• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Undertaker the all-time greatest striker in WWF/WWE?

Taker is probably the most overrated wrestler of all time. He had countless shit matches. The fact he got good at the end when he only worked a handful of times a year doesn’t excuse the years of shit.

Taker is probably the most overrated wrestler of all time. He had countless shit matches. The fact he got good at the end when he only worked a handful of times a year doesn't excuse the years of shit.

giphy.gif

DynamicG

Taker is probably the most overrated wrestler of all time. He had countless shit matches. The fact he got good at the end when he only worked a handful of times a year doesn't excuse the years of shit.

I don't think Taker is in the top 10 of all time, but he got good long before the end. At first he was all gimmick, but then as the Bikertaker he really picked up and had some great matches. He was likely good even before that but he was usually stuck with awful workers.

I don't think Taker is in the top 10 of all time, but he got good long before the end. At first he was all gimmick, but then as the Bikertaker he really picked up and had some great matches. He was likely good even before that but he was usually stuck with awful workers.

The underseller period is the worst by far. He was absolutely repulsive in that era.

He was only good from about 2006 or so. Basically the less you see him. Taker on PPV every month was just death. He had far more shit matches than good.

DynamicG

The underseller period is the worst by far. He was absolutely repulsive in that era.

He was only good from about 2006 or so. Basically the less you see him. Taker on PPV every month was just death. He had far more shit matches than good.

First Brock series is on 02, so you are about 4 years off. He was having good to great matches in the late 90s as well.

DynamicG

I will never understand WHY people enjoy WWE. never.

If this is meant in general, I just really enjoy sweaty men in sparkly hot pants play-fighting. If this is about the IWC and WWE being mainstream then I only truly enjoy matches from Titanes in El Ring or the first UWF before Tiger Mask quit wearing the mask.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
same. do they not know it's fucking fake?

It's not fake. It's scripted.

I hope you don't enjoy movies or TV shows or else you'd be a huge hypocrite.

Please take your poverty drive-by argument out of this thread, thanks.

I'm in the camp that "Dude legitimately hitting other dude" isn't impressive. Although, back in the day Mick Foley said he'd prefer an opponent actually hitting him to make it look good (ala Vader) than someone not hitting him and it looking really shitty. But that's Mick, and we all know how he felt re: self-preservation. :p

I agree with Bret Hart the most. The most impressive part of his career is that he never injured anyone else. It still sours me to this day that he was taken out of wrestling by a no-talent, flash-in-the-pan hack like Bill Goldberg. It's easy to make something like the Spear look "impressive" when you're just legitimately fucking the other guy up.

It's all about the sound effects behind the punches, an attitude era classic
Taker was all about "DOW!"
Foley is like "HAAAJAA"
Trips hitting them with the triple "DOOSH"

This one got me. It's so damn true,

First Brock series is on 02, so you are about 4 years off. He was having good to great matches in the late 90s as well.

The brock series was good. That doesn’t mean the entire period was good. For every brock match you got half a dozen shit matches.

It's not fake. It's scripted.

I hope you don't enjoy movies or TV shows or else you'd be a huge hypocrite.

Please take your poverty drive-by argument out of this thread, thanks.

Wrestling is fake and anyone who pretends it isn’t is seriously messed up.

Scripted means it’s fake. Game of Thrones is scripted and fake and so is wrestling.

It’s pretty hard to understand.

New Japan, that’s easy.

I think this does a decent job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

It's not about it being a "real" contest, any more than it's about people really dying in Game of Thrones. It's a long-running show where you get to know and become attached to characters over years. It also has an impressive athletic and performance component.

And if you're really into it, there's the meta analysis of the business itself, where you think about and judge who's getting "pushed," who should get pushed, and the quality of the decisions made behind the scenes.

I get why it's not for everyone, but people being elitist about it expose themselves for being tryhard more than anything else, IMO.

How are we qualifiing best striker in wrestling?

Person who throws the most realistic fake punches or person who throws the most real punches?

DynamicG

Are you telling me this is entertainment, but the hazards are real?

I hear rumors that bodies have been broken.

How are we qualifiing best striker in wrestling?

Person who throws the most realistic fake punches or person who throws the most real punches?

The thread flirted with that discussion but never really came back to it. I see it from the most realistic fake punches direction.

DynamicG

Do Lariats count as strikes? Cause technically Stan Hansen worked WWWF, although he wasn't throwing these guys out at that time. He was just breaking necks.

lMbFcF5.gif

fafe8ccc3f1c473f711ced442aa84830e2c1d34a_hq.gif

DeathPeak

Hogan/Michaels is Summerslam 2005. It's a weird show overall with The Custody of Dominick ladder match and Orton killing Taker. I'll need to look up the Rey spot, but I know it's a remake of an older spot with Shelton Benjamin instead.
Edit: Rey spot is the January 29th 2010 Smackdown

Thanks, I appreciate this!

Foggy

Easy mistake, I've seen that gif attributed to her all over the place for some reason.

It's a shame she retired for college, but it's common for a lot of young Japanese female wrestlers to bow out at that age. Sometimes they come back so hopefully we'll see Yuhi again. She had legit strikes, was able to german suplex Aja Kong, and did some really cool high flyer stuff.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Think the people who make fake shit look real are impressive. I think the people willing to take a real punch are impressive. I don't see how anyone could give a shit about the guys who really punched people.
Not that I'm morally oppossed, but the guy taking the punch is clearly the cool one.

MC Safety

Also, "best pure striker" is something the announcers say when the talent has no talent.

It's like when they say Naomi is the most athletic woman's wrestler.

Sheroking

Further to what Staccat0 posted: It takes no talent to potato people.

Celebrating people for throwing real punches is sort of fucked up. Between what we're starting to understand about CTE and all the pain management/substance abuse problems in Pro Wrestling, I don't like looking at ANYTHING that seems snug now.

There is a reason they did not put him in Brawl for it All

Because they were planning on Doctor Death winning?

Top Bottom