• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washed out colors when coming out of Xbox series x rest mode

jorgejjvr

Hey all, any idea why this happens?

I play Valhalla, put Xbox in rest mode, turn off TV. Come back to it, turn on TV, turn on Xbox, colors are washed out.

The fix is to hit the Xbox button, go to to Home, then press on to the game again, it fixes itself.

Any reason why this is happens? Any fix?

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Most likely a handshake issue. Sounds like the HDR signal is not recognized as such by the TV.

Don't think there is a fix other than possibly getting a TV or AVR update.
So I tried it again, happens every time with valhalla, not with sniper elite 5. Both are hdr10 games

So it's not a every game issue, some seem prone to it, some don't.

Also, never had this happen to me on PS5. But the entire PS5 is always on hdr, on Xbox the home menu is sdr, and games are hdr. Maybe that's why too? Can the main menu be set to hdr?

Strange

Last edited:
So I tried it again, happens every time with valhalla, not with sniper elite 5. Both are hdr10 games

Also, never had this happen to me on PS5. But the entire PS5 is always on hdr, on Xbox the home menu is sdr, and games are hdr. Maybe that's why too? Can the main menu be set to hdr?

Strange
Just don't play Assassin's Creed Valhalla. That actually solves several problems.

TLZ

Banned
Also I'm not sure what options your TV has for HDMI ports, but on my C6 LG I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 4k60 (forgot what it's called) on my ports to detect that signal. See if you have that turned on for that Xbox port. Some TVs only have that turned on for specific ports while other ports don't have the option.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Strange

As far as I know the menu can't be set to HDR.

That said, maybe the handshake issue is due to something related to Valhalla so it could be localized. I don't think there is something you can do.

jorgejjvr

Also I'm not sure what options your TV has for HDMI ports, but on my C6 LG I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 4k60 (forgot what it's called) on my ports to detect that signal. See if you have that turned on for that Xbox port. Some TVs only have that turned on for specific ports while other ports don't have the option.
Yeah got hdm 2.1 on, it's not a every game thing. Makes me feel some games have figured out better hdr than others

jorgejjvr

As far as I know the menu can't be set to HDR.

That said, maybe the handshake issue is due to something related to Valhalla so it could be localized. I don't think there is something you can do.
Yeah, I mean the fix isn't the worst thing ever, go home, click the game again. But still random that it happens in the first place, and it's not a every game thing

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yeah got hdm 2.1 on, it's not a every game thing. Makes me feel some games have figured out better hdr than others
In that case try turning off HDR for Valhalla if it has an in-game option to do so. If that works, just play it in SDR I guess.

TLZ

Banned
It doesn't unfortunately
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r646-2021-qled

'The HDMI 2.1 ports support full bandwidth HDMI 2.1, as we confirmed with the CRU. HDMI 1 and 2 support 4k @ 120Hz signals with up to 12-bit color depth and chroma 4:4:4, meaning it supports up to 48 Gbps'.

'The TCL R646 supports any resolution up to 4k @ 120Hz, as long as you set the HDMI Mode to 'HDMI 2.1' to reach the full bandwidth. It displays proper chroma 4:4:4 with 1080p and 4k signals at 60Hz, but it can't do it with any other signal. It accepts a 4k @ 120Hz signal in 10 or 12-bit color depth with chroma 4:4:4, but it doesn't properly display chroma 4:4:4 because text looks a bit fuzzier than what we would expect.'

You're sure XSX is using HDMI port 1 or 2 right? And HDMI 2.1 is turned on on 1/2?

In that case, maybe check the video setting on your Xbox under TV & display options > video fidelity & overscan. Mine's set at 10bit and standard. See if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Is the Xbox going straight into the TV? If theres no intermediate devices like a soundbar, amp or HDMI switch then it can only be the game itself or the cable I'd say. I would try swapping HDMI cables with another device, one that also carries a 4K HDR signal or that you know is at least a high speed class cable. I have HDR, colour space and other weird handshake HDMI issues with my soundbar and I have to restart it to fix it most of the time but sometimes I can fix it by just toggling HDR on and off.

I think since the XS menu isn't rendered in HDR you going out to the dashboard and back to the game is changing the signal back to SDR temporally and it fixes the issue. If its not a cable/device issue and is the software (AC:V) then probably thats the fastest/least invasive way to fix it anyway.

Last edited:

Quasicat

This is what I get every so often from my Series X. Just a quick reboot and it’s back to normal.
MvjAftP.jpg

jorgejjvr

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r646-2021-qled

'The HDMI 2.1 ports support full bandwidth HDMI 2.1, as we confirmed with the CRU. HDMI 1 and 2 support 4k @ 120Hz signals with up to 12-bit color depth and chroma 4:4:4, meaning it supports up to 48 Gbps'.

'The TCL R646 supports any resolution up to 4k @ 120Hz, as long as you set the HDMI Mode to 'HDMI 2.1' to reach the full bandwidth. It displays proper chroma 4:4:4 with 1080p and 4k signals at 60Hz, but it can't do it with any other signal. It accepts a 4k @ 120Hz signal in 10 or 12-bit color depth with chroma 4:4:4, but it doesn't properly display chroma 4:4:4 because text looks a bit fuzzier than what we would expect.'

You're sure XSX is using HDMI port 1 or 2 right? And HDMI 2.1 is turned on on 1/2?

In that case, maybe check the video setting on your Xbox under TV & display options > video fidelity & overscan. Mine's set at 10bit and standard. See if that makes any difference.
Using hdmi port 2, but with a switch, got both my PS5 and xsx hooked up to it, hdmi 1 is there for the sound bar, The only earc one

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Using hdmi port 2, but with a switch, got both my PS5 and xsx hooked up to it, hdmi 1 is there for the sound bar, they only earc one
Ah. Then maybe that's causing handshake issues? Try plugging Xbox directly into TV and check.

Last edited:

tuco11

Had this exact same issue happen wit my 55R617. I just powered cycled everything... Tv and Xbox. Unhooked HDMI cable and re-attached it. Seemed to do trick .

TLZ

Banned
Posted a video showing it

Ah I see. It only detects SDR after you turn off and on the Xbox and continue your game. Weird indeed. Have you tried turning off VRR and trying the same steps you did? Just to see if it had anything to do with it.

boomcrab

I have this exact same tv and it can be a little weird sometimes. Especially with vrr, when it's turned on the panel will flicker during certain gameplay segments. After you notice it'll drive you crazy. I first experienced it in ghostwire tokyo and now I look for it everywhere. I've read some Reddit threads and whatnot and it seems like a well known issue.
It's a shame really because the TVs great but vrr just causes all these issues so I'd recommend turning that off and see how it goes. Do it within the tv settings and not just the console. Good luck!

I sometimes get this on my Samsung Q90R. All I do is launch the game, go back to the dashboard and then resume the game. Usually that works. If that doesn’t work then I’ll turn game mode off and then back on.

jorgejjvr

I sometimes get this on my Samsung Q90R. All I do is launch the game, go back to the dashboard and then resume the game. Usually that works. If that doesn’t work then I’ll turn game mode off and then back on.
Yep, that's what I do too. Just not sure why it happens in the first place

Yep, that's what I do too. Just not sure why it happens in the first place
I’m honestly not sure but it must be some kind of HDR issue on the screen because it doesn’t happen on games that don’t support it.

I’ll be moving over the new OLED panel in the next few years. The Q90R is fine but these kinds of issues can be a bit annoying. Especially if it takes a few attempts at going to and from the Home Screen.

jorgejjvr

I’m honestly not sure but it must be some kind of HDR issue on the screen because it doesn’t happen on games that don’t support it.

I’ll be moving over the new OLED panel in the next few years. The Q90R is fine but these kinds of issues can be a bit annoying. Especially if it takes a few attempts at going to and from the Home Screen.
Yeah, but it also doesn't happen with every game

Also doesn't happen on PS5

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Slightly off-topic, but I have a different issue with standby mode:

Every now and then the audio will be out of sync when I come out of rest mode, it’s the same on my series S. Honestly I just disabled rest mode, it’s a minor annoyance at best but yeah, strange.

Does anyone else get this?

Hey all, any idea why this happens?

I play Valhalla, put Xbox in rest mode, turn off TV. Come back to it, turn on TV, turn on Xbox, colors are washed out.

The fix is to hit the Xbox button, go to to Home, then press on to the game again, it fixes itself.

Any reason why this is happens? Any fix?

FYI, the AC games have horrible HDR implementation. If things look great in other games, it will look like shit in an AC game.

E.g.

It's just a glitch with the game.
In Forza Horizon 5 every now and then when I go back into the game there is no sound. Just reboot and it's fine.

Top Bottom