• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

GrazGamer

How do you point Uplay to the game's installation directory? I am also having trouble unlocking via VPN. Steam says that the game is merely pre-loaded irrespective of what country I choose. This is with the Steam version purchased from Sweden.

When I went to uPlay with the vpn active, even though I had the game pre-loaded it said Download on the button and immediately below it says locate install folder. I did that and it's currently verifying files. Assume it will start after that.

Anyone know if uPlay unlocks needs the VPN always active to play after the initial unlock?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't redeem my samsung code in uplay site because I'm outside US. Sad Affleck.

Use a VPN. Europe, save for Eastern Europe, and the US both fall under the "worldwide" banner, so it's a little odd that the keys are region-restricted at the activation level.

MaLDo

Use a VPN. Europe, save for Eastern Europe, and the US both fall under the "worldwide" banner, so it's a little odd that the keys are region-restricted at the activation level.

Seems odd because I can't even enter the web where I'm supposed to enter the code.

www.watchdogs.com/samsung

sends me to

watchdogs-samsung.ubisoft.com/en-US/Error/Ineligible

TheRed

Dang still gotta wait for my Cdkeys code to come in. Can't wait to see how this game is on my 1080. Oh well Titanfall 2 is so good I can wait.

d00d3n

When I went to uPlay with the vpn active, even though I had the game pre-loaded it said Download on the button and immediately below it says locate install folder. I did that and it's currently verifying files. Assume it will start after that.

Anyone know if uPlay unlocks needs the VPN always active to play after the initial unlock?

The game doesn't even show up in "my games" or "installed" when I log into uplay via VPN, so it was not possible to press any download button for me. The game is completely pre-loaded in Steam from what I can see. To clarify, do you have the Steam version or the Uplay version?

Truant

i7 6700
16 GB
SSD

Using max / ultra settings. IQ is pretty bad without TXAA, but I can't get a locked 60 with TXAAx2

jrcbandit

All Ubisoft open world games performance is killed if you try using any fancy Nvidia shadows, avoid enabling at all costs. Most Game Works features aren't worth using due to high performance cost.

Truant

Found a nice middle ground

1440p via DSR (downsampling) + Temporal Filtering. It's a locked 60 + no jaggies or shimmering. I'm sitting in my couch a few meters away from my TV, so I can't really see the blur.

Durante

Found a nice middle ground

1440p via DSR (downsampling) + Temporal Filtering. It's a locked 60 + no jaggies or shimmering. I'm sitting in my couch a few meters away from my TV, so I can't really see the blur.
I was actually about to suggest that (well, not necessarily 1440p, but some resolution higher than native with DSR) given how "temporal filtering" apparently works.

Seems odd because I can't even enter the web where I'm supposed to enter the code.

www.watchdogs.com/samsung

sends me to

watchdogs-samsung.ubisoft.com/en-US/Error/Ineligible

Are you simply clicking the link that they provided via email? When I did that, I got an error message as well. However, when I typed the URL directly into the browser, it brought me to a working web page.

Truant

I was actually about to suggest that (well, not necessarily 1440p, but some resolution higher than native with DSR) given how "temporal filtering" apparently works.

It works fine for the most part, but the game seems to struggle in rural areas with lots of trees and foliage. I'm getting dips to 50-55 when looking at forest areas in many places. The city works fine.

Is this game region locked?

I have a Spanish WD2 key from Nvidia (bought off gaffer) but it wont let me redeem due to region restrictions. If i get a Spanish VPN and redeem will I be able to link to my uplay account?

Durante

It works fine for the most part, but the game seems to struggle in rural areas with lots of trees and foliage. I'm getting dips to 50-55 when looking at forest areas in many places. The city works fine.
Well, that makes sense, foliage is generally much more difficult to render than buildings ;)

JaseC

just stopped to say thanks JaseC for all the good work in these threads-

11 minutes of unpacking!

Thanks. <3 I enjoy maintaining them, although I've made almost 30 now and it is starting to become a little unwieldy to update the driver section whenever new ones are released, haha.

Ironically, I've thus far always been beaten to the punch as far as AssCreed is concerned. :( Maybe next year.

Is this game region locked?

I have a Spanish WD2 key from Nvidia (bought off gaffer) but it wont let me redeem due to region restrictions. If i get a Spanish VPN and redeem will I be able to link to my uplay account?

It's "language-locked" in China and Eastern Europe. That's it, as far as I'm aware.

elelunicy

Temporal filtering is grayed out for me and I can't enable it. Is that because I'm on SLI (since it apparently uses information from the previous frame)?

qq0pnEa.jpg

dr_rus

All Ubisoft open world games performance is killed if you try using any fancy Nvidia shadows, avoid enabling at all costs. Most Game Works features aren't worth using due to high performance cost.

The only performance intensive GW feature in WD2 is the HFTS shadows. Still, it's perfectly usable on 1070s and 1080s in The Division so it might actually be usable on higher end cards in WD2 as well.

Truant

Both the advanced shadow options tank my performance. 1070 user here. Ultra shadows look fine, for the most part. I should probably get the new NVIDIA drivers as well.

JaseC

Be nice to see some comparisons of the high res textures and what effect it has on vram, also are the textures in the pack higher than the ingame ultra textures or do the ultra textures do nothing without the pack?

There's no Ultra texture setting without the pack.

Jumpman

I don't recommend anyone use MSAA in this game, it cuts performance in half. However using the temporal filtering + SMAA you get great image quality. If you want to get even cleaner you can boost resolution quite a bit without taxing performance too bad. Something like 1800p with PCSS shadows is doable at mostly 60+fps on my OC 980ti.

I don't know if the temporal filtering in Watch Dogs 2 has anything to do with rendering techniques in R6 Siege or The Division either. Because those games were vaseline city to me without tweaks. Watch Dogs 2 again looks sharp and gorgeous with temporal filtering + SMAA.

At 1440p MSAAx2 it looked only marginally better than tf+SMAA. If temporal filtering in this case actually means half res + upscaling tricks I would be shocked. My graphics whore game is strong and Watch Dogs 2 image quality looks outstanding.

Truant

I don't recommend anyone use MSAA in this game, it cuts performance in half. However using the temporal filtering + SMAA you get great image quality. If you want to get even cleaner you can boost resolution quite a bit without taxing performance too bad. Something like 1800p with PCSS shadows is doable at mostly 60+fps on my OC 980ti.

I don't know if the temporal filtering in Watch Dogs 2 has anything to do with rendering techniques in R6 Siege or The Division either. Because those games were vaseline city to me without tweaks. Watch Dogs 2 again looks sharp and gorgeous with temporal filtering + SMAA.

At 1440p MSAAx2 it looked only marginally better than tf+SMAA. If temporal filtering in this case actually means half res + upscaling tricks I would be shocked. My graphics whore game is strong and Watch Dogs 2 image quality looks outstanding.

Yeah, it looks pretty great with the TAA method they're using.

I can't say I'm getting the same performance on my 1070 as you. I have to use ultra shadows + 1440p to get 60.

JaseC

How are people downloading the texture pack? I keep clicking on download and nothing happens :-(

The download button is "broken" on Steam as Ubi forgot to unlock the app prior to publishing the store page. It's still private.

Top Bottom