too long. It is a Tiger II, after all.

so, it's basically: park this thing and get yourself some coffee???

I don't know... I miss the fast and furious T1-T2 matches...

Yeah, but not if there are tanks with those fin stabilished HEAT rounds around. They can cut through the fron armor like its not there. And don't let anyone flank you... Also the front cupola is a massive weak spot, if a Tiger 2 or someone with an equal gun gets in close, they can one-shot you from front if they take their time to aim properly. Also, with 12 km/h top speed, you get overtaken by Maus quite easily...

Having to unlock parts and FPE is one of the biggest hurdles in Tier IV for me. It's worse now that I don't have a premium account anymore. At least in Arcade you can still rotate your turret if you loose the turret drive (albeit very slowly).

I recently unlocked the Tiger II (H). So far so good, big improvement over the Porsche version with better turret armor. Luckily, getting parts shouldn't take too long. It is a Tiger II, after all.

Tiger II (H) is an excellent tank, congrats. The 10.5cm version is actually quite a bit worse until you get the ammo and accuracy updates, and even then the BR difference will make it less effective. I'd suggest going for Panther II next instead, unless you really want to get to Maus as fast as possible :)

grmlin

The US M18 is fun! Finally another tank I enjoy in the US tree.

I have to try it in realistic. The speed of this thing is awesome!

The US M18 is fun! Finally another tank I enjoy in the US tree.

I have to try it in realistic. The speed of this thing is awesome!

I did better with M10, but the speed is indeed fantastic. Too bad they made the M18 Super Hellcat an premium tank, it's way too expensive. The next TD, M36 sucks, it's too slow to be useful against Tiger 2s and IS-2s that it faces, but T95 was again fun.

Just got the M46 Patton. The default ammo sucks once again, and it's a bit sluggish compared to other medium tanks at tier V... It's ridiculous that this thing has higher BR than Panther 2.

edit: I had to put like 5 rouds to a T-44 before it died in my first match, so the default ammo is definitely quite weak.

Wace

I've got questions for you, my dear tank afficionados. Note, that all below is about tanks in random arcade battles:

1. Am I right assuming that there's no real need for diverse vehicle setup, since gameplay is always the same? I.e. there's no NEED to have, for example, at least one TD for specific map or mission type, right?

2. Am I right assuming that currently there's ALWAYS three "lives" limit, once again, regardless of the map and mission type?

Thank you in advance! I've hit T4 with japanese plane and want to crawl through dirt and snow for some time.

I've got questions for you, my dear tank afficionados. Note, that all below is about tanks in random arcade battles:

1. Am I right assuming that there's no real need for diverse vehicle setup, since gameplay is always the same? I.e. there's no NEED to have, for example, at least one TD for specific map or mission type, right?

2. Am I right assuming that currently there's ALWAYS three "lives" limit, once again, regardless of the map and mission type?

Thank you in advance! I've hit T4 with japanese plane and want to crawl through dirt and snow for some time.

1.) No, not really from my experience. I never use turret-less tank destroyers and it's not a problem. At higher tiers however you're probably gonna want to have at least one heavy tank in your lineup, as they really start to dominate.

2.) Yes, unless you're using reserve vehicles, in which you can have many more. This obviously isn't very useful beyond Tier I battles.

1) Yes, although you need to buy a certain number of tanks in order to reach the next tier, so you may also need to buy TDs is order to get forwards. No need to play them though.

2) Yes, only the reserve tanks are an expection, you can get 3 reserve tank lives in place of one normal tank.

Wace

1) Yes, although you need to buy a certain number of tanks in order to reach the next tier, so you may also need to buy TDs is order to get forwards. No need to play them though.

Thank you! I know the basic mechanic. It's just that I realized, compared to planes, here it's more effectively to focus on one-two vehicles for grinding them, putting something with relatively low BR in all the other slots. I've used my old tanks setup, before three lives rule, and just realized that one of the slots had 3.3 aced medium I didn't even try to use, while I was leveling up 2.7 heavy. Removing 3.3 and putting <1.7 to every slot significantly improved gameplay for me.

I.e., my new own way for playing tanks:
- focus on no more than two vehicles with similar BR;
- fill all but three slots with reserve trash;
- regardless of map/mission/current state play only vehicles you grind, i.e. with highest BR in setup.

Planes are different due to several issues:
- no respawn limit;
- shooting down higher BRs is pretty much doable, even with no skill, dumb luck only (and it brings significant rewards);
- missions differ and you need all three kind of planes in the setup to be competitive.

Thank you! I know the basic mechanic. It's just that I realized, compared to planes, here it's more effectively to focus on one-two vehicles for grinding them, putting something with relatively low BR in all the other slots. I've used my old tanks setup, before three lives rule, and just realized that one of the slots had 3.3 aced medium I didn't even try to use, while I was leveling up 2.7 heavy. Removing 3.3 and putting <1.7 to every slot significantly improved gameplay for me.

I.e., my new own way for playing tanks:
- focus on no more than two vehicles with similar BR;
- fill all but three slots with reserve trash;
- regardless of map/mission/current state play only vehicles you grind, i.e. with highest BR in setup.

Planes are different due to several issues:
- no respawn limit;
- shooting down higher BRs is pretty much doable, even with no skill, dumb luck only (and it brings significant rewards);
- missions differ and you need all three kind of planes in the setup to be competitive.

Yep, keep in mind though, that the post-match reward roulette takes into account the tiers of all the tanks that you have in your slots. So if you have two tier 2 tanks there, and then some reserve tanks, the roulette may give you a tier 1 talisman instead of tier 2 one. Best bet is to try to have all slots filled with same tier tanks while keeping the max BR as low as possible :)

Getting tier II talismans should be relatively common, I think I have 3 of them, even though I have played tiers IV and V a lot more. Tier IV and V talismans are very rare though...

Wace

Getting tier II talismans should be relatively common, I think I have 3 of them, even though I have played tiers IV and V a lot more. Tier IV and V talismans are very rare though...

I've never-ever got even one talisman yet. Only expendable doubles.

I've never-ever got even one talisman yet. Only expendable doubles.

They may have toned down the frequency of talisman rewards for the latest release with the introduction of orders. I have won some orders after that, but not talismans (or modules, they would be very handy with later tiers).

grmlin

Got 3 Talismans in total, the one for the M22 was the highest BR I think.

For me it never really mattered what the lowest BR in my lineup was, most of the time I get uptiered anyway ;)
I really don't enjoy grinding T4/5 that much, it's all so slow, both the grind and the matches. Sometimes it takes forever to reach the action (if you are in a heavy and slow tank), only to get bombed when you arrive...

Got 3 Talismans in total, the one for the M22 was the highest BR I think.

For me it never really mattered what the lowest BR in my lineup was, most of the time I get uptiered anyway ;)
I really don't enjoy grinding T4/5 that much, it's all so slow, both the grind and the matches. Sometimes it takes forever to reach the action (if you are in a heavy and slow tank), only to get bombed when you arrive...

Are you getting bombed less these days? I think they nerfed the bombers and boosted fighters with the latest update. At least my bombing runs have been failing with lot more often now than before... A fighter is capable of bringing your bomber down with a single burst. And the fighters are spawning closer now, previously you may have had time to drop your bombs before the fighters had reached you, but not any longer.

In princible this is all a good thing, but some people seem to be still able to do accurate rocket attacks and bombing runs despite the fighters. Annoying. On the other hand my T95 had surived many long matches from start to finish, previously I was the number 1 target for bombers.

grmlin

I think so, yes. I don't know if it got easier to wreck them, but you spawn really close with a fighter.
Too bad it's not a given that someone uses a fighter, so I still get bombed often enough.

I use my AA in revenge then, feels good :)

Had an interesting battle. I was in my T95, map was Ash River, and I was randomly spawn into the southern point. I decided than I didn't want to start crossing the hilly terrain, so I went up the hill overlooking A point. There were two guys already there when I finally got there, but I thought I still had a chance to take a shot every now and then, especially as I didn't need to go to cover between shots. As I was positioning myself, one of them, a white Tiger 2, backs into me, and its owner decides to call me an imbecille. I noticed that he was in some clan, so maybe he thought he was better than us common folks. I thought I had given him enough space, so I said fuck this guy and went forwards taking over the place he was in previosuly.

I then went forwards a bit more, so I wouldn't block this Tiger 2 (or the other guy who was just happy to be around) too much, I was at the edge of the cliff so I could shoot in direction of B also. Tiger 2 decided that he wants to push me down the cliff for taking his place. I push back and he gives up. I shoot at a couple of enemies, maybe scoring a critical or two (using APCR, so one-shot kills are rare). After some time Tiger 2 decides to push me some more, as I was halfway over the edge already. I start pushing back, and someone one-shoots him right there.

Then I played a couple of good matches with IS-4. But it's pretty random... sometimes someone one-shots you with a fin stabilished HEAT round, and sometimes you can take tons of hits and not receive too much damage. Then went back to playing some tier III German tanks that I haven't spaded yet (Panzer IV J and Jagdpanzer IV mainly). It's funny how fast these matches feel now, after having spent so much time in upper tiers. And some of the tactics that kind of work there would be insane in upper tiers.

grmlin

lol, some of these players really are way to serious about all this.

For me, silent bombs are really a problem at the moment. I would say, around 80% of the times I get killed by bombs, I did not hear shit and do the rage-dance. And the servers are under some load at times, too. Yesterday, I got teleported into a river, drowning of course.

Anyway, my IS-3 is close. We will see if I enjoy those T5 matches. To be honest, I'm quite sure I won't until I research the most basic stuff. And that will be some PITA.

lol, some of these players really are way to serious about all this.

For me, silent bombs are really a problem at the moment. I would say, around 80% of the times I get killed by bombs, I did not hear shit and do the rage-dance. And the servers are under some load at times, too. Yesterday, I got teleported into a river, drowning of course.

Anyway, my IS-3 is close. We will see if I enjoy those T5 matches. To be honest, I'm quite sure I won't until I research the most basic stuff. And that will be some PITA.

IS-3 and IS-4 have the same gun as IS-2, so the first AP ammo doesn't have much use in tier 5 matches. Better to use HE actually, which is still relatively useful in higher tier matches... I killed several T54s and IS-4s yesterday shooting 122mm HE shells into their front roof from a hill. Good times.

edit: And IS-3 is BR 8.0 in arcade, so you will meet tanks that will one-shot you all the time. I was lucky enough to get to play IS-3 when it was BR 7.0, and when there weren't BR 8.0 tanks around you were seal clubbing like crazy.

grmlin

Well, the gun is fine I think, the reload and armor of the IS-2 is a joke. :)
We will see, I will research T54 next.

grmlin

lol, you were right. How tf I'm supposed to do shit in this tank without modifications? The ammo does nothing to most tanks. This will be painful, I don't know if I can do this...

lol, you were right. How tf I'm supposed to do shit in this tank without modifications? The ammo does nothing to most tanks. This will be painful, I don't know if I can do this...

I have some bad news about the default ammo in T-54 :) Actually T-54 situation is a little worse, because the 100mm HE doesn't have the same effect as 122mm HE. With IS-X you can always switch to HE and cause some damage.

edit: I think I'll play with Russian tanks today. T-10-M research is going fine, 160k done out of 380k. And it looks like T-10-M has a relatively good default ammo, so you can do some damage right from the start.

grmlin

Yeah.... I will return turn to US tanks for the moment. The first experience was way to underwhelming to continue the t4 grind...

I played some Russian tank destroyers I haven't spaded yet, ISU-122 and ISU-122S and SU-85M, and holy shit did I do badly most of the time. Okay, sometimes I got 5-6 kills when there weren't Tiger 2s around, but those things are very weak compared to what you'd expect tank destroyers to be. Often I didn't get any kills, just some hits. And when I came across a tank, it seemed like they spotted me first almost every time, and often one-shotted me through the big flat faceplate... Or a T-34 85 or T-44 had to shoot twice, disabling my crew with the first shot and finishing the job with the second. Sigh.

Previously I have only upgraded the "keen vision" skill for my commander, as he should be the one doing most of the spotting, but maybe I should upgrade it for some other people too... not sure if it affects anything. Maybe gunner's skill could be raised, because he looks through the gunner's main sight, and maybe the loader's because he looks at different direction than the rest of the crew most of the time.

grmlin

That's the thing I miss most in this game, especially in Arcade, a solid spotting mechanic. I think World of Tanks has one? (never played it)

Russian tank destroyers have paper armor, in my SU100 it does not matter how I angle/position it, anyone can one shot me through the front. And something that I hate about all Russian tanks is the ridiculous gun depression. It's so bad on some of the maps with lots of hills and holes.

The US at ~5.0 is a lot of fun. The M18 is a beast fully upgraded and the Shermans are nice , too. Jumbo next.

That's the thing I miss most in this game, especially in Arcade, a solid spotting mechanic. I think World of Tanks has one? (never played it)

Russian tank destroyers have paper armor, in my SU100 it does not matter how I angle/position it, anyone can one shot me through the front. And something that I hate about all Russian tanks is the ridiculous gun depression. It's so bad on some of the maps with lots of hills and holes.

The US at ~5.0 is a lot of fun. The M18 is a beast fully upgraded and the Shermans are nice , too. Jumbo next.

Jumbo can take a good number of hits and survive, but the gun starts to be a bit too weak in that BR range. The 76mm Jumbo is a much better in firepower, but it meets toucher opponents.

After the painful TD experience I went back to German Pz IV J and Jagdpanzer IV I hadn't spaded yet, and finished the last module upgrades for them. I had Pz.Kpfw. KV-1B 756 as backup tank, and during one match I got 10 ground targets and 2 air targets, even though I was fighting Tiger 1s. Too bad tier III RP doesn't help much with tier V research, my Leo 1 resarch is under halfway done.

I also played a couple matches with German 3.7 lineup, and actually managerd to do pretty well with StuH, that I also haven't fully upgraded yet - actually it's the last tank under tier IV that I have not finished with. I think I'll finish it today before returning to higher tiers.

grmlin

They're not as easy as early T-34 series tanks though. You have to work a bit for your kills.

Hmm, I had the most fun and success with the Germans in lower tier. But I should drive the Russians again now, as I did not know what I was doing back then :D

grmlin

So I used my 6.0 Germans again, what a disaster... My Tiger Porsche did not kill a single tank. Everything bounced or did not do anything.

What a disappointment. Don't know what to do to have fun with these tanks again...

So I used my 6.0 Germans again, what a disaster... My Tiger Porsche did not kill a single tank. Everything bounced or did not do anything.

What a disappointment. Don't know what to do to have fun with these tanks again...

Yeah, I've been losing the whole day. Last game a T54 '49 one-shotted my IS-4 from the other side of the map hitting the turret front. And lower tiers didn't go much better.

grmlin

And to make things worse, I have to play that stupid Mosdok map over and over again.

the map rotation is really broken in this game.

I had Kursk like 5 times in a row yesterday, but usually the map rotation is working pretty well for me. I kind of like Mozdok, but it's hard to win with a shitty team.

Tier III - no-one wants to play SPAAG
Tier V - too many people switch to SPAAG after losing their first tank.

Oh well, got the T-10M, the ultimate Russian heavy tank. And it can be one-shotted by Russian and US medium tanks. Yay. Maybe it should be played like IS-3, and not angled at all... I'll try that tomorrow.

grmlin

I should try a T34 in a tier 5 match. Funny armor this night. 5 direct hits in the side, nothing.

Well, good night than :D

grmlin

OMG some maps are so crazy unbalanced in some modes, I don't even want to start the match. Berlin with a single cap at the Reichstag, me at the bottom. Once the upper team is settled, there is no way to reach it again ever.

How good was Gaijin in these things in the past? Did they change maps and match types to fix things?

OMG some maps are so crazy unbalanced in some modes, I don't even want to start the match. Berlin with a single cap at the Reichstag, me at the bottom. Once the upper team is settled, there is no way to reach it again ever.

How good was Gaijin in these things in the past? Did they change maps and match types to fix things?

If you go around the Reichstag, there's a place where you can snipe the northern positions from a window while they are almost unable to hit back. But reaching that place is pretty difficult after the northern team is in position, at least I haven't had the patience finding a safe route. Most of the time I go to the middle cap point, at least there you are pretty well protected from flanking.

Mozdok has gone through so many changes it's almost unrecognisable. I'm not sure if the latest version is more balanced than the previous ones, but at least it's unbalanced in completely different ways. I preferred the version where one cap point was located on a raised road, and both teams could reach it from their sides without being capable of shooting each other without crossing the road. Those matches were intense, you could just sit on the cap and wait for the other team to make a mistake, or try to flank them from further away.

grmlin

The problem is, it was only one cap point at the Reichstag and other than the lower team, they can shoot you from almost everywhere when you try to cap it.for the lower team the point is blocked with walls.

The problem is, it was only one cap point at the Reichstag and other than the lower team, they can shoot you from almost everywhere when you try to cap it.for the lower team the point is blocked with walls.

I didn't get Berlin even once today, I was going to explore the map a bit... Getting sick of Kuban again, somehow it feel like I'm getting it more than any other map. My battle history says Eastern Europe, Kuban, Ash River, Jungle, Normandy, Jungle, Poland, Normandy, Ash River, Finland, Kuban, Kuban, Jungle, Carpathians, White Rock and Finland.... Somehow I thought it was more. Oh well. At least the old same map twice pattern is gone.

I made myself a Russian 5.3 lineup, so I could finish upgrading SU-85M, and looks like when fighting enemies at same BR range, this thing is pretty good. Compared to regular SU-85, this one can survive a few hits. Which is nice as always.

I will have my ZSU-57 research ready soon, after that I have T-54 '49 and '51, SU-122-54 and (recently downtrend to tier IV) ISU-152 left.

grmlin

Oh kuban. Sometimes fun, mostly sniping and camping heaven. I think its quite boring.

Not as worse as Mosdok. Bah, worst map for me.

I'm a little distracted lately by world of warships and some armored warfare. So my grind stagnated a little. Still love my US tanks at 5.0 though. The jumbo is fun

I still have 30 days of premium left. Feels a bit like I'm wasting it if I'm playing other games :) Well, after 30 days I should have most of the tanks researched... then I can just play my favourite tanks and not feel the need to grind new stuff.

grmlin

Well, even with all the issues I have with the game, the money Gaijin got from me is well deserved. I had so much fun playing this game!

I still play it on a daily basis, the "one more tank" syndrome still get's me all the time :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Had some amazing moments with my friends flying low tier 2's to get our free plane which we will probably never fly over the weekend.

Getting 250 kills only took us all of saturday haha.

Using the classic "click join battle at the same time" trick we managed to get all 6 of us into an arcade game at the same time.

59ED55F663B5826E5C2D8492D08A7E5DE510EB23

It was super cool seeing all our smoke trails.

Top Bottom