• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

grmlin

Oh how does this game decide to punish me with bad teams over and over again? No one going to cap, everybody is staying safe, doing shit.
And if this happens, I have a feeling you get marked to experience this beautiful matches over and over again by the game.

The log in roulette gave me 500% RP bonus for one match. I played some tier III first, and then switched to tier V, trying to get maximum gain from it. The first game in tier V goes okay (3831 RP for next unit), but I noticed that I forgot to activate the booster. Damn... let's try again. The next match goes well at first, but then the enemy captures all cap points and keeps them. Defeat. 9813 RP for next unit. These boosters would be so much better if you could activate them only if you win the match, like the old daily bonus did always.

Looks like I only got 203 kills for the weekend event... damn, I should have played more with easier tanks, 250 kills would not have been hard to get.

Wace

The problem is, it was only one cap point at the Reichstag and other than the lower team, they can shoot you from almost everywhere when you try to cap it.for the lower team the point is blocked with walls.

Here's how you fix it.

1. Make a screenshot (or lots of them) to prove your point.

2. Go to russian WT Forum (credentials from the game work).

3. Post your complaint here: http://forum.warthunder.ru/index.php?/topic/141308-volchia-nora-dubl-dva-karty-missii-lokatcii-str/
Whitie_W0lf, map developer, is very responsive
http://forum.warthunder.ru/index.ph...arty-missii-lokatcii-str/page-17#entry4672387 - here's an example. Note says "fixed", reaction time is less than an hour.

Right now he's on the crusade versus unfair map positions, so any such info will be appreciated. No promises, but may be worth trying.

Meh, the 12 gig update yesterday took too much time, and I had only time to play a couple of games. I'm starting to like T-10M. One shotted two Mauses(?) yesterday when they failed to angle themselves. My kill and winrates are better than with IS-4, although IS-3 is still much better, because I mostly played with it when it was BR 7.0, and totally OP.

A 12GB update? I did not play at all yesterday. I will have take a look this night, I think

Yeah, the PS4 update was about 12 GB I think, but PC update may be a lot smaller. It seems like you have to reload most of the game every time there's a small update on PS4.

edit: It looks like my brain is now wired to enjoy the slow and careful tier V gameplay, because tier III was way too fast and insane for me :) Strange how these things change.

Some tier V players are as stupid as tier I players. I tried to warn some people that enemy was attacking the spawn area from west, shot my machine guns in that direction and marked the enemies to them. And nothing, they just kept staring straight ahead and trying to snipe enemies 1.5 km away and in cover.

grmlin

Update on my PC was ~250MB. So yeah, Sony/PSN FTW ;)

Lol, so I read the patchnotes and they said, the Porsche Tiger Premium was "fixed". Well, it is, if your'e my enemy. EVERYTHING bounces or only makes scratches.
I will try some more, maybe the RNG lottery did not went well for me....

One more edit: It's sooooooo incredibly frustrating getting uptiered ALL THE FUCKING time playing my 6.0 German lineup. I'm really done with it for the moment, I can't play this with ~1500xp a round because nothing happens when I shoot. Very sad.

Ha, the rapid fire event is hilarious! Too bad I saw it way to late and only did couple of matches.

The SPAA events are always great. Too bad I missed it yesterday, but I'm going to try my luck with my premium ZUT-37 today :) Frankly that thing is useless against planes, but against other SPAA it might do some damage.

It would be nice if they allowed Kugelblitz, M19, M42 and ZTU-57 to join in, but obviously they would be a bit OP compared to the low tier models.

Meh, I'm pretty sure people who play the rapid fire event are cheating. No way you can kill everything you see that quickly with a wiberwind...

grmlin

I think it's extremely random. I wrecked people with the M16 and it's pewpew machine guns with single shots. Next match, nothing happened :D

Anyway, I started using my German 5.0 and 5.7 lineup again and omg I do so much better than with 6.0. I get uptiered WAY less often and research is ok. I'll see what 6.7 brings to the table.

I think it's extremely random. I wrecked people with the M16 and it's pewpew machine guns with single shots. Next match, nothing happened :D

Anyway, I started using my German 5.0 and 5.7 lineup again and omg I do so much better than with 6.0. I get uptiered WAY less often and research is ok. I'll see what 6.7 brings to the table.

6.7 has long been the best BR range to play, in a sense that you very rarely meet 7.7 tanks (the first T-54 and Leo 1 for example), and are more likely to meet 6.0 and 5.7 tanks (as you know by now :).

Jagdtiger and T-95 at 7.0 are pretty difficult opponents, but T-95 can be killed from front with a cupola hit, and Jagdtiger witha couple of lower glacis hits.

I will have soon aced my T-95, only the last upgrade to be done. That wen't pretty quickly, as it has been fun to play. M-46 in comparison has been pretty poor... the default sabot round doesn't do as much damage as it should, and it has been slow yo upgrade. Not to mention, I got uptiered almost every time when I played my 7.0 lineup yesterday.

grmlin

Ha, you immediately know that the matchmaking wants to fool you.

Me in my US 4.7 setup against 70% 5.7. Ok, that's one thing. But that most of my team is 4.7, too, sucks bad. You can't win this. Frustrating.

Good I had many matches in the same BR before with great outcome, so I'll forget about this one. I would love a playlist with +- 0.5 BR instead of the 1 atm. It's so much more fun to fight against the same league.

Had a couple of good matches in my Maus... this thing is not that bad, but the new tanks will kill it easily if they have their best ammo available. You start losing crew members quicky... Well, 60k RP left and Leo 1 is mine.

Also tried the Mozdok sim event. The large Mozdok map is so much better than the small one they use in arcade. My Panzer IV F2 was one shotten twice, so I changed sides and managed 4 kills with my KV-1. Which is pretty good for me in sim, I'm usually shot before I manage to see anything.

grmlin

I don't do sim events anymore. I always have the feeling to meet the creme de la creme. That I have to distinguish tanks does not make it any better lol.

Realistic is fine sometimes as I see my friends, but sim is not for me.

Wace

I pledge to switch to Sim as soon as the Morpheus comes. Before that it's a waste of time versus WT ubergeeks. It'll be a waste of time with Morpheus too, but at least it would be fantastic.

I don't do sim events anymore. I always have the feeling to meet the creme de la creme. That I have to distinguish tanks does not make it any better lol.

Yeah... I also played a realistic match yesterday in my Russian tier V lineup. At the start I join a group of friendly tanks, and follow them towards the enemy side. But soon I notice that they are only going to go and attack the enemy spawn point from side. I leave them in disgust and go towards the capture point, trying to give support fire for the couple of friendly tanks that are going towards it. Score a couple of hits to enemies but soon got surrounded by enemies that killed the friendly spawn campers and followed their route to me. After respawning in SPAAG (because I didn't get any kills) I get killed almost instantly by a enemy Leopard spawn camping our spawn point from a hill.

In the end our team won, because we had more people going for the cap point, but I didn't really have fun there.

I don't know, maybe realistic is best in lower tiers, but in tiers IV and V its unplayable because the spawn system is so easy to abuse.

grmlin

You know what sucks? Playing like 5 great rounds in your tier and you finally decide to activate your booster. Of course the next match will uptier me, and run like shit. I would say 80% of my shots bounced.

Damn you game!

You know what sucks? Playing like 5 great rounds in your tier and you finally decide to activate your booster. Of course the next match will uptier me, and run like shit. I would say 80% of my shots bounced.

Damn you game!

Yeah, I think I won like one game after I activated my 5x30% booster today. Well, never mind, I played for a bit and finally got my Leopard now. It shouldn't be a surprise any longer, but the 105 mm gun is inaccurate as hell without the upgrade modules... funny that the Russian 122mm doesn't suffer similar problems, as T-10M was quite lethal from the start. And not having parts upgrade seems to cause everyone to aim right at my gun, so it's useless in any case. I didn't rally have a good match wit Leo yet, but it's fast and the default ammo has good amount of penetration (but bounces very easily if you hit an angled armour, so getting upgraded ammo would be pretty nice).

edit: also met a couple of M-60 tanks with my Leo. Lost in the end in both cases, the first one got my gun and the second one had HEAT rounds that cut through my armour like it was butter. I managed to kill a couple of crew members from their turrets with the default sabot round, but it clearly lacks the destructive power to cause enough damage on penetration. It's a shame if Leo ends of being the worst of the 3 new tanks...

grmlin

Well, that does not sound very exciting :(

I like my US tanks more and more. That M18 is still awesome and the Shermans are nice, too. (once upgraded).

Research starts to take eternities now though, so I will stick to M18 and BR 4.7 for the moment. Mainly because the MM works most of the time (when I don't use boosters...)

BTW: I did not touch that IS-3 again, after my first match with it...

Well, that does not sound very exciting :(

I like my US tanks more and more. That M18 is still awesome and the Shermans are nice, too. (once upgraded).

Research starts to take eternities now though, so I will stick to M18 and BR 4.7 for the moment. Mainly because the MM works most of the time (when I don't use boosters...)

BTW: I did not touch that IS-3 again, after my first match with it...

I'm probably being a bit too negative, but it's weird how 85mm, 88mm, 90mm and 122mm are pretty accurate from the start but 100mm and especially 105mm can't hit a thing at >1km.

Tier IV research times are not that bad, especially if you play with the previous model and get the 30% research bonus. Tier V is much worse obviously, without premium time or premium tanks it will take eternity.

IS-3 is a bit weak in BR8.0 matches. But if you play with HE rounds first, and switch to AP only after you get the best AP round, you should be doing okay. T-54 and even IS-4 can be killed with a HE shell to the turret.

edit: I noticed that many people are bit cocky when they notice that they are facing "only" a IS-3 opponent, and forget that it has the same gun and ammo types as IS-4.

Wace

WT said:
comet_2.jpg

churchill_2.jpg

cent_2.jpg

Before the end of the year... you guessed it

Gaijin is teasing us with pictures of British Comet tank. Coming this year. It will be nice to start with another nation again, hopefully the British tanks will come sooner rather than late this year.

Edit: thanks Wace :)

Wace

It will be nice to start with another nation again, hopefully the British tanks will come sooner rather than late this year.

According to what I've read about early Churchills it'll be crazy fun on I-II tier: nobody can hit you and you can't hit anyone as well.

According to what I've read about early Churchills it'll be crazy fun on I-II tier: nobody can hit you and you can't hit anyone as well.

Yeah, I can imagine German tanks having some problems fighting it, but in mixed battles Soviet and US forces have pretty big guns already in early tiers. I hope they balance things carefully...

Wace

Yeah, I can imagine German tanks having some problems fighting it, but in mixed battles Soviet and US forces have pretty big guns already in early tiers. I hope they balance things carefully...

Found Baryatinsky bit in English, sorry for translation quality.

Mikhail Baryatinsky said:
On March, 22nd, 1943 five tanks Churchills from this regiment under command of Guards Captain Belogub attacked the opponent. The tanks rushed German positions where four of them were knocked out and one retreated. Crews did not leave their tanks and from March 22 until March 25 they remained in them and fired from their spot. Every night submachine gunners of 50th Regiment delivered ammunition and the foodstuffs to the tankers. Over three days the Churchills destroyed an artillery battery, four bunkers, an ammunition warehouse up to two platoons of infantry. The Germans repeated suggestions that the crews of the knocked-out tanks surrender were answered with fire. On March 25, the tankers managed to hook a tractor to Belogub’s tank and tow it to the rear. The crews of the other three tanks departed with the infantry. Without estimating the organisation of the fight which has led to such result, it is necessary to underline that the crews which stayed in tanks for three days did not suffer any person killed. The lives of the tankers were saved by the Churchill's armour, which the German artillery could not penetrate at this time.

grmlin

Ok, sounds great. New content is always nice :)

Had a wonderful match with the best team mates you could hope for. NOT

Right at the beginning, someone pushed me onto a gas station and my M18 had to repair for 45 seconds. After that, a T34 blocked my retreat-path and I was thankfully shot by ~3 enemy tanks.

rage quit

world of warships it is, now. :D

Huh, I noticed that my 75mm M3 was not yet aced, and played a single match with my American BR 2.3 lineup. Got 2 aircrafts, 7 ground kills and 2 assists, 2 base captures, best score of the match and 24911 silver lions. That was fun... You don't have to worry about your shitty team mates because you can do everything yourself.

Can't wait to try out British tanks. I'm considering getting a couple months of premium account just to grind to the Centurion. If the blog post is to be believed, it might be around BR 6.7, which will be very, very..... interesting.

12k SL repair cost for Maus and 8k for Tiger 2 is getting too expensive. It seems like I must play Russian in order to make enough money to play German...

grmlin

So currently I try to grind the modifications for the Walker Bulldog. OMG what a joke that game is at times. I mean, all these Tiger IIs and worse don't even look at me, they blow me from the map with thin air.
I'm now in a "try something, die, quit to Hangar" repeat mode.

So currently I try to grind the modifications for the Walker Bulldog. OMG what a joke that game is at times. I mean, all these Tiger IIs and worse don't even look at me, they blow me from the map with thin air.
I'm now in a "try something, die, quit to Hangar" repeat mode.

Sadly Leopard 1 is very similar to Walker Bulldog. Fast and nimble, and the ammo has good penetration, but lacks destructive power. Well, Bulldog has sabot as best ammo, and Leo has it as the first ammo type, so maybe HEAT will be better. But grinding is slow... luckily repair costs are not too bad compared to heavy tanks. But the again, the armour is unrealistically bad in Leo.

Tried the 4 vs 4 events also. In arcade I got bombed almost instantly, and half of my team quit, so that didn't go too well. The Sim (realistic really) event went about as badly, but I managed to cap and our team won because of it, even if the enemy got all the kills.

Aced my T95 today... funny how I've had my T32 for months longer, and still have only half of the modules for that. But T95 was just so much more fun to play.

grmlin

So, I tried my Germans at 6.0 again and I could swear that they nerfed my Porsche Tiger. It does not do anything anymore. No kills, everything bounces. Now that's sad!
The matchmaking is still broken for this br so I return to my US lineup :)

Edit: researched the last ammo type for my Bulldog, don't know what it's called. I call them Tiger terminators lol. Awesome tank now, still dead if I'm not the first one who shoots

Edit: researched the last ammo type for my Bulldog, don't know what it's called. I call them Tiger terminators lol. Awesome tank now, still dead if I'm not the first one who shoots

Yeah, that's sabot shell. I've had insane situations with Bulldog, where I'm surrounded by the enemy, but somehow manage to outrun and side shoot the lot of them. Sadly these situations are quite rare, PC players with fast networks and low graphics settings seem to get the advantage of first shot far too often.

I got myself a T-54 '49 today. The default ammo and accuracy are poor once again... I think I'll switch back to US side and start grinding M103 next. Heavy tanks seem to suit me, at least I usually survive the first hit :)

grmlin

Yeah, that's sabot shell. I've had insane situations with Bulldog, where I'm surrounded by the enemy, but somehow manage to outrun and side shoot the lot of them. Sadly these situations are quite rare, PC players with fast networks and low graphics settings seem to get the advantage of first shot far too often.

I got myself a T-54 '49 today. The default ammo and accuracy are poor once again... I think I'll switch back to US side and start grinding M103 next. Heavy tanks seem to suit me, at least I usually survive the first hit :)

Yeah, I saw a youtube video of someone showing the lowest settings in WT. Haha, no way I would play this game like that, but I will not play any more RB or SB knowing, others do. It's a game breaker, like a wall hack.

grmlin

So I have to ask something, again.

Why TF do planes have crash damage in Arcade? No, it was not a bomber it was a fighter. I destroyed him, he fell onto my head, dead. I don't know if the crash killed him though.

Edit: those crazy wooden fences. I drove over one with my Bulldog, flipped onto my head. Even better, none of my team mates (this happened 5 seconds after spawn) helped me....

So I have to ask something, again.

Why TF do planes have crash damage in Arcade? No, it was not a bomber it was a fighter. I destroyed him, he fell onto my head, dead. I don't know if the crash killed him though.

Edit: those crazy wooden fences. I drove over one with my Bulldog, flipped onto my head. Even better, none of my team mates (this happened 5 seconds after spawn) helped me....

Yeah, the crash damage is definitely there, and it was increased in the last patch, I think... and at the same time they increased the number of planes in lower tiers and removed the repair cost you used to get from crashing your plane. I don't know man, I played a couple of tier II matches and it was insane. Well, I had a couple of good matches also, but for some reason quite many people knew how to one-shot SMK and premium T-34E, so I got killed a lot more than usual.

I decided to finish researching M47, and now I could go on to research M60, or go to the heavy tank route and get the M103 first. M47 with the default ammo is not too impressive, but maybe people were more scared of it or something, but I survived better in it than in M46 in the first couple of matches.

I had to go play tier 2 for a bit so I could afford to buy a second 1 million SL tank in two days + 280000 SL crew training. These prices are a bit steep. Expert crew training would be another million SL, and I'll have to skip it for now.

grmlin

Totally what I wanted :( :( :(

Maybe they did it because AA trucks are op otherwise? I got up to 8 planes down I think in Arcade if the match was lost. Now every fighter pew pew's me with its machine guns out of the match... very disappointing.

Tonight the game trolled me again with the maps. I only played Berlin, Poland and jungle. nothing else. Meh, slowly but steady my urge to play this game declines.

Totally what I wanted :( :( :(

Maybe they did it because AA trucks are op otherwise? I got up to 8 planes down I think in Arcade if the match was lost. Now every fighter pew pew's me with its machine guns out of the match... very disappointing.

Tonight the game trolled me again with the maps. I only played Berlin, Poland and jungle. nothing else. Meh, slowly but steady my urge to play this game declines.

They also did something to make the bombers less accurate... maybe the bombs bounce more? Not sure what happens there, as I'm not very familar with the aviation side. And SPAAG fire is more accurate than what it used to be, maybe guns overheat less now (I heard previosuly they just copy/pasted plane guns into SPAAGs, making them overheat too quickly compared AA guns). Previously I was able to fly in a straight line and place my bombs using the bomb sights, but now it's impossible even with just one SPAAG opponent. And fighters spawn lot closer to bombers now. And that's definitely an improvement.

It's always good idea to switch between nations and tiers when you get frustrated with things. And I think there's some bug in the map rotation system... I've started getting the same map two times a row again now, even if I take a 15-30 minute break between the matches. It's weird. Maybe you need to restart the whole game in order to break away from the loop. Yesterday the game game me Karelia, and I noticed that I hadn't played it in several days. I wouldn't mind playing Poland more often, it's one of the maps that never get old for me. And Karelia is now better than what it used to be, even if the quick spawn to spawn route is a bit weird addition.

grmlin

Something I noticed, too: I did not have any more silent bombs since the last patch. Maybe they fixed things there.

Anyway, I love the Bulldog if rng does not screw things up. If you don't peek at the same spot in case the enemy survived, you can do lots of damage. I think I have to try this tank in RB, but I have to learn the aiming without arcade help first.
Of course, sometimes rng is your friend, too. In one game I bounced 4 shots of Tiger IIs. One of them was a direkt hit on my side. After I killed that Tiger the guy driving it probably was quite pissed lol.

Something I noticed, too: I did not have any more silent bombs since the last patch. Maybe they fixed things there.

Anyway, I love the Bulldog if rng does not screw things up. If you don't peek at the same spot in case the enemy survived, you can do lots of damage. I think I have to try this tank in RB, but I have to learn the aiming without arcade help first.
Of course, sometimes rng is your friend, too. In one game I bounced 4 shots of Tiger IIs. One of them was a direkt hit on my side. After I killed that Tiger the guy driving it probably was quite pissed lol.

I still get the silent bombs. Several times when playing with SPAAG, I've shot down a plane and its bombs kill me even when there's not sound.

They also beefed up Tiger 2 a bit. Previosuly a side turrent hit was an insta-kill even with an APCR and sabot, but now you just get a critical and kill some of the crew, and it keeps on moving. This makes Tiger 2 (H) even more the best tier IV tank in the game.

Yesterday I also killed a T-34, which to me was partly visible from behind a hill, but the guy driving it claimed I shot him through the hill and was cheating. He keps messaging me and claiming I was using some cheat program, until I pointed out that I was playing with a PS4. Some people get upset a bit too easily playing this game.

And then I went head to head with a T-44, driving a T32 myself. I shot him into turrent first, scoring a hit injuring his crew a bit, and bounced his returning fire, I thought I made some damage, and continued driving, trying to get behind him for the kill shot. There was a building he was using as cover, and I tried to drive around it. He figured out what I was doing, and tried to do the same to me... well, his tank was faster, so I turned around and waited for him to appear. He did, I shot him into turrent again, bounced. He shot me and disabled my tank, and his third shot killed me. T-44 is annoying in this way, its armor is relatively weak, but it bounces shots like crazy. You can lose to it with a much better armored tank...

Later I took out a Tiger 2 (10.5 cm) using the same trick using my M42 SPAAG - we were losing and they were coming for our spawn point, so I figured I try to take out one of them. A half dozend hits to the side killed the crew.

grmlin

Yeah, somites the game really makes some weird decisions calculating things... first you kill things all the time with one shot, only to put shot after shot in the same tank without killing him in the next match...

and fences really are bugged as hell. Driving across them in light tanks scares me at the moment, it's like crossing spring loaded catapults.

Yeah, somites the game really makes some weird decisions calculating things... first you kill things all the time with one shot, only to put shot after shot in the same tank without killing him in the next match...

and fences really are bugged as hell. Driving across them in light tanks scares me at the moment, it's like crossing spring loaded catapults.

Certain German mid-tier medium tanks take a lot of damage to the suspension when you drive across rough terrain. It's funny how much faster American tier 1-2 tanks can cross the same terrain without any problems

grmlin

Certain German mid-tier medium tanks take a lot of damage to the suspension when you drive across rough terrain. It's funny how much faster American tier 1-2 tanks can cross the same terrain without any problems

haha yes. I remember driving across the Kuban map with full speed in a German T1 tank, only to end up in a hole with two crewmen dead and a repair time of ~2 minutes :D

Top Bottom