• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

A skylake at 5+ ghz with 4 ghz ram at cl 12 or so would probably do it. Dat Ubisoft optimization

But hey you only need do get rid of the newest Windows Update!!!1

Jokes aside, it's weird they didn't include a single CPU-load reducing setting. Like amount of NPC's, or whatever, when clearly the game demands a lot of CPU - way more than GPU i would say.

Damerman

Help me GAF... I'm having trouble with my Dualshock 4. I can't get it to work with this game. I don't want to use a xinput wrapper, i just want the natural DS4 support. it works for mad max, but for some reason i can't switch the gamepad settings from xbox.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Had to get a refund for this. The intro mission played alright, but after that the game became a stuttering mess even with everything at the lowest settings, v-sync off, etc. My rig isn't the best out there, but I can usually play these open world games at medium to high settings with no hitches (including the first Watch Dogs). Maybe in the future I'll try it again when it's dirty cheap and I make some upgrades, I don't know.

I wasted close to 3 hours trying to optimize it then said fuck it. Even though I crossed the 2 hour threshold for the refund I explained my case and Steam thankfully accepted it.

I was tempted to get the Gold Edition of this from GMG for $60, but I'm probably going to wait to pick this up mid next year. Hopefully, performance will be better by then. I have too many games in my backlog.

Had to get a refund for this. The intro mission played alright, but after that the game became a stuttering mess even with everything at the lowest settings, v-sync off, etc. My rig isn't the best out there, but I can usually play these open world games at medium to high settings with no hitches (including the first Watch Dogs). Maybe in the future I'll try it again when it's dirty cheap and I make some upgrades, I don't know.

I wasted close to 3 hours trying to optimize it then said fuck it. Even though I crossed the 2 hour threshold for the refund I explained my case and Steam thankfully accepted it.

What's your CPU? GPU? This game is incredibly and ridiculously demanding on the CPU end regardless of settings.

Tankshell

Just picked this up. Playing with an Xbone wireless controller but it keeps randomly disconnecting and then won't let me reconnect? I play lots of other games with the same controller and they are fine...

Anyone had a similar issue?

Win 10 Anniversary
Uplay

Just picked this up. Playing with an Xbone wireless controller but it keeps randomly disconnecting and then won't let me reconnect? I play lots of other games with the same controller and they are fine...

Win 10 Anniversary
Uplay
Same issue here

Tankshell

Same issue here

Did you install the driver for the controller via the Microsoft catalogue website? I did, and I am wondering if that might be part of the problem. I just discovered that there is an Xbox Accessories app on the Windows Store, which apparently has updated firmware and drivers for the Xbone controller... going to try it and report back.

RyudBoy

Win 10 Anniversary
Uplay

I'm having the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet but for now, I just plugged the controller in the PC via USB cable and that works.

Glad to know it's not just me having this issue, though.

Tankshell

I'm having the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet but for now, I just plugged the controller in the PC via USB cable and that works.

Glad to know it's not just me having this issue, though.

Comfy couch here, so wireless is the only option for me. So annoying!

jorimt

Win 10 Anniversary
Uplay

Similar issue here. Xbox One controller, official wireless adapter.

If I don't power on the controller before launching the game, it will power on, and then off immediately; the game won't recognize it. Same if the controller sleeps with the game paused.

The only way it works is if the controller is powered on before launch, and stays on the entire session.

I'm assuming it is a input detection/swap issue specific to this game.

jorimt

I've been using Ultra textures on my GTX 970 and haven't had any issues, I've only played Multiplayer and Horde though, Campaign could be different.

Sounds like you're talking about Gears of War 4?

Any tips on how to reduce screen tearing?

The obvious answer would be v-sync. There aren't many other ways to reduce tearing, unless you could sustain 300+ fps on a high refresh rate monitor (120+), which isn't happening with this game.

If you're avoiding v-sync in fullscreen mode because you're locking to 30 fps when you can't sustain 60 fps (double buffer), you can bypass this by running in fullscreen borderless windowed mode (triple buffer).

I just started getting weird quirks in the game after several days of it running great. The text in the menus looks... off and there's a ton of stuttering as well as audio cutting out intermittently. I'm running it on High on an MSI rx470 4gb, i5-3570k, 8gb of ram. Like I said before today it ran at 60 with hiccups on High.

Also, is it agreed upon that the aliasing in this game is terrible? I am using high aliasing settings and it's a jaggy, shimmering mess.

chrislowe

I've been using Ultra textures on my GTX 970 and haven't had any issues, I've only played Multiplayer and Horde though, Campaign could be different.

Cant check now, but look at hardocp test of watch dogs 2. They claim also that it takes around 5GB at 1080P with ultra textures installed on a gtx1060 and a bit more on rx480.

Might be that your 970 uses your main systemmemory also? Like on old pci gfxcards were you could use mainram as vram?

Cant check now, but look at hardocp test of watch dogs 2. They claim also that it takes around 5GB at 1080P with ultra textures installed on a gtx1060 and a bit more on rx480.

Might be that your 970 uses your main systemmemory also? Like on old pci gfxcards were you could use mainram as vram?

I messed up I thought this was the Gears of War 4 thread sorry lol.

brau

I am really impressed with the game so far. Its running really well, and i am running it at 4k. The AA could be better in some areas of the game, but with the settings i have the game runs buttery smooth and the only issue i've had is the game forgetting its settings and giving me a incompatible resolution to which i have to do a force restart because alt tabbing won't do the work, or anything else.

brau

uD7egAU.png

jackft

Neo Member
So is HMSSAO or SSBC supposed to be better? The game says HMSSAO is superior while the geforce guide says SSBC is superior. On another note TXAA works really well in this game. Too bad I can't get good performance with it on my GTX 980. Game pretty much needs either 4K or TXAA

I confirm that TXAA (X2) works very well in this game : image quality is better than with temporal filtering on and SMAA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I confirm that TXAA (X2) works very well in this game : image quality is better than with temporal filtering on and SMAA.

Temporal filtering doesn't refer to TAA but rather temporal reconstruction (i.e. upscaling).

It works better than smaa but I wouldnt say it works well. Even 8x txaa looks worse than all the good taa implementations in other games which cost like 2% performance.

Does anybody know what causes this game to get really Blurry/Pixelated. I messed with the graphics turning it all up to see how it'd run and then when I lowered it all back to what it was the game retains this blurry image that is so bad it looks Pixelated when you move the camera. I have tried messing with all the options but nothing is making it go away.

(Edit) Never mind I though Pixel Density started below 1.00 and that was what caused it.

jorimt

Specs:
Nvidia Driver: 376.48
Display: 27" Acer Predator XB271HU (144Hz G-Sync @1440p)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (8 cores, Hyper-Threaded: 4 physical/4 virtual)
Heatsink: Hyper 212 Evo w/2x Noctua NF-F12 Fans
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 @1866MHz (Dual Channel: 9-10-9-28, 2T)
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 5TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM w/128MB Cache

I finally came across "San Francisco Fog" in full effect:

Neat, I guess...for a 20+ fps hit. Definitely not necessary, but a nice future-proof feature (along with Extra Details, HFTS Shadows, Screenspace Reflections, and MSAA/TXAA settings) I suppose.

Anyway, I haven't seen many examples in the thread, so just adding it for reference.

j-wood

So yesterday I got a new GPU (a 1070) for my PC, and I just saw this went on sale on steam for 40 bucks. How is the PC performance? I'm debating on getting this here, or for my PS4 pro on a 4k TV. Having a tough time deciding. The rest of my rig is a 6700k, with 16gb of DDR4, SSDs.

So yesterday I got a new GPU (a 1070) for my PC, and I just saw this went on sale on steam for 40 bucks. How is the PC performance? I'm debating on getting this here, or for my PS4 pro on a 4k TV. Having a tough time deciding. The rest of my rig is a 6700k, with 16gb of DDR4, SSDs.

The PS4 / PS4 Pro Performance is quite poor from what I've seen, I would go with the pc version myself as you should be able to get around 60fps at 1080p. Not sure what the 4k performance is like though

dex3108

Nice WD2 Patch

oday we’re releasing Title Update 1.09 for PC. Xbox One and PS4 received this patch last week.

Below are the fixes you can expect from this PC patch:

• [Performance] RAM Usage Optimization – This patch optimizes a system memory usage which improves the game’s performance on systems with low RAM amount.

• [Performance] Screenspace Reflections Optimization – This patch improves the overall performance of Screenspace Reflections and adds two new lower quality levels (Medium and High).

• San Francisco Fog – The algorithm of the San Francisco Fog (aka “Karl”) appearing is improved with this title update.

• Visual – The maximum value of the Pixel Density slider has been changed from 1.25 to 1.5 with this patch.

• Sound – We have added a Music Volume slider.

• Controller – Added support for the newer DualShock 4 controllers (ZCT2U models).

• YourBoySerge Nerf – This .50 Cal sniper rifle has been the subject of some debate in the community, and is considered to be overpowered in online play. In this patch, we’ve reduced the number of rounds in the magazine from 6 to 1, and we will continue to monitor and balance this beasty rifle.

• Fixed various minor issues with flickering.

• Fixed various minor issues with incorrect window modes behavior.

• Fixed various minor issues with the UI and text.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/447040/announcements/detail/276243441564858309

I wonder if I could get a more consistent 60fps now though I think point I think I might just keep everything cranked up and stick to 36fps I locked it at.

Just booted it up after a pretty long while but it seems like the disable EAC command is causing issues. Sound cut out on the main menu and once the game had loaded it kept kicking me back to the pause menu and I couldn't play.

Re-enabling EAC prevented the MSI Afterburner overlay from being displayed. I thought they had fixed this.

E. never mind, updated RTSS and all is well :)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just can't play this freaking game in 1080p, I just F can't.

The game is so awful in 1080p even with 95% of settings turned to max, that I ended up paying the game with these setting in 1440p with minor drops to 55 FPS at best, which is fine and at least the game don't hurt my eyes so much anymore. 99% of time I'm getting rock solid 60 FPS.

1080p is really becoming a shit screen resolution for open world games with a tone of stuff on screen.

I've 4790K @ 4.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ASUS STRIX 1070 OC. Playing the game from HDD - WD Black 7200rpm.

MaLDo

I just can't play this freaking game in 1080p, I just F can't.

The game is so awful in 1080p even with 95% of settings turned to max, that I ended up paying the game with these setting in 1440p with minor drops to 55 FPS at best, which is fine and at least the game don't hurt my eyes so much anymore.

1080p is really becoming a shit screen resolution for open world games with a tone of stuff on screen.

I've 4790K @ 4.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ASUS STRIX 1070 OC. Playing the game from HDD - WD Black 7200rpm.

You have to disable temporal filtering to see real 1080p.

Top Bottom