• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Dark Souls 2 really made by a B-Team? Also, Demon's Souls 2 speculation.

KORNdoggy

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. I feel like souls games are getting worse as they're made. They're all still great games, but i still prefer demon's souls tbh. And i'd love for from software's A team to be making a sequel.

ElFly

It feels like a lot of people on gaf were ready to call it a b-team game since before launch just in anticipation of the so leaked Demon Souls 2.

Gorillaz

It feels like a lot of people on gaf were ready to call it a b-team game since before launch just in anticipation of the so leaked Demon Souls 2.

Not really, people were hyped regardless, the first time the hype train went through some "problems" was when we found out about warping being there from the start

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They really do not deserve to be called B-team.
Indeed. Frankly it's insulting to these awesomely talented developers who put out the GotY 2014. It gives more fuel to the "whiny entitled gamers" meme too. Moreover, there's still a lot of overlap, so it's frankly asinine.

Can someone make a similar graph between the teams for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls? Just curious. Nvm, missed it

Is this the new "Demon's Souls PVP was better"?
Well, to be fair, it was. And still is. :)

ElFly

Not really, people were hyped regardless, the first time the hype train went through some "problems" was when we found out about warping being there from the start

Oh yeah I was worried too and still don't like that change.

But I def remember discussions saying that the real team and/or miyazaki was working on Demon 2 and stuff like that.

leadbelly

Banned
Sure as shit felt like it. Interesting stuff here. Hope all the people who weren't on DS2 are working on DeS2.

I really don't see the point in them making a Demon's Souls sequel. I think it would be far more interesting if they were making a completely new title.

Demon's Souls is so similar to Dark Souls it seems a bit pointless them making a sequel to it.

kick51

Banned
I really don't see the point in them making a Demon's Souls sequel. I think it would be far more interesting if they were making a completely new title.

Demon's Souls is so similar to Dark Souls it seems a bit pointless them making a sequel to it.

Demon's Souls would be a Sony exclusive since they own that IP

Calamari41

41 > 38
If that was the B Team, then they need a letter upgrade because Dark Souls 2 is just as good as Dark Souls 1 overall.

And, yes, Dark Souls 2 has better graphics than Dark Souls 1.

Indeed. Frankly it's insulting to these awesomely talented developers who put out the GotY 2014. It gives more fuel to the "whiny entitled gamers" meme too. Moreover, there's still a lot of overlap, so it's frankly asinine.

Can someone make a similar graph between the teams for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls? Just curious.

Uhm, it's there? It's also mentioned in the text. Did you read the whole thing? Then you would also know that it's not my purpose to insult anyone working at From Software, and that I liked Dark Souls 2 a lot, even though it wasn't the masterpiece like Dark Souls 1 was for me.

B- Team is very tongue and cheek imo. It's still a Souls game and imo still better than 90 percent of the games out there. However there does feel like something is "missing" in design. Even if it isn't as connected as DS1 was there still was this feeling like something was off altogether."

Completely agree.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uhm, it's there? It's also mentioned in the text. Did you read the whole thing? Then you would also know that it's not my purpose to insult anyone working at From Software, and that I liked Dark Souls 2 a lot, even though it wasn't the masterpiece like Dark Souls 1 was for me.
Oops, ignored the first column for some reason. And no, I didn't read the whole post, frankly it's tl;dr. But calling it a B-team is insulting, it's weird that you can't see that.

hahah holy shit tuco was banned. wtf

That surprises you?

Tuco walked a fine line constantly, lol.

eFsBeDJ.gif

Hypron

If that was the B Team, then they need a letter upgrade because Dark Souls 2 is just as good as Dark Souls 1 overall.

And, yes, Dark Souls 2 has better graphics than Dark Souls 1.

Yup. I don't like this "B team" denomination. It's insulting to the work these people put into the game. Right up there with "lazy devs" on my list of words/phrases I don't like that I read way too much on GAF.

leadbelly

Banned
Demon's Souls would be a Sony exclusive since they own that IP

Which is probably why Dark Souls was made. That kind of makes it even more pointless really because the audience for the game would be smaller.

I think the games are too much alike for it to be worth it from a creative standpoint.

elohel

I think we need a recap of who thinks dark and demons is better and a lot of similar discussions will come up

New game is awesome has same issues as last

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Not the stupid B Team term again. Different Team doesn't equal B Team. Stop denigrating the damn people who worked on the game.

ElFly

Yup. I don't like this "B team" denomination. It's insulting to the work these people put into the game. Right up there with "lazy devs" on my list of words/phrases I don't like that I read way too much on GAF.

Let's call it Team 1

cowboyuniverse.jpg

e: kind of sad cowboy bender isn't golden

Oops, ignored the first column for some reason. And no, I didn't read the whole post, frankly it's tl;dr. But calling it a B-team is insulting, it's weird that you can't see that.

Ok. :/

I'd say read it anyway if you have the time, cause I'm not insulting anyone. I was just quoting what people on the internet were saying, and tried to find out if there was any truth behind it.

Not sure if I suceeded, but that was never the point. All I wanted was to provide all the facts I could find, and let the reader decide for themselves/maybe speculate about the subject some more.

Persona7

Banned

I remember a lot of talk like that when Dark Souls was announced and how it won't be the same without input from Sony Japan.

Funny seeing as how Demon's Souls is the worst game in the series.

B-Team is insulting.

Dawg

Can we assume that Hidetaka Miyazaki is currently working on a [new] game? He was just a supervisor on this game and it seems to be a common thing for Japanese developers to supervise a game while directing another project.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey do you guys remember back before Mario Galaxy came out, when EAD Tokyo had only really done DK Jungle Beat? Are (or were) they a B Team too?

Can we assume that Hidetaka Miyazaki is currently working on a [new] game? He was just a supervisor on this game and it seems to be a common thing for Japanese developers to supervise a game while directing another project.

As far as I remember he confirmed well over a year ago he was working on a new project.

I wish DemonNite would just get really drunk one night and spill it.

edit: Now that I think about it, I don't want that DemonNite scenario to play out, as I don't want the guy to lose his job.
I can wait. :D

BadWolf

It would sort of make sense if they intended to go in strong into the next gen.

In that way they would have the main team work on the new gen project which would set up the frame work for that new generation whereas a second team would work on Dark Souls 2 and close out the old generation in the mean time.

Whatever the case, I would rather this be true simply for the fact that it would mean we would get another Souls game sooner rather than later.

jaosobno

This thread needs 100% more DemonNite's teasing.

But seriously, DeS2 on PS4 is on my Top 3 most anticipated games. I really really hope they will at least show some kind of teaser on E3. A little teaser would make me incredibly happy.

And if teaser started with these words:

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from it's vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

I would totally lose it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
People pining for a new Demon Souls game are ridiculous. Devoting resources to a game thats similar to an already successful series. I'd rather that effort be put towards something mechanically different. Make this new game Playstation exclusive for the Demon Souls "fans".

Megatonne

Banned
The fact that Miyazaki wasn't involved in Dark Souls 2 is all the proof you need. He obviously moved on to a different project and took at least SOME of the Dark Souls team with him.

Didn't need to dissect the credits to know that. LETTUCE HOPE it's Demon's Souls 2

But seriously, DeS2 on PS4 is on my Top 3 most anticipated games. I really really hope they will at least show some kind of teaser on E3. A little teaser would make me incredibly happy.

I would totally lose it.
I would, too.

So how many people just read the title and not the OP?

The Ds2 being called B-team entirely depends on your opinion of the game. If you thought DS2 was similar to Des/DS or better than its clear you wouldn't call them that.

The very least we can infer is that Miyazaki along with his team have been working on a game for quite some time. I think its obvious that its for next gen.

StuBurns

Banned
'B-team' doesn't have to imply inferiority, just isolation from the original. Second team might generally be seen as a nicer phrase, but it's a semantic distinction, not a meaningful one.

Cyborg

Who cares? DS2 is a great game but not good as DS1, still Ive enjoyed it more than all the other games released this year and maybe 2013.

DS2 has a lot of issues ( to many bosses, not hard enough, lame bosses) but it is still realy good.

I would totally lose it.

It's a good thing that Sony are making some smart moves this generation then right? They would be STUPID to try and do a Souls game alone

Its not even teasing anymore lol

Simbah

Neo Member
Why on earth would they put more effort on a title that has no chance of outselling Dark Souls? If Demon Souls 2 is indeed on the way I bet From Software isn't the developer. If FS has a "A-Team" they are probably working on next-gen multi-platform Souls-game.

Top Bottom