• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. reportedly wants Radcliffe for Harry Potter & Cursed Child film trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn it.

I was sincerely hoping WB would take the bait, and retcon Cursed Child out of film existence. For absolutely obvious reasons, this should never be put to film. The fact it is absolute crap only being one of them.

Recasting Snape would lead to a fan riot.

Though, stretching it over a trilogy may help even out the blatantly shit pacing.

If WB were to actually make Radcliffe an offer, it wouldn't just be Tony Stark money. It'd probably be Tony Stark money plus setting up your own production studio to fund those little movies you like to do plus "Hey, you want to direct in the future? We can set that up for you too." Even with all that, though, I think he turns it down if they try to get this out anytime before, say, 2023 or so (that'll give him 12 years since the last movie).

Cheerilee

Edit: Is Fantastic B(r)easts supposed to be a trilogy or is it just a spinoff trilogy with B(r)easts just being one of the three films? A one-off, if you will.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is the name of an animal reference book that Newt Scamander eventually writes, which was briefly mentioned in passing as part of someone's homework during the Harry Potter story.

The "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" movies are a series of movies focusing on the life of the author of that book. The movies could be basically anything (it doesn't have to be another monster outbreak in New York), so long as movie-worthy stuff keeps happening to this guy. His story hasn't been set in stone.

I think they said that WB has signed on to do three movies, for now, but depending on how people respond to the movies, that could be extended indefinitely. There could potentially be more Newt Scamander movies than there are Harry Potter movies, if people want such a thing. Or maybe it'll stop after three. Or if the first one really bombs (like The Last Airbender kind of bomb, which you could safely guarantee won't happen), then maybe they'll cancel the other two and there will only ever be one.

Blader

I doubt it would actually be 2020. Fantastic Beasts 3 is tentatively releasing that year, and WB isn't going to have two potterverse films out in the same year.

Yeah, I was going to say, 2020 seems a bit early. I'd assume they'd let Fantastic Beasts sit for a few years before doing a Cursed Child movie(s).

Maxinas

God damn it.

I was sincerely hoping WB would take the bait, and retcon Cursed Child out of film existence. For absolutely obvious reasons, this should never be put to film. The fact it is absolute crap only being one of them.

Recasting Snape would lead to a fan riot.

Though, stretching it over a trilogy may help even out the blatantly shit pacing.

This, i'm surprised by the reactions here compared to r/movies, the book is absolute dogshit. Harry Potter finished with Deathly Hallows.

KonradLaw

Hope this happens. I always found the end of his story to be tragic. A hero who peaked as a teenager, having to spend the rest of his life doing non-remarkable things? That must have been nightmare.

Jigorath

Banned
Well, maybe they can find a writer to fix Rowling's nonsense. Though they'll probably just get Rowling to write the screenplay.

xrnzaaas

A trilogy, lol. I don't see him doing this unless they give him at least 50 million + royalties for each movie. ;)

Cuburt

So is this a sequel to Swiss Army Man or was Radcliffe getting in character for this franchise by playing a farting corpse?

Stage On

Screw them for taking what is essentially one book and trying to turn it into a Trilogy! That's just grose to the tenth degree.

hamchan

Nah fuck this. Just keep it on the stage where at least the impressive effects can make up for the lackluster story. Taking this story and putting it in a film where CG is dime a dozen means we just have a bad Harry Potter story on film with not much else. This is before even stretching this shit out for 3 movies.

Plus Rowling is already writing a whole other trilogy movie set in the universe. I'm a huge HP fan but even I have to say to WB, calm the fuck down yo.

Jonm1010

Banned
After Beasts fails to recapture the magic thanks to a whole new trilogy headed by Mr. Tarzan and his mundane direction, WB probably is going to desperately want something much more promising then the Cursed Child to reignite the gravy train...not that Fantastic Beasts will bomb but I don't think it will be a continually building smash hit.

Handing two cinematic universes to inferior directors is gonna shell shock them
IMO.

DeathyBoy

Banned
After Beasts fails to recapture the magic thanks to a whole new trilogy headed by Mr. Tarzan and his mundane direction, WB probably is going to desperately want something much more promising then the Cursed Child to reignite the gravy train...not that Fantastic Beasts will bomb but I don't think it will be a continually building smash hit.

IMO.

Are we taking quality films or movies that make money?

Because WB aren't making the money they should, but are still making bank

KonradLaw

IMO.

I'm actually shocked how well Tarzan did. Sure, it wasn't a huge hit, but I was absolutely sure it would end up the biggest flop of the year. But it made twice it's budget.

KonradLaw

It's short. I read it in 2-3 hours iirc

I hope that by "Cursed Child trilogy" they just meant trilogy of movies set in that time. With adult Harry. There's no way they can stretch that little crap into three damn movies. At least with Hobbit they had some Tolkien scraps to dig through.

Jonm1010

Banned
Are we taking quality films or movies that make money?

Because WB aren't making the money they should, but are still making bank
They'll make money, just like with DC films. I just doubt it will be up to expectations.

I just doubt Yates can sustain and build a brand new property from start to finish.

Though quality wise I'm even more pessimistic. Then again I had a lot of issues with the Yates Potter films so I'm a bit biased coming into it.

duckroll

I think if they go forward with this he'll do it. The main reason is obvious - Harry Potter isn't the main character, so him returning for a supporting role as a beloved character just for consistency for fans doesn't seem like a tough decision to make. The big question will be who they cast as the new young leads. They'll have a huge burden because they'll be compared to the original cast of Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Gobias

Banned
I don't really want this. Sure if JK decides that Cursed Child was garbage and decides she wants to throw it out the window and do her own thing that would be fine, but she would still have to write with the epilogue in mind which by far was the worst part of the movies for me.

Also, I don't mind Yates. HBP and Deathly Hallows were great.

Is everyone here's negative impressions based on the rumour thread? Because everyone I know that's reviewed or seen the actual play has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Plasma

Banned
Is everyone here's negative impressions based on the rumour thread? Because everyone I know that's reviewed or seen the actual play has had nothing but good things to say about it.
The script was released, it wasn't good. I'm sure as a play it's a great spectacle but the actual story was just terrible and full of retcons.

The script was released, it wasn't good. I'm sure as a play it's a great spectacle but the actual story was just terrible and full of retcons.

Well that's a pretty big caveat. I mean, if the play's good then the script is good, it's just not meant to be read as a book (like basically all plays, and that's a good part of the reason why so many people find Shakespeare so boring when they're at school). It's there to service the theatre production.

wouldn't it be a wise move to not make these movies anytime soon? Daniel Radcliffe won't be middle aged for twenty years (and ole' babyface may not look it for thirty), they can jump into it fully by then, but doing it now so soon after their multiple Fantastic Beasts films will dilute their appeal.

Its a guaranteed hit, but not one they have to make ASAP. Would Star Wars: The Force Awakens have been such a huge success had it not come out a decade after the last Star Wars movie? It for sure would have been huge whenever they choose to make it, but giving it ample time between installments made it a much bigger event overall (and yes, also getting it away from Lucas).

The successful and time delayed Hobbit films can attest to this, they made buckets of money, despite not actually pleasing the fans they kept waiting so long for all that much.

I think the much smarter move is to wait to make the film, we'll never miss the world of Harry Potter if it never goes away.

Why a trilogy? You idiots did this with the Hobbit, just stop. Please stop.

WB gives the impression of a man on fire desperately looking for ANY liquid to put himself out. Even if that liquid might be gasoline labeled "COLD WATER"

Isn't he set for life?

I imagine so. He's been doing a lot of smaller films which obviously aren't paying anywhere near as much as Potter, but I expect at least some of that is deliberate as he tries to create some distance between himself and the role.

Warner Bros trying to get back on that Harry Potter money train now that the DCCU is a dumpster fire

I expect a lot of it is that now the Middle-earth stuff is done with they want another ongoing fantasy franchise. They'll string any Potter content they can get out into as many movies as they can.

And then Warner waves that Tony Stark money in his face and he caves
But he doesn't need the money so I'd be surprised if he takes it. He's made some interesting choices for the roles he's done after HP ended and I imagine that's what he wants to focus on. He doesn't want to be forever remembered solely as Harry and actually seems to like acting.

milanbaros

Member?
I could see 2022. Let the fantastic beasts trilogy end first then move onto this trilogy.

He would be 33, 35 and 37 for the trilogy which would be fine.

It could also potentially make him the highest paid actor in history if his agent does well.

Joni

I'm hoping this gets made, including the original stars. They do need to realize they will need to change things up drastically.

SalvaPot

I remember there was a clause in the contract that said that Warner Bros can only make movies based on books or works by Rowling.

I'll love to see a movie based on the origins of that American School Rowling wrote about on Pottermore, that was awesome!

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
"Thanks for coming Harry, please take a seat."

"My name is Daniel."

"Now, we have this trilogy in mind and want all of the old gang back. Well, most of them."

"Guys, really. I love all of this and will never forget the memories and what you have done for me, but it just doesn't feel right. Like at all."

"Come on now Harry, think of all the fans."

"Once again, thanks but I just don't feel like it"

"90 million per movie"

"Where the fuck are my glasses?"

Those three are going to be expensive as hell, well maybe not Rupert. But still. Please no Yates.

Kinokou

Trilogy? This script is even shorter than the Hobbit!

Story spoiler
But I can see them stretching out the dark alternative dimension as a movie on it's own, would probbaly have some cool for Voldemort and Valor marketing too
So maybe three movies are feasable. Rather that than have them make the play a single movie and make up two new storylines for the next two movies.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
Fuck no

The book is trash, like the very basic elements of plot and character are just terrible. Spinning it out into a whole trilogy will just make it even worse

KHlover

Banned
If they cast him they'd need to bring the rest of the band back together, too (imo). Would feel pretty strange to see one familiar face surrounded by a bunch of strangers.

Busty

Banned
I think it's inevitable that Cursed Child is made into a film(s) but I'm not entirely sure that it's going to be anytime soon. Providing that Fantastic Beasts does good business I could see Warners either announce or start trickling out details of a slate of Harry Potter spin off films.

They registered a load of Harry Potter trademarks a few years ago and one of them (Scamander) 'turned into' Fantastic Beasts so it's possible that one of them could be developed into another spin off(s).

.., these include Scamander himself, the popular collection of Wizarding children's fairy tales Tales Of Beedle The Bard (first mentioned in Rowling's final Potter novel The Deathly Hallows and made available for Muggle readers in 2008), and another spinoff publication, Quidditch Through The Ages. The studio has also trademarked the name of quidditch expert Kennilworthy Whisp, the latter tome's fictitious author, as well as team names Wimbourne Wasps, Chudley Cannons and Kenmare Kestrels.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/30/harry-potter-quidditch-fantastic-beasts

The Potterverse has always had enough source material to justify various spin-offs so I could definitely see Warners doubling down on it (alternating Potter spin-offs every year?) but probably not as part of a shared universe a'la Marvel and DCU.

I could think the 'Wizarding World War' could justifiably see a trilogy of historical, magical epics on its own.

Let him wait until he is 40, it will give JK Rowling time to write a proper sequel perhaps. I have no desire to see the curse child on screen, the story was really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom