• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Undertaker the all-time greatest striker in WWF/WWE?

Fantomex

Scott Hall Forever

hallpunch.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
WWE hasn’t been fun for years.

The people watching are hoping it’ll be fun but know deep down it won’t be.

Speak for yourself.

NXT. The Brits. Owens, AJ, Nakamura, Miz doing career best heel work, Zayn, fucking Strauman getting legit over, Rollins, Reigns improving in ring constantly, Cena, Cruiserweights getting their own show...

If you can't find some enjoyment somewhere in WWE, that's on you. Not them. If you seriously bitch about shit after one of the best MITB matches ever, with four of the best Indy guys ever headlining...

Wait. Sorry. My bad. Ratings are down. Clearly the product is the worst ever.

Honestly, as great as JR is (and he really was/is), I always took that as more of a line from JR.

Now, if you want to sell me on the Undertaker as one of the greatest all-time great WRESTLING gimmicks of all-time (I say WRESTLING in all caps BC despite all of Vince's Sports entertainment propaganda over the last 30+ years, it has been a total/utter failure), yeah, I'm on board.

Speak for yourself.

NXT. The Brits. Owens, AJ, Nakamura, Miz doing career best heel work, Zayn, fucking Strauman getting legit over, Rollins, Reigns improving in ring constantly, Cena, Cruiserweights getting their own show...

If you can't find some enjoyment somewhere in WWE, that's on you. Not them. If you seriously bitch about shit after one of the best MITB matches ever, with four of the best Indy guys ever headlining...

Great post.

All this "WWE is bad" is Brian Alvarez shitposting/Meltzer Japan fetish/"Attitude Era beats everything" negativity. I casually watch now after watching since the 80's and the wrestling top to bottom is better than ever. WWE just put on a PPV that had 3 great matches (one of them with women) and great mix of veterans, home grown talent, and indy darlings.

For like the first 10 years Taker was fed shitty wrestlers and giants apart from a few isolated feuds like the Mankind one, but his gimmick was great at least. Biker Taker on the other hand going on about his yard, ugh. That's the worst Taker period and probably coincided with them going on about how great a striker he was. He was good when he went back to being the Dead Man though.

Kane is better though. Come at me.

Hansen is shit, he is just really hitting guys without giving a fuck about if he hurts them.

Bullshit. He was undoubtedly one of the hardest hitters in wrestling (compounded by his terrible eyesight), but Hansen knew what he was doing and if he was as reckless as people make out the list of wrestlers he had injured would be WAY longer. For example, here's Hansen punishing the Blackhearts for taking liberties with the AJPW trainees;

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/795804711886684160

That's not giving a fuck.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Shibata is unfair, considering he was actually headbutting people so hard he permanently disabled himself :/

OP Undertaker isn't even close, even if we're just talking WWE.

Off the top of my head:
Steve Blackman
Hideo Itami
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Bryan Danielson
Tajiri
Bret Hart
Vader
Arn Anderson

And especially Nakamura, who's really good at making his strikes look like they're hitting full force when they're just very clever sideswipes.

LankyAmusedArcticduck.gif

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/pro-wrestlings-shinsuke-nakamura-and-the-bomaye-knee

I love the way the thread title specifically says WWF/WWE, yet most of the responses are vanilla indy midgets or obscure Japanese nobodies.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Speak for yourself.

AJ and Nakamura are in no way doing 'career best' work. They're still leagues ahead of most of the roster though

FDC1

Bullshit. He was undoubtedly one of the hardest hitters in wrestling (compounded by his terrible eyesight), but Hansen knew what he was doing and if he was as reckless as people make out the list of wrestlers he had injured would be WAY longer. For example, here's Hansen punishing the Blackhearts for taking liberties with the AJPW trainees;

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/795804711886684160

That's not giving a fuck.

Pretty sure Hansen was half blind or something. Hot potating happened sometimes because he could barely see his opponent.

Edit: damn I misread your post, you mentionned it, sorry, I must be blind too.

Heroman

Banned
Great post.

All this "WWE is bad" is Brian Alvarez shitposting/Meltzer Japan fetish/"Attitude Era beats everything" negativity. I casually watch now after watching since the 80's and the wrestling top to bottom is better than ever. WWE just put on a PPV that had 3 great matches (one of them with women) and great mix of veterans, home grown talent, and indy darlings.
They did when?

Camwi

Shibata is unfair, considering he was actually headbutting people so hard he permanently disabled himself :/

OP Undertaker isn't even close, even if we're just talking WWE.

Off the top of my head:
Steve Blackman
Hideo Itami
Rowdy Roddy Piper
Bryan Danielson
Tajiri
Bret Hart
Vader
Arn Anderson

And especially Nakamura, who's really good at making his strikes look like they're hitting full force when they're just very clever sideswipes.

LankyAmusedArcticduck.gif

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/pro-wrestlings-shinsuke-nakamura-and-the-bomaye-knee

That was a fascinating read.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Kenny Omega is rising fast as one of my favs, he does great strikes, knees and he can sell really well too

FamiliarHardtofindAquaticleech-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_ojf1kc51oZ1s05wxzo1_400.gif

tumblr_ojf40fn1Dj1s05wxzo2_400.gif

Kenny+Omega+slaps+Okada.gif

a0jk57r2mx7y.gif

tumblr_orfpyhoOrK1s05wxzo1_400.gif

Have we forgotten Blackman or Shamrock?

Shamrock was too stiff and Blackman focused on striking with feet more so than hands.

Undertaker for me, is a yes. Although, Corbin is an early contender to get to that level. He's really doing a great job looking snug, the striking coach in NXT clearly doing a good job. Good old Seth.

Also, loved how snug Bret Hart looked as well.

Edit, okay, clearly people don't give a shit about staying on topic haha.

The Kree

Banned
My favorite punch of all time is the one Roddy Piper gave to Goldust after chashing him down in the white Bronco. I can't remember which PPV it was, but it looked like a shoot match.

My favorite punch of all time is the one Roddy Piper gave to Goldust after chashing him down in the white Bronco. I can't remember which PPV it was, but it looked like a shoot match.

WM11/2 before HBK/Bret Iron Man. Think it was 12. Loved that match as a kid, mental!

Shibata literally almost died and is retired

Yes, but there's a huge difference between punching and kicking people as a wrestler and legitimately head butting people like a fucking maniac and not getting the correct treatment for it like Shibata who is an incredibly rare case.

His vision was fucked and going months if not years ago, this was from more than a few headbutts which merely exacerbated the issue greatly.

Majukun

Best? Hands down Katsuyori Shibata. Too bad he gave himself potential brain damage on a shoot headbutt to Okada recently. He never pulled ANYTHING. Headbutts including the final one is at the bottom.

Shibata strikes
9xLOElI.gif
J5YFxmP.gif
E9EKn18.gif
YYbE4ZA.gif
JYEG3WJ.gif
yf4yqvw.gif
A3jcOo5.gif
6wDYMFb.gif
Xu9UzgJ.gif
M4UB9QT.gif

7nX8qHr.gif
tjPp4xA.gif

/Thread. There is no one greater than Katsuyori Shibata.

aren't we talking here about "work" punches?
it's relatively easy to make punches look good when you are actually punching someone..a different job entirely is making them look good but don't actually hit ,or do harm anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, but there's a huge difference between punching and kicking people as a wrestler and legitimately head butting people like a fucking maniac and not getting the correct treatment for it like Shibata who is an incredibly rare case.

His vision was fucked and going months if not years ago, this was from more than a few headbutts which merely exacerbated the issue greatly.

That's the point: he's not throwing worked blows, he's just hitting people. No kidding it looks real.

Majukun

WWE hasn’t been fun for years.

The people watching are hoping it’ll be fun but know deep down it won’t be.

depends on what you seek

booking is horrible,mostly because nothing really matters in the long run and wwe is more focused on making "moments" instead of long term coherent storylines..that's why leasnar defeated the streak and then lost to cena..or zack ryder (who never had a wrestlemania moment until then) won the intercontineal title at wrestlemania and then lost it one day later.

but qulity of matches wise this is a kind of great era..sure nt every single match is gold,but there are good matches when the right people are in the ring.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah they were pretty great, Scott hall and Lawler too (although that's cause Lawler was practically throwing real punches). But a good looking strike is only as good as the dude selling them. A good seller can make even the most halfassed strike look nasty.

As someone who stopped really following wrestling in, say, 2005 or so, and then passingly followed it throughout the years but never really watched, I thought it was so weird to come back and see the Undertaker being described as a "striker" and like "the best striker..." It seemed so bizarre to me, to see him doing these boxing moves for most of the match.

The Undertaker that I grew up with, from, say, 1991 - 2003, which was certainly his most iconic character and the one that he always went back to, wasn't known for striking. He had those iconic strikes, but he wasn't known for them. I think they branded him as a striker when he dropped the dead man gimmick and needed to focus on part of his arsenal as he got older.

Top Bottom