• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves... :/

Paid In Full said:
The use of the Mii's is brilliant. I've never laughed so hard at a game as when I crushed Gandhi in arm wrestling. Take that Mr. Non-violence!
Klaus Kinski.

But I won. whawhawha! *runs*

Gryphter said:
anyone having trouble with the waiter stance? particularly the game where you have to balance a broom on your hand... this was an auto loss for my friend and me when we were playing, and we tried all sorts of things just to get the hand to even move, which it did not. the game just didn't recognize that we were moving. I have a theory that you have to be level with the sensor bar, because we were not. anyone esle experiencing this? or can anyone clarify?

It uses the pointer. Point at the sensor bar.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Is the darts game in Wario better than the darts game in Monkey Ball?

Slacker

levious said:
Is the darts game in Wario better than the darts game in Monkey Ball?
The darts in Monkey Ball is so horrid it almost made me hate all games in general. The version in Wario Ware is pretty decent, although it seems boring compared to the other more fast paced games.

Bebpo

Banned
Glass Joe said:
i had the same problem. i'm really enjoying the game overall (in the 2 hrs i've put into it), but this one seems broken / unresponsive. well, it works once in a great while... maybe it's pointer based and it's easy to not be "pointing" at the tv since the wiimote's being held in such an unusual manner?

EDIT: how close are you to the TV? i moved further away and didn't have a single problem after that.

I think that's where a lot of problems with pointer based games/gameplay on the Wii come from. I play games about 1-4 feet from my TV depending on which set I play on and the pointer just goes out of 'range' all the time with even the slightest of movements.

I think to play pointer based games you need to get like 8-10 feet from the sensor bar.

:Motorbass said:
Klaus Kinski.

But I won. whawhawha! *runs*
Christopher Ecclestone here.

not as funny as Gandhi though but it really did make me laugh.

i do wish the game had some sensor bar calibration like Twilight Princess does though. the waiter stance feels a bit unnatural having to point below my 50" inch. small complaint though. can't wait to try this one multiplayer.

Slacker

Bebpo said:
I think that's where a lot of problems with pointer based games/gameplay on the Wii come from. I play games about 1-4 feet from my TV depending on which set I play on and the pointer just goes out of 'range' all the time with even the slightest of movements.

I think to play pointer based games you need to get like 8-10 feet from the sensor bar.
Wait... 1 foot away from your TV? :wtf:

Unison

Paid In Full said:
The use of the Mii's is brilliant. I've never laughed so hard at a game as when I crushed Gandhi in arm wrestling. Take that Mr. Non-violence!

I crushed chespace. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
That's What She Said said:

I have my Wii in a seperate room from my home theater ever since I've finished Zelda because all the inputs are taken by other systems. It's on a 19" (with only about 1-3 feet of space before a cabinet) crummy SDTV since with Wii "graphics don't matter".

rkenshin

Bebpo said:
I have my Wii in a seperate room from my home theater ever since I've finished Zelda because all the inputs are taken by other systems. It's on a 19" (with only about 1-3 feet of space before a cabinet) crummy SDTV since with Wii "graphics don't matter".

Not much space for a party

Played it a bunch last night while i couldn't WoW to run. (thanks Creative sound drivers!)

I think it's pretty great. The little things where they teach you each pose are pretty funny. Still haven't zoomed through everything, but spent some time with the tennis tower.

Bebpo said:

Well, 8-10 feet isn't really necessary, but playing at anything less than 4 feet - especially getting down to 1 foot! - is guaranteed to lead to ****-ups when using the pointer. Think of a cone spreading out from the bar - the ideal position to make sure your motions are detected will be where the cone is widest, not right up by the bar where it's at its narrowest & it's easy to move the remote sensor out of sight of the LEDs on the bar.

I sit about 6 feet back when I'm playing Zelda, Red Steel, CoD3 or Wii Play and I have no problems whatsoever with pointer functionality. I've been playing WarioWare from the same distance, but standing up & all I've noticed is that I have to be more careful about aiming the remote toward the bar - because I'm holding the remote at the same level as the top of the TV I can't just point toward the TV as I can when I'm sitting.

Sounds like the majority of your problems with the remote come from bad setup & not the remote itself - get yourself a few feet further back from the TV and you should fare far better.

Glass Joe said:
i had the same problem. i'm really enjoying the game overall (in the 2 hrs i've put into it), but this one seems broken / unresponsive. well, it works once in a great while... maybe it's pointer based and it's easy to not be "pointing" at the tv since the wiimote's being held in such an unusual manner?

EDIT: how close are you to the TV? i moved further away and didn't have a single problem after that.

ah, ok, I will try moving back. I am sitting about 6 feet from the TV. looks like others state that it is pointer based, so I will also try pointing at the sensor bar. I'll report back here once I try it

rhino4evr

I had problems with "the waiter" too. I figured out that it was because I was sitting while playing. if you hold the remote up high enough (think about a waiter holding an entree closer to his head) it works much better.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Bebpo said:

1-3 feet gives erratic sensor input... so 8-10 feet must be neccessary? How does that make sense? 5 feet is plenty.

Peru

This game is magical. It's fantastic. It's the best wario ware game by far. Why? Because after 4 WW games I didn't think it possible for the design team to awe me or take me by surprise like they did with the first game. I didn't think they could implement challenges into the microgames which seemed totally fresh after playing probably a thousand of them in the series so far. But they did, and after the first session I sat back in awe. To to that to me after I'm so well "fed" with everything the series has to offer and all the craziness contained, is a pretty hefty feat. After jumping about in multiplayer I was about ready to say it outdid everything on the console. It doesn't offer the content of course. But the pure joy of playing through it the first time is a crystallized example of the greatness of the wario ware series and what it does, it's philosophy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's What She Said said:
A friend of mine does this, actually. He has this little sliding feet on his TV stand (which holds a 42" plasma) and he pulls that thing right up to his face (1 foot away). Never understood it...

rhino4evr

hmm.. I was reading the instruction booklet. It says to stand no farther then 5 foot from the TV, but no closer then 3ft. I'm about 4.5 and i haven't had any real problems as long as I'm standing up.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you play Multiplayer? I've cleared like 1/2 the game on single but I can't find any way to play multi? Do you have to completely clear the game first?

i had 3 friends come over and play some PS3 (my PS3) and some Wii (my friend brought his Wii with him)

since I can't find a Wii, it was the 1st time I saw a Wii plugged into my HDTV and Wario Ware looks crisp on it.. I enjoy it alot and found the mix of 2D and 3D to be well executed.

We had alot of laughs with WWSM,
Smooth Moves is IMO the best Wii game available now.

in the near or distant future when the Wii will be available to purchase in stores in regularity, I will be sure to place into WW: Smooth Moves into my cart

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo said:
How do you play Multiplayer? I've cleared like 1/2 the game on single but I can't find any way to play multi? Do you have to completely clear the game first?

Not completely clear, but yeah, you have to clear the main story.

Memles

sp0rsk said:
Not completely clear, but yeah, you have to clear the main story.

It's true. Mind you, I managed to do this in an evening, but it's still a tad annoying.

Another guy in residence bought this today, and then let me borrow it while he was out for the evening in exchange for Trauma Centre. I then breezed through the story mode and headed into multiplayer.

I'm glad I didn't buy it, in the end. I think it's a whole lot of fun, contains some moments of brilliant game design, but there just isn't enough here. I am hideously disappointed in multiplayer, also. They killed Survival: One miss and you're out? What the hell is that? It kills any chance of casuals getting into the game any further, and even the Lifeline mode that allows everyone to play never gets as hectic and the "winner" is quite random.

Speaking of which, where the frack is my stats? Does Nintendo have something against competition here, if they're seriously not letting us keep our stats of how often we win in multiplayer?

The single player was solid, definitely quiet ingenious (The Dancing is every bit as amazing as YouTube promised), but nothing that got my overly excited. And really, compared to MegaParty Games, there isn't enough depth to multiplayer (Although Bungie Buddies is a lot of fun). You have to have people of comparable skill level for Bomb/Balloon/Survival to work, and that just isn't possible in a party game.

A little underwhelmed overall, but it's definitely something I'll go back to for multiplayer when people are around and Lucas is willing to part with it.

rkenshin

After Multi is unlocked, you need to play through the available ones there to unlock the rest of the multiplayer modes..

Ain't that grand?

Pud

Banned
I rented this today (almost bought it)... glad I rented it. It is definately the most FUN game on the Wii (behind Wii Sports), but I'm not sure if I'd pay $60CDN for it yet ($50US). If it was $30 or $40 I wouldn't hesitate, since this game just screams style and humour! But I"ll have to play it a bit more before considering a purchase. GJ Intelligent Systems, though - the game looks great and plays great just as long as you're not opposed to making a total ass of yourself (dancing game ftw!).

:Motorbass said:
It uses the pointer. Point at the sensor bar.

confirmed. I was level with the sensor bar and had no issues with the Don't Drop it minigame. thanks guys

Are there any other levels to unlock after Dr. Crydor and those 4 elephants?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Wow, this game is beyond amazing. Its hard to imagine having someone play this game and not have fun (well unless they had some form of a handicap or if their wife just died or something).

deepred

I don't have any problem with the waiter stance, but with samurai stance, especially with the micro-game that makes you deal tracts or something to passers-by.

I trained in the temple and I sometimes succeeded, but it doesn't work 9 times on 10. :(

CaVaYeRo

Well, I think it's a great Wario, but not near the first.

It lacks one important "obligatory replay" aspect: the each-microgame record mode. Man, we made record charts with the GBA version!

I reviewed it last week, so I have seen everything... I think it's very good, but not the perfect ww.

(but boing boing is awesome!)

koam

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, I think it's a great Wario, but not near the first.

It lacks one important "obligatory replay" aspect: the each-microgame record mode. Man, we made record charts with the GBA version!

I reviewed it last week, so I have seen everything... I think it's very good, but not the perfect ww.

(but boing boing is awesome!)

So there's no record mode for any of the mini-games? How's the replayability on this game? I want to pick up a game that i will be playing for a while (i'm still playing wii sports and brain age after all this time).

Memles

koam said:
So there's no record mode for any of the mini-games? How's the replayability on this game? I want to pick up a game that i will be playing for a while (i'm still playing wii sports and brain age after all this time).

As far as I could tell, there's no system of records for anything other than the character levels.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
koam said:

There are high scores for the individual characters' sets of games, but none for the individual minigames yourself. Honeslty, unless you get into high score fights with friends, really enjoy the hotseat multiplayer, or happen to adore one or two of the unlockable minigames then this isn't going to last you that long.

CaVaYeRo

Campster said:
There are high scores for the individual characters' sets of games, but none for the individual minigames yourself. Honeslty, unless you get into high score fights with friends, really enjoy the hotseat multiplayer, or happen to adore one or two of the unlockable minigames then this isn't going to last you that long.

That's it. So from my point of view, they've made a big mistake with that. Just imagine replaying some of the minigames included. I think they've done that because it's more physical.

However, replaying 9-volt games never gets old :)

Sorry for the English :p

deepred

IMO the record for each micro-game was a very artificial way to increase replay value. Some of the microgames were so simple and uninteresting in the first Wario Ware, that you had to let yourself die... :\

I remember the microgame in which you have to push away a monster, or another one which was a kind of Gradius-like microgame : the faster the game became, the easier it was to avoid bullets because they didn't have the time to reach you.

ghibli99

deepred said:
IMO the record for each micro-game was a very artificial way to increase replay value. Some of the microgames were so simple and uninteresting in the first Wario Ware, that you had to let yourself die... :\
True for some microgames, but not all. There are some that get genuinely insane and difficult as the speed increases, making the later trials a matter of sheer luck, which gets hilarious when you're playing these against friends.

The only WarioWares I've loved have been the first one and Twisted. I'm lukewarm about this one, but like the OP said, their next one will likely be another real winner and take the series on either the DS or Wii to new heights.

2DMention

Banned
I got it yesterday and I must say I'm quite impressed. I thought the different stances would ruin the fast flow of the game, but they don't hinder it a bit.

Koomaster

Seems Wario is trying to help out anyone looking for a Wii still...

wwboard.jpg

Found this message on my Smooth Moves Bulletin Board tonight. It's either really mean or really funny depending on how you look at it. :lol

mj1108

Koomaster said:
Seems Wario is trying to help out anyone looking for a Wii still...

wwboard.jpg

Found this message on my Smooth Moves Bulletin Board tonight. It's either really mean or really funny depending on how you look at it. :lol

It's fitting since Target, CC and Best Buy are supposed to have Wii's for Sunday's ad.

Downhome

I picked this up yesterday at a GameStop. I walked in the store, and the three guys working there all said hello. Without really thinking I simply said "excuse me, do you guys have Smooth Moves?" They all just stared at me for a few seconds, and then one of the three said "oh, the Wario Ware game, yes we have that" and another guy started hitting himself in the head saying that he's sorry for being so stupid.

They thought that I just walked in the store and wanted to know if they had any smooth moves, dancing moves and the such.

I felt like a freak.

Vard

I came across the answer, even though I don't have the game yet. :(

Zoom in and it's at the bottom of the town.

Koomaster

Vard said:
I came across the answer, even though I don't have the game yet. :(

Zoom in and it's at the bottom of the town.
Yeah, I sorta overlooked it too since Wario only mentions it once, and it's not visible unless you zoom in on the mapscreen. When I finally got around to checking there were tons of messages on it. Weird.

Koomaster said:
Yeah, I sorta overlooked it too since Wario only mentions it once, and it's not visible unless you zoom in on the mapscreen. When I finally got around to checking there were tons of messages on it. Weird.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll go check it out.

They should just have it on the Wii Message Board though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I enjoyed it, although I agree that the ride feels like it ends too quickly.

For many of the games though, I had to be a bit closer to the sensor bar than usual (Wii Sports, Red Steel)

I'm having a great time with this. Beating the high scores is fun and multiplayer is a blast. Since this is my first wario ware (never had a GB, didn't buy Touched bc of lack of multiplayer) my impressions may not mean much but some of the games are just so hillarious you need to play them
picking up the phone is awesome
. Give this game a rent at least or you are seriously missing out.
As for problems with stances, a lot of them use the sensor so if you swing your arm in the samurai stance maybe try to aim at the screen/sensor bar. I never had problems with any stance that way.

Top Bottom