• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves... :/

Mejilan said:
Effin awesome game. Put about 3 hours into it last night. Dunno if it'll be as classic as the original or Twisted, but it's loads better than Touched so far!

That's making me feel better.

I saw this at the store, and I weighed the pros and the cons, and when I went to pick up that game I said, "Frede... just do it, Frede." And I GOT it! And it's GREAT!!!

Jammy

Banned
I just picked up the game today and as I was doing so, saw somebody else at Best Buy pick up the game and take it to the register right after me.

But alas, I don't have my Wii. I lent it to a friend for a couple of nights. Now both he and our friend want one. That's the power of the system, I guess. We just put so many hours into Wii Sports and Ice Hockey that they were hooked, but I'm sure this game would have sold them even further on the system.

I'll do this on a point by point basis, just so my feelings are clear

MY ONLY REAL COMPLAINT: UNLOCKING MULTIPLAYER

Firstly, its annoying that it makes you play through nearly the entire single player before unlocking multiplayer. I wanted to get into MP right away. However, it did help me learn the many ways you can hold the remote... and I don't have to subject my friends to the amusing pervert voice that teaches you.

MULTIPLAYER > SINGLE PLAYER

The game is a hell of a lot of fun in multiplayer, less so in single player. Although- 9 volts games are really great this time, as are Orbulon's and Dr Crygor's. They're the ones I've been revisiting most.

STANCES

Minigames are played the way they usually are in Wario Ware games, only this time they come with appropriate stances. For example, you hold the remote in front of your nose for "Elephant", on top of your head for "Mohawk", like a pencil for "sketch artist", in the palm of your hand for "waiter". For "Discard" you place the remote down on a surface and don't touch it again until you're meant to.

Some of these, you could potentially cheat on. You could hold the remote in almost any way you find comfortable. But its much more fun to abide by them, both for you and anyone watching. Its FUN to make an ass out of yourself. I'm not kidding. When you're playing multiplayer, the people who aren't boring will insist you do it properly!!

UNLOCKABLE TOYS/GAMES

One thing that takes a little bit of the sting out of the annoyingly locked-multiplayer situation is the single player toy/games that you can unlock.

They can easily be used as multiplayer games of sorts -- I've been playing them with friends and family, passing the remote around. There's not as many as there are in Wario Ware Touched! but I'd ask you to ask yourself how many of those were actually good!!

Two of my faves:

Tower Tennis = Breakout inspired awesomeness
Block Star = Balance-falling-blocks-in-the-palm-of-your-hand awesomeness

MULTIPLAYER

The multiplayer is familiar and easy to grasp. The balloon pumping mode is back from the Gamecube game, except now you can play it with one remote. Whereas you all had a controller on the gamecube, and had to mash the A button between turns -- the other players can now pump automatically until you pass the remote on. When you get passed the remote, you get the option to pump like crazy yourself just before your minigames start. Whoever the balloon pops on? Loses and gets skitted. Everyone else wins.

There's a bomb mode, where your Mii's are throwing a stick of dynamite to each other. You keep hold of the dynamite until you beat a game. Whoever hasn't got the dynamite challenges the other(s) to do games of specific stances. For example, you can challenge someone to do a "big cheese" stance minigame, where they have to stand there, controller at their side, chest puffed out. If they complete it, you can challenge them to a LVL2 "big cheese" stance minigame later on. If they do that, LVL3 and so on. Or you can try and make them lose at another stance. Whoever possesses the dynamite when it blows up loses.

There's a mode where you do progressively faster minigames to compete for points. At the end of the game, all your Miis are tied up on ropes that are partially concealed by a horizontal pipe. That pipe hides which Miis the ropes are actually connected to. Its a bit of a last minute roullette. You take turns in cutting the ropes, and either end up killing each other off or killing yourself. Last man hanging wins.

My favourite though is the elimination style mode -- it shows your Mii's as Kid Icarus style angels flying through the air. Lose a minigame, and your Mii plummets out of the sky. Last Mii flying wins. Oh and:

Darts = Awesome
Bungee Buddies = Hilarious Multiplayer Awesomeness

PERSONAL VERDICT:

Need another fun multiplayer to give your friends and family? Its not as accessible as Wii Sports. Some people may even prefer other minigame collections in the offing (Monkey Ball, or Rayman for example). That's only because the speedier, weirder games can be quite demanding... but its probably appealing enough for most people to try. Even if they're no good at it, they'll probably have a good laugh playing it with you.

Jammy said:
But alas, I don't have my Wii. I lent it to a friend for a couple of nights. Now both he and our friend want one. That's the power of the system, I guess. We just put so many hours into Wii Sports and Ice Hockey that they were hooked, but I'm sure this game would have sold them even further on the system.

Don't give up pal. You'll get your Wii back some day, and then you can play Wario until your fingers bleed!

No6

Cosmonaut X said:
Think of it like this:

What GAF calls a "bad" or "disappointing" WarioWare game is only "bad" in comparison to the peaks of the series - a "bad" WarioWare game is still a bloody great game, just not as fantastic as the best the series has to offer.
Except it's also a $50 game, which makes the pill a lot harder to swallow, especially if you aren't that interested in multi. The only WW game I'd consider to be worth $50 would be Twisted (which I bought for $20). Touched was, frankly, only good in comparison to the rest of the DS' lineup at the time, and overpriced at $30; I'd actually go as far to call Touched a mediocre game in general.

WWSM is a $20 game being sold to content-starved people for $50.

Uncle Dukey said:
Is there anyway to play multiplayer with multiple remotes or are you forced to only use one?

I've only had it a day so I haven't really checked. It was just sort of convenient that you could use one really.

I think the reason this thread has been rather dead is due to the lack of dancing cats.
Dancing cats with some minigame distractions

I also picked up this game and while it's the first actual WW game I own, I played the GC and GBA one quite a bit. I would still be playing it now but my batteries went dead :(. It's pretty amazing how well they adapted the poses to the actions on-screen and most of it is very natural. For example the running microgame feels much better than if you were to simply mash A. I was also amazed by the cutscenes, very sharp and vibrant.

variance

i picked up this game today and it's excellent. i just unlocked multiplayer, so i haven't tried it yet.

my mom and little sister walked into my room when i was playing the tiny wario boss level... well, that was fun. lol.

Jammy

Banned
Oh geez... What's with the :/ in the thread title? I just had spent a good hour and a half on this game after my friend dropped off my Wii. The :/ doesn't seem deserved.

The dancing boss-stage (see the previous GAF thread) is brilliant and is one of the many instances that you'll make a huge ass out of yourself. I yelled to my third roommate to come over and watch me play. "Every time I come into this room, I see you making even more of a fool of yourself."

Another roommate (who has never played/seen the craziness of Wario Ware's nose-picking antics and such) was laughing on and off the whole time I was playing the single player, trying to unlock the multi-player.

And after playing the crocodile multi-player mode for a while, me and the last roommate played the co-op game where you each have to hold either the Remote or Nunchuck at your side and have to jump over pits, sand traps, and grab cake to soar over parts of the level.

Striking the second pose at the end of that co-op game was one of the most HILARIOUS things we've ever done in a game, and we were rolling around laughing our asses off after it dawned on us on the poses we just completed.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves has already given some classic gaming AND bonding moments, and the fruity game (the cover is VERY pink) has just been on for less than two hours! This game will be an even better drinking game, and its something a lot of girls and casual gamers can pick up with ease and have fun with.

I give Wario Ware: Smooth Moves for Nintendo Wii a :lol /10.

rhino4evr

most of the negativity in this thread is nonsense. If you like warioware games, you'll love this. The wife and I played for about an hour switching back and forth and had a blast. It's exactly what I expected, off-the-wall humor and great gameplay. I think some people just expect too much sometimes. I'd say it's brilliant.

Unison

This game is sheer genius. I adore everything about it from the Flash-animation inspired cinemas to the wacky, ever-changing stances. It is clearly a quality entry in the series, regardless of whatever long-term appeal it has.

I've had minor complaints (some small problems with controls in Waiter stance -- probably due to my specific TV / Sensor bar setup & some minigames that seem too easy at first brush, though I know they get harder as the game speeds up), but this is seriously fun stuff.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS! I just got done playing for TWO HOURS with my friend Tiu. Often times Tiu will just sit on the couch while I play games because he doesn't really understand most of them (he is Chinese). But tonight I brought home Wario and said, "Tiu! I have got a treat for us tonight!" And Tiu likes treats, because back in China his family was really poor, and the biggest treat they could afford was a large piece of ham on the New Year. Sometimes in America we take things for granted, but ever since I met Tiu I never do that anymore. I mean, just think about a ham being your treat for an entire year. Tiu and his family really did have a good time on New Years. Sadly, that's all ended now for Tiu, but he's better off now, I do think. Maybe some day I will tell you guys the story behind all this, but for now let's just remember to cherish what we all have.

[QUOTE="Weird" Frede]I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS! I just got done playing for TWO HOURS with my friend Tiu. Often times Tiu will just sit on the couch while I play games because he doesn't really understand most of them (he is Chinese). But tonight I brought home Wario and said, "Tiu! I have got a treat for us tonight!" And Tiu likes treats, because back in China his family was really poor, and the biggest treat they could afford was a large piece of ham on the New Year. Sometimes in America we take things for granted, but ever since I met Tiu I never do that anymore. I mean, just think about a ham being your treat for an entire year. Tiu and his family really did have a good time on New Years. Sadly, that's all ended now for Tiu, but he's better off now, I do think. Maybe some day I will tell you guys the story behind all this, but for now let's just remember to cherish what we all have.[/QUOTE]

!!!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
[QUOTE="Weird" Frede]I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS! I just got done playing for TWO HOURS with my friend Tiu. Often times Tiu will just sit on the couch while I play games because he doesn't really understand most of them (he is Chinese). But tonight I brought home Wario and said, "Tiu! I have got a treat for us tonight!" And Tiu likes treats, because back in China his family was really poor, and the biggest treat they could afford was a large piece of ham on the New Year. Sometimes in America we take things for granted, but ever since I met Tiu I never do that anymore. I mean, just think about a ham being your treat for an entire year. Tiu and his family really did have a good time on New Years. Sadly, that's all ended now for Tiu, but he's better off now, I do think. Maybe some day I will tell you guys the story behind all this, but for now let's just remember to cherish what we all have.[/QUOTE]

what....the.....****!!!!!

leehom

you are indeed weird....

Bebpo

Banned
Picked it up today as Warioware and Twisted were some of my favorite games in the last few years, but after reading all the impressions I think I'm going to wait until the weekend when friends are around to stick it in. Sounds like Multiplayer is where it's at.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bebpo said:
Picked it up today as Warioware and Twisted were some of my favorite games in the last few years, but after reading all the impressions I think I'm going to wait until the weekend when friends are around to stick it. Sounds like Multiplayer is where it's at.

Practice now and enjoy pwning your friends later?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo said:
Picked it up today as Warioware and Twisted were some of my favorite games in the last few years, but after reading all the impressions I think I'm going to wait until the weekend when friends are around to stick it. Sounds like Multiplayer is where it's at.

Play it before they come over so you can unlock the multiplayer.

Bebpo said:
Picked it up today as Warioware and Twisted were some of my favorite games in the last few years, but after reading all the impressions I think I'm going to wait until the weekend when friends are around to stick it in. Sounds like Multiplayer is where it's at.

Make sure to unlock multiplayer first!

EDIT: Damn beaten again. I'm going to stop replying for the night, I'm beaten every time.

NotWii

Banned
:lol
I love your stories!!

Bebpo

Banned
Nice. Yeah this is soooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Touched (which was very average from the get-go and never improved). From reading this thread I was worried at that the stance seconds added between games would take away from the frantic speed, but I don't feel it does in the slightest. I was also worried there wouldn't be a seperate area to practice specific games since people were talking about not being able to do a single game over and over for high scores (which is a little bummer that it's not there), but as long as I can still practice the games and go for high scores in the sections it's all good.

I'd been looking forward to Warioware as after Touched! or even Twisted I realized that you can tell the potential of the input system of a game system by a Warioware game since the developers think of all sorts of crazy things you can do with specific inputs and Warioware has let me know that the Wiimote has some great potential if used right in games.

The game seems like a lot of fun, and I can imagine how it only gets better with multiplayer. This is the first Wii-exclusive game I've actually had fun playing and I'm glad I'll can finally join the rest of GAF in having fun with the Wii. :)

The only issue I have is with 3-dimensional pointer games. I had problems with this in Monkey Ball mini-games (whack a mole) and I have problems here. For instance in the game "Trap" in the first set of games it's REALLY REALLY HARD for me to make the hole move towards the bottom of the screen. I know you have to pull inwards, away from the tv, but whenever I do it the sensor bar loses track of the Wiimote (the hole flashes as it does when there is no connectivity) and the hole just sits there and I lose. Moving left and right is easy but the up/down movement is ridiculously hard. I tried it in practice mode over and over again and I just couldn't get it work 100% of the time. Might be my TV setup, but if so that's just annoying since all my other systems work with my room/tv. :(

Firestorm

We have to unlock multiplayer? Dammit. How long will that take? It's not like Rayman where I have to finish the entire game to get all the minigames right?

Has anyone seen the staff credits yet?

I have to say, it was a brilliant idea to show Miis of everyone who worked on the game.

Nick

Why is it that all the Wario Ware's that SHOULD be awsome (the DS & Wii version) are not that impressive? They're done in like a half hour, and you never want to touch them again.

Oh. Because they come out at launch and they're terribly rushed Thanks Nintendo.

rkenshin

Nick said:
Why is it that all the Wario Ware's that SHOULD be awsome (the DS & Wii version) are not that impressive? They're done in like a half hour, and you never want to touch them again.

Oh. Because they come out at launch and they're terribly rushed Thanks Nintendo.

I got it for a party game, and for that endless stage where they don't tell you which form to use

Firestorm said:
We have to unlock multiplayer? Dammit. How long will that take? It's not like Rayman where I have to finish the entire game to get all the minigames right?

You have to play all of the main characters' games. After that IIRC, you unlock Orbulon (which uses the nunchuck as a second motion controller) and the Elephant buildings, which are just hard challenges.

You can do it in a few hours, but as you're playing microgames you may be unfamiliar with, mileage may vary.

Multiplayer being lockes isn't that bad, and it's my only real complaint. It's worth it anyway.

I would like to take a moment to re-iterate how funny Bungee Buddies is. One person holds the nunchuck, one person holds the remote. The game is from a top-down perspective, your characters are running on a vertical path, tethered together much like you are in real life. You're meant to hold your controller fixed at your side and jump to avoid obstacles. So you end up looking like a pair of pillocks, jumping in unison and alternately, getting progressively faster. My mum and dad loved this!

It's especially dumb to have to unlock Multiplayer because you have an advantage over the other players...

Ah well. I am hoping for another Rythm game to do it all right. So many possibilities about what you can do with music and the wiimote.

PS: if you want to spoil yourself about the last unlockable, look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJoEiiEZQU

Derps

Banned
Based on the impressions I guess I'll wait for a huge price drop

I don't feel like spending 50 bucks for a 40 minute Flash game, but I do want to play it eventually

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love it. Though I was kinda worried the first hour, Smooth Moves gets better and better the more you play. Wario Ware Inc. and Twisted can be proud of this new iteration.

PS: don't know about other languages but french voice is totally awesome.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Derps said:
Based on the impressions I guess I'll wait for a huge price drop

I don't feel like spending 50 bucks for a 40 minute Flash game, but I do want to play it eventually
I think you can unlock something like 60 games in 40 minutes in their easy mode. Out of 200 games that you could play in normal and hard modes, the latter being of course the way the game is meant to be played. So I think you're quite missing the concept of this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
krypt0nian said:
I read this thread. =(

I'm sure I'll still end up with it but my hype is dead.

best time to buy a game where you like the series is when the hype has been killed. anything is an improvement now!

anyone having trouble with the waiter stance? particularly the game where you have to balance a broom on your hand... this was an auto loss for my friend and me when we were playing, and we tried all sorts of things just to get the hand to even move, which it did not. the game just didn't recognize that we were moving. I have a theory that you have to be level with the sensor bar, because we were not. anyone esle experiencing this? or can anyone clarify?

The use of the Mii's is brilliant. I've never laughed so hard at a game as when I crushed Gandhi in arm wrestling. Take that Mr. Non-violence!

Slacker

Paid In Full said:
The use of the Mii's is brilliant. I've never laughed so hard at a game as when I crushed Gandhi in arm wrestling. Take that Mr. Non-violence!
Lawl. I just pwned Donovan McNabb. :lol

Glass Joe

Gryphter said:
anyone having trouble with the waiter stance? particularly the game where you have to balance a broom on your hand... this was an auto loss for my friend and me when we were playing, and we tried all sorts of things just to get the hand to even move, which it did not. the game just didn't recognize that we were moving. I have a theory that you have to be level with the sensor bar, because we were not. anyone esle experiencing this? or can anyone clarify?

i had the same problem. i'm really enjoying the game overall (in the 2 hrs i've put into it), but this one seems broken / unresponsive. well, it works once in a great while... maybe it's pointer based and it's easy to not be "pointing" at the tv since the wiimote's being held in such an unusual manner?

EDIT: how close are you to the TV? i moved further away and didn't have a single problem after that.

Top Bottom