• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 |OT| .HTML

malfcn

I'm enjoying the game. Mostly just side missions. The content is sometimes lacking: drive to site and hack with pressing LB once. That's it. Different mission is to drive somewhere else and press LB. Sometimes you press LB a few times.

The gun play and action is what you want, but that can be dull. Run up, hack, shock shock hack shock and it's over. Going gun blazing is more fun, but feels contradictory to the character.

Maybe the main missions will have more diversity.

DirtyLarry

Just beat the campaign. Definitely a GOTY contender for myself. And there are some true contenders, but overall I think it is the game I had the most damn fun playing. The variety of things helped. I really dug all the side races with the drones and the motocross stuff. Real nice quick deviations.

It is definitely the game this year I played and beat the quickest.
Granted I had a rare week where I could play every single night after work. Shit, I have seriously not had the luxury of doing that for a good 10 years now if not longer.
So that helped.
But, I have an insane backlog. Of good games too.
And I played this game straight through for all intents and purposes. Just one of the nights I played a little BF1 MP for about an hour and went back to this game.

What I thought they did a good job of is I really felt more badass the more I progressed. For over half the game my attempts at stealth failed miserably. In fact earlier in this thread I somewhat complained by just how much it seemed stealth seemed impossible.
I pretty much did the last 4 missions full stealth except for one of the submissions in the final mission and it was as if the game did not want me to stealth it.
I am curious to check out some playthroughs of that
Wrench section
on the final mission just to see how in the hell people pulled stealth off there. That is some next level shit if they did.

The other thing is I am one of those assholes that pretty much immediately dismisses story in video games. I read a lot (I realize that alone sounds elitist, but it is true), and always have, so I just feel video games are in their infancy as far as effectively telling a story. With that said, the subject matter is right up my alley. Just really a classic big brother story when all is said and done and I am always on board for that message. I also loved the aesthetic of everything. Being a little older (41), there was the possibility of this game making me feel out of touch with the younger protagonist more or less (of course Ray felt like me), but that never happened. The team did a real good job of making it seem authentic enough but not unrelatable or overboard. I actually liked all the characters, and the fact Marcus considered Eric B & Rakim his get amped song was just an added bonus.

The first game did not grab me at all either. I just stopped playing it early on. I may go back and revisit it now.

My hats off to Ubisoft. Damn good job overall.

The attention to detail when it comes to npc interactions in Ubisofy games is unmatched imho. They always do things that other devs avoid entirely. Like moving around a space, interaction with multiple objects holding hands, lots of npcs doing something at once, etc. they inject so many that it's astounding. Great dancing gif btw.

Yeah, this is one area I think the yearly iterations on Assassin's Creed have massively aided Ubisoft's open world design. They've improved those small canned NPC animations little by little, to the point that Watch_Dogs 2 is able to throw them at you in much higher numbers. On top of that, there's a layer of dynamic NPC reactions in this game to a level they've never done, which mix into those canned interactions and make the world shine. Everything has a response. Car crashes, emotes, fights, pulling out a weapon, gunfire, car theft, bumping into people, taking selfies/pictures, driving too close to the sidewalks, etc. They even coded in a reaction to stealing a parked car that happens to belong to someone that was about to get in.. Yesterday someone posted that scenario where a dog will actually lie down next to his owner if they get killed, which I haven't even seen yet. Even the little Nudle robots have response barks and cause NPC reactions with their scans.

This is before getting into the gang/security/police activity and responses. For example, security actually tell NPCs to move along if they happen to walk into secured areas just like they do to you, and I'm fairly certain I've seen them stun people for taking too long. Patrolling police cars that end up next to random NPC fights will actively warn them to stop, and react as the fight unfolds. Then the NPC being arrested can either submit or run. Then sometimes their friend/significant other will start accosting the police and escalate the whole thing. I'm also pretty sure I've seen a gang war start in a restaurant in Oakland. There's just an absurd amount of variables.

Jeffrey

used quadcopter to call gang hits on guards, took over forklift, got van out of shipping crate, got skill item.

this took a comically long time. It was a prolonged battle and 3 min struggle with the forklift to finally get the van out. Had to edit way down for clip

you know you could have just hacked the van to reverse outta there :p

Man this mission where you meet
I assume the big baddie
and you have to escape a police scenario was fucking rough.

died like 4 times trying to escape. Eventually i just started calling gang hits to thin stuff out than just slowly tazed everyone until there was no dudes and the escape countdown began.

This game needs less of this stuff... please.

The
Alcatraz Prison
mission is annoying as shit to stealth.

You talking about $911? Yeah, it's a bit cumbersome unless you go all out with Mass Hack and Blackout.

Relating to that, I can't believe they didn't put the music for that mission on the soundtrack. It's so good.

SJRB

Gold Member
The
Alcatraz Prison

Yeah after getting caught and restarting 3 times I was just like "fuck this", hid on the roof and tazed everyone who came up there until literally everyone was down.

Still took forever to lose the wanted level, but there's a super high-powered speedboat hidden in a boathouse that will take you to safety.

Also can't believe there's no easter egg with a reference to the movie. I checked everywhere for green orbs, or perhaps some cloth hanging around the prison door release mechanism. Nothing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The
Alcatraz Prison

Yeah one of the harder ones. I eventually did some distraction with the drone, caused a comm hack, released the dude, and went up to the roof.

There's a boat you can use, so I jumped off and sped out of there.

If you can make that boat getaway with a clean run beforehand, that'd make for a great stealth/show off vid.

The drone races are pretty fun and easy but the sailboat races are hard as hell. I still can't even beat the one that's labeled "Easy".

On another note it is so satisfying to hack another player from land while they are riding away in their boat or when they are on a highway and you're on the ground :).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i find the cars in this are easier to drive and less frustrating than the first game. still not perfect but i am actually enjoying driving. the only thing bothering me is the braking. it takes forever to turn and sometimes you can come to a complete halt. i'm getting the hang of it though.

i'm only about 8 hours in so far and i just done the mission where you
remote control the car and speed through the city with all the fireworks.
. been doing some side quests. i'm already have a load more fun than the first game which i enjoyed. hopefully they do a 3rd!

SomTervo

It's funny about the driving. It actually reminds me of GTA III and San Andreas and i sort of love it for that. It's just simple arcade driving.

If i want high quality driving I go play Mafia 3.

Ya, I can't really get into the game like I could the first one. I had high hopes with the location.

It gets better. Keep at it.

SomTervo

I've pretty much been disappointed by every Ubisoft game I've ever played. I enjoyed the first WD for about the first 4-5 hours and then got bored out of my mind. Is this that much of an improvement that it warrants a buy?

Watch Dogs 2, AC Syndicate and Rainbow Six Siege are some of the best games Ubisoft have ever put out and are among the best games of the last couple of years (across the board).

Yes.

N° 2048

The
Alcatraz Prison

This took me like....I'm not going to lie, at least an hour and a half to stealth...I didn't kill anyone but omg I was sweating bullets especially considering the checkpoint system...

I've pretty much been disappointed by every Ubisoft game I've ever played. I enjoyed the first WD for about the first 4-5 hours and then got bored out of my mind. Is this that much of an improvement that it warrants a buy?

End of the day its 100% an Ubi game, done in the most Ubi way possible. The thing that seperates WD2 from previous Ubi iterations is the characters are a bit more silly and fun, and the setting is fun to explore especially if you have ever lived/visited the bay area.

I'm playing this and Ezio Collection simultaneously and you see all the same stuff, from the collectathons to the goofy dialogues to the facial exaggerations to the mission setups. I like AC2 because of the characters and setting (1500s Italy), I like Watch Dogs 2 for the same reason.

I think if you didn't like AC2, AC4, Far Cry 3 or 4 or Primal, or The Division you won't like Watch Dogs 2. It doesn't really do anything new or different, just repackaged in a new place. I did NOT like Watch Dogs 1 at all, found it too dour and boring, but I like WD2 so far. But mechanics/gameplay wise its pretty much the same thing.

deejay

This is bull. There are some insanely fast cars in this game.

Papavero disagrees with you ;)

I know shit about cars but I bought a fast one just yesterday and it was barely any faster than the traffic cars. They are RIDICULOUSLY slow. There is absolutely no sense of speed unless you use the boost.

I really don't understand why they removed the ability to control volume individually for music, speech and sound effects. There is only master volume. So if you sit in a car and drive around all effects like the engine etc are also really loud when you want to hear loud music. Don't get how they could screw such a thing up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Non-lethal takedowns via hacking seem borderline useless, honestly.

AI guards are SO easily alerted by others getting knocked out. There should at least be a period once someone's knocked out that they can't instantly be woken back up

I appreciate that there is a challenge in the combat but why is everyone with a gun insane? And why do they have fucking grenades? Obviously you are not supposed to get into combat but considering how trigger happy everyone is I often just kill everyone. I guess the old saying is right, violence begets violence.

That said the most fun I've had is getting gangs to fight each other with the police getting involved and the occasional bystander too. Just a constant stream of all kinds of great stuff going on.

Megasoum

Banned
That HAUM mission where you have to stay in the circle for like 5min while a bunch of gards patrol around you is really annoying...

That HAUM mission where you have to stay in the circle for like 5min while a bunch of gards patrol around you is really annoying...

you can do that mission without ever getting near a guard...

stay on the roof and send the jumper in to do the first part and send the drone to do the puzzle...then get in the circle on the roof

---

had a random NPC couple get into a fight near me tonight...the guy ended up hitting the girl so I called the cops on him...he resisted arrest twice and on the second time he got shot

dcx4610

Has anyone found a way to get the game to recognize the Xbox One S controller over Bluetooth? It works in every other game but WD2.

Just beat the campaign. Definitely a GOTY contender for myself. And there are some true contenders, but overall I think it is the game I had the most damn fun playing. The variety of things helped. I really dug all the side races with the drones and the motocross stuff. Real nice quick deviations.

It is definitely the game this year I played and beat the quickest.
Granted I had a rare week where I could play every single night after work. Shit, I have seriously not had the luxury of doing that for a good 10 years now if not longer.
So that helped.
But, I have an insane backlog. Of good games too.
And I played this game straight through for all intents and purposes. Just one of the nights I played a little BF1 MP for about an hour and went back to this game.

What I thought they did a good job of is I really felt more badass the more I progressed. For over half the game my attempts at stealth failed miserably. In fact earlier in this thread I somewhat complained by just how much it seemed stealth seemed impossible.
I pretty much did the last 4 missions full stealth except for one of the submissions in the final mission and it was as if the game did not want me to stealth it.
I am curious to check out some playthroughs of that
Wrench section
on the final mission just to see how in the hell people pulled stealth off there. That is some next level shit if they did.

The other thing is I am one of those assholes that pretty much immediately dismisses story in video games. I read a lot (I realize that alone sounds elitist, but it is true), and always have, so I just feel video games are in their infancy as far as effectively telling a story. With that said, the subject matter is right up my alley. Just really a classic big brother story when all is said and done and I am always on board for that message. I also loved the aesthetic of everything. Being a little older (41), there was the possibility of this game making me feel out of touch with the younger protagonist more or less (of course Ray felt like me), but that never happened. The team did a real good job of making it seem authentic enough but not unrelatable or overboard. I actually liked all the characters, and the fact Marcus considered Eric B & Rakim his get amped song was just an added bonus.

The first game did not grab me at all either. I just stopped playing it early on. I may go back and revisit it now.

My hats off to Ubisoft. Damn good job overall.

thanks for the write-up!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are there any permanent non-lethal takedown options in the game or do they all just last a couple of minutes?

Jeffrey

Unlocked the final gang upgrade... and this is seriously broken lol. These units have like near infinite hp.

Get that and the reduced bot energy usage for hacking, and you can kinda just spam gang hits while doing bot recharges and clear every map lol.

I've only played about 10 minutes of the game so far but I am a little annoyed about how difficult it has been to even get going. I'm relatively new to PC gaming, but a couple of things have irked me about WD2...

1) Being forced to sign up to uplay to play the game despite downloading from Steam.
2) Having an overclocked GTX1080 with a stock i7 6700k 4ghz i can usually stick games into 4K Ultra and then knock down a couple of settings to Very high, shadows to medium or high, and pretty much hit 60fps with some dips in very intense areas. With WD2 i cannot get anything over 45fps with my usual options.
3) What this guys said...

Has anyone found a way to get the game to recognize the Xbox One S controller over Bluetooth? It works in every other game but WD2.

I cannot even start to explain how ridiculous I think it is that a game cannot use this controller. Even worse, on the Ubi forums is seems like the admins can't quite grasp that this controller exists and keep asking people what dongle they are using.

So yeah, despite loving Rise of the Tomb raider, Gears of War 4, Doom etc, WD2 has put a salty taste in my PC gaming mouth.

Danj

Not sure if this is the thread I should be posting in for this, but I was wondering if someone here might be able to help me.

I got a promotional code for Watch_Dogs 2 as part of a Samsung SSD promotion, but I can't use it because the promotion is restricted to the USA (check out the fine print at the bottom of that site). So I was wondering if anyone here who lives in the USA would be prepared to trade me a Watch_Dogs 2 code I can use in the UK (either Steam gift or uplay code, I'm not massively bothered which) for the promotional one?

I realise that means I'd have to give up my code first so whoever it was could try it, but I can't use the code anyway so I've not really got anything to lose I think.

Also if I should be posting this in a different thread please point me in the right direction.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure if this is the thread I should be posting in for this, but I was wondering if someone here might be able to help me.

I got a promotional code for Watch_Dogs 2 as part of a Samsung SSD promotion, but I can't use it because the promotion is restricted to the USA (check out the fine print at the bottom of that site). So I was wondering if anyone here who lives in the USA would be prepared to trade me a Watch_Dogs 2 code I can use in the UK (either Steam gift or uplay code, I'm not massively bothered which) for the promotional one?

I realise that means I'd have to give up my code first so whoever it was could try it, but I can't use the code anyway so I've not really got anything to lose I think.

Also if I should be posting this in a different thread please point me in the right direction.

Use a proxy/VPN to access the redemption site. The Uplay key itself is region-free.

SomTervo

I dont have car hacking powers :( also I didn't know that power existed

It's worth having a good deep look at the skill tree. Some very powerful upgrades that make gameplay easier and you can start saving for them.

Check out the pinned BST (buy sell trade) thread under Community.

Use a proxy/VPN to access the redemption site. The Uplay key itself is region-free.

Ooh, nice.

Top Bottom