• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watch Dogs' Wii U: Tablet use undecided[Ubisoft's Bucharest]

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would think the Wii U gamepad would be a huge benefit to this game. I guess it's a matter of is it worth spending the money to put forth some real effort in the U version, or just doing a simple port.

I am sorry if I seem very ignorant about this game

but I haven't seen anything in particular about this game that shouts "next gen" that can't be done on the Wii-U, maybe some things will be scaled down but with the right engine, it could be done decent enough

1. It's not that the game cannot be done in current-gen (It's being ported on all consoles, after all!); Hell, I believe this started as a current-gen title buffed up to next-gen.

2. Launch titles: Don't expect the game to shout "next-gen". Devs are not only testing their latest engines but also the latest hardware. Expect launch titles to have better textures, better framerate, more characters in screen, less pop-ins, less screen tearing, better AA and less eliminating gameplay elements because the hardware cannot support all that shit. Of course, it depends on how the developer uses the tech provided to them.

Am I the only one who read this information as they just haven't pinned down exactly what functions and to what extent they want to integrate it on the pad? I'm not too worried about that. Most people figured tablet = phone functionality was a non-brainer and he says as much. I think it's just a matter of them figuring out how to build the interface and if there should be more beyond that. If they worked some on ZombiU I'm not that worried.

No, I thought this was obvious too.

Yes, this again. Sorry wsippel but you will see this repeated because multitouch is huge despite you downplaying it at every turn.

Pinch to zoom is also pinch to rotate while simultaneously being a select action, useful for manipulating any set of 2D planar data (maps, photos, anything) — it is a big deal. Not like games use maps much, right?

It's not that you can't zoom with buttons, we have always done that, it is just inferior.

Ubi should give the main guy a tablet rather than a phone in the Wii U version. Just so it has congruency with what you are doing with your actual hands.

This has been the argument to downplay the gamepad.

I think it is great as it is. It has apart from the touch interface, a lot of buttons and 2 sticks, audio out and microphone.

The uses I really love are the communication hub ala Lego City undercover, where you get all communications on the gamepad, seems like a simple feature that is great for immersion. For other genres it can be a game changer, like MMOs and RTS.

The use as a scope in FPS is also really cool.

What about the ability to check out other planes in the virtual world just like Wii Street U. I think that is a game changer too for exploration in action adventure games.

Other ideas for a cool action adventure game where you have cool gadgets. Lets say you control an rc car, spy heli, or any other spying device with a camera and you control it via the gamepad with the camera output also on the gamepad.

All game Audio out to the gamepad is a great great feature for some quite gaming. I think DS4 has an audio out too, really love that.

Wow, some off topic sorry but possibilities are endless, I hope devs do care in the future or at least nintendo ips.

Also great news the game is already running, that has my hype up if they can really get everything out of the Wii U with better dev kit support from nintendo.

Vorundor

I will definitely be getting the Wii U version of this games.

They can use the screen to have him receive txt messages from other people in his/her city and be able to interact that way. You could also use it for remote hacking is there is a need for that. You could have it be a 3D over world map with info about things/people around you.

You could also have the GamePad work to trigger multiple "hacks". I'm not sure if this is possible but if you are hacking the city amidst a chase, it would be cool if I can hide out somewhere and plan my strategy via the GamePad and trigger different events based on the location of my persecutor.

deviljho

Watch Dogs on Wii U will be feature comparable with other versions, Ubisoft Montreal has said.
"It's natural. What's really cool with Watch Dogs, when we start thinking of those devices, it's not a weird abstraction, it's not like I'm a space alien and now I'm using a tablet. Why am I doing that?

LOL

aliens-meme.jpg

This is the first time I heard of this feature.
Senior producer Dominic Guay said all the game's "core" social features - such as allowing users to access other players' worlds through smartphones - will be possible on the Nintendo platform.

Where can I read more?

Effect

I was already in the wait and see mode after the Rayman situation regarding anything Ubisoft does on the Wii U. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop as they say. That this situation is even taking place makes me not want to get excited about the game at all. This being done by the team doing the PS3 and 360 version or at least not the PS4/720/PC team is also concerning to me given the Wii U's hardware design compared to the PS3/360. If the Wii U has more in common with the PS4 and likely 720 in just general architecture design why is the Wii U version being doen by the PS3/360 team!? That's a massive red flag to me already.

Ever used iPhoto on an iPad?

Collecting, bunching, expanding, rotating photos all in one smooth move. It is the most elegant way to do that stuff and it has nothing to do with a lack of buttons. I wish I had it on the desktop, it's brilliant.

Which you rather do - pinch to zoom a map on your phone, or tap tap tap the little + and - keys until you get somewhere close to where you want?

Like I said, it's hardly impossible to zoom on a Wii U pad, it's just not quite as elegant.

I never thought of using a mouse in a game until I first tried one. That is the nature of innovation, it seems obvious after the fact.

I specified my reasons and gave examples. I'm not surprised that you found fault. You are as much a fixture in Nintendo threads as wsippel and farnham. If you have a more concrete argument lets hear it.

You seem to be taking this personally, but ok. I don't want you to think that I was trying to insult you at all, you just have to accept that there are people who disagree. No need to be defensive.

I'd like you to consider performing all of those elegent motions as fast as humanly possible during an intense game. Elegant, sure, but it requires much more concentration than you'd want to require a player to have during a tense situation. You need functionality without requiring the player to take their attention away from the main screen for extended periods of time. That's why customizable virtual buttons are a better fit for videogames. Multitouch could have uses, and I've already agreed with that. I'm just not sure that it would be worth having for the handful of benefits. And as I've said, this is an opinion. I'd personally hate a game that make me perform complex hand gestures that require my attention to be taken away from the main screen for too long when I really just want to concentrate on staying alive. I wouldn't play a game like that.

Takuya

Banned
Watch Dogs is “already running” on Wii U, thanks to the porting work of Ubisoft Bucharest (Romania). The team previously developed the PC version of Assassin’s Creed III and helped out on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

That's good news to hear, means that the next-gen versions of the game won't be held back by WiiU.

deviljho

I specified my reasons and gave examples. I'm not surprised that you found fault. You are as much a fixture in Nintendo threads as wsippel and farnham. If you have a more concrete argument lets hear it.

You're right. The Wii U supporters just parrot the same thing over and over again. The lag free, multi-touch 2nd screens that microsoft and sony currently provide for their console systems right now are superior to the single touch offering from Nintendo. We shouldn't even bother to give them some credit for adding a few nice features to the gaming experience because they decided to omit various other features that already exist on smart phones, tablets, and of course, other home consoles.

Derrick01

Banned
That's good news to hear, means that the next-gen versions of the game won't be held back by WiiU.

They won't be held back by any of the last gen versions. The core team made this game with next gen hardware in mind and started it on PC until they received dev kits advanced enough to really start moving it over. Ubi's CEO confirmed as much.

Weird the main team isn't the one porting it like I assume they are for the PS3/360 since they don't mention it. How long is this offshoot team for Wii U ports going to continue.

You wouldn't use it as the primary interface. As a secondary interface, it should be very useful for manipulating map data, swiping between inventory screens, gestures, manipulating 3d objects, and whatever else a creative dev comes up with.
Sounds like something that can be done less abstractly on a touchscreen or more efficiently on a dpad/stick.

Tobor

You seem to be taking this personally, but ok. I don't want you to think that I was trying to insult you at all, you just have to accept that there are people who disagree. No need to be defensive.

I'd like you to consider performing all of those elegent motions as fast as humanly possible during an intense game. Elegant, sure, but it requires much more concentration than you'd want to require a player to have during a tense situation. You need functionality without requiring the player to take their attention away from the main screen for extended periods of time. That's why customizable virtual buttons are a better fit for videogames. Multitouch could have uses, and I've already agreed with that. I'm just not sure that it would be worth having for the handful of benefits. And as I've said, this is an opinion. I'd personally hate a game that make me perform complex hand gestures that require my attention to be taken away from the main screen for too long when I really just want to concentrate on staying alive. I wouldn't play a game like that.

I'd like you to consider that not every game requires you to move as fast as humanly possible, certainly not the entire time you play.

Why gamers would shout down a tech solution that would allow for more options is beyond me, especially when the only reason the inferior tech was chosen was to cut costs.

Oppo

No offense taken whatsoever my man, all in good fun.

Ok – my response in the form of my main question, which is: why frame this within the context of a frantic game?

I believe things like the gamepad screen will be best used when the game is actually paused, or awaiting user action. Of course buttons are better for the faster moments that require some level of "twitch". That's why all but the simplest action-oriented games are ill suited for touchscreen platforms like iOS (I'd say the outer limit is somewhere around Temple Run level of complexity).

But that is hardly every situation or every game. Say there was a version of XCOM for Wii U. Which would you rather do: button-cycle to the man you want, or simply tap him? Pull up the Zoom In and Zoom Out buttons and tap them, or just adjust the view screen quickly with finger + thumb? Turn-based, or menu-based games, no issue. Pause screen, no issue.

It's like using the Wii remote (or Move for that matter) for shooting; I happen to think it's better, and lots of other people do too, but that doesn't mean you can't do it with dual sticks. Just more elegant the other way.

You're right. The Wii U supporters just parrot the same thing over and over again. The lag free, multi-touch 2nd screens that microsoft and sony currently provide for their console systems right now are superior to the single touch offering from Nintendo. We shouldn't even bother to give them some credit for adding a few nice features to the gaming experience because they decided to omit various other features that already exist on smart phones, tablets, and of course, other home consoles.
It's unfortunate Nintendo went that route but I guess I can see their reasons. I just don't think anyone wants to whip out a stylus in the middle of playing Watch Dogs. I do think Ubi will do something cool with that screen that will make the PS4/720 players a bit envious of that aspect though. It's just too tempting. Really curious to see how the SmartGlass/PS App stuff matches up, if at all.

Derrick01

Banned
Weird the main team isn't the one porting it like I assume they are for the PS3/360 since they don't mention it. How long is this offshoot team for Wii U ports going to continue.

Probably another year until everyone fully transitions solely to the next gen consoles, then it won't get any ports at all :p

stupidvillager

Neo Member
I really do not understand the big deal about no multi-touch. On an smartphone or tablet, sure, but not in this instance. Those things can just be mapped to a button, no big deal. The PS4 may have multi-touch but it is just a touchpad and a small one at that. It wont be able to to the same things the Wii U controller can. You wont be able to "scan" your hand on that either. Smartglass is on a whole other device. Those complaining about looking down at the Wii U pad are now going to have to look down at whatever phone/tablet its on and then put down the controller and pick up said phone/tablet. So I dont see the Wii U not having multi-touch as being that important. The PS4 controller isnt perfect and has its faults as does smartglass.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why gamers would shout down a tech solution that would allow for more options is beyond me, especially when the only reason the inferior tech was chosen was to cut costs.
Yet not having a screen at all for the same reason is somehow awesome. And nobody said you don't have more options with multi touch (screens, clearly not being a screen at all severely limits what you can do in different ways), just that they're quite often irrelevant, unnecessary and there are plenty possibilities without it contrary to people pushing the opinion that a single touch screen controller is universally useless. If someone responds to a person like that, that's not necessarily a reply to any person being rational about the advantages and disadvantages of the offered solutions.

I'd have loved for the DS4 to have a screen. That said, at least it has multitouch.
I'd have loved for the GamePad to have resistive multitouch. That said, at least it has a screen. Boom.

majik13

My lord Ubisoft has a development studio in ROMANIA? ACIV's credits are going to be longer than the entire LotR trilogy.

Also it is ironic that a game that revolves around using current technology in surprising ways cannot figure out how to utilize the Gamepad.

damn, how many times has then been said? did nobody actually read the OP? or did everyone only knee jerk from the thread title?

They said that it is not hard to imagine what they could do with the gamepad, conisdering the main chatacters in game device. All they have said is they havent decided yet. Not that they have no idea.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's going on with that Ghost Recon game on Wii U? Wasn't that the first major third party game demoed for the system?
I wouldn't call it major considering that the first we heard of it was going to be the f2p PC multi player FPS, though I think they later said, but have yet to demo, that it would get a port of the non f2p game with single and multi player. Or maybe they said that about PC, I forget. I dunno.

Tobor

Yet not having a screen at all for the same reason is somehow awesome. And nobody said you don't have more options with multi touch, just that they're quite often irrelevant, unnecessary and there are plenty possibilities without it contrary to people pushing the opinion that a single touch screen controller is universally useless. If someone responds to a person like that, that's not necessarily a reply to any person being rational about the advantages and disadvantages of the offered solutions.

I'd have loved for the DS4 to have a screen. That said, at least it has multitouch.

Zarovitch

Can you point me which games use two screens that is better than what the WiiU do?

Tobor

What can you do with a screen-less multitouch that you can't with an analog stick?

Off the top of my head, pinch to zoom and rotate, better manipulation of 3d objects, gestures to add additional input.

The point is it offers additional possibilities while removing nothing from the standard experience.

I bet this is a horrible port if they're saying this. Outsourcing to some amateurs with not a lot of a resume in Romania.
They have a pretty big resume actually, though it's mostly porting and support work (Ghost Recon FS, AssCreed 2/3/Brotherhood/Revelations, Just Dance 3/4, etc). Their one homegrown claim to fame is really the HAWX series, which people generally liked quite a bit.

Bucharest's work is pretty solid and they're actually Ubi's 3rd oldest studio (after Montpellier and Paris). The Ubi studios you really have to worry about for crappy ports are Casablanca and Shanghai.

Probably another year until everyone fully transitions solely to the next gen consoles, then it won't get any ports at all :p

Thanks man from the future, please stay around. What should I get PS4, Xbox720 or PC?

Again, most people get the Wii U as a companion console. 3rd party support is nice to have, but more interesting are the partnerships Nintendo is seeking as we will get some nice exclusives coupled with the 1st Party stuff, all good.

As for this Port nothing to say really until we can see something. Nice part is that the game is already running on the Wii U, so some hope there.

deviljho

Off the top of my head, pinch to zoom and rotate, better manipulation of 3d objects, gestures to add additional input.

The point is it offers additional possibilities while removing nothing from the standard experience.

If there is no screen, then pinch-to-zoom is blind, defeating the purpose. You can replicate such a blind feature with analog sticks of buttons. You can use an analog stick to rotate or otherwise manipulate 3D objects, etc...

The question was how does a screen-less multitouch add features over an analog stick... but you just wrote some things you people might do with a regular smartphone.

Oppo

Considering the AR angle of Watch Dogs, I would think a mode where you can hold the tablet up in front of your TV to provide the "overlay" they show in the videos is sort of an obvious use. Not sure how that would translate in actual gameplay but the Shield Post sort of demo comes to mind.

deviljo said:
If there is no screen, then pinch-to-zoom is blind, defeating the purpose. You can replicate such a blind feature with analog sticks of buttons. You can use an analog stick to rotate or otherwise manipulate 3D objects, etc...
It is "blind" but think of it like a laptop trackpad (or mouse for that matter). Those are "blind" but you don't have any trouble with making the mental connection.

Analog stick is a variable 360º unidirectional input. You can move something at a variable speed in one direction. Multitouch is multiple inputs (2 or more) registering point hits on a canvas, with or without directional info (double tap vs pinch/zoom). They're not really comparable that way.

Honestly I think the trackpad on the new dual shock will be used mainly for scrolling lists and swiping gestures. It will be just fine for that. Think of the double-finger scroll on MacBooks. It's the sort of thing that seems gimmicky until you use it, then you scream at the sky when it's not there. (I'm looking at you, crappy PC test laptop on my desk.)

MYE

The fact the GamePad isn't multi-touch makes it feel tacked on itself. Nintendo basically guaranteed no developer will ever really use it in an interesting way.

yeah, no. DS/3DS have plenty of interesting touch based games so...no.

Tobor

The question was how does a screen-less multitouch add features over an analog stick... but you just wrote some things you people might do with a regular smartphone.

I take it you've never used an Apple trackpad? All of the stuff I mentioned work perfectly on my desktop computer, and the trackpad is not a screen.

It's unfortunate Nintendo went that route but I guess I can see their reasons. I just don't think anyone wants to whip out a stylus in the middle of playing Watch Dogs. I do think Ubi will do something cool with that screen that will make the PS4/720 players a bit envious of that aspect though. It's just too tempting. Really curious to see how the SmartGlass/PS App stuff matches up, if at all.

I think they will do some cool stuff, but I don't think they will make PS4/720 owners envious as I think smarglass/ps app for tablets/smartphones/vita will provide something similar, if not better, for users that have those devices. If PS app and Smartglass only require something like Android 4 or above (like smarglass is now), then they should reach a wide audience. Smartglass has been downloaded over 1 million times on google play plus however many times on iOS and WM8.

Now, of course, for WiiU that feature will be standard and for PS4/720 that will be an extra/optional feature a la kinect/move in some games (Dead Space 3, Portal, for example, if you have it you can use it, if not, then don't and the game will play just as well) and the WiiU will be the most elegant solutions in most cases as you would have to use your DS4/720 controller and set your ipad/phone on your coffee table and interact with it when asked by the game. The vita would come closest to replicating the experience on WiiU. Regardless, this is not a Wii - PS3/360 situation where in 2006-2010 the Wii had a monopoly for waggle, fitines, pointer games and the like. The alternative for the other systems will be there, possibly day 1.

deviljho

I take it you've never used an Apple trackpad? All of the stuff I mentioned work perfectly on my desktop computer, and the trackpad is not a screen.

Are you even reading? I've already said twice.. how does a screen-less multitouch (trackpad/touchpad) add functionality that can't already be available with an analog stick.

I never said touchpads are useless.

Derrick01

Banned
Thanks man from the future, please stay around. What should I get PS4, Xbox720 or PC?

Games that Wii U won't be able to run without drastically compromising the intended vision of the game. Also games on engines that were made for ps4/720 and PC, so most won't even bother with a Wii U version since it'll be too much work.

I didn't think that was doing some kind of grand prophecy or anything. It just seemed like common sense to me.

edit: Oh I read that as what can I expect from those systems :p. In that case buy all 3!

Top Bottom