• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Dark Souls 2 really made by a B-Team? Also, Demon's Souls 2 speculation.

I'm sure Sony would be quite happy having an exclusive Souls game, but from a 'creative' standpoint, I'm still struggling to think of a reason why the game needs to be made. I think it suffers from a fundamental redundancy, in that Dark Souls is a continuation of the original ideas and design concepts of Demon's Souls. Whether you prefer DeS over DaS is neither here nor there, the question is whether there is enough of a difference between the two to justify the game being made.

It seems to me that any new idea they could think of for DeS 2, could quite easily fit in the Dark Souls universe. So then, why not just make another Dark Souls game rather than keeping two franchises going that are essentially the same?

Dark Souls universe is getting stale. If you look at DS2 and see the amount of enemy types, weapons, armour, heck even bosses and lore is re used its clear they are running out of ideas.

DeS on the other hand still has many areas where its lore can be explored and to many it had a more intriguing world.

Anyway, I will repeat it again. The game could very well be a new IP or Souls series.

Okay, but is it well known outside of the fanbase? Take into account that as of 2013 the PS3 worldwide user base was something like, what, 77 million or so? That's not really that great a seller in terms of total market penetration. I really don't think the brand is a system seller quite yet.

A next gen Souls game will definitely be an attractive exclusive to the existing fanbase as well as rpg fans.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls universe is getting stale. If you look at DS2 and see the amount of enemy types, weapons, armour, heck even bosses and lore is re used its clear they are running out of ideas.

DeS on the other hand still has many areas where its lore can be explored and to many it had a more intriguing world.

Although I agree that the reuse of a lot of stuff is to DS2's detriment and it was a shame they felt the need to tie it to the previous game (they should've just kept the name but started from scratch), what leads you to believe they would have come up with any fresh armour, bosses, enemy types or weapons for DeS2 over DS2...?

A next gen Souls game will definitely be an attractive exclusive to the existing fanbase as well as rpg fans.

No doubt. You replied to a discussion specifically talking about DeS2 being a system seller, though.

leadbelly

Banned

Anyway, I will repeat it again. The game could very well be a new IP or Souls series.

I've not yet payed Dark Souls 2, but isn't the 'world' of Dark Souls 2 different from Dark Souls 1? The story and Lore are not related?

As I said, what game you prefer is irrelevant. The problem is more one of identity. In terms of gameplay mechanics and design philosophy, Dark Souls is a direct continuation of Demon's Souls.

Although I agree that the reuse of a lot of stuff is to DS2's detriment and it was a shame they felt the need to tie it to the previous game (they should've just kept the name but started from scratch), what leads you to believe they would have come up with any fresh armour, bosses, enemy types or weapons for DeS2 over DS2...?

No doubt. You replied to a discussion specifically talking about DeS2 being a system seller, though.

Simple fact that the lore would be a lot different, allowing more creative freedom. Its obvious stuff like Black Knight weapons would not exist in DeS and clearly shows the reuse of assets. I mean it doesn't even make sense why they would be their since the game takes place long after DS1.

A next gen Souls game would of course be a system seller to many people including myself.

I've not yet payed Dark Souls 2, but isn't the 'world' of Dark Souls 2 different from Dark Souls 1? The story and Lore are not related?

As I said, what game you prefer is irrelevant. The problem is more one of identity. In terms of gameplay mechanics and design philosophy, Dark Souls is a direct continuation of Demon's Souls.

The world is different. The lore is pretty much re used even down to the bosses.

I don't see whats the problem? Yes of course the gameplay and design philosophy are the same, after all they are still part of the same series: Souls. The lore, the world design, enemy design, character design, boss design will all be different.

Anyway as I said a million times it could very well be a new Ip or Souls again yet it seems its just going in one ear and coming out the other.

J-Rod

It seems like From must have a handful of individuals still with them from all the way back to 15 years ago, because the unique spooky and depressing atmosphere from kings field has continued on from then.

jaosobno

M°°nblade;109462114 said:
Except ... Sony is not in a position that it needs to buy a strong third party exclusive for the PS4.

Demon's souls 2 doesn't exist, simply because no one needs it to exist. It's just a wet dream.

Sony is co-developing so I don't believe that they are paying for every single development cost.

Some sort of exclusive PS4 sequel of DeS does exist (it's been heavily implied by DemonNite - Sony employee), perhaps not in the name of "Demon's Souls 2", but in the worst case it's a spiritual successor.

leadbelly

Banned
I don't see whats the problem? Yes of course the gameplay and design philosophy are the same, after all they are still part of the same series: Souls. The lore, the world design, enemy design, character design, boss design will all be different.

Demon's Souls is its own IP. One owned by Sony.

I just don't see the point in From creating a Demon's Souls sequel when they could quite easily do what they want to do with the Dark Souls franchise.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Simple fact that the lore would be a lot different, allowing more creative freedom. Its obvious stuff like Black Knight weapons would not exist in DeS and clearly shows the reuse of assets. I mean it doesn't even make sense why they would be their since the game takes place long after DS1.

A next gen Souls game would of course be a system seller to many people including myself.

You're missing my point, man.

They essentially have complete freedom with the
rise and fall of kingdoms
. They could've literally done anything they wanted and didn't. I don't think it being attached to DeS lore instead would make a difference, they would've just reused assets from DeS lore instead (for whatever reason).

As I pointed out, I was discussing having doubts about the other poster's assertion that it was going to be an actual "System Seller". I assume we were talking Halo scale, not niche fan base level.

The world is different. The lore is pretty much re used even down to the bosses.

From Dark Souls, maybe. However, they have obvious form for reusing assets, so who knows if they would just reuse DeS bosses in a sequel? I don't see why a sequel to DeS would necessarily inspire From more than it did a sequel to DS1. It's much of a muchness, isn't it?

You're missing my point, man.

They essentially have complete freedom with the
rise and fall of kingdoms
. They could've literally done anything they wanted and didn't. I don't think it being attached to DeS lore instead would make a difference, they would've just reused assets from DeS lore instead (for whatever reason).

As I pointed out, I was discussing having doubts about the other poster's assertion that it was going to be an actual "System Seller". I assume we were talking Halo scale, not niche fan base level.

From Dark Souls, maybe. However, they have obvious form for reusing assets, so who knows if they would just reuse DeS bosses in a sequel? I don't see why a sequel to DeS would necessarily inspire From more than it did a sequel to DS1. It's much of a muchness, isn't it?

No, I think they intentionally wanted to connect the two games in obvious ways. That straightaway restricted their creativity. They could very well have re used DeS assets but Sony would not do a DeS without Miyazaki and his team and I have complete faith they will/would not do the same.

I actually think the project is a new D____ Souls.

You must be completely delusional if you thin the Souls series is like Halo. Furthermore not every exclusive title needs to a big system seller. Library is the real system seller over the long term and a next gen Souls game is a notable exclusive to have especially when there are millions of Souls fans.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You must be completely delusional if you thin the Souls series is like Halo.

What has happened here (as I've alluded to twice already), is that our conversation started when you leapt on to a post that I made in reply to someone else without understanding the context of the discussion. The poster suggested that DeS2 would be a PS4 "system seller", to which I explained that I find it highly unlikely beyond the already existing Souls fan base.

Here is the post.

Now, regarding our separate discussion: what makes you think that From won't repeat stuff from DeS in DeS2, when they have done that very thing in the Dark series?

Why would they not connect DeS2 to DeS1?

What has happened here (as I've alluded to twice already), is that our conversation started when you leapt on to a post that I made in reply to someone else without understanding the context of the discussion. The poster suggested that DeS2 would be a PS4 "system seller", to which I explained that I find it highly unlikely beyond the already existing Souls fan base.

Here is the post.

Now, regarding our separate discussion: what makes you think that From won't repeat stuff from DeS in DeS2, when they have done that very thing in the Dark series?

Why would they not connect DeS2 to DeS1?

I see. Well it will definitely sell systems even if people have never played Souls if its a great looking next gen rpg. How many is something very difficult to caluclate (unless your some massive franchise like FF that gives substantial hardware boosts) let alone predict.

If Miyazaki and his team are working on it then yeah there would be connections but they would be very subtle.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I see. Well it will definitely sell systems even if people have never played Souls if its a great looking next gen rpg. How many is something very difficult to caluclate (unless your some massive franchise like FF that gives substantial hardware boosts) let alone predict.

Which is why I made it clear that I was merely supposing and happy to be proven wrong :)

When I hear the term "system seller" I think Halo, I think GTA (pre IV); the big stuff that even Joe Strawman Public would've heard of. Souls is still relatively niche. It may shift units, but I doubt it'd be on the level that the poster suggested. He seems to think it's the answer to all of Sony's problems. XD

ElFly

Are we really discussing the lore of a game that does not exist, and how it is better than the lore in Dark 2?

ElFly

Dark Souls is still relatively niche, but the only thing that took it out of its niche is its multiplatformism.

We don't know the details on the Namco publishing deal, but Sony would probably have to offer a helluva of a deal to compete with a game that sells in three different platforms.

Stranger things have happened. IMHO Miyazaki was just tired of making games about zombies with swords in castles and chose to do something else.

Robot Pants

IMHO Miyazaki was just tired of making games about zombies with swords in castles and chose to do something else.

This isn't the case. He didn't want to be taken out of his position for the Souls series. I believe he even said this in an interview somewhere.

Dark Souls is still relatively niche, but the only thing that took it out of its niche is its multiplatformism.

We don't know the details on the Namco publishing deal, but Sony would probably have to offer a helluva of a deal to compete with a game that sells in three different platforms.

Stranger things have happened. IMHO Miyazaki was just tired of making games about zombies with swords in castles and chose to do something else.

I think Miyazaki just wanted to work with his team again, Sony possibly offered funding and proposed the collab and the team probably liked it and so went ahead.

I think theres little point speculating stuff like this though since we are never going to get any concrete conclusion anytime soon.

I was hoping more people would read the OP but people just read Demons Souls 2 and B-Team in the title.

Well at least the information is out there now :)

squadr0n

I was hoping more people would read the OP but people just read Demons Souls 2 and B-Team in the title.

Well at least the information is out there now :)

I read the OP, not once does the article mention Demons Souls 2. Its not until the OP posted his own comment at the bottom when the thread to DeSouls2 was made. But there is no debate which Dark Souls is better lol, DS2 is nowhere near as impressive and engaging as the original. The amount of new people on the title is pretty revealing imo.

I read the OP, not once does the article mention Demons Souls 2.

? It does. I wrote:
I tried to look up those “big 7”, but they seem to have not worked on any new From Software game since they finished Dark Souls 1. Maybe detective GAF can help me out with that. This is getting into speculation territory, but assuming they haven’t left the company or retired, they may be working on something with former director Hidetaka Miyazaki. The much rumoured Demon’s Souls 2 comes to mind, with Sony’s Japan Studio providing the necessary backup, that usually Form’s “Technical Department” would do, or maybe he’s still in the planning stages for something else and the others will join in when they’ve completely wrapped up Dark Souls 2. Again, speculation.

(--)

Not much really, but a few overlaps, mostly on Dark Souls 2 fo course. More importantly though, what all of these lists clearly show is that the prominent developers or the "big 7" have not appeared in an title since Dark Souls 1 and feeds the rumours that Miyazaki is working on something big like Demon's Souls 2 even more.

Eidan

Negative.
One should never ever minimize hit box degradation, the 'nerfafacation' of bosses nor the lose of atmosphere.

These are some of the hallmarks of a Souls game and are championed by all that adore it.

Hit boxes? That's what you come up with when I say the game are essentially the same?

Bahatmaan

Neo Member
I think Miyazaki just wanted to work with his team again, Sony possibly offered funding and proposed the collab and the team probably liked it and so went ahead.

I think theres little point speculating stuff like this though since we are never going to get any concrete conclusion anytime soon.

In a lot of cases, it's pretty obvious that the team for Dark Souls II was the B-team. The environments were short and a bit lackluster, the story was a retread of the first game, and the enemy encounters relied very heavily on forcing you into fights against multiple enemies with an archer shooting at you to retain a sense of difficulty. The devs were being conservative, and it shows. Dark Souls II is a good game, but it feels too much like Dark Souls 1.5.

I'm hoping for good things from Miyazaki, though. It's plain that it's his vision that makes the Souls games what they are.

In a lot of cases, it's pretty obvious that the team for Dark Souls II was the B-team. The environments were short and a bit lackluster, the story was a retread of the first game, and the enemy encounters relied very heavily on forcing you into fights against multiple enemies with an archer shooting at you to retain a sense of difficulty. The devs were being conservative, and it shows. Dark Souls II is a good game, but it feels too much like Dark Souls 1.5.

I'm hoping for good things from Miyazaki, though. It's plain that it's his vision that makes the Souls games what they are.

I agree. Too much reiteration and several areas its a downgrade from DS. It definitely feels like the team looked at DeS and DkS and tried to imitate them but couldn't.

Also from recent interviews it seems to me like Miyazaki wants to make something new.

What I want to know is did Miyazaki refuse to make DS2, or did he already have plans and so couldn't par take in DS2's development.

Oemenia

Banned

On the other hand you've got a fanbase that dick-waves everything including the faults of the series.

I remember the talk of an easier mode sent GAF into meltdown.

On the other hand you've got a fanbase that dick-waves everything including the faults of the series.

I remember the talk of an easier mode sent GAF into meltdown.

Well fanboys are going to be fanboys. However, I do hate the elitism in the community, well that goes for any community.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There's been about as much actual talk about it as there has Shenmue 3. Just some "We know people want it and we want to make it." lip service. Then you have Atlus saying it's "100% not ever happening."

Hold on to that feelin' though

You do know Demonite has hinted several times of a spiritual successor... Demonite quell the anger in all of us gaffers!

There's been about as much actual talk about it as there has Shenmue 3. Just some "We know people want it and we want to make it." lip service. Then you have Atlus saying it's "100% not ever happening."

Hold on to that feelin' though

Nah its nothing like that.

Numerous insiders have out right just said its in the works several times.

Oh and what would Atlus know about a game developed by Sony and FROM lol

F4r0_Atak

I don't doubt they're making another game, I just doubt it's DeS2. Sony has no money for moneyhats and the PS4's already won.

I know lots of people already said that, but... the rumor says that Japan Studio (SCEJ) is co-developing the game with From Software's main team.

500+ hours on Dark Souls
90+ on Dark Souls 2 PC already

Disrespecting any of the developers who had anything to do with any game of this series by calling them an inferior team is ridiculous. Both game are great and both have their faults as no doubt Beast Souls will have as well.

BigDug13

I know lots of people already said that, but... the rumor says that Japan Studio (SCEJ) is co-developing the game with From Software's main team.

Was the HUGE thread already discussing this not good enough? Why bump an old thread when there is a new thread with new info?

500+ hours on Dark Souls
90+ on Dark Souls 2 PC already

Disrespecting any of the developers who had anything to do with any game of this series by calling them an inferior team is ridiculous. Both game are great and both have their faults as no doubt Beast Souls will have as well.

~1000 hours in Dark Souls 1.
~250 h in Dark Souls 2.

It would take you ~20 minutes to read the OP and find out that it doesn't disrespect the developer in any way, and that our speculation turned out to be true, even though the upcoming Miyazaki game probably won't be DeS, but Beast Souls or whatever.

Otherwise, everything has been said here. Somebody please lock the thread. Thanks.

Sentenza

That surprises you?
Tuco walked a fine line constantly, lol.

eFsBeDJ.gif
Can't really say I feel like I ever did, but mods apparently agree with you, so there's that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit goes to Sal Paradise for doing all the work.

Please read the OP and not just the title :)

What do you guys think? Personally, I find it interesting how Dark Souls 2 lacks the important programmers and much of the design team, arguably the area in which Dark Souls 2 is lacking.

Also it may suggest that Miyazaki and his team may of have started development on their new project (which may be Demons Souls 2, or a new IP or even a new Souls game) as soon as dark Souls PTD was finished: October 2012.

There was a lot of talk on who created the image below and I foolishly did not take the time to look it up, so I will take the time now to highlight and accredit Neogaf user: Kazaam

for this wonderful graph.

fbKR63j.jpg

Haha. I wrote that analysis nearly a year ago, and looking through some of the replies now really makes me laugh. ;) A few weeks after posting this, first the "Project Beast" images showed up, and then Bloodborne got officially announced. In the beta they later found a boss quoting a famous Demon's Souls "saying".

Meanwhile, the DKS2 team released 3 DLCs, which made the game much better IMO, but also had some questionable game design in a few areas. Either way, I think the DLCs showed that they could have made a decent sequel to Dark Souls if they have had more time & experience.

Either way, the controversial "B-Team" term can still found all over the Souls message boards, and there's even a "You Died" mod, where the death message is replaced with "Thanks B-Team".

To this day From is trying to improve DKS2 with tons of patches, a ring to eliminate Soul Memory was introduced & they announced a new version of the game for PS4 etc. I finished playing through the new content of the recent patch on PS3 two days ago & sadly had to deal with an annoying bug involving the new NPC.

Now, I just watched through the IGN's "Making Bloodborne" video & spotted Demon's & Dark Souls 1 lead programmer Jun Ito, one of the "big 7" guys (see OP) that was not working on DKS2.

I know the recent BB footage got some criticism for not looking "next gen" enough or whatever to some, but I still believe that Miyazaki & his team can bring back the great atmosphere & level design of DeS & DKS1, which was clearly missing from DKS2 for me.

So yeah, sorry to bring this old topic back, but I really felt the need to close it in a way. :p

Derpcrawler

Am I the only one who liked Dark Souls 2 more than Dark Souls 1? I don't know, but it seemed to me that the world of DS2 was much richer, more NPCs around with more side stories and lore, more areas to explore, good mix of "nice" and "dark" zones. To be honest, the only nice zone I can remember from Dark Souls 1 is Anor Londo, everything else was just depressing most of the time.

The zone diversity with different themes in DS2 is much better IMO and main reason why I liked game more I think.

Am I the only one who liked Dark Souls 2 more than Dark Souls 1? I don't know, but it seemed to me that the world of DS2 was much richer, more NPCs around with more side stories and lore, more areas to explore, good mix of "nice" and "dark" zones. To be honest, the only nice zone I can remember from Dark Souls 1 is Anor Londo, everything else was just depressing most of the time.

The zone diversity with different themes in DS2 is much better IMO and main reason why I liked game more I think.

Nothing wrong with liking the added diversity DS2 brought, I definitely agree with you there. But in terms of how fleshed out each area is and its cohesiveness with the rest of the world the older two are ahead.

Haha. I wrote that analysis nearly a year ago, and looking through some of the replies now really makes me laugh. ;) A few weeks after posting this, first the "Project Beast" images showed up, and then Bloodborne got officially announced. In the beta they later found a boss quoting a famous Demon's Souls "saying".

Meanwhile, the DKS2 team released 3 DLCs, which made the game much better IMO, but also had some questionable game design in a few areas. Either way, I think the DLCs showed that they could have made a decent sequel to Dark Souls if they have had more time & experience.

Either way, the controversial "B-Team" term can still found all over the Souls message boards, and there's even a "You Died" mod, where the death message is replaced with "Thanks B-Team".

To this day From is trying to improve DKS2 with tons of patches, a ring to eliminate Soul Memory was introduced & they announced a new version of the game for PS4 etc. I finished playing through the new content of the recent patch on PS3 two days ago & sadly had to deal with an annoying bug involving the new NPC.

Now, I just watched through the IGN's "Making Bloodborne" video & spotted Demon's & Dark Souls 1 lead programmer Jun Ito, one of the "big 7" guys (see OP) that was not working on DKS2.

I know the recent BB footage got some criticism for not looking "next gen" enough or whatever to some, but I still believe that Miyazaki & his team can bring back the great atmosphere & level design of DeS & DKS1, which was clearly missing from DKS2 for me.

So yeah, sorry to bring this old topic back, but I really felt the need to close it in a way. :p

Yup I watched the video too and when I saw Jun Ito come up it pretty much solidified the fact that this is the original main leads working BB. And my excitement is increasing because of it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I somehow lost this thread when it was first posted, but it was a great read and a great analysis! Makes me really looking forward to Bloodborne!

jimboton

Not the only one, but certainly one of the few. Losing the tight interconnected design for unrestricted teleporting around didn't do the series any favours. That's the main thing for me.

Dark Souls 2 had overall less interesting worlds, but it really made up for it with the DLC. And arguably the combat is more varied and tighter. People will always prefer the earlier game, but it's quite insulting to throw around the "B team" thing. If this is what From creates with their less experienced guys, we have tons of nice games to look forward to.

Comparing Bloodborne to other FROM console titles, its pretty clear it is next gen. Especially in the effects and geometry area. Don't think I've ever seen a game with this much " stuff " on screen at one time. Shit is everywhere, in nearly every scene. The art direction is phenomenal. The blood sprays that pool on the ground and then reflect off the environment and lighting. The various hair effects and such on the enemies. Cloth physics. Blood collects on the players character and shines off the environment. Etc. Etc.

When you really watch this game, you can tell its a next-gen leap compared to old Souls games. The best a souls game looked last gen was DKS2 with all kinds of mods on the PC. But that was just in terms of a cleaner IQ. Bloodborne will always have the edge in what is original to this game, which is the geometry and art direction and effects and such not present in the older titles.

Miyazaki himself already stated he was just a supervisor over DSK2 and not much involved with it.

Tailzo

I remember Dark Souls 2 supposedly didn't have returning mobs, making grinding harder. Was this correct? Is it changed in the ps4 version?

I might be remembering this wrong.

Uthred

One of the reasons I wanted to post this thread was to inform people.

Are you kidding? Every single thread about Dark Souls II is peppered with "B team" nonsense, you'd need to have had your head under a rock not to know about this stuff. I've zero issues with people not liking DS2 (I mean people are allowed to be wrong ;) ) but pushing the idea that it was worked on by a sub-par team (as B intrinstically implies) as opposed to simply a different team always feels a little, intellectually dishonest perhaps? Why not refer to the teams in a more value netural manner? e.g. Team Miyazaki and Team Shibuya/Tanimura (or to save people the onerous task of typing more letters, TM and TST)

The OP, which seems familiar, was it pulled from one of the other DS2 threads? Is a mix of decent fact finding and wild speculation, the latter often revealing, I dont want to use the term agenda, so lets say the posters, perhaps unconscious, bias e.g. " I’m no game developer, but all of this may indeed explain the change in atmosphere, the less organic gaming world, as well as the unbalanced PVP. "..and the lack of veteran developers is apparent as well. Is both entirely subjective and does even really make sense. "The less organic gaming world" was a design decision, not a result of a "lack of veteran developers" (and also plays into the the idea that an interconnected world is intrinsically better as opposed to simply a style some prefer)

Edit: Ah just realised its a necro, thats what I get for not paying attention to the date in the OP

Top Bottom