• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watch Dogs' Wii U: Tablet use undecided[Ubisoft's Bucharest]

Nothing wrong with that track record. It's a port, not a full-grown development.

The PS3 and 360 versions of Future Soldier were pretty rough. Although i'm not sure whose fault that really was. It just really didn't look like a game that you'd expect from a major developer in 2012.

GamePad is the only reason to get this over the PS4 version, and an after-the-fact implementation by a port studio is not giving me confidence.

I wonder if the pad is going to be a WiiU exclusive feature. In my personal opinion, that option will be given to PS4 and 720 owners, it won't be required, but the option will be there. Think "Better with Kinect" or "Compatible with Move" as opposed to "require kinect" or "require move".

Smartglass on 360 seems like a beta test for the 720. It already had over 1 million downloads on google play. Smartglass on 720 is all bug guaranteed to work as a second screen as well.

Sony is gonna bring a similar app for iOS and android as well, presumably at launch. It already is confirmed that it'll work as a second screen.

wsippel

Banned
Pinch to zoom on map and using 2 fingers to swipe between screens, for example.
That's basically a requirement on small smartphone screens, the GamePad screen on the other hand is big enough for on-screen controls. Multitouch gestures are very much useless on a game controller for ergonomical reasons. It's not a tablet, you're not putting it down on a table. Which means you only have one thumb to use the touchscreen most of the time, anyway.

Pinch to zoom is also pinch to rotate while simultaneously being a select action, useful for manipulating any set of 2D planar data (maps, photos, anything) — it is a big deal. Not like games use maps much, right?

Tablets don't have other input methods. The WiiU does.
Not saying its perfect but just saying the reasons Tablets use these input methods is because its what is available to them.

You could keep tap to zoom but have the left/right trigger act as an alt function, changing it to tap to zoom out.

Jackano

The fact the GamePad isn't multi-touch makes it feel tacked on itself. Nintendo basically guaranteed no developer will ever really use it in an interesting way.

How do you think developers will use DS4's touchpad in an interesting way? This thing isn't even a screen.

Yes, this again. Sorry wsippel but you will see this repeated because multitouch is huge despite you downplaying it at every turn.

Pinch to zoom is also pinch to rotate while simultaneously being a select action, useful for manipulating any set of 2D planar data (maps, photos, anything) — it is a big deal. Not like games use maps much, right?

It's not that you can't zoom with buttons, we have always done that, it is just inferior.

Ubi should give the main guy a tablet rather than a phone in the Wii U version. Just so it has congruency with what you are doing with your actual hands.

I have to disagree. Multitouch exists to make up for the lack of other control options on touchscreen only devices. If you have the other control options(read: buttons, analog sticks), multitouch becomes an imprecise gimmick...

OFF TV PLAY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DEVS JUST DO OFF TV PLAY

Fuck any gimmick bullshit you want to put on the pad. Just let me play my console games on my nice little handheld while my kid sits next to me reading a book or watching something on netflix

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have to disagree. Multitouch exists to make up for the lack of other control options on touchscreen only devices. If you have the other control options(read: buttons, analog sticks), multitouch becomes a useless gimmick...
Let's not go overboard, it has its uses. Like fingle. It's a whole other (ignorant and biased) thing to claim you can't do shit without multitouch considering how many iOS games are single touch, but the other extreme end of the argument isn't better.

Übermatik;48242354 said:
It would be so good to 'hack' form the Wii U pad, maybe have some AR stuff going on too... c'mon ubi.

It would be so much fun to hack using your hand and it "scans" the hand placed on the screen. That or you place your fingers in certain sections emulating different sizes. Oh wait, no multi-touch.

Zarovitch

We don't even know if thy will put the map on the controller screen, what the talk about mutltitouch?

Is there people that'll not buy this game cause of the lack of multitouch?

We don't even know if thy will put the map on the controller screen, what the talk about mutltitouch?

Is there people that'll not buy this game cause of the lack of multitouch?

Maybe...

People (atleast me) are just having silly fun! I don't believe anyone who is buying this game on WiiU actually cares about multi-touch i.e. if they don't use it, no one will need it.

Yes, this again. Sorry wsippel but you will see this repeated because multitouch is huge despite you downplaying it at every turn.

It's not that you can't zoom with buttons, we have always done that, it is just inferior.

Ubi should give the main guy a tablet rather than a phone in the Wii U version. Just so it has congruency with what you are doing with your actual hands.
I'm currently playing Batman and I have absolutely no problems with the map, nor do I think "man, this should be multitouch" while playing and I use the map a lot (finding Riddler trophies, new landmarks, etc.).

You're probably complaining about this because you want to complain (to me it seems like this).

Mael

It would be so much fun to hack using your hand and it "scans" the hand placed on the screen. That or you place your fingers in certain sections emulating different sizes. Oh wait, no multi-touch.

Yeah I totally see how that feature will be enjoyed by your average gamer on the ps4 front pad!

If Ubisoft screw up the gamepad integration on this game there is no hope for any third party Wii U games. This game was MADE for the Wii U, the whole concept lends itself perfectly for a touchscreen. Come on UBI, don't fuck this up..

ticl

Banned
So ~8 months from release and they still haven't decided what they want to do with the tablet? That feels like proof it will be some tacked on crap no one cares about. They already had plans in place for how they're going to use the PS4 touch pad.

lol you cant compare the ps4 touchpad to the gamepad. cmon touchpad doesnt have the ability to do anything really.

Let's not go overboard, it has its uses. Like fingle. It's a whole other (ignorant and biased) thing to claim you can't do shit without multitouch considering how many iOS games are single touch, but the other extreme end of the argument isn't better.

I edited, it's not completely useless, but i I'd personally have pixel perfect pricision of a resistive screen over a capacitive multitouch if it's isn't necissary. Multitouch resistive would be awesome, but that would be even more cost prohibitive than the more precise capacitive multitouch screens

Multitouch gestures for one, just like the one's I'm using on the Apple trackpad on my desk right now.
Touchpads are about the worst gaming interface imaginable. No tactile feedback like buttons/sticks and no visual feedback like screens. It's the worst of both worlds.

While playing Darksiders 2 I kept trying to pinch-to-zoom the map on the bottom screen and until I was like "oh yeah..." That said, the ship about the screen sailed long ago, I'm surprised people still bicker about it

Using the screen they did has made Miiverse much more interesting so it wasn't all bad. I'm looking forward to an eventual art academy game

Oppo

I have to disagree. Multitouch exists to make up for the lack of other control options on touchscreen only devices. If you have the other control options(read: buttons, analog sticks), multitouch becomes an imprecise gimmick...

Ever used iPhoto on an iPad?

Collecting, bunching, expanding, rotating photos all in one smooth move. It is the most elegant way to do that stuff and it has nothing to do with a lack of buttons. I wish I had it on the desktop, it's brilliant.

Which you rather do - pinch to zoom a map on your phone, or tap tap tap the little + and - keys until you get somewhere close to where you want?

Like I said, it's hardly impossible to zoom on a Wii U pad, it's just not quite as elegant.

Captain Smoker said:
I'm currently playing Batman and I have absolutely no problems with the map, nor do I think "man, this should be multitouch" while playing and I use the map a lot (finding Riddler trophies, new landmarks, etc.).
I never thought of using a mouse in a game until I first tried one. That is the nature of innovation, it seems obvious after the fact.

You're probably complaining about this because you want to complain (to me it seems like this).
I specified my reasons and gave examples. I'm not surprised that you found fault. You are as much a fixture in Nintendo threads as wsippel and farnham. If you have a more concrete argument lets hear it.

Mael

Touchpads are about the worst gaming interface imaginable. No tactile feedback like buttons/sticks and no visual feedback like screens. It's the worst of both worlds.

To be frank not even Apple's touchpads are worth more than a shitcake sunday on a cold friday winter night.

Tobor

You wouldn't use it as the primary interface. As a secondary interface, it should be very useful for manipulating map data, swiping between inventory screens, gestures, manipulating 3d objects, and whatever else a creative dev comes up with.

I hope this doesn't come down to more of that "LolTendo" because of the resisitive capacitive screen "issue". Resisitive screens can use a stylus. Capacitive can't. Nintendo likes the idea of actually poking what you want to select rather than just around it. It's not a disadvantage, and honestly I'd have been disappointed with a capacitive screen on any of Nintendo's devices.

kitsuneyo

It doesn't even matter to me how they use the GamePad. Yves Guillemot said the aim was to give the same experience across all platforms including PS4. The fact this is possible gives me hope that Wii U *might* just get a few next gen multiplats, *if* its sales pick up.

I do expect better visuals than 360 and PS3 though, now that we know that's possible after Need for Speed Most Wanted.

wsippel

Banned
That doesn't work on multitouch devices, either. Those things only track points. It can be faked, though. But then again, it can be just as easily faked on a single touch screen.

You can fake many multitouch gimmicks on a single touch screen, by the way. If you touch two points at the same time, the system will register a signal exactly in the middle between those two. So, let's say you have virtual inputs A, B and C, and touch points A and C, it'll register as B. Press A and B, and it'll register between A and B. If you own a Wii U, you can test this behavior it in the browser.

I can't see myself picking up the Wii U version over the PS4 version anyway but i am surprised they've not really considered the touchscreen on the gamepad yet, this kind of game could utilise it well you'd think.

Pociask

So it's like this?

Montreal: PC/PS4/X3
Bucharest: PS360U

If that's true, does that have any implications for future Wii U development? As in, there was hope that with modern engines being more scalable, that the Wii U would be able to more easily receive downports from the PS4 and X3. But if it's being developed by the same studio that's doing the 360 and PS3 version, does that mean the Wii U is so underpowered that once studios stop doing 360 and PS3 versions of games, third party support for the Wii U will dry up?

I hope these guys aren't behind the PS360 versions as that could risk it just being an identical version to those, rather than try to focus only on Wii U and try to reach towards the other next-gen versions.

Maybe Ubi Paris is doing the PS360 versions, Ubi Quebec is also involved, thought they were a shoe-in for the Wii U version.

That doesn't work on multitouch devices, either. Those things only track points. It can be faked, though. But then again, it can be just as easily faked on a single touch screen.

You can fake many multitouch gimmicks on a single touch screen, by the way. If you touch two points at the same time, the system will register a signal exactly in the middle between those two. So, let's say you have virtual inputs A, B and C, and touch points A and C, it'll register as B. Press A and B, and it'll register between A and B. If you own a Wii U, you can test this behavior it in the browser.

The issue with that is it doesn't know you've pressed multiple spots, and that would be hardly accurate for them to decide where they want the cursor to end up for it to register.

Yeah. Faking is the way to go (which is why I said "scans"). Nothing wrong with that! :D

I never thought of using a mouse in a game until I first tried one. That is the nature of innovation, it seems obvious after the fact.
What's the point?

I've also a multi-touch smartphone but I don't care anyway with Batman, it has a great implementation, it's a great game.

First world problems.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really hate the pinch to zoom in and out gesture. Turned it off on my Macbook. I just double tap which is easy to do on a single touch screen.

But if it's being developed by the same studio that's doing the 360 and PS3 version, does that mean the Wii U is so underpowered that once studios stop doing 360 and PS3 versions of games, third party support for the Wii U will dry up?

That'll likely depend on how the Wii U versions of those games are selling at that point. If they're selling well then there's now way that they'll cut it off. All the next-gen engines will likely be very scalable, so it won't be left out if it makes enough money for publishers.

Medalion

Banned
I am sorry if I seem very ignorant about this game

but I haven't seen anything in particular about this game that shouts "next gen" that can't be done on the Wii-U, maybe some things will be scaled down but with the right engine, it could be done decent enough

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How hard is that to conceptualize anyway? Can't they just go from how they think the dude's phone works and implement it on the tablet? A 2D representation of all the nodes you can hack, with you being able to tap them would be good enough for me.

Zarovitch

I am sorry if I seem very ignorant about this game

but I haven't seen anything in particular about this game that shouts "next gen" that can't be done on the Wii-U, maybe some things will be scaled down but with the right engine, it could be done decent enough

Beside the visual, what will be better in nextgen openword is the variety of different characters and cars in the same scene.

wsippel

Banned
The issue with that is it doesn't know you've pressed multiple spots, and that would be hardly accurate for them to decide where they want the cursor to end up for it to register.
Requires clever interface design, of course. But it's possible.

Say you have a virtual button in the top right corner and one it the top left corner, and no buttons directly inbetween. That's a situation where you can easily fake multitouch: pressing both at once registers as a press smack in the middle between both. There's no button it could be mistaken for, so you know what the user meant.

Another easy trick is hold point A, then touch point B. The system knows where A is, once another point is touched the coordinates jump immediately to point X, you know X is in the middle between A and whatever the second point was, so you just have to interpolate and can tell if it was actually point B the user was touching.

Tobor

If that's true, does that have any implications for future Wii U development? As in, there was hope that with modern engines being more scalable, that the Wii U would be able to more easily receive downports from the PS4 and X3. But if it's being developed by the same studio that's doing the 360 and PS3 version, does that mean the Wii U is so underpowered that once studios stop doing 360 and PS3 versions of games, third party support for the Wii U will dry up?

Third party support has already dried up.

NotLiquid

Am I the only one who read this information as they just haven't pinned down exactly what functions and to what extent they want to integrate it on the pad? I'm not too worried about that. Most people figured tablet = phone functionality was a non-brainer and he says as much. I think it's just a matter of them figuring out how to build the interface and if there should be more beyond that. If they worked some on ZombiU I'm not that worried.

Out of curiosity, how good was AC3's PC version?

Top Bottom