• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning: Legit-looking NES Classic Mini console knock-offs appearing

OmegaFax

I can see why Nintendo wasn't too keen on showing how the system worked or the bottom of the SNES Classic Edition when they invited people to their offices for a look.

Hesh

This reminds me of when I was duped into buying knockoff Super Battle Collection figures at Comic-Con as a kid because they had legit boxes but the figures inside were crap with terrible paint jobs.

Aside from colours the front of the box appears to be identical, so it seems you can no longer trust listings with just the front of the box shown. The back however does have at least have some problems, specifically with the text list of games. The spacing between the large + sign and all the bullet points are wrong, they should be perfectly spaced. Compare these two images:

FAKE
GchFQT0.jpg

GENUINE

Hey, did any of the European versions of the NES Classic come with transparent tape seals on each end that said "If this seal is broken, DO NOT BUY"? Because it seems like some of these newer listings have those seals and I don't remember seeing them before.
No, as standard Nintendo don't seal any of their hardware in Europe. That's likely just a retailer specific security seal.

shaowebb

They've had these for ages. They're called Retropie. They sell em on Etsy with 3d printed console casings and about 10000 more games.

Aside from colours the front of the box appears to be identical, so it seems you can no longer trust listings with just the front of the box shown. The back however does have at least have some problems, specifically with the text list of games. The spacing between the large + sign and all the bullet points are wrong, they should be perfectly spaced. Compare these two images:

Good eye!

Psxphile

I'd imagine these guys will have snes classics available to buy before Nintendo even launches them. Good luck to anyone buying either of them on ebay.

imagine if china releases the SNES mini knockoff before it even officially releases

they are going to make so much money

I wouldn't be surprised if SNES classic clones beat the official ones to market. Especially if the SNES Classic uses the same hardware as the NES Classic.

Lacking StarFox 2 final would make it quite difficult, no? I mean, I suppose they can just substitute the leaked betas and call it a day.

Impotaku

Given the awful sound emulation errors the official version may as well be the "peasant" edition!

News to me i have played mine a crapload and not noticed anything of the sort, then again not noticed any lag either & people were making out like it had a crapload of lag too.

Futaleufu

This seems pretty good.

For the people saying "buy a Raspberry", can you plug and play in a raspberry out of the box?

For the people saying this doesnt have "collector" value: 99% of the people only care about playing the games.

Besides the weird "welᶜome" boot screen, the second video in the OP featuring Ninja Gaiden is also interesting because the gameplay is stretched to 16:9. The genuine NES Classic Mini does not have a 16:9 stretch option. So one (or more?) of these things are likely:
a) the clone has a 16:9 stretch option in addition to what was on the legit Mini, or similar
b) the clone doesn't really have video options and defaults to 16:9
c) the system seller deliberately set the HDMI signal to "16:9 stretch"
d) the device he play tested on-camera is something different altogether

(b) is the one I would probably be most concerned about.

EDIT: I've also found some different photos of the clone. Check out how beat-up the box is on the US-box clone:

Aurongel

This seems pretty good.

For the people saying "buy a Raspberry", can you plug and play in a raspberry out of the box?

For the people saying this doesnt have "collector" value: 99% of the people only care about playing the games.
The amount of hoops you have to jump through at this point to setup a raspberry pi are far, far fewer than the effort it takes to find a genuine NES Classic.

Hydrus

If it's cheap, I'd pick one up! Looks as good as the official one and since Nintendo doesn't want to make more, F them.

It's a really good looking and genuine hardware clone. We haven't had shit like this since the 16 bit era unless you count stuff like Treamcast but that used real Dreamcast parts gutted. Since it's ARM based it was probably really easy to do it with how little encryption this thing actually has.

boyshine

Just bought a Famicom Classic Mini off eBay for what seemed like a not-too-unreasonable price just thinking those weren't that scalped, but now I'm fearing fake.... Hmm.. Guess I'll know soon enough.

riotous

Banned
This seems pretty good.

You can buy a fully built raspberry pi, yes. Even ones loaded with all the software and emus.

The kit is super simple though and will save you some money. It's really not difficult, and I'm someone who buys pre-built PCs as I don't have the patience to deal with building one.

Just bought a Famicom Classic Mini off eBay for what seemed like a not-too-unreasonable price just thinking those weren't that scalped, but now I'm fearing fake.... Hmm.. Guess I'll know soon enough.

You should be fine, thankfully; these clone-makers say they won't have a Famicom version of their replicas available until August.

I appreciate that the shell has the right openings for a RPi board, but its NES-likeness is rather lacking.

BTW has anyone opened up this clone? I'd like to know how its innards differ from the legit version.

Agreed on the first point.

No, we're still waiting for anyone to report what this bugger is like on the inside, or see any footage not produced by the manufacturer themselves.

I wonder if, given time, knock offs would be able to just copy the OS off of the actual NES Mini? Like is that possible? Not even hack or change it or anything, literally just copying the OS from the NES Mini's chip or whatever (clearly I have no fucking clue how this actually works) and paste it onto a blank chip in a knockoff shell? The thing that was so enticing to me about the NES Mini was that it apparently had the best emulation of the NES yet as opposed to just putting a Raspberry Pi into a little NES case.

I wonder if, given time, knock offs would be able to just copy the OS off of the actual NES Mini? Like is that possible?

I suspect that whatever product this ends up being will be the only one we'll get. Look at the NES hardware clones out there. They're basically all using identical NES-on-a-chip configurations, some with extra tricks to get them a bit better. But the existing chip is "good enough" so no one has made an accurate new one in the past decade-plus. The Minis will get this "good enough" clone with whatever issues it has like the wonky load screen, and that'll be all they'll ever make going forward.

Nessus

If the software actually runs close to as well as Nintendo's then this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Would really like to see a review of one of these. See if they do save states, etc. like the official ones.

If the software actually runs close to as well as Nintendo's then this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Would really like to see a review of one of these. See if they do save states, etc. like the official ones.

The main menu on the clone indeed shows a command for accessing Suspend Points, so I expect it does.

I suspect that whatever product this ends up being will be the only one we'll get. Look at the NES hardware clones out there. They're basically all using identical NES-on-a-chip configurations, some with extra tricks to get them a bit better. But the existing chip is "good enough" so no one has made an accurate new one in the past decade-plus. The Minis will get this "good enough" clone with whatever issues it has like the wonky load screen, and that'll be all they'll ever make going forward.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. Disappointing though.

If I had $75 I would bite the bullet for GAF and order one. But not only do I not really have it right now, but Splatoon 2 is out in a couple weeks and I'd rather get that than take a chance on a dodgy NES Mini knockoff.

If someone else gets one and they're decent, though, and they eventually drop in price, I'd probably get one. Fuck paying over MSRP for an authentic NES Mini though, let along a goddamn knockoff.

hirokazu

Cmon, guys, don’t feed the bootleggers. If you’re gonna pirate, do it yourself and get whatever benefits you get from piracy. Giving these people money for selling stolen software in a hardware package that masquerades as the real deal isn’t right.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bet on chinese imitations surpassing the original product soon, with features Nintendo would never add.
It happens with pretty much every cheap-ish popular product out there. China don't care.

Cmon, guys, don’t feed the bootleggers. If you’re gonna pirate, do it yourself and get whatever benefits you get from piracy. Giving these people money for selling stolen software in a hardware package that masquerades as the real deal isn’t right.

All blame goes to Nintendo for making the product rare on purpose. They came up with the idea of making these small classic versions of old consoles and could have made plenty of money by selling genuine versions, but they didn't. Nintendo isn't actually losing any sales over this, they already sold out their real NES classics.

One thing that makes these clones interesting to me is getting to play the NES games with a NES controller clone. Are there any NES or SNES controller clones available for cheap, that have a USB plug for PC use? If there are, I won't need these classics.

hirokazu

All blame goes to Nintendo for making the product rare on purpose. They came up with the idea of making these small classic versions of old consoles and could have made plenty of money by selling genuine versions, but they didn't. Nintendo isn't actually losing any sales over this, they already sold out their real NES classics.

One thing that makes these clones interesting to me is getting to play the NES games with a NES controller clone. Are there any NES or SNES controller clones available for cheap, that have a USB plug for PC use? If there are, I won't need these classics.
It’s not just a case of since Nintendo’s not making money then it’s fair game though. These people are profiting off stolen software. Those product shots showing the printing on the controller really bad by the way.

Bluth54

It’s not just a case of since Nintendo’s not making money then it’s fair game though. These people are profiting off stolen software. Those product shots showing the printing on the controller really bad by the way.

Even through these people are illegally selling software I can't find it in myself to feel bad for Nintendo when there's still high demand for this product and they refuse to make more.

jts

...hate me...
Even through these people are illegally selling software I can't find it in myself to feel bad for Nintendo when there's still high demand for this product and they refuse to make more.
It's really not about feeling bad for Nintendo, they could just produce more if they were hurting. It's about feeling bad for supporting an illegal business that steals IP for profit. Not liking Nintendo is not a justification for that.

Or to buy this "collectible" that in the end is not more than a "PolyStation" kind of fake. If you're not going to have the real thing, might as well get a Raspberry Pi.

I saw this listing on eBay yesterday. It has a couple of pics of the insides,. Supposedly a Raspberry PI hooked up to Wii Classic controller ports? Also lots of glue to hold it in place 😧

Edit: Actually, is this listing full of crap? Sure doesn't look like a Raspberry PI...

I saw this listing on eBay yesterday. It has a couple of pics of the insides,. Supposedly a Raspberry PI hooked up to Wii Classic controller ports? Also lots of glue to hold it in place 😧

Edit: Actually, is this listing full of crap? Sure doesn't look like a Raspberry PI...
That also isn't the same box. That has the Australian release box. The bootleg in the OP has the PEGI and (massive) German rating board icons in the corner.

Bluth54

It's really not about feeling bad for Nintendo, they could just produce more if they were hurting. It's about feeling bad for supporting an illegal business that steals IP for profit. Not liking Nintendo is not a justification for that.

Or to buy this "collectible" that in the end is not more than a "PolyStation" kind of fake. If you're not going to have the real thing, might as well get a Raspberry Pi.

What makes you think I hate Nintendo?

I can't feel bad for them because they refuse to make more NES Classics despite high demand and for most consumers buying a bootleg is their only real option.

The Spanish forum I linked earlier has a lot of discussion. Apparently the AliExpress reseller delisted because they sold out of stock already (someone on that forum said they had sold about 230 units before delisting).

Also the shipping on them is taking forever. Several people in that thread said they ordered one back in mid-June when they were first listed. Only person I've heard of actually getting one so far is a guy with family in China who bought directly from a Taobao listing. Who knows if this device will ever even be widely available? Haha it might be like the legit NES Classic in ways we didn't expect.

The Spanish forum I linked earlier has a lot of discussion. Apparently the AliExpress reseller delisted because they sold out of stock already (someone on that forum said they had sold about 230 units before delisting).

Also the shipping on them is taking forever. Several people in that thread said they ordered one back in mid-June when they were first listed. Only person I've heard of actually getting one so far is a guy with family in China who bought directly from a Taobao listing. Who knows if this device will ever even be widely available? Haha it might be like the legit NES Classic in ways we didn't expect.

Shoulda told everyone there was limited stock, lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This seems pretty good.

99%

🤔

I mean, Nintendo doesn't want to sell me one, so why not purchase one of these.

Just like they don't want to sell me Zelda Amiibos, so I purchased the Action Replay Amiibo accessory.

Top Bottom