• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching other countries' people eating is hilarious and frustrating

Posted for B Blade2.0 who needs an avatar!!!

I live in China and I'm sure when I put soy sauce into a bowl of white rice they get the same reaction I'm having right now.

I'm at a foreign restaurant here (Western food) and these two cute Chinese girls across the way ordered some burgers.

First thing they did was to take off the top bun with the lettuce and tomato and love it to a new plate and started cutting with her knife leaving the beef and bottom bun on the other plate untouched.

It's cute but also frustrating to watch it go down like that and this isn't the first time I've seen a Chinese person do this with a sandwich or burger.

Just makes me want to shake my head though. Probably how Japanese feel when they watch us eat sushi in the states.

What crazy food atrocities have you witnessed from people from another country being ignorant with proper food eating? Or do you have a story about how you utterly fucked up another country's meal by eating it wrong.

Bullet Club

Banned
How else do you eat by? With just mouth and hands?
Yeah with your hands. They normally come in a bag which you hold it in.

Here's another ex-PM eating a pie, the correct way.

pNDuDrL.jpg

vzWhRtY.jpg

XfnwcMs.jpg

royox

I use normal cutlery on asian restaurants.I can't eat rice and noodles with the god damn sticks.

I eat pizza with knife and fork sometimes

I do that when I'm on a date with a cutie. Also it's the "normal way" to eat them in good restaurants.

lil puff

I find it kinda funny seeing food spread out on the floor with a bunch of people on their knees eating it with their hands.

Someone always says "it tastes better with your hands" I doubt that. Why would it taste better?

Ramen places are also funny. All you hear is slurp slurp, soup splashing all over and noodles hanging out everyones mouths- like why does it have to be so loud and messy? Geez, take your time!

Blade2.0

I find it kinda funny seeing food spread out on the floor with a bunch of people on their knees eating it with their hands.

Someone always says "it tastes better with your hands" I doubt that. Why would it taste better?

Ramen places are also funny. All you hear is slurp slurp, soup splashing all over and noodles hanging out everyones mouths- like why does it have to be so loud and messy? Geez, take your time!
I've heard slurping means you like the food. No slurp and you think it's shit

llien

Tried traditional Indian food in, well, India.
It was served on a banana leaf (fed to cows after the meal).
You basically have a mix of sauces as well as non-liquid additions to mix with rice (which you have endless supply of)

Well:
a) It was vegetarian, I'm rather anti-vegetarian and I found it very enjoyable
b) Eating it with cutlery would feel awkward

I must also admit that for me, drinkin bottle beer from the bottle and from a glass doesn't taste the same.

lil puff

Tried traditional Indian food in, well, India.
It was served on a banana leaf (fed to cows after the meal).
You basically have a mix of sauces as well as non-liquid additions to mix with rice (which you have endless supply of)

Well:
a) It was vegetarian, I'm rather anti-vegetarian and I found it very enjoyable
b) Eating it with cutlery would feel awkward

I must also admit that for me, drinkin bottle beer from the bottle and from a glass doesn't taste the same.
I think I prefer cutlery with saucy foods, I'm not a huge fan of finger licking, unless it's like my own bag of crisps/chips or something.

Yeah beer has a chance to breathe in a glass, I do think it tastes a lot better poured, but I tend to spill my beer too much, at least when at home!

For some reason, I seem to hate watching others eat pizza. It's the whole contortion and angling of the pizza towards the mouth, and some people do this weird breathing suck noise if the pizza is too hot.

llien

I'm not a huge fan of finger licking
That's not necessary (I didn't, in fact) but it's still not that nice to watch (and that's why watching someone eat is impolite in many cultures).

Yeah beer has a chance to breathe in a glass, I do think it tastes a lot better poured, but I tend to spill my beer too much, at least when at home!
I think the difference mostly comes from the way beer enter one's mouth, not chemistry and that's also why some people, including me, agree with "Not as tasty when not with hands".

lil puff

That's not necessary (I didn't, in fact) but it's still not that nice to watch (and that's why watching someone eat is impolite in many cultures).

I think the difference mostly comes from the way beer enter one's mouth, not chemistry and that's also why some people, including me, agree with "Not as tasty when not with hands".
I seriously don't understand people at a lunchplace, that sit directly across from me when there are other places to sit. Like what is wrong with these people? Ruins my friggin lunch.

RE Beer: That's a good point, I can see that. Like how ice cream is different on a cone than with a spoon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hate getting my hands dirty eating food. Food I use a knife and fork most of the time. Don't see the point of getting hands dirty when your surfing the net at the same time using k/m. So I'll use a f/k with chicken wings or pizza.

And sometimes I'll use a spoon to eat potato chips if the chips aren't very big..... crumpled bits at the end or small kettle chips.

Also, if you're eating something like this, might as well use utensils the whole way through.

persian-cuisine-chicken-wings-KP6TC6.jpg

SoulUnison

Banned
When I visited China multiple restaurants served us piping hot tea in the type of handle-less glass you'd normally serve, like, soda or iced tea in.

I'm surprised people aren't regularly getting third-degree burns over there.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Posted for B Blade2.0 who needs an avatar!!!

I live in China and I'm sure when I put soy sauce into a bowl of white rice they get the same reaction I'm having right now.

Why are you putting soy sauce on your rice? That makes me cringe and I'm an American.

Actually, you are supposed to eat sushi with your fingers.

Also don't dip the rice in the soy sauce, you uncultured swine. Fish side goes in the sauce.

Susurrus

I've heard slurping means you like the food. No slurp and you think it's shit

Can't speak for China, but for Japan that is a horribly wrong rumor. Don't do it, and the people that due are considered slobs that were raised poorly, kind of like chewing with your mouth open. The only exception is Soba, but even then that's going away. Source: My Japanese wife.

Actually, you are supposed to eat sushi with your fingers.

From what I understand is it is optional, but honestly I've never seen a Japanese person eat sushi with fingers, including above mentioned wife and her side of the family and her friends. That being said, while I was living in Japan I went to social gatherings where sushi was finger food, but that's the only exception I've known.

Can't speak for China, but for Japan that is a horribly wrong rumor. Don't do it, and the people that due are considered slobs that were raised poorly, kind of like chewing with your mouth open. The only exception is Soba, but even then that's going away. Source: My Japanese wif

I brought that up with my ex (also Japanese), and she said it is done to cool the noodles. Never said anything about it being rude - she always slurped noodles.

Blade2.0

Why are you putting soy sauce on your rice? That makes me cringe and I'm an American.

Also don't dip the rice in the soy sauce, you uncultured swine. Fish side goes in the sauce.
I did it all in. And I put the wasabi in the soy sauce and mix it up in it. I'm sure I'm a heathen.

Klondyke

Banned
I eat my Pizza and Burgers always with a knife and fork. FIGHT ME!

On a more serious note, why can't people eat like they see fit? Like who the hell eats spaghetti with a fucking spoon and fork?

Blade2.0

I eat my Pizza and Burgers always with a knife and fork. FIGHT ME!

On a more serious note, why can't people eat like they see fit? Like who the hell eats spaghetti with a fucking spoon and fork?
I don't even know how to eat a burger with a fork and knife. How to cut it for an easy fork load without splitting it like the girls did? But that means you aren't eating a burger anymore, but a half salad half steak with bread.

Klondyke

Banned
I don't even know how to eat a burger with a fork and knife. How to cut it for an easy fork load without splitting it like the girls did? But that means you aren't eating a burger anymore, but a half salad half steak with bread.

original

Amazing Isn't it?

Shifty

First thing they did was to take off the top bun with the lettuce and tomato and love it to a new plate and started cutting with her knife leaving the beef and bottom bun on the other plate untouched.
Was it one of those fancy-pants burgers that's so tall it comes with a knife stuck through the top to keep it structurally sound?

Because that shit is bizarre. I want my burgers wide, not high!

lil puff

People who think you must eat in a certain way with certain condiments annoy me
When people are adamant about things, or make the same tired jokes about things like ketchup on hot dogs, or the usual mayo/fries hyperboles, I agree.

However, eating fried chicken or sandwich with a knife/fork or eating pizza backwards may make me pause a bit, I certainly wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

I get a lot of flak for it, but I want knife/fork rather than chopsticks in most (not all) situations. Going out with some Koreans, it's almost like their feelings get hurt, or they feel embarrassed if I ask for a knife/fork. Or if I do not like to mix my bibimbap - I like the taste of it unmixed, they seem to get really disturbed. Like when I used to go to KTown, they always made sure we sat in the back where no one could see me. It's really a level of shame and insecurity that I don't understand.

Ma-Yuan

My wife is asian she cant eat burgers or subs properly always takes them apart that drives me nuts >< its a mess :D

lil puff

My wife is asian she cant eat burgers or subs properly always takes them apart that drives me nuts >< its a mess :D
hahha.

I used to do that with McDs when I was young.

Take the burger apart and eat it piece by piece. It made the meal feel bigger and I enjoyed eating the ingredients separate.

I tend to still separate things, but not so obviously anymore. Like I'll pick the toppings off pizza and eat them individually, then eat the cheese slice. Or eat the chocolate around a Reeses Cup and try to separate the peanut butter. Or Combos Pretzel snacks, I'll eat the outside first than the filling.

Solis

Neophyte
Whenever I have a burger in a restaurant, I have to eat it with a fork and knife, as my hands/mouth are usually too small to comfortably eat it without making an absolute mess of myself. It's a different story when I'm at home though, as I couldn't give a rat's behind how much of a mess I make. Although, I do always have pizza using cutlery, as it's just easier to me for some reason :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom