• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

Wace

More Emils to the God of Emils...

I.e. two new Bf.109E announced, E-7 & E-4. Also there has been new Japanese plane promised in the comments, so not everything is that boring.

Wace

Someone said on chat that 1.53 is going to be on dev server tomorrow, so the release may be in two weeks or so...

They have "birthday" of the project somewhere in the beginning of November, but I doubt they'll delay patch for that - too much of a chance of fuck up.

They have "birthday" of the project somewhere in the beginning of November, but I doubt they'll delay patch for that - too much of a chance of fuck up.

Yeah, some kind of birthday event is more likely.

Speakin of, the air events that are on this weekend are actually all pretty fun. Although I don't have many planes that can be used in them, the ones I have need the RPs I can get in these events.

Some Youtubers seem to be playing on dev server with alternative accounts. I guess 1.53 will be coming pretty soon then..

I played a few matches with attackers / light bombers yesterday and did pretty well, I guess I have learned something.

Wace

Dev Server is live. Highlights (not mentioned in previous posts):

Gaijin said:
  • In SB ground vehicles, the gunner view now represents the view from, where physically the sight was mounted on specific ground vehicles.
  • New mechanism for measuring target distance for RB and SB game modes with new modification “rangefinder” which has been added for ground vehicles that were equipped with a mounted range finder.
  • New crew skill mechanics
  • It is now possible to earn “vehicle for rent” in a trophy.
  • A7M1 (NK9H)
  • MGs, both AA and twin are now available for all ground vehicles that were equipped with them.
  • Affecting all Ground Vehicles with a separate loading chance of ammo explosion - the chance has been significantly decreased. An ammo rack can be destroyed by a direct hit of cumulative jet or close explosion of ammo containing 150 gr or more explosives. A loading rack is still vulnerable to all damage including spalling.
  • Reload on capture and base points now starts automatically, if the player doesn't move and will be interrupted if he starts to move.
  • The amount of explosives contained in a shell has been added to the info card for ground vehicles

Wace

Do I understand this correct? In tanks, when I shoot in cover, I'm revealed for the enemy? Is this for Arcade?

Ok, now when I have crew skill screenshot it's easier to understand.\

Distance is measured in meters, second number column (База) is for rookies, rightmost (Топ) - the best value that can exist. Rows (detection of unmoving, unshooting tank) read as follows:

Unconditional detection
Driving direction detection
Sight direction detection (doubled with binoculars)
Unconditional recognition
Driving direction recognition
Sight direction recognition
Airplane detection

Moving target: multiply distance by ~1.3, shooting target: multiply distance by 2.

Comments are bad news, though: they take average skill from all the crew to check (so even if your driver has top skill you still won't get best results for driving direction). Also, I would assume that getting crew members killed would lower the score. That is realistic, though.

I'll scan the forums for more info.

image.png.jpeg

I'm glad we get rid of useless skills, but at the same time I'm worried that my crews will be pretty weak after the update.

I played a couple of tier 5 tank matches, and so far none of the top tanks were really dominating, it was surprisingly balanced really. I just felt bad for the Panther players who had to fight tier 5 tanks with 75mm guns

Wace

I'm glad we get rid of useless skills, but at the same time I'm worried that my crews will be pretty weak after the update.

It is promised, that everything will stay the same, except for visibility rules. Skills are just better explained now, as well as a bit streamlined. There's also a way now to reach "Ace" status without spending GE, through grinding only. It will cost a lot, though.

Wace

Ok, this one is HOT!

This thing will be in War Thunder, but only as a "promotion" item. I.e. you'll be able to get it during one (or more) special event, similar to Po-2, La-174, TB-3, etc.

What is this? E100?

Looks like it. Tiger-Maus, eh? That's pretty interesting, but probably going to be very difficult to get...

I played a match in the Enduring Confrontation event. Realistic mode and the second lowest BR range. Quite an interesting idea, but it seems like there were quite many upper tier players seal clubbing the noobs, and I did really badly in terms of kills. Got 20 000 vehicle RPs in two hours despite sucking, and finished researching my first tier IV plane, La-7. Then I accidentally started a random arcade match and got almost as many kills in 10 minutes as in 2 hours of the event..

I think I'll fine tune my plane setup and try the event again tomorrow.

LOL, I just now noticed that there was a PS4 only bundle for 20 euros/dollars, than included a tier 4 American bomber, two weeks premium time and 2000 golden eagles. I went ahead and bought it, and this thing is awesome (or at least will be once I have my gun crews updated). I made 10 000 vehicle RPs just by bombing and winning, there was no need to shoot down enemy fighters even. With this and premium account I should go through American tier IV in no time and soon have my first jet fighter.

Wace

OMG. Just read the latest patchnotes, and they finally listed famous hangar camera bug for PS4 as fixed.

Me happy.

On other notes: "real" targeting is left for SB only, as RB players whine about parallax to much. Also now there's possibility to turn off gunners AI on bombers, so they won't waste ammo if you don't want it.

Wace

Hmm... what does this mean in practice?

They've introduced tanks "real targeting" to realistic and simulation, with reticle sideways shift being configured at settings. Basically, if your target is at the right distance: it works as it should. If it's closer, you should aim "lefter", if further - "righter". Sorry, it's hard for me to explain it in English without using Webster. It's similar to using wing cannons for planes - distance matters for accuracy.

https://youtu.be/cyC0zKKgLpo?t=576 (note timing)

After lots of complaints it was decided to keep it for SB only... for now.

They've introduced tanks "real targeting" to realistic and simulation, with reticle sideways shift being configured at settings. Basically, if your target is at the right distance: it works as it should. If it's closer, you should aim "lefter", if further - "righter". Sorry, it's hard for me to explain it in English without using Webster. It's similar to using wing cannons for planes - distance matters for accuracy.

https://youtu.be/cyC0zKKgLpo?t=576 (note timing)

After lots of complaints it was decided to keep it for SB only... for now.

Oh yeah, the offset between gun barrel and aiming scope. Well, that's not a huge deal, it only affects aiming in close range. It would be nice to have of course, now you can pull out shots that would be impossible in real life.

With my new A-26C, I researched 3 US tier IV planes in one day. I ran out of silver eagles, so I can't even try my new F-82 (you get more research points boost than SL boost with premium vehicles which may lead to situations like this). But I need just two more tier IV units and I can start researching my first jet.

Wace

Sorry, guys, I'm running my conference till the end of the week, so it'll be late and short this time.

Official confirmation of E-100

Gaijin said:
e-100Hs.jpg

http://coub.com/view/8oysz

Why have you decided to add E-100? How can I get the Е-100?

This vehicle is on the more “powerful” side of the E-series and we think that it is a very interesting and anticipated addition for our players. We decided that it is well suited for one of the autumn specials. Details will follow, so keep an eye on the news for more information.

The E-100 had 75 mm side-screens will they help against HEAT and HE? Will we be able to rip em off?

The E-100 will have the side-screens and they can be ripped off after receiving a couple of hits.

Will the performance of the main gun and ammo ballistics be different from the ones of the Maus?

No.

Will the Е-100 be the only tank of the E-series?

Yes, we don’t plan to add or create any other E-series vehicles. From the E-series, the only value lies with the E-100, because the other projects, the E-50 and E-75 had similar characteristics to the Panther and Tiger II (combat weight, weaponry, armour). Thus they were not constructed in any form at all, as opposed to E-100, which was designed and built to a fairly advanced state.

More at http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/843

Major patch is expected next week.
Dev server already has FAB-5000 (though players complain it's too weak).

British tanks available on dev, handling, armor, ammo for each (in Russian):

A13 Mk2 1939
https://youtu.be/waYtuXrNn3c
https://youtu.be/HIIgJ3oY9Ks
https://youtu.be/CKOJCkHveL8

Achilles
https://youtu.be/YBenvrMqq_k
https://youtu.be/04ZHfz47sy8
https://youtu.be/k_SaGoEXRcE

FireFly
https://youtu.be/FldbY4vBo2g
https://youtu.be/r5-aCS1_tcs
https://youtu.be/2EljnZ4jRWc

Black Prince
https://youtu.be/f4NkxrGDCtI
https://youtu.be/T1i41WdzP-k
https://youtu.be/nLRzboYL4m8

Wace

Seems that playing tanks after hard work is a way to go. Day's frustration almost gone, after I've aced Su-85M and KV-85 and researched ZSU-37.

Seems that playing tanks after hard work is a way to go. Day's frustration almost gone, after I've aced Su-85M and KV-85 and researched ZSU-37.

ZSU-37 is pretty nice, the only thing ZSU-57 does better is killing tanks, but it's usually pretty risky business. I wish playing American tier IV planes was as relaxing, but even 6 .50 cal machine guns is no match for regular old 20 mm cannons, and not many American planes have them. I have 100 000 RPs missing from the second Bearcat, and after that I can start researching my first jet.

Wace

ZSU-37 is pretty nice, the only thing ZSU-57 does better is killing tanks, but it's usually pretty risky business. I wish playing American tier IV planes was as relaxing, but even 6 .50 cal machine guns is no match for regular old 20 mm cannons, and not many American planes have them. I have 100 000 RPs missing from the second Bearcat, and after that I can start researching my first jet.

Jets are overrated. :)

Well, not overrated, but they change gameplay dramatically. Minimal speed is almost doubled; if you see someone within 2-3km he'll be on your tail in seconds; powerful and long-range guns (shot down Canberra from 1.4km once, 1.1-1.2km kills are normal, especially with head-on attacks). Completely different game.

Jets are overrated. :)

Well, not overrated, but they change gameplay dramatically. Minimal speed is almost doubled; if you see someone within 2-3km he'll be on your tail in seconds; powerful and long-range guns (shot down Canberra from 1.4km once, 1.1-1.2km kills are normal, especially with head-on attacks). Completely different game.

Seems every time I play against Japanese with BR 6.0 planes, they have BR 7.0 jets. It's a pretty challenging when you don't have cannons yourself :)

Wace

Not sure if someone posted it already, as it's kinda old news, but still, I've just noticed it, so here they are, some replies from V.Bulannikov, main tank guy.

BVV_d said:
Panther with 75mm KwK L/100 - No
Tier V premium tanks - Nothing right now or in near future
T-44-100 - Yes, 1.55 most probably
What classification will you use for British tanks? - British (infantry, cruiser, etc.)
KV-1S will not be the last KV tank.
ZSU 23-4 - Yes omg, omg, omg
Churchills - Yes on Mk III and Mk VII, not sure about AVRE
М48А1, М60А1 - Yes, planned
Large-caliber German SPGs? - Planned for 1.55
Tetrarch - Possible
KPz/MBT 70 - Doubtful
Matilda - Yes
BMP-1 - Possible

Added, explanation of ammo exposion

BVV_d said:
Re: why do you consider ammo racks to be single object with explosion probability based on number of ammo left.

It's not like that. We treat each ammo rack as separate object with it's own durability and status. We're not planning to make each ammo a separate object (in this case we'll need to go further and treat each ammo as three objects: ammo, shell, fuse). But we did change some probability settings for different effects (explosion, gunpowder ignition, modules ignition, etc) in 1.53 and plan to improve them further. On every tank with separate loading there are different effects and different probabilities now, for example.

We've dug up a lot of reports, mostly fleet expertiments on ammo rack explosions. It turned out to be rather rare occasion, even explosion of 16'' shell with rather big payload near other ones rarely did lead to the other shells exploding. On the other hand gunpowder ignition was rather common occurance, leading to tank-destroying fire. And this will happen in 1.53.

My apologies for bad translation.

Got my first jet yesterday. The first P-80 is not very good is it, at least the stock M2 machine guns are almost useless. Well... I'll keep playing and try to get better models, I like some aspects the plane, it's just that most enemies have cannons that will kill you with a hit or two and you need several bursts to weak points.

Wace

Quick update:

1. No word on patch yet, but 3-year anniversary of the project is coming, so COME ON, Gaijin!

2. There's voting on package to be discounted (PC/Mac store only, though). Top 5 will be discounted for 50% as part of the birthday events. There'll be "something cool as well" for PS4.

3. PS4 users can join the Halloween-dedicated event (bomb ground bots) with solid chance (200 bombed bots with bomber/attacker in 3 days) to win Po-2. For those of you who still doesn't have one - highly recommended.

4. There's also scary screenshot competition, if you like that kind of thing (photoshop allowed), details here.

PS: One can post on regular basis in game community thread for years, but it takes a single post in Russia vs. LGBT thread for one to become a full-fledged member. I love GAF. Next target - tag.

Wace

I KNEW nothing was wrong with me - I just needed to find my tank.

IS-1. First combat ever (didn't even test it on the playground). Took long street of Poland (you know one, with church dominating on the east side). 7 frags with only yellowed chassis on my side. Tigers, Panthers, KV-2s... Man, it was AWESOME! I(J)osefStalin-1, I love you!

I KNEW nothing was wrong with me - I just needed to find my tank.

IS-1. First combat ever (didn't even test it on the playground). Took long street of Poland (you know one, with church dominating on the east side). 7 frags with only yellowed chassis on my side. Tigers, Panthers, KV-2s... Man, it was AWESOME! I(J)osefStalin-1, I love you!

Nice, IS-1 is well balanced, but not as scary for the enemy as IS-2 for example, so you are not a priority target and may surprise them.

I got PO-2 on the weekend, holy shit it's slow. And as premiums were 50% off and I had some golden eagles, I also got a American XP-50 (fast, powerful but fragile), Japanese Bw-109 E-3 (can't play this one) and an British Mustang (hopefully will get better win rate there than on American side, where I have it at 9%).

I'm half kidding, but the difference in win rates is quite staggering in Realistic mode. In Russian planes I have several with >75% win rates, and let's say over 10 matches, while in American side over 50% is rare. My most played plane, premium A-26C has 31% win rate. In other countries the rates are not that extreme, but Britain seems to suffer also from having to fight Russians with biased BR values.

Wace

I'm half kidding, but the difference in win rates is quite staggering in Realistic mode. In Russian planes I have several with >75% win rates, and let's say over 10 matches, while in American side over 50% is rare. My most played plane, premium A-26C has 31% win rate. In other countries the rates are not that extreme, but Britain seems to suffer also from having to fight Russians with biased BR values.

Well, that's why the war was won. Half-kidding as well.

Kidding, though. As one of my British friends said, the Russian military vehicles/planes are all about making at as simple, robust and cheap as possible, while not compromising on the effectiveness too much.

In my experience both Japanese and German planes outperform Soviets in maneuverability and power respectfully (and I suspect that Americans are very good at high-speed control), but being average on everything isn't that bad in this case. You don't need to stick to your most powerful tactic (and avoid the weakest one) while flying Yaks and MiGs, just do what you feel is best in the situation and the plane won't mind.

As for bias... If you have any complaint re plane performing above (or below) the manual, you can always report it to the developers. The trick is, however, that all the configuring is done with Sim mode, with no flight assist and in full control mode, so they (in conspiracy theory) still may cheat with other modes. And, may I remind you, that most of the Russian community (except for those favoring US/German tree) consider US planes to be cheaters due to "bias for main paying customer base".

PS: IS-1 is fun exactly till the moment you run into IS-2.

Historically American planes outperformed Soviet when they fought (Korea) and Soviet pilots did well with American lend lease planes during ww2, as far as I understand. But this game should even out the differences in planes with BR adjustments, but now it's not working very well in realistic mode. Maybe because so many American players want to play bombers is also affecting the low win rates, but when the whole team gets only one kill when fighting Soviets or two kills when fighting Germans, then something is wrong.

Wace

Historically American planes outperformed Soviet when they fought (Korea) and Soviet pilots did well with American lend lease planes during ww2, as far as I understand. But this game should even out the differences in planes with BR adjustments, but now it's not working very well in realistic mode. Maybe because so many American player wants to play bombers is also affecting the low win rates, but when the whole team gets only one kill when fighting Soviets or two kills when fighting Germans, then something is wrong.

In soviet-biased resources at a glance I see the following:
  • 1 to 3.4 kill ratio in favor of the Soviets (due to lots of interceptions)
  • 103 confirmed Sabre kills (out of 231 lost in total) vs. ~500 lost MiGs (once again, it wasn't war of duels, MiGs made bombers their priority)
  • Po-2 fragged F-94
Note that here we're talking about the Tier-5, and I'm not sure with winrate of Tier-5... American planes were popular in between Red Army aces, and that's exactly what we're talking about: better planes for people who can fly them. Oh, and American planes were way more comfortable as well. :)

As for BRs - it's all about weird balancing and calculation stuff: with many Russian kids trying to fly for Soviets... they lower average performance of a given plane so that BR gets adjusted downwards. The system is flawed but that's a given for any game that tries to simulate planes accurately and still be fun to play.

In soviet-biased resources at a glance I see the following:
  • 1 to 3.4 kill ratio in favor of the Soviets (due to lots of interceptions)
  • 103 confirmed Sabre kills (out of 231 lost in total) vs. ~500 lost MiGs (once again, it wasn't war of duels, MiGs made bombers their priority)
  • Po-2 fragged F-94
Note that here we're talking about the Tier-5, and I'm not sure with winrate of Tier-5... American planes were popular in between Red Army aces, and that's exactly what we're talking about: better planes for people who can fly them. Oh, and American planes were way more comfortable as well. :)

As for BRs - it's all about weird balancing and calculation stuff: with many Russian kids trying to fly for Soviets... they lower average performance of a given plane so that BR gets adjusted downwards. The system is flawed but that's a given for any game that tries to simulate planes accurately and still be fun to play.

Top tier 5 matches may be a bit different, I don't have top jets yet so I can't comment on that. Tiers 3 and 4 seem unbalanced to me... I think I can try playing on Russian server, but the language barrier is quite bad (even if I should get pretty good ping). Or learn to play German, who seem to do well against everyone.

Wace

More tidbits from BVV_d, will be updated possibly

BVV_d said:
Answering on Panther weak gun
- Panther D is THE BEST tank at 5.7 according to stats, at 6.0 A and G are in the middle;

- 1.53 will enhance destructive capabilites of solid shells;

-
T-111 (aka T-46-5) is not in the plans
removed from answers

- Current half-tracks simulation is, unfortunately, tank-based, so their turns are made through one of the tracks blocking, not as it should. Will be fixed someday.

- Time of free tank repairs in hangar DO RELY on ground team repair skill of the same squad in aviation tree skills (Repair Speed, Repair Rank).

Wace

Tomorrow morning we'll get 1.53!

New content, new rendering, new skills... Let's hope it's all for the best.

Wace

No ps4 version update yet. And can't play with the older version.. nice.

Well, "they're working with Sony". This patch brings trophies, and that may be the reason.

I've played on PC for a bit... The most significant change for me (played AB tanks only) is the significant decrease of zoom of sniper mode. Most of the players complain, but I'm rather happy about it, since it led to more realistic long-distance exchanges: rare one-shots. Also, now you have most of the enemies seen by friends marked on your minimap (crew skills), so more tactical awareness, compared to usual "no red dots" oblivion. Another welcome change: no "invisible" tanks behind the obstacle - you can see even tiniest piece of track if it's sticking out from behind the wall.

Oh, and now if you see someone in 3rd person mode - (s)he doesn't disappear from the sniper mode. :)

Sounds became better, imho.

New interface sucks. There are also people cheering at the end, so turn down the volume of the speakers.

New render... well, I'm ok with it, but people with more artistic sense complain about "plastic" feel of the models.

grmlin

I read some rage in a german forum because they buffed russian planes and tanks even more? Is this correct?
It's not that they were underpowered before, right?

And I'm very interested in the PS4 performance with the new engine. I stopped playing it on PS4 because even my old PC runs it much better than this.

Wace

I read some rage in a german forum because they buffed russian planes and tanks even more? Is this correct?
It's not that they were underpowered before, right?

And I'm very interested in the PS4 performance with the new engine. I stopped playing it on PS4 because even my old PC runs it much better than this.

PS4 version is still not available, so nobody has any idea. Performance lowered a bit for me on my notebook (~40fps -> ~35fps, GTX850M, Cinema settings), lots of people report the same - a little drop.

Germanophiles on Russian forum complained about this part:

Gaijin said:
  • USSR: 100mm ZBM-8 penetration increased by 1%, 122 ZBM-11 penetration increased by 3,5%, 122mm ZBM-7 penetration increased by 1%, 85mm BR-367P penetration decreased by 4%.
  • USA - 105mm М392А2 - penetration increased by 5%, 90mm М332 - penetration decreased by 14%, 90mm М304 penetration decreased by 13,2%, 90mm Т44 penetration decreased by 13%, 76mm М93 penetration decreased by 2%, 76mm М331А2 penetration decreased by 10%, 76mm М319 penetration decreased by 10%.
  • Germany: 105mm DM-13 penetration increased by 5%, 105mm PzGr 40 penetration decreased by 10%, 88mm PzGr 40/43 penetration decreased by 11%, 75mm PzGr 40/42 penetration decreased by 15%.

I haven't noticed any significant differences, though, playing tanks AB.

BTW, if/when they start to introduce real scope zoom level for each tank that should lead to some improvement on German side, shouldn't it?

Wace

6 hour download? Oh well, it should be installed tomorrow morning.

What's your connection, friend? Mine took about a bit less than two hours.

Ok, first PS4 impressions:

- internet radio works. Yeah, I know, but still.
- planes look less colored, depending on lighting and angle - takes time to get used to.
- tracers. tracers! TRACERS! My best impression so far. Awesome visual effect, way better than before.
- hangar camera works! finally!
- looks like planes are visible a bit better against the ground, but it may be render thing.
- haven't noticed any significant improvements or drops on performance (planes AB);
- new bomb mechanism (safe for low-flying) takes time to get used to, but at least you won't explode on your own bombs - now my IL-2 can literally cut the grass on bombing run.

What's your connection, friend? Mine took about a bit less than two .

8 megabits ADSL (we have old phone cables, I should switch to much faster LTE at some point). And I'm streaming stuff at the same time, so my PS4 is not getting all that... but yeah, the improved tracers and better visibility of distant planes sounds great. I spent my GE on premium planes, so no rocket tanks for me, but it will be interesting so fight against them.

eFKac

Need to try myself, hoping they'll eliminate the stutter and improvement framerate overall on tanks, not holding my breath though :-/

First impression on ps4 version. Planes first:
-it looks like game went from 720p to 1080p
-it's easier to see where the tracers go and where you are hitting the enemy
-you can see further away (duh)

Tanks:
- the mid cap in Mozdok now has more cover!
- It's much easier to hit planes with aa vehicles with the increased visibility and better tracers
- tanks look nicer too, the new engine really is a lot better

Wace

-it's easier to see where the tracers go and where you are hitting the enemy

Just did air supremacy mission, there was moment when three heavy bombers and several fighters were shooting at each other in close proximity. Fireworks! Can't wait to get to night mission, should be awesome.

Wace

Forgot to mention one important note for PC players:

If you're playing on 64-bit OS, it's recommended to set "use in-dev version" flag on the launcher (right above "play" button") as it enables beta 64-bit client. There might be a performance boost, depending on your config.

Top Bottom