• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Announced for Xbox One

jayzyikes.gif

Not exactly a selling point for me.

XCOM's isn't that too involved, either. So I don't see where the "boring" part comes in.

jayzyikes.gif

Not exactly a selling point for me.

Hate to rag on the game but if you are interested in the game for the combat don't be. Weapons are horribly unbalanced (rifles > everything else), your characters have zero skill management during encounters, positioning rarely matters, and the enemy AI is brain dead.

Played for about 10 hrs and basically ever single battle played out the same way. All characters crouch and shoot mindless, uninteresting enemies that charge directly at my squad. Wasn't fun or challenging, plus like I said while the lore and writing was solid the character models were hilariously bad.

If you want an RPG with interesting turn based combat mechanics pick up Divinity.

autoduelist

is this like a fallout "sequel" or something?

Wasteland preceded Fallout.

Fallout 1/2 were 'spiritual sequels' to Wasteland.

Fallout 3/Vegas were 'spiritual sequels' with a change in genre to Fallout 1/2.

Wasteland 2 is a sequel to Wasteland.

its a sequel to the prequel

Prequels generally mean something came out after the original, but is set before. Wasteland is not really a prequel to Fallout, since it was already long out when FO came.

Fjordson

is this like a fallout "sequel" or something?
Not really. The original Fallout was initially developed as a sequel to this original Wasteland, but it ended up becoming its own thing and more of just a spiritual successor to Wasteland. There are definitely similarities between this and the first two Fallouts, though.

Basically as EricTheCleric said more succinctly, you could call it a sequel to Fallout's prequel.

edit: jeez, beaten multiple times

Odrion

Banned
Oh wow, so they're going to straight up use Fallout's perk system?

Anyways, cool news, I'm curious to see how these guys pull off controller support.

fester

Banned
Highly unlikely. Pillars combat is real time with pause with tons of skills for every character and no AI presets or macros. Would be extremely challenging on a controller.

Wasteland 2's combat is a boring version of X-Com's essentially.

I'm not looking to deny anyone the opportunity to play a game, but I think it's good when games are designed to take advantage of certain platforms. If Wasteland 2 works on a console, great. If core features of Pillars require a PC, that's fine too. My fear would be these developers head down a "one size fits all" approach and we end up with the same situation we have with the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series - compromises made to design or UI to fit one particular system. Wasn't one of the reasons these Kickstarters were successful is because they were addressing a gap on the PC that companies like Bioware and Bethesda weren't filling?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice. Will buy.

Wonder if they will update the PC version with PBR as well?

Would love to play this on my Surface 4 as well when it launches.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All i gotta say is the PC version better be getting every damn update if they dont want to piss a bunch of people off. Kickstarter hardcore 'pc-only' game and everything as it was sold under. Cant wait for Wasteland 2, intense visceral action edition.
half joking

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do we have any numbers on W2 at the moment? Was it profitable post-Kickstarter?

This wasn't the case for Wasteland 2?

No, Inxile just wanted to escape from publisher demands and their indifference to games like this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not really. The original Fallout was initially developed as a sequel to this original Wasteland, but it ended up becoming its own thing and more of just a spiritual successor to Wasteland. There are definitely similarities between this and the first two Fallouts, though.

Basically as EricTheCleric said more succinctly, you could call it a sequel to Fallout's prequel.

edit: jeez, beaten multiple times

It's a sequel to Wasteland, the game that inspired Fallout. But generally yes, it's aiming for that Fallout 1 and 2 vibe.

Wasteland preceded Fallout.

Fallout 1/2 were 'spiritual sequels' to Wasteland.

Fallout 3/Vegas were 'spiritual sequels' with a change in genre to Fallout 1/2.

Wasteland 2 is a sequel to Wasteland.

Prequels generally mean something came out after the original, but is set before. Wasteland is not really a prequel to Fallout, since it was already long out when FO came.

its a sequel to the prequel

My first Fallout game was FO3 so I thought this was like one of those kick-starter-y games inspired by. doh. will keep an eye out on this one

Ah, hopefully a PS4 version is in the cards!

tbh I would be genuinely surprised if any of the ID@Xbox games mentioned today doesn't come over to the PS4 in some form. I'd expect both companies have been moneyhatting timed exclusivity for indies like crazy, but Sony seems to be perfectly happy in letting games that accepted a Microsoft moneyhat in, while vice versa is (generally speaking) not true.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Watch this be popular on consoles, and Wasteland 3 gets developed with consoles in mind. Holy hell i think rpgcodex would declare open Jihad on Inxile.

jesu

Wow, never saw that coming!
I never did buy for the PC, but I'm more than likely to play it now.

Eusis

Probably not because one of the things they most wanted to do with PoE was escape from having to make concessions for consoles.
Well, I would kind of like to see a return to the early 2000s and earlier mentality of games being developed for PC first, and made to work on consoles however they can manage. And these days you can probably have a reasonably matured take on such an approach versus some of the hack jobs we saw on 8-bit and 16-bit platforms.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Watch this be popular on consoles, and Wasteland 3 gets developed with consoles in mind. Holy hell i think rpgcodex would declare open Jihad on Inxile.

If they announce a console version of Torment before it releases that might actually happen.

Head.spawn

Kickstarted this and i'll be double dipping.

Awesome game and everyone I've recommended it to has enjoyed it as well. One of the few developers to absolutely deliver on their kickstarter promises and then go above and beyond.

Decado

Who is handling and funding the port? Would hate to see inexile spending resources on this. Hopefully a third party is involved an funding this. Would be very surprised if it sold well.

The UI will have to be rethought for a console release. I have in mind in particular the lore/description text box on the lower right. It's just too small for a TV.

draetenth

As long as the PC gets the same upgrades (and they should be going by the kickstarter comments) and it doesn't take away from being PC first, I don't really care if it's ported to consoles. Hopefully, the boost in sales will further solidify the chances of a Wasteland 3. I wonder if the Bard's Tale kickstarter will have console port stretch goals.

Kinthalis

Banned

Lol. no.

I am looking forward to the updates for my next playthrough. I guess they can make this work on consoles since it's turn based. Probably a bit akward to set up your peeps though without a mouse...

Durante

I can't imagine that this will play well without a reliable pointing device. We'll see.

Highly unlikely. Pillars combat is real time with pause with tons of skills for every character and no AI presets or macros. Would be extremely challenging on a controller.

Wasteland 2's combat is a boring version of X-Com's essentially.
That would be exactly my response to that question.

Another reason why RTwP is superior.

They should just pull a ff14 on these kinds of games and have kb+m functionality for the console versions. I'm sure Sony and MS want some kind of controller scheme though.

Top Bottom