• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning: Legit-looking NES Classic Mini console knock-offs appearing

jts

...hate me...
Licensing and legality issues aside - you know you fucked up when cheap chinese knockoffs manage to match all of the "real" product's functionality and quality :lol

If it looks like the real thing and plays like the real thing... I mean, it is illegal, but they are serving a starving market here. Supply and demand, capitalism at work.

I mean, the quality definitely doesn't seem to match, so there's that.

When the entire point of NES Classic is having official games on an official system, there is no point to getting one of these. Then you can just as well download the roms in two seconds rather than pay some Chinese pirates.

Chesskid1

Banned
I think they would have a harder time finding venues to sell it at if they put it out before Nintendo's. Nintendo probably won't be so active squashing these NES units since the original is now out of production.

When the entire point of NES Classic is having official games on an official system, there is no point to getting one of these. Then you can just as well download the roms in two seconds rather than pay some Chinese pirates.

these will be sold on ebay and not labeled at reproductions

n64 bootlegs recently became profitable, just search conker's bad fur day on ebay and you will see a ton of $25 listings (while legit copies are $65~) and they aren't listed as counterfeit at all

Oxymoron

I find it weird the software would be any different at all from the real NES mini. Hardware differences I can understand (cutting corners, different factories & materials), but if their goal was a knockoff, shouldn't the software be a 1:1 rip from a real unit?

For the software to be a 1:1 rip, they would have had to get a chipset that had binary compatibility with the actual NES classic. Must simpler to just throw an NES emulator on and write your own interface.

Marcel

Some people just want to have it to have it regardless. You can't always account for logic in situations like these (and the knockoff NES Classic aren't even meant for collectors anyway).

The entire point of the NeS mini was to have convinient access to a bunch of old games in a familiar, nostalgic casing.

xrnzaaas

Isn't the whole point to have a Nintendo collector's product? I mean you can run (all) NES games on an old phone or a PSP emulator.

jstripes

Banned
Isn't the whole point to have a Nintendo collector's product? I mean you can run (all) NES games on an old phone or a PSP emulator.

Not everyone is a "collector". Most people just wanted to play their old favourites in a nice form factor. It's the collectors that actually ruined it for everyone, like usual.

Not everyone is a "collector". Most people just wanted to play their old favourites in a nice form factor. It's the collectors that actually ruined it for everyone, like usual.
Well, and Nintendo, for sticking to the Japanese mindset of a needlessly limited product for the sake of garnering attention, which I hear is very common there across multiple industries.

MiguelItUp

This is certainly one of those instances where most people will probably make the purchase rather than avoid it. It really is a shame that Nintendo doesn't change their approach and ensure stock can be fulfilled as best as possible. These products just become an immediate source of scalping and so many fans that are interested aren't able to nab one as a result. It's disgusting and their approach does nothing but condones that kind of behavior. I'd love to own this AND a SNES Classic Mini, but as soon as it was officially announced I held back from wanting one as it's just going to be a repeated scenario.

Hey, did any of the European versions of the NES Classic come with transparent tape seals on each end that said "If this seal is broken, DO NOT BUY"? Because it seems like some of these newer listings have those seals and I don't remember seeing them before.

bIe1Vfy.jpg

C0rH4aN.jpg

Bluth54

Nintendo's own fault. They don't want to make the money then someone else will at Nintendo's expense. If this works like the official one then why not. It's the only way to get one without paying scalper prices, which is a tragedy.

Yep. I can't blame anyone for buying one of these instead of spending a ton of money on an official one from a second hand seller.
The NES Mini should still be on store shelves, with the SNES Mini to be placed along side it later this year but Nintendo is going to be Nintendo.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would be hilarious if this ends up being just as good as the real thing and eventually becomes widespread.
Famiclones have dominated lower price markets since the 80s, so nothing new here really.

No thieves at work, capitalism doesn't require thieves

I think you'll find that this is a perfect example of capitalism. Supply and Demand and no regulation.

There are only cheap Chinese knock-offs of supply-constrained products, OK.

Was Nintendo's mini built in Japan? Looked like a fairly generic bit of kit made in China.

Some of the Chinese knock-offs these days are pretty good - see the GB Boy Colour.

If you can find one that is as well made as Nintendo's (would tha be hard?) and come with more ROMs, then you've got a proper NES mini and not the disappointing scalper enabling middling product that Nintendo put out.

Vashetti

Banned

Nintendo have sold pirated ROMs downloaded from the web.

I remember mall kiosks selling NES emulator boxes for ages now, but they never looked like this. Getting more brazen now, it seems.

dano1

A Sheep
Serves Nintendo right!! Maybe they will make a Snes after Nintendo short stocks that also👍🏻

HCgamer

How so? When I saw the prices official nes classic mini replica controllers are selling for on ebay I opted to buy nes adapters to use my original nes controllers on wii wii u.

And don't forget the great NES Controller replica. Actually it's improved...the originals were not as nice as the new versions.

LiK

People don't care if it's legit now. Can't buy the real ones from the aftermarket unless you got a lot of money to burn. Nintendo is giving bootleggers the money.

Serves Nintendo right!! Maybe they will make a Snes after Nintendo short stocks that also👍🏻

I wouldn't be surprised if SNES classic clones beat the official ones to market. Especially if the SNES Classic uses the same hardware as the NES Classic.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If it's cheap enough I might consider one just for the shell, and put a Raspberry Pi inside. But I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 for a glorified RPi shell.

(I already have 2 genuine NES Classic Minis, so I don't need a bootleg one.)

meppi

If you're not buying official may as well just get a raspberry pi instead of taking your chances with a knock off. .

That's what I'm thinking.
At least with a pi, you know it won't end up burning your house down from the shoddy electronics they use.

dgco86

Hey, did any of the European versions of the NES Classic come with transparent tape seals on each end that said "If this seal is broken, DO NOT BUY"? Because it seems like some of these newer listings have those seals and I don't remember seeing them before.

Nope, my European one doesn't have those tape seals.

GLAMr

No thieves at work, capitalism doesn't require thieves
Capitalism is literally the theft of time and labor from the working classes by the ruling capitalist elite ;P

TBH I expected this thread to be a joke about how easy it is to setup a Raspberry Pi with emulators + roms for an awesome retro time. This sucks though. I feel bad for anybody getting slammed, buy I'm also miffed at Nintendo for being so damn stingy with stock numbers.

Idk where he got it from but my dad bought a knock off that works and looks pretty close to the original like this does, except the controller ports are actual NES ports and I think it cost him $30. Didn't see the box though, he probably threw it out.

Top Bottom