• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Announced for Xbox One

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I can't imagine that this will play well without a reliable pointing device. We'll see.

That would be exactly my response to that question.

Another reason why RTwP is superior.

I think the torment poll settled this debate. Turn based for all.

Donrule01

Banned
Combat has never been truly fixed. Still have fights where the enemy goes so far away from you that you cant reach them with your move allotment and they just pummel you with damage from afar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Torment poll was rigged so that the devs could reaffirm the choice they already made without telling us.

The superior choice. Their only fault was not sticking with it and forgoing a poll with a foregone conclusion.

Somehow I think this is not going to sell terribly well on the Xbox. It's just too much of a PC game (and a retro PC game no less), and I feel that most people that really wanted to play this had already backed the kickstarter long ago.

Thanks for reminding me that my backer's box is sitting on my tablet and the game has only like 15 minutes logged on Steam, by the way.

Don't know the series at all, but turn based strategy/tactics on a current gen console is definitely enough to perk my ears up.

Sou Da

Can I get some context?

You'll probably get some smudboy esque whining instead.

The new Torment game had a poll to decide which type of combat system they would use and people went for what they felt was the better choice, leaving all stuck in the past behind.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You'll probably get some smudboy esque whining instead.

The new Torment game had a poll to decide which type of combat system they would use and people went for what they felt was the better choice, leaving all stuck in the past behind.

Man those smudboy videos are something else. Not a coherent argument to be found. Descenting into weird metaphysical semantics about how turn based breaks immersion.

jtb

Banned
Full voice is overrated and a blight on scripts.

Nah.

Shitty scripts are a blight on scripts, not voice acting.

Most RPGs don't have all that much writing to begin with but those that do would definitely benefit from voice acting.

I get it, it's impractical, it's expensive, people are forced/encouraged to write shorter scripts w/ full voice, it takes up ridiculous amount of space, etc. Though I'm not really sure how it can really be all that expensive... wouldn't you only need like 15-20 actors? How do people afford to record audiobooks? Your average fantasy audiobook probably has more words than an RPG script.

Whatever. I don't care. I want it, dammit! At very least, would be nice to have the option imo (again, I'm thinking audiobooks as that kind of model... pay more for voice acting)

(I'm not even saying I need to look at their faces, see their lips moving, etc. I don't give a shit about any of that. I just like hearing them speak more than one line)

So what makes this game so fun exactly? I hear a lot of people giving tons of praise towards it, but I really have no idea what it is about. I seen some videos on youtube but it looks like the kind of game you need to really play to get.

I am interested right now however.

keuja

Great news. Hopefully it is also ported to PS4. This game, Pillars, Divine divinity and modded GTA5 are the only games Im tempted to build a PC for...

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is the finished game worth playing? Reading some mixed stuff here and there since release.

It's solid. You could wait for the Unity 5 port but if you wanted to play a long RPG before Bloodborne comes out or something Wasteland 2 is as a worthy candidate as any.

Combat has never been truly fixed. Still have fights where the enemy goes so far away from you that you cant reach them with your move allotment and they just pummel you with damage from afar.

Maybe you need to level up more, in the first third of the game combat is pretty hard, but after the halfway point I didn't encounter any snipers that could outdistance my own snipers.

Like I said in the ID@Xbox thread I may actually get this. I backed the kickstarter but never actually played the game for any meaningful amount of time, 80 hours on my desktop was a bit intimidating. I would much prefer controller support, game is slow enough I think it can work.

hemtae

Great news. Hopefully it is also ported to PS4. This game, Pillars, Divine divinity and modded GTA5 are the only games Im tempted to build a PC for...

I doubt you'll need to build a PC for Divine Divinity, a 2002 game. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Pillars made it over. Might have to dumb down the combat and UI a bit but the core experience would be there. These consoles are using PC parts so porting the code over can't be that hard. It would be kind of funny seeing the new PC wrpg golden age on consoles. If they sell decently then maybe we'll get a little depth in our AAA RPGs. Good news for everyone.

draetenth

Lot's of salty RTwP fans in here. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if Pillars made it over. Might have to dumb down the combat and UI a bit but the core experience would be there. These consoles are using PC parts so porting the code over can't be that hard. It would be kind of funny seeing the new PC wrpg golden age on consoles. If they sell decently then maybe we'll get a little depth in our AAA RPGs. Good news for everyone.

Hasn't Obsidian been pretty adamant about it not being on consoles because they didn't want to dumb down the combat? At least, I think they've mentioned it somewhere (kickstarter?), but I could be wrong (and money talks...).

Hasn't Obsidian been pretty adamant about it not being on consoles because they didn't want to dumb down the combat? At least, I think they've mentioned it somewhere (kickstarter?), but I could be wrong (and money talks...).
Dumbing down whatever mechanic for consoles wouldn't have any effect on the PC version.

Lingitiz

Yeah I think it a rad as long as console versions don't mean fucking up the controls/ui for the pc versions. Wanna see these games and companies making some money.

There's nothing wrong with console versions as long as it doesn't take too many resources from the main team, and is developed after the fact, not in conjunction with the PC version. It should be designed for a PC interface first and then adapted later on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dumbing down whatever mechanic for consoles wouldn't have any effect on the PC version.

But that was one of the reasons they went to kickstarter in the first place. So they didnt have to work with consoles.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Quirks and Perks being added in to help establish personality is nice, though I'm pretty sure the precision strike is either an addition of the headshot mechanic, or simultaneous attacks being made to penetrate higher defense with lower tier weapons.

I'm curious to see how they wrangle all the potential buttons, the map control, and character movement on the X1 controller.

Kalamoj

Why should they dumb down the combat?

But that was one of the reasons they went to kickstarter in the first place. So they didnt have to work with consoles.
That sounds more like a statement to entice hardcore PC gamers to back the project. Would anyone care if a slightly dumbed down port was made a year after the PC version? Probably not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That sounds more like a statement to entice hardcore PC gamers to back the project. Would anyone care if a slightly dumbed down port was made a year after the PC version? Probably not.

I dont see what reason we have to not take such a statement at face value.

Kinthalis

Banned

IF it takes resources away from what could be a PC expansion or sequel, yes.

Volodja

I seriously didn't expect that.
Will see what they do with the PC version, even if I'm not sure I'm gonna replay such a long game anytime soon (or even not so soon).

Do cRPG's even have an audience on consoles? Serious question btw. I know of course there will be some people that buy them. But I mean enough to be profitable where devs would want to bring sequels and such to the platform.

Corpekata

Banned

I think people would question if that slightly dumbed down port was in fact a port and didn't affect the way the game was developed. We've already seen it in some PC centric games like Diablo 3 and Witcher 2 that clearly had design decisions meant to work with controllers even if they weren't debuting on consoles.

Hex

Banned
Amazing and classic game.
Everyone should play it and support it, I do not care which system they do it on.

z1ggy

One of the best RPGs in years. People go buy it. I finished it two times and i barely replay games...(the other one that i finished it a few times is obviously Demons Souls).

Top Bottom