• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

2pDhema.jpg

I see Dwarves, Elves, Lordaeron and Kul'Tiras. Maybe the blonde woman is Jaina's mother, especially since she's born before the first war perhaps she's even in the film. With Toby Kebbel also playing Antonidas it might be a fun small thing for her to show up as a little girl.

I wonder if the people left from King Llana are from Gilneas. And the people to the right I cannot really place, they're not from Dalaran since those colour schemes are different.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
IsAbxav.jpg

The first critical review is not a very positive one. He felt it was trying to copy Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones (I don't understand how given what we've seen). He also felt the primary audience was "video game freaks."

Given his positive review of Alice in Wonderland, he doesn't have an opinion I would necessarily respect.

What a pathetic review.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Tickets bought. June 1st, my first Dolby Cinema experience. Only fitting it would be with the movie about my first RTS game.

IsAbxav.jpg

The first critical review is not a very positive one. He felt it was trying to copy Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones (I don't understand how given what we've seen). He also felt the primary audience was "video game freaks."

Given his positive review of Alice in Wonderland, he doesn't have an opinion I would necessarily respect.

People who equate Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones lack credibility to begin with.

The comparisons with Warcraft should be helpful in filtering out ignorant reviews.

Sölf

God, only 5 more days and I will see it. Sunday evening in english, was hard enough to find a cinema close by who shows that in english. Then I only have to survive 3 days without "spoilers", if I can even call them that.

Loxley

Sölf;204545160 said:
God, only 5 more days and I will see it. Sunday evening in english, was hard enough to find a cinema close by who shows that in english. Then I only have to survive 3 days without "spoilers", if I can even call them that.

Just bought two tickets for thursday. Hype Level is over 9000.

Can't wait to see this movie on friday. May 27th is the premiere date in Norway.

Lucky, US doesn't get it until the 10th :(

Rafy

Reviews aren't good.

Still hyped.

So far they all have one thing in common. They say that the movie is aimed more at fans of the games and their lore, than the general viewing audience.

At one point they mention how cartoon-ish some shots look and then follow up by saying that the games share a similar art style

EDIT: Also, Variety wrote that Garona is half-Orc, half-human. I thought it was pretty much confirmed she was half-Orc, half-Draenei.

Zackat

So far they all have one thing in common. They say that the movie is aimed more at fans of the games and their lore, than the general viewing audience.

At one point they mention how cartoon-ish some shots look and then follow up by saying that the games share a similar art style

EDIT: Also, Variety wrote that Garona is half-Orc, half-human. I thought it was pretty much confirmed she was half-Orc, half-Draenei.

with that CGI Draenei being called Draenei Mother I just figured that was Garona's mom. But I guess that would be weird.

Kathanan

Link to the review: https://www.moviezine.se/movies/warcraft#reviews
4/5 stars.
The difference between this critic and the American critics is that this person actually goes more in-depth - bringing up both the positives and negatives instead of rudely spewing hyperbole after hyperbole, trying to liken Warcraft to a pile of steaming dogshit.
Anyway... here goes:
"A big part of my school-years were spent in Elwynn Forest, surrounded by Murlocs and Kobolds, so this film's been a long time coming. Duncan Jones, director of the sci-fi gem "Moon", was tasked with the impossible job of adapting Blizzard's beloved and massive world onto the big screen, and in doing so shouldered the expectations of a million fans. Not an easy task by any means - but, against all odds, he does it so well from the first frame and it becomes clear that he's a massive fan of the source material.
Travis Fimmel is Anduin Lothar, a commander of the human capital Stormwind. When rumours of mysterious attacks by massive, green beasts surface, it is up to the bearded swordsman to examine it. What's attacking them? And perhaps more importantly - why?
On the other side of the conflict we get introduced to Durotan, played by Toby Kebbell. Durotan is a perplexed and, in many ways, an indecisive orc chieftain and leader of the Frostwolf clan. When the mighty Gul'dan summons all orc clans of Draenor to invade the human world of Azeroth, Durotan dubiously complies, but soon his doubts begin to take form. What are they fighting for? And for whom?
When Durotan first appeared on screen, I drew an audible inhale. With a close-up of the monster's eyes (the trailers do it no justice, watch it on IMAX), the VFX team immediately sets the tone. Deep down, beneath those massive teeth and scars, it's clear to me that this beast is capable of depth and emotion - and the following scenes are of the same, astonishing quality. This film has without a doubt the most well-made animated creatures to ever grace the big screen, and I am incredibly impressed.
The plot is fairly basic, and there's a lot more to draw from Blizzard's twenty years of Warcraft world-building than this - but for the uninitiated, I'd imagine it could be hard to follow at times. The film is full of names and places and it's not always easy to know who is who and what is what - but I, as a Warcraft fan, smiled whenever I noticed a nod to the game. A few logical inconsistencies creep into the plot - and it does reduce the overall quality of the film.
But alas, Warcraft is a fast-paced film, and it makes me wish they'd extended the film to resolve some of the plot-points and flesh out the story. Sometimes, it feels as though some of the relationships haven't been fully fleshed out - and the film almost suffers from rushing from scene to scene. In potential sequels, I would love more focus on the characters - even if many beautiful moments do exist in Warcraft: The Beginning. The summary, then? Yes, the vultures have idly circulated the most ambitious video game adaptation to date, ready to strike at the first sign of weakness, but "Warcraft" is simply a very good film by fans, for fans, and I leave the theater satisfied and wanting more.
But with more time to flesh out relationships, and an already established world to work with, Duncan Jones could truly make something great in potential sequels. For now, we're treated with a photorealistic adaptation of "Warcraft" with everything a fan wants - hence the score. Lok'tar!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So is someone going to create an OT for the film given the movie's releasing in a couple locations soon?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This thread is like a shiny glowing wire of hope.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I was certainly not expecting rave reviews, but this is looking to be about worst case scenario territory. I'm less disappointed and more like, sad for the folks involved. For the most part you can tell they really cared and wanted to make a great Warcraft film, and it looks like that definitely did not happen.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would, except I don't really know how to.
I would, but my OTs are usually way too #basic with images lifted right from Google.

Loxley

I can toss something together, if folks don't mind the OP being a tad bare-bones at first. I'll add to it over the coming days.

Finaj

I was certainly not expecting rave reviews, but this is looking to be about worst case scenario territory. I'm less disappointed and more like, sad for the folks involved. For the most part you can tell they really cared and wanted to make a great Warcraft film, and it looks like that definitely did not happen.

I feel the film would have been worse if it was made under Rami with the original script.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel the film would have been worse if it was made under Rami with the original script.

Maybe not. It sounds like the script used tried to cram too much in and ended up being a mess. A more simplistic "good guy humans vs bad guy orcs" script might have resulted in a more generic but less convoluted film.

cdyhybrid

Maybe not. It sounds like the script used tried to cram too much in and ended up being a mess. A more simplistic "good guy humans vs bad guy orcs" script might have resulted in a more generic but less convoluted film.
One would wonder what the point of using the Warcraft franchise would be if they just wanted to make a generic fantasy film.

Finaj

It was going to take place between WC3 and WoW timeline-wise. The amount of exposition required to explain the events and world up until that point would have made for a much more confusing film for general audiences.

And as a personal opinion, I don't think making the Orcs exclusively the antagonists would have made for an interesting film.

Anoregon

And as a personal opinion, I don't think making the Orcs exclusively the antagonists would have made for an interesting film.

I agree, but that's not really what I'm arguing. It would have been easier to tell a coherent story. Going the route they did was always going to be more difficult, and had the potential for a much more interesting story, but also the potential danger of the film turning into a mess of characters and conflicts that ends up feeling like a disjointed slog. From some of the reviews it sounds like that's exactly what happened.

cdyhybrid

I agree, but that's not really what I'm arguing. It would have been easier to tell a coherent story. Going the route they did was always going to be more difficult, and had the potential for a much more interesting story, but also the potential danger of the film turning into a mess of characters and conflicts that ends up feeling like a disjointed slog. From some of the reviews it sounds like that's exactly what happened.
Maybe we should wait for the vast majority of reviews to come out, instead of remaking the movie based on a few embargo-breaking clickbait reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom