• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Brothers suspends [new] purchases for PC version of Batman Arkham Knight

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nvidia helping WB with the PC version
"We are working with WB Games and the development teams to address the performance issues of the of the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight," the company said.

"We have made our QA and engineering resources available and will provide updates when they are available."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still a lot better than Iron Galaxy and Nixxes is great example of what publisher should do if they want to outsource the PC version. Square Enix is handling them most of their ports and the studio is getting more and more experienced with that and it shows. Having a dedicated team for PC ports is a lot better solution that just hiring one inexperienced and often console-centric dev after another.
Well, Nixxes is better and has released many a great port but they've had issues in the past.

DXHR was pretty awful at released with 60-90 second loading screens (with no HDD access) interrupting the experience. This was fixed in a patch released a few days after release.

Tomb Raider Underworld was also missing effects on PC and PS3 (both of which Nixxes handled) that were present on Xbox 360.

Still, that's nothing compared to what Iron Galaxy has released here.

Jtrizzy

yeah I'm definitely getting right up to my 8 gigs of ram, and vram seems to be at around 3.7 on my 970. I have another 970 dedicated to physx, with sli disabled. 2600k@4.4, 1080p...Game is garbage no matter what I do with the cards. I can get fps in the teens doing donuts in the batmobile. Constant drops to 30 in the batmobile. Every time I glide off a building I see a 10-20 drop in fps.

Kiant

Ironically I was considering the pre-order for this on GMG last week but talked myself out of it. I then proceeded to buy an EVGA 980Ti this morning that came with a free PC download of Arkham Knight. So I now own a free copy of a game that I wanted to play but I still can't because it is broken and unplayable. Hopefully Rocksteady, Iron Galaxy and WB can get this worked out.

You tried it out yet? I received my 980ti yesterday and I think through brute force I've been able to run it. No stutter, only a few random drops in the batmobile. Although Gsync is helping!

I'm glad it was pulled though. Even if you can just brute force it, there is no way a pc game in 2015 should run like this.

AlterOdin

This is UE3 is a bad way to look at this. They're doing more with UE3 than any game to date. They're using it in ways that it damn near wasn't designed for. It's likely less efficient using UE3 in this way than a more modern engine designed for this stuff. A mid-range GPU was never going to run circles around it.

It should be better than it is, though. A lot better.

Yeah I maybe was generous including mid, although now I consider 780/970 mid-class, but this is all semantics.

Point being 980 upward should definitely run circles around it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, Nixxes is better and has released many a great port but they've had issues in the past.

DXHR was pretty awful at released with 60-90 second loading screens (with no HDD access) interrupting the experience. This was fixed in a patch released a few days after release.

Tomb Raider Underworld was also missing effects on PC and PS3 (both of which Nixxes handled) that were present on Xbox 360.

Still, that's nothing compared to what Iron Galaxy has released here.

Wish QLOC had the time for a re-port of Batman then. They went as far as to re-add Gamecube shader effects for RE4 HD on PC when people found out they were missing.

Hooray - got my GMG refund this morning and now can safely open my PS4 copy lol.

I think I'll just use this as a reminder to avoid WB games on PC in the future.

kodecraft

Wish QLOC had the time for a re-port of Batman then. They went as far as to re-add Gamecube shader effects for RE4 HD on PC when people found out they were missing.

Definitely need a developer that has love for the product instead of a paycheck motivation.

DieH@rd

Banned
A minute in PS well spent.

mzbbmlzsrs.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Definitely need a developer that has love for the product instead of a paycheck motivation.

Yeah, it couldn't have been easy to make sure the 60 FPS mode worked as well as it does either, they totally went in with the mindset of creating the definitive version of the game. (And it is)

Da hell is this nonsense? I like how you've come to this conclusion based on this PC port which is possibly the result of numerious circumstances we know nothing about.

Delays, deadlines, and pushing a product out the door when it's not ready are the most likely culprits here. Not the motivation of the porting studio.

Are you forgetting that Iron Galaxy did the beautiful PC Port for Bioshock Infinite? Such a gorgeous game, and it ran great. They know UE3 well enough.

Maybe Batman Arkham Knight deserves a publisher that "has a love for the product instead of a paycheck motivation." (lol)

kinggroin

Banned
If the vram usage on low is over 2.5 gb are 2gb cards just fucked? How is it so high vs other open world games like gta5 and witcher 3?

I'm on normal with a 2GB 670. So no, not fucked. The game runs about as well as something broken would run, considering the horsepower at hand. Read: Close to the PS4 version, but with some split second hitches here and there (and obviously missing effects).

Although there is a tweak found on the steam forums that pretty has the game running as good if not better than the PS4 version. Coupled with sweetFX (which brings in a less accurate AO and nice form of AA), all you'd be missing is the rain shader and improved bokeh. If you have a 770 or better, you can turn on paper debris and rain and have a game that compromises a bit, but may look better than the PS4 version too.

Of course the point should be, you shouldn't have to fuck around with any of this honestly.

So the Polish republisher apparently released a press note about the game being recalled internationally on the wishes of WB. Apparently, since they definitely don't have that on public part of their website, and in fact they're still advertising the thing to be bought in their direct shop (which is the only place so far I have seen it being sold actually for equivalent of 60€). The regular online shops keep selling the thing too - well, one switched to premium edition only.

I wonder how will that go then, to be honest.

Pacotera

Banned
what happened to this thread?

People being ok wi th the fact that WB fucked up ROYALLY on this game?!!?!

Theres NO excuse!

You have TESTERS to do their job and make sure the game is ok for release... if WB gave the green light to release this fuck up there is NO EXCUSE!

They deserve all the bad rep theyre getting

viveks86

Theres NO excuse!

You have TESTERS to do their job and make sure the game is ok for release... if WB gave the green light to release this fuck up there is NO EXCUSE!

NQJceHs.gif

yatesl

So the Polish republisher apparently released a press note about the game being recalled internationally on the wishes of WB. Apparently, since they definitely don't have that on public part of their website, and in fact they're still advertising the thing to be bought in their direct shop (which is the only place so far I have seen it being sold actually for equivalent of ). The regular online shops keep selling the thing too - well, one switched to premium edition only.

I wonder how will that go then, to be honest.

A certain UK based reseller still has Batman + DLC for £14.99 as their front page banner, as well as website background. On Facebook they're saying they're looking in to refunds, but radio silence since yesterday.

I'm tempted to do a PayPal refund now AK has decided to start running like shit after 10 hours of play, but I do actually like aforementioned site (despite their flaws and grey area keys). I may be left with no choice, though.

Buburibon

Da hell is this nonsense? I like how you've come to this conclusion based on this PC port which is possibly the result of numerious circumstances we know nothing about.

Delays, deadlines, and pushing a product out the door when it's not ready are the most likely culprits here. Not the motivation of the porting studio.

Are you forgetting that Iron Galaxy did the beautiful PC Port for Bioshock Infinite? Such a gorgeous game, and it ran great. They know UE3 well enough.

Maybe Batman Arkham Knight deserves a publisher that "has a love for the product instead of a paycheck motivation." (lol)

Do you remember how Bioshock Infinite PC fared at launch? It was plagued by texture streaming issues and stuttering. It was eventually patched to a workable state, but not for several months.

kejigoto

Banned
I'm tempted to do a PayPal refund now AK has decided to start running like shit after 10 hours of play.

I'm sitting in the same boat right now, just passed 13 hours of play and the game starts running terribly after only a short amount of time. I can maybe do one or two objectives depending on how close they are before my framerate tanks and performance becomes unbearable.

Theres NO excuse!

This guy gets it.

I'm sitting in the same boat right now, just passed 13 hours of play and the game starts running terribly after only a short amount of time. I can maybe do one or two objectives depending on how close they are before my framerate tanks and performance becomes unbearable.

Exactly this. It seems the more hours you've logged the worse it performs. I have about 27 hours in(still performs like shit, but I don't want to be spoiled on the story) and I can seemingly only do one objective before framerate tanks. It's funny too, if I keep the camera still, 60fps, the second I move the camera(slowly or fast in any direction) framerate fluctuates wildly from 60 down to 10 over and over until I restart.

ktroopa

A certain UK based reseller still has Batman + DLC for £14.99 as their front page banner, as well as website background. On Facebook they're saying they're looking in to refunds, but radio silence since yesterday.

I'm tempted to do a PayPal refund now AK has decided to start running like shit after 10 hours of play, but I do actually like aforementioned site (despite their flaws and grey area keys). I may be left with no choice, though.

If your referring to cdkeys.com count me as one buyer also waiting on word for a refund. They really should do it tbh, while everyone else is issuing refunds and all knows its been recalled and suspended from sale.

Can you even still activate steam keys for AK if you did now manage to buy it... Surely not :/

How could paypal differ here wud they refund if approached you think?

kodecraft

True enough. We don't know the behind the scenes situation. But whatever it was its severe enough to get the pc version snatched off the shelves for a re-release.

At the end of the day gamers don't care about the behind the scenes l, just the final product. And the final product looks like a no fucks were given version.

If PC wants to become more mainstream though, its going to take more just porting Studios just doing another job.

Spoo

I'm sure there are some of us who still have copies of this game on Steam -- they should really just update the game as they work on fixes and push them out to us to "test." May as well, right? I mean, the game is already fucked, so might as well hand it to people who will actually test it instead of whoever they used previously lol.

I've been able to get about 10 hours into the game and... man, it sucks it's so broke, because the game underneath all this shit is incredibly fantastic.

Do you remember how Bioshock Infinite PC fared at launch? It was plagued by texture streaming issues and stuttering. It was eventually patched to a workable state, but not for several months.
I had that game nearly maxed at launch on a freaking 570 and the game worked wonders, didnt have a problem playing at beating it at launch.
I dont know what you are talking about.

Luke_Wal

It's a bummer because of my intense love of Dave Lang, but after this and Borderlands 2 for Vita, you can't help but begin to question their ability as a port house. Either that, or publishers just aren't giving them enough time and/or support, but it's becoming a real bummer.

Of course, they did some great work last generation and people seem to love Killer Instinct S2, so maybe it's just a rough patch.

Sijil

I had that game nearly maxed at launch on a freaking 570 and the game worked wonders, didnt have a problem playing at beating it at launch.
I dont know what you are talking about.

Likewise, beat it at launch with a 570, the only issue I had was the game dropping from 60 to 30 when I got too close to any door but that's it.

roytheone

Does anyone know when this is rumoured to be back up? I read Fall 2015 or some shit like that. That true? :/

No, fall 2015 is the release date for the Linux/Mac versions of the game, we have no idea when it will be back for windows. Their communication after pulling the game has been quite bad.

Does anyone know when this is rumoured to be back up? I read Fall 2015 or some shit like that. That true? :/
The Fall 2015 referred to release of *nices version (Mac, Linux incl. SteamOS) before the Windows version's level of craziness turned out to be what it is.

As of right now, no date can be treated reliably - though the Linux version in theory should be very easy to port to Windows after being developed first, this is almost surely not what WB/Rs/... are planning for a variety of reasons, and that port was probably going to be based off Windows one. So, uh, no intel on that one?

Spoo

I read in the other thread (I think, and I know that's not descriptive since we have about 9 Batman threads going), that there has been a lot of updates on the steamDB that have to do with patch progress.

I don't think it's out of the question that for those of us who still have the game, we may be getting access to a 'beta' patch within a week or two. Depends on if they want to take advantage of those of us who have the game as external testers to help them finish or not -- and considering how things have gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to do that.

Any update yet?

Hoping for an ETA on a patch sometime next week (even if it is a vague month like end of July or something) + incentive to not refund.

Buburibon

SSPssp

I would've never imagined this to be the case. I just got into PC gaming last year and just have an entry level 750 Ti and Bioshock Infinite runs like a dream. I hope with refunds these unacceptable issues at launch stop happening.

NeonBlack

I remember playing bioshock infinite first day on my gaming laptop with no issues

Top Bottom