• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. reportedly wants Radcliffe for Harry Potter & Cursed Child film trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojgat

giphy.gif

Isn't he set for life?

It's written by Rowling lol

She was involved in the development of the story itself and signed off on it all, but no, the play was not written by her. Jack Thorne wrote it.

That said, the term "fan-fiction" has been frequently used as a knock against the story, not a literal descriptor.

That'll be the thing that stops them ever getting Radcliffe back, too. That's like 4~ more years of his life lost to the Potter money train.

If they were just going to do one, then I reckon he'd say yes. But a trilogy? He's going to laugh in their face.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
God why

Not one, but three freaking movies out of that piece of shit fancrap play?

This is going to make The Hobbit look like Citizen Kane.

Sephzilla

That'll be the thing that stops them ever getting Radcliffe back, too. That's like 4~ more years of his life lost to the Potter money train.

If they were just going to do one, then I reckon he'd say yes. But a trilogy? He's going to laugh in their face.
Yep. I think they could get him for one movie, maybe two. Three is no way.

They got Ian Holm and Elijah Wood back to literally just do dumb shit in a Hobbit hole so I could see it happening, MAYBE if they kill him in the 2nd movie or something after the franchise is started

Pilgrimzero

I can't even finish the book since Harry grew up to be a giant asshole.

Can't imagine a trilogy of 3 hour films with Harry and son being awful through out.

Cardon

Really can't imagine he'll do this unless they drop a tremendous amount of money in front of him or allow him carte blanche to do whatever films he wants as part of some production deal.

"Lets turn this shitty story into 3 shitty films!"

"Oh, and make Ron a rapist"

Everyone says that about "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." "Harry's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Harry's cool." He gets to go to a magic school and be trained by wizards. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in Azkaban. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

-griffy-

Banned
Let me put it this way, if they did this, I'd hope they wait and did it with all the original cast reprising their roles at the proper age. But they'd obviously have to rework the story a bit to work as a film (and god dammit don't force a trilogy out of it). I feel like much of the strength of Cursed Child as it currently exists is simply how the hell they pull that shit off in a play, because reading the script all I could think is "This would probably be crazy live on stage."

wrowa

Trilogy, really? That's a recipe for disaster.

Also, I didn't know I wanted a Harry Potter TV show, but now I want it.

Toparaman

Banned
You sure? The Hobbit made a shit load of money. They did their jobs well.

Execs should actually care about the quality of their company's output, not just money. I realize this is an idealistic notion, but that doesn't make it a wrong one. The Hobbit films were a disgrace to one of the greatest fantasy novels ever written. Fat profits don't change that.

Gorillaz

didnt he have drinking problem after the 5th movie? from the stress and everything about it or something?

let it go

I think they would have to rework some things for CC to work as a movie or two, but I don't know how they could stretch it into three.

Though, if they straight up go the route of the original 7 and have a film for each year of Albus going to school, they could realistically squeeze out three I suppose. Change up the story a bit, add in a few things, and they could be golden. Lots of stuff got skipped over at the beginning of CC when breezing over his first few years at school. Could be room to maneuver.

JSevere

they should just focus on making more original movies set in the world, they'd all be much more interesting

no one wants to see a trilogy of middle aged Harry doing taxes and shit

well actually now that I think about it...

Blank!

Could've done a lot better considering how well LotR performed. And every time they put out another shit movie it poisons their brand.

I don't think they were planning on recently any more LotR branded movies after the Hobbit... I could be wrong.

I'd be more in if they did it like the Inbetweeners. That would be a great show.

Sure, either/or. I just want a group of kids who don't give a SINGLE FUCK about what Harry's up to and are just trying to stay out of the way of his and Dumbledore's dumb BS and pass their NEWTs

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Given that the play is so long it's actually 2 plays, I'd be ok with this being 2 movies, and I'm sort of optimistic about it only being 3 (versus 4 or something). That said, if it was 2 movies it'd be even more of a slam dunk.

I'd imagine they'd try to just shoot it all at once in one epic shoot so Radcliffe and Co can spend 7-8 months filming, and then only do press for 3 months over the following three years in one month intervals.

Interesting the play folks are going to let it happen so soon, will probably cut the play's legs off at the knees if you can see a cinema version of

Cheerilee

I'm sure he can be persuaded.

U0bfg3.gif

IIRC, Radcliffe's most recent statement on returning to the role that made him famous is (heavily paraphrased)...

"Do you know how fucking hard I've worked on trying to get people to see me as Daniel Radcliffe? Harry is great and all and I love him and I get why people want me to be him, but he's overwhelming. I'm afraid that if I put on that glasses and scar one more time, even just for a kid's birthday party, I'm going to flush a decade of hard work down the drain, I'm going to lose my identity as a human being, and I'm never going to be able to get it back again.

There isn't enough money in the world to make me change my mind because I've got more money than I need. The only thing I could be bought with is the opposite of what you're selling.

Let somebody else play Harry. Anyone would love to play Harry, and more power to them. The more different people there are playing Harry, the less pressure there is on me to become Harry, and the more likely it is that I can feel comfortable coming back to Harry."

IIRC, Radcliffe's most recent statement on returning to the role that made him famous is (heavily paraphrased)...

"Do you know how fucking hard I've worked on trying to get people to see me as Daniel Radcliffe? Harry is great and all and I love him and I get why people want me to be him, but he's overwhelming. I'm afraid that if I put on that glasses and scar one more time, even just for a kid's birthday party, I'm going to flush a decade of hard work down the drain, I'm going to lose my identity as a human being, and I'm never going to be able to get it back again.

There isn't enough money in the world to make me change my mind because I've got more money than I need. The only thing I could be bought with is the opposite of what you're selling.

Let somebody else play Harry. Anyone would love to play Harry, and more power to them. The more different people there are playing Harry, the less pressure there is on me to become Harry, and the more likely it is that I can feel comfortable coming back to Harry."

And then Warner waves that Tony Stark money in his face and he caves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom