• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - Welcome to Chicago Trailer

Wiseguy

Banned
yup streets look way to bland and dull. Everything just feels completely off and the feeling of the city looks to be lost now. It's going to look like Chicago but it's most likely not going to feel like chicago.

Also it doesn't seem they removed that giant bridge over all that water which doesn't exist in chicago. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch the jimmy fallon demo and they go over this HUGE bridge that's over water.

Basically they took a lot of liberties with the city. It's their version of Chicago.

Sears tower(Willis) has antennas the wrong way. Street signs look different. Geography is slightly altered. It's like they combined parts of Chicago with Milwaukee & maybe Montreal?

We'll just have to suspend disbelief and hopefully it'll be fun to play. I'd really like to see what Rockstar or even Sucker Punch could do with a Chicago map. Maybe one day.

1395943236-6.jpg

1395943552-13.jpg

1395943561-15.jpg

86790-what-the-fuck-is-that-gif-Imgu-Cn5F.gif

Not my problem if you're blind. Start with the lighting, shadow dithering, horrible AO and aliasing.

And where are the particle effects from the reveal?
'Lighting' is a bit vague. Can you be more specific?

Shadow dithering. Is that the softness of the shadows? Because they were plenty soft in the original footage too.

Horrible AO. I'm not sure where the horrible AO is - please point it out.

Aliasing. The original reveal has aliasing too. If it's inferior that's most likely a performance concession for consoles. It looks fine, appears to be 1080p (or close to) and has some kind of AA solution. The IQ isn't bad by any means.

Which particle effects are you referring to?

Yea, I'm going to wait and see what everyone's opinion of the game is when it hits shelves. Trailer looks decent, but not amazeballs.

Sendou

So is this what Chicago is like? I don't really have an image in my head what kind of city it is supposed to be. Did they do a good job with this area of the game?

Nzyme32

Look at this shit, GAF. Looks absolutely amazeballs.

untitled_378_by_dennisk4-d7bufog.gif

Seems like the shadowing has taken a big hit. No one has a shadow and cars have a simple stencil shadow map. Lighting's also a taken a hit, same with smoke.

Not that any of this really matters too much though

Marcel

So is this what Chicago is like? I don't really have an image in my head what kind of city it is supposed to be. Did they do a good job with this area of the game?

Chicago is my backyard and they get it a bit right with some of the geography and art design. Their heart is in the right place but "good job" on authenticity? Eh, not especially. It's too full of other cities as Wiseguy said.

Now if Rockstar was doing Chicago, put it in my veins.

We'll just have to suspend disbelief and hopefully it'll be fun to play. I'd really like to see what Rockstar or even Sucker Punch could do with a Chicago map. Maybe one day.

Rockstar? Yes. Sucker Punch? Based on that trailer alone, this city has way more in common with Chicago than Infamous: SS's city does with Seattle.

Looks okay. I think the destruction in BF4 and inFamous Second Son look better, though. Even Killzone 2 got the destruction better.

In this GIF alone the lighting does not look dynamic, the particle effects (sparks, glass, metal, etc.) don't bounce and simply clip through and disappear on the ground.

welcome to console GAF where we argue about graphics based on how pretty we recall them being rather than on technical merit

Yeah. I can understand people being disappointed by the downgrades but the hyperbole in every Watch Dogs related thread is getting fucking annoying. It's still rather good looking open world game.

kick51

Banned
Seems like they've nailed some of the views of downtown, but I'm not too confident in the various neighborhoods being fleshed out all that well. Seems like they'll just go with boiled down versions that take the most basic stereotypes- south side = black and violent, north side = white and consumeristic, west side = "hipsters" and "underground bars"

I don't buy that the game mechanics will be very deep or interesting, but that's just cause it's ubisoft.

Theecliff

Banned
Seems like the shadowing has taken a big hit. No one has a shadow and cars have a simple stencil shadow map. Lighting's also a taken a hit, same with smoke.

Not sure if you're aware but you've posted this twice, several pages apart :p

Hoodbury

It's about them being crappy after being advertised as good.

That's not true though, it's just certain areas or time of day or something that a picture doesn't look good, but a lot of the areas do look really good still. It's more that the first reveal didn't show any of those bad spots.

It's funny that they do include those shots in these newer trailers though. But again, some of it still looks damn good to me. Just look at the GIFs Dennis and others have made.

Wiseguy

Banned
Rockstar? Yes. Sucker Punch? Based on that trailer alone, this city has way more in common with Chicago than Infamous: SS's city does with Seattle.

True, all SP did was to make the major landmarks, everything else is made for gameplay fluidity. Still, I think they're good team and the Space Needle looks authentic.

So you're ignoring all the other parts of the trailer that clearly show everyone casting a shadow, and the cars casting a proper shadow too? It's a particular lighting condition that has caused this. And everyone does still have a shadow, if you look carefully.

Shameless ripoff of Rockstar's docu-trailers, but I liked it. I think the game's looking good. Pretty excited to try it. As long as the game plays smoothly and it lives up to the shit they're talking about in the trailer, I'll be content.

I'm wondering too, hahaha. That's freaking weird. I hope Aiden Pierce is crazy and we go with him on hallucination trips.

Marcel

Seems like they've nailed some of the views of downtown, but I'm not too confident in the various neighborhoods being fleshed out all that well. Seems like they'll just go with boiled down versions that take the most basic stereotypes- south side = black and violent, north side = white and consumeristic, west side = "hipsters" and "underground bars"

I don't buy that the game mechanics will be very deep or interesting, but that's just cause it's ubisoft.

If there are no obnoxious frat boys and puking drunks near Watch_Dogs' version of Wrigley Field, they aren't doing it right.

Nzyme32

So you're ignoring all the other parts of the trailer that clearly show everyone casting a shadow, and the cars casting a proper shadow too? It's a particular lighting condition that has caused this. And everyone does still have a shadow, if you look carefully.

So your ignoring that then. We can't just pick and choose. It's pretty clear. The question is, is there a reasoning behind having it in some scenes and not in others? I have no idea, but if it's not consistent, then it's not consistent. Maybe one is gameplay the other is cutscene? I don't now

Violater

So your ignoring that then. We can't just pick and choose. It's pretty clear. The question is, is there a reasoning behind having it in some scenes and not in others? I have no idea, but if it's not consistent, then it's not consistent. Maybe one is gameplay the other is cutscene? I don't now

Please post pics of the scenes you are referring to.

kick51

Banned
If there are no obnoxious frat boys and puking drunks near Watch_Dog's version of Wrigley Field, they aren't doing it right.

if those types aren't fucking everywhere after 7pm 7 days a week, they haven't nailed Wrigleyville lol

i'm guessing it'll be very tame and safe, like most ubi stuff........now I want rockstar to do chicago but it would probably be too samey for everyone but chicago residents :(

dcx4610

People think this looks bad? Has your only system been the 360/PS3? I think it looks fantastic. Especially for technically a launch title that is also being developed on last generation.

It looks better than GTA5 which was a technical marvel in a lot of ways. To that this soon is impressive.

Kyoufu

It looks great. It plays great due to good gameplay mechanics. That doesn't stop the actual world from feeling very lifeless compared to other open world games. I for one wish they would have focused less on making the game look so pretty and more on making the world feel alive. The world really does pale in comparison to the likes of GTA and, yes, what we've seen of Watch Dogs. It suffers the same way the first two games suffered in that respect.

I don't disagree. Hopefully that area is improved in the next iterations.

However with all the interactivity found in Watch Dogs we don't know if the game will actually be good or not. I'm hoping it ends up as a compelling game that's worth my time.

Kiant

I can't believe people are defending this. Does it look terrible? No. But it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did a year ago. Sadly it will sell due to lack of games on the market for consoles.

Preorder
cancelled

God I do hope you missed the /s.

Sure we all know the graphics have been downgraded but if the games enjoyable are you really going to deny yourself just in spite?

Yes, the weather around here isn't great lol, its always cloudy and windy as shit. The only time I enjoyed riding the train into the city and seeing everything was in June right before it got scorching outside. Anytime we have gone in the fall its always to cold due to the lake effect or just dark and cold. It's very rare to see the Sun shine that bright for more than an hour into the city due to city structure and buildings.

This is how it should look and feel!

9557971305_78a7db5e34_o.jpg

the night time really needs to get that yellow lighting down. It really is a key feature of Chicago.

Nzyme32

Please post pics of the scenes you are referring to.

This is the particular scene we are debating

To me it looks like no one has a shadow, and their are simple stencil shadows for underneath cars, that lack direction.

The other point of view is that it's a specific lighting condition with the preface of, look at other scenes.

Fret

The fake camera shake that was obviously just someone moving the thumbstick around was driving me nuts.

Agreed, jesus that was awful
If they wanted some sort of 'realistic' camera motion, why didn't they put it into After Effects and use wiggle(2,10)

Just put a beanie on the main character and people would have said

"OMG INFAMOUS LOOKS SO GUD!!! NEX GEN"

but since its watch dogs people are saying the graphics sucks, it looks on par with infamous.

Top Bottom