• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - Welcome to Chicago Trailer

Where the hell did this go?

watch_dog-1587h2.gif
What graphical feature is missing from today's trailer that is apparent in this gif?

jayu26

What we're seeing now is way more realistic and a natural evolution of what we had last generation. It has better looking assets than last gen games, higher resolution, and hopefully better performance.

The leap from last gen to what's in the above gif is not realistic at all.

I think inFamous proves that that's not true.

cackhyena

As much as I loved Infamous SS and agree that it's a beautiful game 90% of the time, it looks pretty rough in places. Like any game. Take a good long look and you'll see it too. (Not you personally, just people in general).
Where are you talking about exactly? If you are comparing most things in general between these two games, SS blows this out of the water to me. I don't think this game looks bad, though. Hyperbole is in full effect around here, but that's gafs thing.

Violater

Because of the behavior of lighting and reflections, a water-soaked nighttime scene tends to look more impressive than it would in other circumstances. I'd like to see those same situations in a closer-to-final version before putting my foot down either way, but I wouldn't count it out yet.

That's kinda how I feel but the ensuing scenario of explosions and particles definitely don't match up from what we have seen.

infamous looks good but it doesn't get close to looking Watch Dogs Reveal good come on

Seattle can get a little sterile and lifeless, it's not that dense nor is it all that large, time of day changes are scripted, the water isn't all that impressive, etc.

It looks... fine I guess. Nothing groundbreaking or anything. I think they screwed up showing that amazing trailer and then showing what it actually looks like.

Reveal trailer made my imagination fly. I was completely excited about the possibilities. Now it just looks like any other cross gen game. Too bad though, since there are other developers that are getting better results.

have you seen the division?

infamous looks good but it doesn't get close to looking Watch Dogs Reveal good come on

Seattle can get a little sterile and lifeless, it's not that dense nor is it all that large, time of day changes are scripted, the water isn't all that impressive, etc.

The Order does look as good though... I guess it isn't open world though.
OT, but this looks much better. Not as good as the initial reveal, but I'm hoping that it will still be good, as I need a proper open world game on my PS4 (infamous is good, but the world isn't as alive as most open world games).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So is it just me or does anyone else think the main character design is just terrible?

Because it is just terrible. I try to get over it with every video, but I can't. He looks so stupid.

SJRB

Gold Member

What Infamous proves is that you can achieve amazing graphical fidelity if you completely remove day/night cycle in favour of carefully selected set times of day and remove any form of dynamics in terms of NPCs, vehicles, weather, etc.

GavinUK86

No. Infamous does actually look really good. Watch_Dogs looks like shit.

I know this is probably a terrible example but the only way I can get screenshots from my PS4 is with the share button (which compresses the hell out of the shots). Not all of Infamous is pretty. People seem to be cherry picking images to use in their argument on how good looking the game is. This is a recent shot where I thought, holy shit, that is butt ugly.
At the moment, we have no examples of how Watch_Dogs actually looks when playing it.

cackhyena

So is it just me or does anyone else think the main character design is just terrible?

Because it is just terrible. I try to get over it with every video, but I can't. He looks so stupid.
It's just the generic ball cap for me. So dumb. If you're wanted and you're wearing the same goddamn clothes all the time anyway, give up the shitty hat, comb your hair and smile for the camera you're about to hack.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I know this is probably a terrible example but the only way I can get screenshots from my PS4 is with the share button (which compresses the hell out of the shots). Not all of Infamous is pretty. People seem to be cherry picking images to use in their argument on how good looking the game is. This is a recent shot where I thought, holy shit, that is butt ugly.

At the moment, we have no examples of how Watch_Dogs actually looks when playing it.

That screenshot is compressed as hell and low res. The game might not be incredible graphically but it IS good looking. Come on now.

GavinUK86

That screenshot is compressed as hell and low res. The game might not be incredible graphically but it IS good looking. Come on now.

You're missing my point. I explained that it's compressed but a native high res shot isn't going to make it look any better. Look at the buildings. I could go on and on with shots on how it isn't that good looking but this is a Watch_Dogs thread and I don't wanna derail it. I just think people need to cut out the bashing a bit until it comes out.

jayu26

Here is what Watch Dogs looked like at reveeal...

Here is Infamous...

I understand that both are youtube videos and compressed to hell and back, but if I set them at 720p inFamous looks better to me.

Yes inFamous has baked lighting, but it's also doing things Watch Dogs will never do. Particle effects for instance.

The Goat

Game should only take place at night, in the rain. Their daylight lighting model isn't working. Game looks flat and unappealing.

Thread like this scare me a bit, is this for real? Guys, I hope mobile take over soon because we don't deserve anything. I don't expect this on GAF btw

It does to me. The only things that stand out to me that make it more next gen are some of the physics and animation. That's about it. Other than that, it looks like slightly prettier last gen game in most places.

Please find me some legitimate screengrabs or native footage of open world games last generation that you believe to near what you've just seen in terms of visual quality.

jack this up to 1080p fullscreen. Only open world game last gen that comes close and it cost waaaaay more to realize than any other game ever made, runs at a lower resolution, and hardly even makes it to 30fps most of the itme

Here is what Watch Dogs looked like at reveeal...

Here is Infamous...

I understand that both are youtube videos and compressed to hell and back, but if I set them at 720p inFamous looks better to me.

Yes inFamous has baked lighting, but it's also doing things Watch Dogs will never do. Particle effects for instance.

I've played and beaten infamous and it looks damn nice but it just flat out doesn't match the watch dogs reveal trailer in terms of tech. Very few games do much less infamous. That you have to set both to 720p and I assume not even fullscreen says enough

k4n3

Banned
i think the downgrades come just because this was one of if not the first next gen game shown publicly and at the time they didn't really know what they would have to work with

correct me if im wrong but we actually saw this game before the next gen consoles were even announced so i can cut them some slack

Please find me some legitimate screengrabs or native footage of open world games last generation that you believe to near what you've just seen in terms of visual quality.

jack this up to 1080p fullscreen. Only open world game last gen that comes close and it cost waaaaay more to realize than any other game ever made, runs at a lower resolution, and hardly even makes it to 30fps most of the itme

i think sleeping dogs might have been the best looking modern city open world game (on pc). And I think this might look a bit better (still hard to tell from these horrific cut together ubisoft quality trailers).

Kiant

i think the downgrades come just because this was one of if not the first next gen game shown publicly and at the time they didn't really know what they would have to work with

correct me if im wrong but we actually saw this game before the next gen consoles were even announced so i can cut them some slack

Think it's more the fact that they have dodged the question and denied downgradation, especially that live stream where they were going to "address our concerns". Personally though I think the game will still be good even if the graphics have been slapped down. Just love the idea of being a vigilante in a living breathing city, your actions effecting how your viewed by the media and public.

A 66k image......are you serious?

charsace

I remember then this game was the definition of next gen. Funny it's the definition of not-next gen now. Hopefully it's good on itself. I LOVE virtual tourism!
Because of the graphics? It could have the best and/or the most unique gameplay of all the NG games so far.

Ways to get banned really fast: The Post.

The lighting and shadow effects aren't close to SS. I'm not sure why you're defensive, but why exactly do you think this? We were shown "next-gen" promises with Virtual Boy delivery. You can't just pull shit out of the air, say it will be in a game, and then release a game that looks vaguely similar to a last-fen game on the visual front. And to think we were being lied to almost all the way up to its initial launch date, it would've been a goddamn travesty.

They deserve all the flak they get, especially the fact that they're still being dodgy when asked ANYTHING about the game, other than what we've known since forever ago.

Ive played Infamous and the visuals are amazing, but it can have its ugly moments. Just like this game can have its graphically good and bad moments. I don't know why people think this game looks like shit it looks amazing.

Also the devs never really lied about this game, when they first showed this game off the ps4 and xbone didnt even exist. They werent announced yet. That year they showed the game on a high end pc. They NEXT year they showed the ps4 version and obviously its gonna be downgrade. The ps4 isnt a high end pc. But dam the game still looks great and the devs have said there hasnt been a "downgrade" for the ps4 version.

If you want to play this game like it was shown the first time, get it for the PC. If you want to play this game like it was shown on PS4 get it for consoles.

But in the end we will just have to wait to actually play the game in the end to see how the visuals hold up and compare it what they've shown at E3.

Probably because this is being rendered in real time and the game on this platform which I am hoping is PS3 has framerate stutters.

But even those parts looked bad. Seriously GTA V on PS3/360 looks better than this.

Let's see you prove that without resorting to GTA V bullshots.

Protip - you can't so why are people even saying that shit

Everything looks great squeezed into a tiny GIF. Same scene in the trailer didn't look half as good.

Everything with any hint of urban styling to it looks half as good once squeezed through the youtube shit encode machine; I know, I've tried

the more detailed the original image is, the more detail gets lost

Neofx

I used to think Ubisoft made amazing trailers. :( (AC)

But I'll still buy this anyway, I still like the concept.

I think this trailer looked pretty good. Probably day one if next trailers keep convincing me, my Xbox One is hungry for games (yeah, I've seen Titanfall. Yeah, not interested)

Top Bottom