• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves... :/

clav

reminder said:
Wario fails

wwsm.gif
Tasukete!!! :lol

I have high hopes for this game though. It would be the first Wii game I will purchase.

Enjoyed the first two. Didn't pick up the GC or DS versions since both didn't seem stellar.

Captain N

I should be getting it in the mail here any minute now. I'm pretty pumped to play and I'll be sure to post impressions here as well.

Captain N

donkey show said:
This game rocks. It's all about the driving boss stage. Amazingly, it's more responsive than Excite Truck. XD

I still haven't saved her to this day. ;_;

I just got the game about 30 minutues ago and already beat that level..just quickly hold out your arm and as she's falling you'll catch her.

I can only replay the micro games something like 3 times on different speeds. I was just wondering if when I get into it more I'll be able to play them over and over again and try to beat the high score set by the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
screw it - I'll buy this as yet another minigames collection on the Wii. My last chance after the disappointment of Monkey Ball and Rayman.

I loved the first wario ware, but they got progressively 'meh-er' with twisted then touched.

I'll give this the benefit of the doubt though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The only WarioWare titles I own are Touched! and the one for the GC. I love both of those to death, so I imagine it'll be just as good (or better) then those. The GC version is still the party game of choice in my apartment.

I hope to god no one reads one review and gets all de-hyped about a game. I know I almost fell prey myself, but realized apparently I love all the "shitty" ones.

u_neek

The game is great but I completed the story mode in a few hours and after that there isnt really much to do apart from some mini-games and multiplayer of course.

It as wacky as ever but really, really short :/

Bo130

I love that you can now play the games individually in the tempo you like. Hillarious :lol. It's just sad that I can't play them individually for records this time around :/

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I somewhat agree with Sporks (ugght). The game isn't as complete as the others Wario Ware, and the lack of extras full 8-bit games hurts too much. The game concept is great, it works well and it's fun. It's just that it's over too early, and there's not enought things to do and unlock to keep your interest in the game.

And yes, the game is a Blast to play single or multi, just, that doesn't have enough content to stay at the level of others Wario Wares. For me, the original was the best for the simple reason of CONTENT.

As someone said, launch games FTL.

BTW, SPORKS am right doesn't compute.

tanasten

Great King Bowser said:
I dunno guys, I'm having fun so far, and I haven't even tried it multi.

The game is a blast to play. I laught with it tons of times, and the multi (12 players ftw) with one Wiimote is GOD. It's just, that the game doesn't last enought because there's a lack of content and extras that keep your interest on the game. In this sense, the original Wario Ware is the best yet.

Teasel

tanasten said:
The game is a blast to play. I laught with it tons of times, and the multi (12 players ftw) with one Wiimote is GOD. It's just, that the game doesn't last enought because there's a lack of content and extras that keep your interest on the game. In this sense, the original Wario Ware is the best yet.
bha if you ask me this is a non-problem... because 1) you are getting the game for playing the actual game and not an hacked version of dr.mario and 2) i watched some video of smooth moves extra and some of them look pretty cool and are certainly better than all those wario ware twisted toys

rhino4evr

sure it would have been nice to see more extras, but the bulk of Wario ware is the single player. if anything I would have liked more then 200 minigames for it's console debut. Regardless, if you don't expect it to be something it's not you won't be disappointed. This is Wario wacky goodness through and through.

deepred

I don't agree with the "content" issue.

Wario Touched had more content but most of the unlockables were not that interesting, you would try every "toy" once and that's all. And Touched was far too easy. I was told that there weren't a lot of unlockables in Twisted either, though it's considered as the best game in the series.

Smooth Moves has not a lot of content, but developers chose quality over quantity. The mini-games are very good (tower tennis, shooting game a la Duck Hunt, etc.). And I think this is the funniest game in the series, and maybe the most difficult (it's not that easy to beat a level with only one try).

The French version is hilarious thanks to the style explanation voice over. :lol

Apparently when Intellegent Systems gets onto the Wario Ware games, the game turns out to be...less than exciting.

At leat, i canonly assume the IS guys are behind this one. There was a major difference of sorts when going from Twisted to Touched.

I'm not criticizing them for ruining the franchise, they're fully capable of making a good Wario Ware title. But like this and Mario Kart Super Circuit, SOMETHING was missing...

rhino4evr

Well Twisted actually had the most unlockables. in fact I still haven't unlocked everything. However once the toys and games are unlocked, i rarely actually played with them. Especially the record player and toys. The extra mini-games were definitely a plus. Still the reason Twisted was fun was because of its single-player mode. wario games are supposed to be games you play in small doses. Which is why it works so well on a handheld. A console version is bound to feel limited

jgkspsx

RubxQub said:
The only WarioWare titles I own are Touched! and the one for the GC. I love both of those to death, so I imagine it'll be just as good (or better) then those.
The GC one is a surprisingly lazy port of the (incredibly awesome) GBA original. It's only disappointing to people who already owned the original.

Touched's division of minigames into stylus motion types totally missed the point of the series, and the lack of decent unlockable minigames (the friggin' hang glider was the best of them) combined with that misunderstanding make it the worst in the series.

And, if anyone doesn't have it, please pick up Twisted. It's dirt cheap now and it's by far the best WarioWare to date. The unlockable minigames alone are worth the price.

Ninja Dom

I just bought this today (London, UK).

Gonna bust it open when I get home from work and try the hypnotising butt shaking boss cos that looks like FUN!

That's What She Said said:
Today, at least according to Gamestop's recorded notifier.
i had a missed call from some random number last night that didn't leave a message. i wondered if it was Aeris. i'll call my eb today before i finish work then. be nice to get this today as i was expecting it tomorrow and i'm busier tomorrow night than i am today.

for the record, i don't think the cube wario ware or touched were as good as the original and twisted, but i have enjoyed all the games so far.

Warioware for me isnt about unlockables. Its about replay value. So the complaint that the singleplayer is fun yet short doesnt bother me. Ill probably play it over and over and over just like I did with every other warioware title.

tanasten

Probationsmack said:
Warioware for me isnt about unlockables. Its about replay value. So the complaint that the singleplayer is fun yet short doesnt bother me. Ill probably play it over and over and over just like I did with every other warioware title.

The replay value of the game dies quickly when you can't get the system with you to beat records with friends, so for the single player mode, unlockables are a nice add to get the player going and going.

Just like in the original Wario Ware, where every micro game had a mark to surpass, and when you get clear all the Microgames you earn the mudafacking PYORO II. The player had and incentive to play all the micro games and beat them all. That's why Wario Ware continues to be the best of the series, also because the games we're more inspired and there we're a lot more precise requeriments.

After playing twisted I am completely spoiled in the Wario Ware department. They need to lay off this series for about 5-6 years and come back with something really explosive.

Slacker

I fought through the throng of WoW noobs and picked up a copy at lunch today. I was wavering on whether I'd end up buying it for a while, but Tycho's whole-hearted recommendation at PA yesterday gave me the confidence to pick it up.

This is my first Wario BTW. It sounds like I need to run out and get Twisted?

jgkspsx

That's What She Said said:
This is my first Wario BTW. It sounds like I need to run out and get Twisted?
Yep. It's on clearance for $15 or less all over the place in the US -- it really bombed, you soulless bastards. Also pick up either the original (which I prefer but which isn't as easy to find) or the GameCube version (which has mostly the same microgames) -- neither should cost you more than $20.

PeteJ

The GC one is a surprisingly lazy port of the (incredibly awesome) GBA original. It's only disappointing to people who already owned the original.
The GC version is still the best, simply for the multiplayer. Smooth Moves is OK with four people but the lack of proper games is a real shame. The GC version remains the best party game out there, imo :)
I think the Wii one has the best single player though, other than the lack of unlocks.

Anyone else take the wrist strap off to play? I find it gets in the way of switching forms.
It does get in the way, but I recommend using it...

Bildi

I dunno, I like all Wario Wares including Touched which I don't see as worse than any others. I'm still looking forward to it.

Vard

In (at least) the original and Touched, you could replay the same minigame over and over (your goal was to beat a set amount - and your old high score) and it got faster and harder over time. Is there a mode like that in this one, where you can just do the same minigame over and over?

I can't wait to play it. Multiplayer will be amazing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Vard said:
In (at least) the original and Touched, you could replay the same minigame over and over (your goal was to beat a set amount - and your old high score) and it got faster and harder over time. Is there a mode like that in this one, where you can just do the same minigame over and over?

I can't wait to play it. Multiplayer will be amazing.
Nope :/

AWESOME game so far, only on stage 3.

The narrator's voice when he is explaining the different "forms" is so great... just like Deep Thoughts (some reviewer made that connection, not me). Once the forms are explained, it never happens again. Then at the beginning of each microgame, there's a picture of the form. Some of the impressions around here made it seem like this slowed down the gameplay, but I don't get that at all. It doesn't. You need the pic to know how to hold the remote, and even then it is a scrable to "figure out" what to do.

I also bitched earlier about it not being in widescreen. Well, I'm playing it in widescreen (stretched I guess), and it looks fine to me. This is the only game I've played on Wii so far that feels non-disappointing on my HDTV. Very bright and colorful.

I really really really really really want a Rhythm Tengoku game on Wii!

Lord Phol

I never owned a Wario Ware game *ashamed*,
but i always thought they looked like fun games, and with the release of WW:SM and haveing a Wii at home I was thinking of maybe giving it a shot.

So what i was wondering is that if you take into account that I never played or owned a Wario Ware Game before, do you think I'll enjoy this one?
You guys seem to mostly bash it because it isn't as good as Wario Ware Game A or Wario Ware Game B, but since I haven't played any WW games, that wouldn't bother me.

To buy or not to buy Wario Ware?
And how's the multplayer aspect, will I have a jolly good times with the mateys?

Gav

My god. My dad takes over the Wii all the time. I got this and he was on it straight away... happily unlocking things.

Then he unlocked the can shooting game. Hes played it for about 6 hours, once 3 hours non stop. He got a RIDICULOUS high score last night.

Lord Phol said:
So what i was wondering is that if you take into account that I never played or owned a Wario Ware Game before, do you think I'll enjoy this one?
You guys seem to mostly bash it because it isn't as good as Wario Ware Game A or Wario Ware Game B, but since I haven't played any WW games, that wouldn't bother me.

To buy or not to buy Wario Ware?

Think of it like this:

What GAF calls a "bad" or "disappointing" WarioWare game is only "bad" in comparison to the peaks of the series - a "bad" WarioWare game is still a bloody great game, just not as fantastic as the best the series has to offer.

Lord Phol

Cosmonaut X said:
Think of it like this:

What GAF calls a "bad" or "disappointing" WarioWare game is only "bad" in comparison to the peaks of the series - a "bad" WarioWare game is still a bloody great game, just not as fantastic as the best the series has to offer.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear ^^,
guess I'll pick this up sometime when I got the cash, thanks!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Effin awesome game. Put about 3 hours into it last night. Dunno if it'll be as classic as the original or Twisted, but it's loads better than Touched so far!

Top Bottom