• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Brothers suspends [new] purchases for PC version of Batman Arkham Knight

AlterOdin

where did nvidia state 60?

In the youtube title (I think) for gameworks on their official channel.

Or at-least I thought so, look like it's gone from the title, maybe confusing it with the IGN (same video) youtube channel. (Or they removed it from the title)

Both videos are displayed in 60fps. But even with not explicitly writing it, for me that video advertised batman at 60 fps on pc.

Nvidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjmLNZtvxk
IGN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK4sobSgKRM

I can see it now... they release a patch claiming everything has been fixed. you load up the game and are presented with this

LegoBatman3-4.jpg

Depends on your expectations for what "all fixed" will eventually mean (to the publisher). If you just expect a patch that restores some visual effects and smooths out the worst of the performance problems, then a week or two might be possible. If you expect them to turn it into a really good PC port that scales well to 60 Hz and beyond, I would guess quite a bit longer.

Tough to say, though.

I'd take the patch that'll just restore some effects. I stopped playing b/c it became unbearable. Just wanna finish the story!

Yikes. Is this the first time something like this has happened with a crappy PC port?

No, there have been tons of crappy ports. The issue here is that it's a crappy port and that Rocksteady and WB Games hid the fact the game was subbed out to Iron Galaxy. The impression they gave was they worked on all versions of the game. As far as ports, this is really craptastic, not even running properly on uber machines, the missing textures and efforts and an overall bad job.

GTA IV, Dark Souls, Bully, Binary Domain, even Mortal Kombat X are a few examples of bad ports from console to PC.

Rock star released all versions the same day fully optimized and ready to roll? Then no they didn't do what I said.

Forgive me, I forgot that you have intimate knowledge of how game development works.

Would you prefer Rockstar have delayed every version of GTAV until April 2015 to fit with your "expert plan"? Not only is that fully impossible in a capitalist system, it also wouldn't solve any of Rockstar's problems. Working on all five versions at the same time would probably mean it would come out even LATER than April. GTAV performs excellently on every platform it's on, and Rockstar took their time making sure it would. That's about as consumer friendly as it gets, and is the opposite of what appears to have happened with Arkham Knight.

e: also quit using "optimize" like a buzzword.

jett

D-Member
Just remembered that Akrham City also suffered from stuttering on DX9 that didn't get solved until like the GOTY edition I think LOL. Nevermind DX11 was broken for months after launch.

Maybe I'll play some AC, really I wish I could be playing some Batmayne right now.

With all this Batman talk, I fired up Origins since I never completed it. Runs like butter on my 780 Ti @ 1080p max settings. 60-120 fps on my 144hz g-sync monitor. I wanted Arkham Knight to be as good of a port from a technical aspect.

matmanx1

Ironically I was considering the pre-order for this on GMG last week but talked myself out of it. I then proceeded to buy an EVGA 980Ti this morning that came with a free PC download of Arkham Knight. So I now own a free copy of a game that I wanted to play but I still can't because it is broken and unplayable. Hopefully Rocksteady, Iron Galaxy and WB can get this worked out.

People never learn

Day one purchase = DANGER ZONE.

Stop it cause that ain't true. There's plenty of day one games that were fantastic. This nonsense and preorder nonsense just needs to stop.

If the vram usage on low is over 2.5 gb are 2gb cards just fucked? How is it so high vs other open world games like gta5 and witcher 3?

Once you exceed the amount of vram then anything over that limit is going to cause dropped frames and massive stutter. Why is it so high? It's a bad port! It's got tons of holes, Batman!

Just remembered that Akrham City also suffered from stuttering on DX9 that didn't get solved until like the GOTY edition I think LOL. Nevermind DX11 was broken for months after launch.

DX11 is STILL broken in Arkham City. For me, anyways. Running the game on an i7-4770k and a GTX 770, the game runs beautifully until I turn on anything DX11-related at which point it just chuuuuuuugs.

Stop it cause that ain't true. There's plenty of day one games that were fantastic. This nonsense and preorder nonsense just needs to stop.

They're not wrong. Being an early adopter at all is danger zone. May capitalism bless those who are willing to take the plunge to inform the rest of us, "help! This damn thing doesn't even have Ambient Occlusion!"

hlhbk

Forgive me, I forgot that you have intimate knowledge of how game development works.

Would you prefer Rockstar have delayed every version of GTAV until April 2015 to fit with your "expert plan"? Not only is that fully impossible in a capitalist system, it also wouldn't solve any of Rockstar's problems. Working on all five versions at the same time would probably mean it would come out even LATER than April. GTAV performs excellently on every platform it's on, and Rockstar took their time making sure it would. That's about as consumer friendly as it gets, and is the opposite of what appears to have happened with Arkham Knight.

e: also quit using "optimize" like a buzzword.

Funny how other games are able to release great pc versions on the same day as the console version. It can be done so don't act like it can't. It is very doable. Quit defending publishers who choose not to put in the required time to do so.

SoulUnison

Banned

Making a commitment in advance to purchase something you have no real idea of the quality of is inherently a gamble.
Pre-ordering games used to be about making sure there was a copy available for you at release - now it's about companies wanting a large portion of their money before they've even provided a product.

Megasoum

Banned
Making a commitment in advance to purchase something you have no real idea of the quality of is inherently a gamble.
Pre-ordering games used to be about making sure there was a copy available for you at release - now it's about companies wanting a large portion of their money before they've even provided a product.

It's a gamble for sure, no denying that... However, there is advantages for pre-ordering games.

1-Often cheaper price (especialy on PC)
2-Pre-order bonuses (ok it's often shit but whatever)
3-Easier to avoid spoilers if you play it early
4-The most important one IMO, there's definite value in playing and experiencing a game while being part of the zeitgeist. Being able to play a game while following along dozens or more people in the OT and in other places online has tremendous value.

DX11 is STILL broken in Arkham City. For me, anyways. Running the game on an i7-4770k and a GTX 770, the game runs beautifully until I turn on anything DX11-related at which point it just chuuuuuuugs.

Very true. I just replayed Arkham City and benchmarked DX11 and it just doesn't run very well, The tessellation is bonked in that game and is the worst offender. On a more positive note, the PhysX effects look great.

edit: On a GTX 780.

Or at-least I thought so, look like it's gone from the title, maybe confusing it with the IGN (same video) youtube channel. (Or they removed it from the title)

Both videos are displayed in 60fps. But even with not explicitly writing it, for me that video advertised batman at 60 fps on pc.

They actually changed the title, those scammers.

Yeah, Arkham City did stutter and crash for me the other day in DX11 as well. It's funny how Origins has the best performance even if it has the weakest story.

LewieP

Yeah, Arkham City did stutter and crash for me the other day in DX11 as well. It's funny how Origins has the best performance even if it has the weakest story.

Not for me, I had more technical/performance issues with Origins than either of the prior games. They did patch it though.

It switches to PS4 prompts if you plug in a Dualshock 4 with a USB cable (and have the proper drivers from DS4Windows, etc).

It shows DS4 prompts as default.

GTX970 chokes because of its very slow .5GB of VRAM at end of whole 4GB capacity. According some respected posters in Anandtech forums that last .5GB chokes whole last 1GB when accessed. No wonder card has issues when VRAM use goes over 3.5GB and hitting hardap of 4GB, no matter what GPU, will cause issues.

Edit: To clarify, if card has 4GB of VRAM and game keeps hitting that limit it will choke card. If card has 6GB of VRAM and game uses 4.5GB such choking effect won't appear.

I have a 970, I've had the game hit 3.9GB, no stuttering outside a couple couple minor instances during a cut scene. After the cut scene I tried to get the game to stutter and it wouldn't, not even a single hitch while spinning the camera around, maybe I should try hopping into the Batmobile a bit more and wait to see it reach 4GB to see what happens.

I agree, performance in the AK seems to be all over the map and there isn't any clear pattern. Which makes it rather painful when some streamers with good performance on PC build X just paint talks about issues as uncalled for whining. One of those games and cases where you just would love know technical details and breakdown on what went wrong.

There is a pattern and that involves people with 8GB of RAM or less (6GB is the supposed minimum) and running at least their page file off an HDD. People with 12-16GB or have their PF on an SSD seem to have less or no significant issues with stuttering/frame drops. At normal/high settings the game will eventually exceed 5GB of RAM usage (I've seen it go over 6GB and reach 99/100% utilization) and start making use of the page file and that seems to be where the problems start.

On the GPU side it seems the only video card that is handling not getting its memory eventually filled are those running on a Titan X where IIRC somewhere here reported it was using 8GB at 1080p.

At all low settings and GW off at 720p I didn't see this happen but memory usage was still over 3.5GB and VRAM usage was over 2.6GB. There's definitely a memory leak somewhere.

I've tested the game with my PF on an SSD (where's it's been since I installed my SSD) and after moving it to my HDD. I should do it again at the low/last gen resolution settings and see what happens as well.

If this is fixed in a month I'll lick my socks (the dirty ones, not the clean ones :D), I'm gonna guess closer to 3 months - i hope to hell I'm wrong and your right, but I'll be shocked if you are.

I actually hope it does take longer. I'd rather see them go back to the drawing board and have Rocksteady properly port over their 'tour de force' PS4 version than have some external PC partner try and spackle over the cracks in this shitheap. Of course, that would interfere with WB's plans to release a million DLC packs, so it's pretty much out of the question.

I'm also hoping we see some compensation on the level of what Ubisoft did when they shat out AC Unity last year. They made the DLC free for everyone, and gave Season Pass owners their choice of a free recent Ubisoft game.

Wiktor

Even so, it's not very common for a PC port to display Playstation button prompts. .

It's very common. Because that likely wasn't a PC port, at that point the PC version was probably the main one, since it's generally easier way to develop and only later on devs concentrated on console versions.
Most of the early demos you see are PC versions. Often even for games that never actually got PC version at all (like Dragon Dogma)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No. Also Nvidia advertised it in 60 fps (chipmunk-gate notwithstanding).

Also this is UE3, mid-high end GPU's should be running circles around it.

Anyway not good enough, atleast not for me.
This is UE3 is a bad way to look at this. They're doing more with UE3 than any game to date. They're using it in ways that it damn near wasn't designed for. It's likely less efficient using UE3 in this way than a more modern engine designed for this stuff. A mid-range GPU was never going to run circles around it.

It should be better than it is, though. A lot better.

Wiktor

Even Nixxes aren't perfect, not by a long shot. The PC release of DE:HR was somewhat of a clusterfuck for a lot of people, with huge performance issues across the board. Although the game itself was relatively bug free it took a few patches to iron things out.
Still a lot better than Iron Galaxy and Nixxes is great example of what publisher should do if they want to outsource the PC version. Square Enix is handling them most of their ports and the studio is getting more and more experienced with that and it shows. Having a dedicated team for PC ports is a lot better solution that just hiring one inexperienced and often console-centric dev after another.

Menome

There is a pattern and that involves people with 8GB of RAM or less (6GB is the supposed minimum) and running at least their page file off an HDD.

I'm on 8GB RAM and only have HDD in my PC, so the game and page file are both running off of that. Yet I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't getting stuttering issues and running at 60fps unless I'm in the Batmobile, then it dips to 30/45fps.

Other details:

i5-3750k CPU
Nvidia 780 OC
Windows 7

Max FPS set to 120.
"Mobile" motion-blur set to 0.0

1080p
In-game AA and V-Sync set to 'On'
Textures - Normal
Shadows - Medium
Detail - High

No Gameworks at all.

Bruno

Very true. I just replayed Arkham City and benchmarked DX11 and it just doesn't run very well, The tessellation is bonked in that game and is the worst offender. On a more positive note, the PhysX effects look great.

edit: On a GTX 780.

I've been playing Arkham City with the following settings on a 6GB 780 SC ACX - capped 60 FPS. Waiting until a patch is out before I even touch Arkham Knight.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using d3doverrider to force vsync & triple buffering because the screen tearing was driving me crazy.

A77ey9F.png

I've been playing Arkham City with the following settings on a 6GB 780 SC ACX - capped 60 FPS. Waiting until a patch is out before I even touch Arkham Knight.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm using d3doverrider to force vsync & triple buffering because the screen tearing was driving me crazy.

A77ey9F.png

Hop on that g-sync bandwagon son!

It was right after that 60fps video started being discussed that WB suspended all PC sales.

Funny how other games are able to release great pc versions on the same day as the console version. It can be done so don't act like it can't. It is very doable. Quit defending publishers who choose not to put in the required time to do so.

Have you ever heard the phrase "shit happens"?

Because shit happens. I don't know if you were aware of that. Sometimes you can try your absolute hardest and still fail. That's not failure, that's not a lesson to be learned, that's life. Considering you cannot avoid the shit, and its tendency to happen, you've got two options here:

a) Release it anyways and just hope the public is okay with it.
b) Hold it back and keep fixing it until it meets your, and the public's, standards.

I keep bringing this up because WB did a, Rockstar and Take Two did b. WB had to pull Arkham Knight from being sold entirely. Rockstar made the best-earning non-Valve game on all of Steam. Hmmm.

But nah, lemme just forward this weird checklist you made on "HOW 2 MAEK VIDYO GAEM" to WB. If they follow this plan all their PC ports will be perfect from here on out, and shit will NEVER happen again! No mistakes. Ever.

It was right after that 60fps video started being discussed that WB suspended all PC sales.

As much as it would warm our conspiracy-loving hearts to imagine that WB had to cover up their own advertising, that claim won't hold up in court - nowhere in the video nor its description does it claim that the game is intended to run at 60fps. They can easily claim "oh we modded the game to show off our hardware."

komorebi

It shows DS4 prompts as default.

Not for me. The DS4 over bluetooth (with DS4windows) shows xbox prompts like any other game, plugged in via USB it shows PS prompts. Tried it myself over and over trying to get wireless and PS prompts to work together because I thought it was cool. Eventally gave up because pulling the USB wire lost all sync to BT and DS4windows even after a reboot. I had to unpair and resync via BT to get it back to normal. Likely not the games fault but I said fuck it along with the PC version.

I actually get Xbox One button prompts as default, using a 360 controller with the wireless dongle. It has that weird symbol for whatever the Xbox One's version of the Back button is called.

hlhbk

Have you ever heard the phrase "shit happens"?

Because shit happens. I don't know if you were aware of that. Sometimes you can try your absolute hardest and still fail. That's not failure, that's not a lesson to be learned, that's life. Considering you cannot avoid the shit, and its tendency to happen, you've got two options here:

a) Release it anyways and just hope the public is okay with it.
b) Hold it back and keep fixing it until it meets your, and the public's, standards.

I keep bringing this up because WB did a, Rockstar and Take Two did b. WB had to pull Arkham Knight from being sold entirely. Rockstar made the best-earning non-Valve game on all of Steam. Hmmm.

But nah, lemme just forward this weird checklist you made on "HOW 2 MAEK VIDYO GAEM" to WB. If they follow this plan all their PC ports will be perfect from here on out, and shit will NEVER happen again! No mistakes. Ever.

As much as it would warm our conspiracy-loving hearts to imagine that WB had to cover up their own advertising, that claim won't hold up in court - nowhere in the video nor its description does it claim that the game is intended to run at 60fps. They can easily claim "oh we modded the game to show off our hardware."

Keep making excuses. The facts point to the pc port being a low priority for wb. It only became important when it was going to effect their bottom line.

Again other devs get their pc versions out same day as consoles and the ports are amazing. It can be done if the proper focus is given.

Keep making excuses.

Start reading my posts.

Just because it's the norm for PC ports to hit the same day and be decent doesn't mean that development always goes smoothly. You have two options when things go wrong: WB, or Take Two.

Unless you still seriously believe that internet rumor about "12 guys spent 8 weeks on this port!" which has been proven to be bullshit already.

Pjsprojects

My buddy on a 3GB 780 is not experiencing major issues. Just the occasional slowdown when driving. If the 970 only having 3.5GB of fast VRAM was the issue, nobody using 2-3GB cards would ever be reporting "relatively smooth" experiences in this game. However there seems to be no correlation at all between what card you're running and how good it is. People on Titans and stuff being unplayable, people on 2gb 770s doing fine. It's a mess and the answer isn't that simple.

I get your thoughts in this but it's because the game fills all or most available vram that the 970 chugs more than some other cards.
If a 3gb 780 gets the vram filled it does not slow down.
If a 4gb 970 gets the vram filled it does slow down,anything that uses over 3.5gb vram will make the card slow down.

Bruno

Not for me. The DS4 over bluetooth (with DS4windows) shows xbox prompts like any other game, plugged in via USB it shows PS prompts.

That's because if you use DS4Windows your computer thinks you have a 360 controller. I deal with it being plugged in anytime a game actually shows PS prompts. Witcher 3 was support to have support and.. yeah it didn't.

Not for me. The DS4 over bluetooth (with DS4windows) shows xbox prompts like any other game, plugged in via USB it shows PS prompts. Tried it myself over and over trying to get wireless and PS prompts to work together because I thought it was cool. Eventally gave up because pulling the USB wire lost all sync to BT and DS4windows even after a reboot. I had to unpair and resync via BT to get it back to normal. Likely not the games fault but I said fuck it along with the PC version.

If I start it with no controller plugged in I see the PS4 prompts as default, if I start it with my XB360 controller plugged in (haven't tried plugging it in after checking this) then I see the prompts for it. IIRC this game has native support for the PS4 controller doesn't it? Does DS4Windows emulate the XB360 controller?

I get your thoughts in this but it's because the game fills all or most available vram that the 970 chugs more than some other cards.
If a 3gb 780 gets the vram filled it does not slow down.
If a 4gb 970 gets the vram filled it does slow down,anything that uses over 3.5gb vram will make the card slow down.

I've hit 3.9GB on my 970 and maybe I need to do some serious driving around but noticed no stuttering from it.

Top Bottom