• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watch Dogs' Wii U: Tablet use undecided[Ubisoft's Bucharest]

Blades64

Banned
I'm more concerned by the fact that the same team that's porting to the PS360 is also porting to the Wii U. I think that indicates that the Wii U won't receive any upgrades (graphically) from the PS360 version...

Besides that, devs just need to implement Off-TV play and I'm good.

EDIT:
Hmnn.... Please take some effort to take advantage of the WiiU like criterion did.

Basically this. :)

Mael

I take it you've never used an Apple trackpad? All of the stuff I mentioned work perfectly on my desktop computer, and the trackpad is not a screen.

I, however, did use that, and it's shit on sticks.
The 1rst thing I did was buy a mouse for this because goddamn it's horrible.

So Ubi Bucharest is doing the 360/PS3/WiiU port?

This is their track record:
2011: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PC) - multiplayer collaboration with Annecy
2011 : Abba: You Can Dance (Wii) - in collaboration with Paris
2012 : Ghost Recon Future Soldier (X360, PS3) - in collaboration with Paris
2012 : Assassin's Creed 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - multiplayer in collaboration with Annecy
2012 : ZombiU (Wii U) - in collaboration with Montpellier

That doesn't seem too bad. Hopefully they have enough time that whatever gamepad functionality they add isn't buggy or pointless, or at the very least there better be off-screen play.

I'm more concerned by the fact that the same team that's porting to the PS360 is also porting to the Wii U. I think that indicates that the Wii U won't receive any upgrades (graphically) from the PS360 version...

How does that make sense? They're porting DOWN for the PC not down to the PS3/360 then up to the WiiU.

Tobor

Are you even reading? I've already said twice.. how does a screen-less multitouch (trackpad/touchpad) add functionality that can't already be available with an analog stick.

I never said touchpads are useless.

Are you even reading?

Off the top of my head, pinch to zoom and rotate, better manipulation of 3d objects, gestures to add additional input.

The point is it offers additional possibilities while removing nothing from the standard experience.

You then stated pinch to zoom won't work without a screen, and I proved you wrong.

Why should it be a limit that they are also porting PS360?

NFSU upgraded the textures and lightning pretty fast. There is a PC version of watchdogs, so Wii U can benefit from at least medium size textures, that alone is a great start.

PS: having a hard time going back to PS3 games after playing Wii U.

We're going to applaud a 2 point touchscreen that's the size of a thumb over a full blown touchscreen? One that supports an actual accurate method of input? I haven't thought of any good use that the ds4 will have that the Wii U can't do. None. Slide to unlock works perfectly fine on a resistive screen! A stylus that would let you pinpoint poke anything won't work on ds4, which gives the Wii U the upper hand in any RTS.
Apparently input accuracy doesn't matter to people. I guess this is why console shooters are popular. WTF guys.

Berg

I take it you've never used an Apple trackpad? All of the stuff I mentioned work perfectly on my desktop computer, and the trackpad is not a screen.

every try to use it with sweaty fingers? doesn't work.

Ubisoft said the next gen versions are the lead versions and being ported down to current gen consoles/Wii U.

Would that mean it's more of a possibility for ubisoft to use higher res textures for the wiiU version? Some people think they wouldn't waste their time and effort doing that.

Effect

This game has the opportunity to be big for the Wii U in regards to 3rd party support. This is my wish list(no matter how insane it sounds) of the Wii U version.

1. A noticeable step up in graphics from ps360 version with native 720p 60fps gameplay
2. Control cell phone with gamepad and off tv gameplay option.
3. Sell one million copies at least(this is up to us obviously).
4.Wii U platform talked about positively in interviews from the devs that worked on the console. Not like a red headed stepchild to ps4 and 720.

No. No. NO! That is up to Ubisoft. It's up to them by acknowledging its existence. By releasing it at the same time as the other versions. By demoing the Wii U version at some point so people have an idea of what they are buying the same way they would the other versions. By pushing it the same as the other versions. It's up to Ubisoft to give people a reason to go out and buy their game over other games on any given platform and not simply expect people to. I'm tired of Nintendo hardware owners being blamed for a game doing bad when the publisher and developer can't be bothered to to push the game, advertise or even simply acknowledge its existence once it goes on sale.

jmizzal

Glad to see they have the game running on WiiU already

And for people saying its only 8 months left and they dont have touch screen stuff means its a lazy port.

Do people forget at one E3 we saw Killer Freaks and 1 year later we saw ZombiU? A whole new game, and ZombiU had amazing use of the GamePad, it should take that long to get some great Game stuff in Watch_Dogs WiiU.

Blades64

Banned
How does that make sense? They're porting DOWN for the PC not down to the PS3/360 then up to the WiiU.

I'm really not trying to antagonistic here, but I don't understand anything you just said (not good with this technical stuff).

Anywho, answer me this: Do you think that the devs will take the time out to port to the Wii U's strengths? Do you think the Wii U version of the game will be any different from the PS360 version of the game besides maybe off-tv play and a few other stuff with the tablet controller? Serious question. :)

Why should it be a limit that they are also porting PS360?

NFSU upgraded the textures and lightning pretty fast. There is a PC version of watchdogs, so Wii U can benefit from at least medium size textures, that alone is a great start.

I agree that I want the devs to take the time out to cater to the Wii U, and that's the reason why I'm getting NFSMW:U...because Criterion actually took the time out to do that, however, not all devs think the way that Criterion do...

Mik_Pad

Banned
No. No. NO! That is up to Ubisoft. It's up to them by acknowledging it's existence. By releasing it at the same time as the other versions. By demoing the Wii U version at some point so people have an idea of what they are buying the same way they would the other versions. By pushing it the same as the other versions. It's up to Ubisoft to give people a reason to go out and buy their game and not simply expect people to. I'm tired of Nintendo hardware owners being blamed for a game doing bad when the publisher and developer can't be bothered to to push the game, advertise or even simply acknowledge its existence once it goes on sale.
This, The game will sell well only if Ubisoft does the Wii U version justice with great marketing and a decent port.

Oppo

Are you even reading? I've already said twice.. how does a screen-less multitouch (trackpad/touchpad) add functionality that can't already be available with an analog stick.

I tried to answer this on the last page, maybe you missed it...

Nerfgun said:
Analog stick is a variable 360º unidirectional input. You can move something at a variable speed in one direction. Multitouch is multiple inputs (2 or more) registering point hits on a canvas, with or without directional info (double tap vs pinch/zoom). They're not really comparable that way.

So put even more simply: you can't select, move, rotate and zoom something at the same time with an analog stick.

I'm really not trying to antagonistic here, but I don't understand anything you just said (not good with this technical stuff).

Anywho, answer me this: Do you think that the devs will take the time out to port to the Wii U's strengths? Do you think the Wii U version of the game will be any different from the PS360 version of the game besides maybe off-tv play and a few other stuff with the tablet controller? Serious question. :)

It took Criterion a small amount of time. They said they basically had a switch for using PC textures, what makes this not an option for WatchDogs in this age of scalable engines.

People really undermine the scalability of engines. I even think this has been a decision from management to have engines scale well, not just for Wii U but for PS360 as well.

As for advanced AI in the next gen consoles, this is not so easy, AI is one of the most complex areas in video games. I expect at least 2 years after launch to see some advanced AI implemented.

deviljho

This, The game will sell well only if Ubisoft does the Wii U version justice with great marketing and a decent port.

Ubisoft won't, and doesn't have to, market or promote the Wii U version with extra fanfare when they are releasing on many platforms. That's Nintendo's job.

well HOPEFULLY now developers have the finished wii u sdk it'll be very easy to make games look noticably better than ps360, need for speed is the first example we've seen we MAY get further evidence when we see injustice and sniper elite

Am I the only one who read this information as they just haven't pinned down exactly what functions and to what extent they want to integrate it on the pad? I'm not too worried about that. Most people figured tablet = phone functionality was a non-brainer and he says as much. I think it's just a matter of them figuring out how to build the interface and if there should be more beyond that. If they worked some on ZombiU I'm not that worried.

Out of curiosity, how good was AC3's PC version?
Yer pretty much, they're just trying to figure out how to take advantage of the game pad to its full potential, not that they don't really care about the pad at all.

They just need to assure off-TV-play is implemented, and the game is already worth the money.
I think with this game, the cell phone options to play with the cities power and such would make alot of sense on the game pad, it certainly shouldn't just be a minimap or something. Its a pretty looking game too, which should be experienced on the big screen.

Mael

I'm here using my analog stick to zoom on my WiiU. It works better.

FTFY.
Seriously trackpad is the worst thing to zoom on a page or anything.
It's shit.
Why would anyone want to suffer through this on other platforms is beyond me.

deviljho

So put even more simply: you can't select, move, rotate and zoom something at the same time with an analog stick.

Thank you for engaging in the discussion. So I will go further into my point. When the multi-touch is a screenless pad, it is harder to perform these features because you can't see what you are touching. And the smaller the touchpad trickier it is.

Now, when you have a controller with buttons and analogs sticks, looking at the TV, you can mitigate the disparity between these operations compared to a screen-less multitouch surface.

If I want to zoom in on the webpage, I could pinch-to-zoom, but if I am using a small trackpad, the precision will force me to pinch/zoom, then swipe to navigate. I can easy accomplish the same thing using an analog stick to click to zoom, and directional input to navigate. If I want to manipulate a 3D object by rotating it, I can select it by scrolling with a d-pad, as an example, select it and rotate it with the analog stick. Selecting an object from a screen-less multitouch pad is not as easy as from a smartphone.

Just to be clear: I am not discounting multitouch, I'm just trying to say that a lack of a touchpad/screen-less multitouch device can easy be worked around with a dual-stick controller. A small touchpad does not work the same as a smartphone screen in practice.

jmizzal

I can't see myself picking up the Wii U version over the PS4 version anyway but i am surprised they've not really considered the touchscreen on the gamepad yet, this kind of game could utilise it well you'd think.

They didnt say the havent considered the touchscreen, they just say they are undecided on what they are gonna do, but they have a lot of ideas right now.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Considering I won't have another platform for another two years or so I'll end up getting this on the Wii U. Even if it's a simple port, I'm fairly confident it'll be competent. A single dev studio won't be able to make six versions of the same game at once... so you have to hand off some of the porting work elsewhere.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You don't have to do anything with the tablet. Save all the processing power for the game.

butman

If this kind of issues will happen with every Multi game. The "Tablet Feature" will end like the 3D function on 3DS in every 3rd party multi game. Useless.

Zarovitch

I see you ran out of arguments..
How cute.

I was joking, c'mon :)

I would like multitouch on the WiiU game pad, but i think the implementation of
the game pad could be better than the touchpad on the PS4.

For the moment the lack of multitouch don't kill this game, the lack of power can be worst.

majik13

EDIT:

Basically this. :)

its already been more or less confirmed by Ideaman that the wiiu version is receiving improvments from the ps360 ports. It is somehwere inbetween ps3 and ps4, closer to current gen though

Oppo

Thank you for engaging in the discussion.
No sweat ;)

So I will go further into my point. When the multi-touch is a screenless pad, it is harder to perform these features because you can't see what you are touching. And the smaller the touchpad trickier it is.
Somewhat disagree on the difficulty. But totally agree that the size of the PS4 touchpad in particular is perhaps of some concern.

Now, when you have a controller with buttons and analogs sticks, looking at the TV, you can mitigate the disparity between these operations compared to a screen-less multitouch surface.
Now here is where you lost me. I'm not sure why it would be different. I don't really need to look at my mouse wheel to scroll properly. You would just touch and wiggle your fingers around while watching the image on-screen.

If I want to zoom in on the webpage, I could pinch-to-zoom, but if I am using a small trackpad, the precision will force me to pinch/zoom, then swipe to navigate. I can easy accomplish the same thing using an analog stick to click to zoom, and directional input to navigate. If I want to manipulate a 3D object by rotating it, I can select it by scrolling with a d-pad, as an example, select it and rotate it with the analog stick. Selecting an object from a screen-less multitouch pad is not as easy as from a smartphone.
First let me say that you are right in that none of this is impossible with one method or the other. I'm only arguing that I like multitouch a little better for these situations. Clearly we've been ok with manipulating maps and zooming on things with the regular controllers for years.

That said, the dpad/analog method requires a few more steps, right. Like switch to one mode for panning, switch to another for zooming, switch to another for rotating. Whereas with multitouch I could press one button (click touchpad maybe) to bring the map up on the TV, and then I can control all three of those aspects with one single motion. I can make the map bigger, spin it, and zoom it, all by putting two fingers down and twisting/spreading/pinching slightly. It's really hard to beat that for this kind of manipulation. The analog would need to know which aspect to adjust: zoom? pan? rotate? and necessitate mode switching.

Granted the wii u doesn't rock dual touch, but I think the options for working around that far outweigh those that speak against it.
The Wii U pad is a great feature and can if used to it's full potential elevate a game experience.

Tis really a question of not being lazy basically.
The option is there, are they gonna make it worth buying it?

majik13

this is the minnumum I excpect.

provide mirrored off tv play
directly touch the objects you want to hack on the touchscreen. no hack menu

That could even be the ideal way to play as you wouldnt need to split your attention across 2 screens.

Other than that, play the regular game and have the phone type interface on the gamepad.

Hopefully they give us some good options

I think the problem could be that the porting dev might not be allowed to add certain features, that might over shadow how the game is played on other platforms.

At the very least, I would love a 100% HUD free tv and have all the info on the bottom screen, like Assassins Creed 3 does. What I want though, is something implicated like ZombiU, no on screen menus ever and have all that stuff happen in-game using the gamepad.

Top Bottom