• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 PC |OT| High Definition Megamelons

Well that was a hell of a way to end up in the first playthrough.

Boiled alive, just after I'd finished making preparations. He just couldn't hold on, poor guy.

Arthea

I can't be only one that can't hardly see anything on the map, yeah, kindly don't tell me I'm blind, also

A0881066A2737F3401E81A6A3D2F4FBD0AE040A8

what if I fish all the time and do nothing else? will I become a fisherman?

just kidding

I'm very tempted to grab this, but I am just filled to the brim with games I don't have time to play :(

I feel exactly the same way. I do have the game wishlisted so I'll definitely be reminded if it goes on sale and I have enough for it (and a much smaller backlog).

Edit my potatop can
barely
run it! Anyway I just played the intro and it's more deep than what I thought, I had no idea that this game had dialogues branches and different factions to align. Now some awesome screenshots from my powerful rig

E8902919C4F6B3E22E27CFF9DEF6A1A1FA1581CE

FC6F55FBCEEF6A7D6233CB84A25F64E08E1D5056

Had to start a fresh character so I could unlock achievements.
I'm catching up to my old one pretty quickly though.

Already crafted a couple of swords with some sweet charms. Now just have to get one of them up to snuff, then start collecting styles/weapons/etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Disappointing the game didn't hit GOG at launch. Ghostlight suggested it will, so... I'll hold out for that.

For the record, this whole series is great.

anybody else getting some weird audio warping every now and then with the dialog? Might just be my cat-wire-chewed speakers acting up though. But yeah, so far, this is pretty dang good. Its by far the most technically polished game in the series (miles above the PS3 version of part 3 at least) and it plays just as well as it ever did.

Open-world-non-linear-hack-n-slash needs to be a bigger genre. But until then we've got the pretty darn swell WOTS series.

UltraJay

Everybody is saying that it's great that it supports arbitrary resolutions, but it doesn't seem to support 16:10 aspect ratio so... it doesn't.

When I try to do 4k it just enlarges and doesn't downsample or anything. 1920x1200 isn't even selectable. I may have to change my desktop to 1080 just to get DSR working.

EDIT: Never mind. DSR is based on native resolution full stop. That means DSR is completely broken for me.

Everybody is saying that it's great that it supports arbitrary resolutions, but it doesn't seem to support 16:10 aspect ratio so... it doesn't.

When I try to do 4k it just enlarges and doesn't downsample or anything. 1920x1200 isn't even selectable. I may have to change my desktop to 1080 just to get DSR working.

After it gets enlarged, just accept it. Then restart the game.

Cirruss

Is there a way to open doors during night crawl missions instead of having to knock them all down alerting everyone?

So this game has a capped 30 FPS in place and it has content being held ransom?

The framerate is tied to the game logic - from what I understand, it would be impossible to up it unless serious changes were made to the source code (thus delaying it even further).

The DLC isn't mandatory. I got along just fine in the beta testing period, and there are tons of weapons (including many you can make yourself) scattered throughout the world.

squadr0n

Sounds like how weapons were breaking faster after bumping Dark Souls up to 60 before the patch. Just glad this came to pc. Are the story lines as short as they were in 3?
Or did they move away from that style this time around?

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Has anyone tried to run this on an Intel GMA 4500HD? Wondering if it'll run before I buy it. The PSP ports of the first two games will have to tide me over until I find out!

First attempt I ended up tied to train tracks and died before being able to get through the intro. Yup.

Now I think I am totally shameful samurai for exploring the town doing odd jobs and stuffing my face.

Arthea

First attempt I ended up tied to train tracks and died before being able to get through the intro. Yup.

Now I think I am totally shameful samurai for exploring the town doing odd jobs and stuffing my face.

that's hilarious

lemme guess, you killed everybody in sight and never paid for anything?

ReShade works, wonder if there's a way to force AO

That looks fantastic.

What are the must have simple, graphical tweaking / enhancing programs? I've never tinkered with that stuff before. I suppose I'm not super interested in post-processing, but down-sampling....to make better use of my hardware.

UltraJay

That looks fantastic.

What are the must have simple, graphical tweaking / enhancing programs? I've never tinkered with that stuff before. I suppose I'm not super interested in post-processing, but down-sampling....to make better use of my hardware.

Nvidia (and AMD I think as well) can downsample natively through the main config menu. Just go to Manage 3D Settings and go down to DSR - Factors and choose the levels you want. I usually choose 2x, 3x, and 4x with 4x being 4k.

With stuff like Reshade you can ask for or download a profile and just use it as is with no tweaking. You could ask for the one earlier in this thread since it is already configured.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this series. I played the game when it first released on PS3 but never went back after I finished my first run. I got the same ending MichaelFassbender got, which I assumed was the general "bad" ending, and it kinda killed my buzz. Regretful because there's no other game that satisfies the same itch WoTS does. Guess I have to make up for lost time.

Giran

Make sure you kick the shit out of people you've killed. They almost always drop an extra item that way. I've gotten most of my style books that way, also some rare weapon parts and two scrolls.

PepperedHam

New to this series and I have a question:

So I seem to have missed out on picking up a cool sword because I forgot the pick up button while my sword was drawn and the game gave me barely any buffer between end of boss and beginning of cutscene. Is there any other way aside from getting really good at picking stuff up to avoid this?

Parsnip

First patch is up, 292 MB.

Way of the Samurai 4 V1.01
24 July - Ghostlight Ltd.
Hi everyone.

We've just uploaded a new patch to steam. This one contains the following fixes:

Fixed black screens upon death or loading a save that affected certain character types.
Fixed miscellaneous crashes
Fixed some audio issues

We had mouse support in but we were unable to get it working quite right. Expect a build early next week adding it in.

squadr0n

3 quick and easy questions about the opening and mechanics.

1. Does this WotS use a similar system to the previous games, where there were multiple short stories you played through that could last like 30 mins tops. Or did they go with an open world approach this time? Ive heard conflicting things about this and I cant tell what the actually meat of the game will be like.

2. At 1920x1080 Fullscreen, is the game always in a windowed format or just in the beginning?

3. Last but not least, How do I equip my swords lol!? When I press L1 I go into a hand to hand combat style instead of the sword style. I got it to work once when I randomly hit the left trigger, but now I cant seem to get out of the hand to hand style again.

Other than the issues im having so far, this game is a pleasant surprise and was only 15$

New to this series and I have a question:

So I seem to have missed out on picking up a cool sword because I forgot the pick up button while my sword was drawn and the game gave me barely any buffer between end of boss and beginning of cutscene. Is there any other way aside from getting really good at picking stuff up to avoid this?

I always pick up stuff using the kick move.

RB + X

Works for anything, swords, food, etc.

Also when you try to pick up stuff with just x, you're liable to mash the button (to beat the cutscene), and your samurai will throw the sword instead of keeping it.

3 quick and easy questions about the opening and mechanics.

1. Does this WotS use a similar system to the previous games, where there were multiple short stories you played through that could last like 30 mins tops. Or did they go with an open world approach this time? Ive heard conflicting things about this and I cant tell what the actually meat of the game will be like.

3. Last but not least, How do I equip my swords lol!? When I press L1 I go into a hand to hand combat style instead of the sword style. I got it to work once when I randomly hit the left trigger, but now I cant seem to get out of the hand to hand style again.

1. WoTS4 is mostly the same as the other games. There are multiple events tied to each faction throughout the (in-game) days. Siding with a particular faction increases the chance they'll call on you for a specific event, what follows afterwards will lead to 1-2 endings.

3. If you hold down the left trigger, you get a little menu where you can select swords (the three you have equipped) chance from cut to blunt (non-lethal stamina damage) go bare-handed, etc.

Nvidia (and AMD I think as well) can downsample natively through the main config menu. Just go to Manage 3D Settings and go down to DSR - Factors and choose the levels you want. I usually choose 2x, 3x, and 4x with 4x being 4k.

With stuff like Reshade you can ask for or download a profile and just use it as is with no tweaking. You could ask for the one earlier in this thread since it is already configured.

Wow, a lot simpler than I thought, thanks for the explanation.

Time to get stuck in!

I'm getting a steady 30fps but the audio gets garbled pretty bad every once in a while. Anyone else getting this?

Are you using your sound card? Audio is fine for me when I output audio via HDMI to my monitor, but using headphones results in audio glitches.

I found a Reshade config on steam forums. I haven't had time to test it yet, but the screenshot with it on looks ok.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/312780/discussions/0/541906989397200565/

That one's OK, but I much prefer the look of the one in this thread.

Some quick tips for other new players to the game:

1. Be careful when using R1+X (kick) to pick up items. Kicking any live OR dead person takes away from your Samurai Evaluation at the end of the game which earns you Samurai Points to buy unlocks
  2. On that note, searching dead bodies for more items also lowers your evaluation. You will notice NPCs shaking their head and calling names at you if they see you do this. Constables will even arrest you if the crime rate is super high.
  3. Bumping into people also lowers your Samurai Evaluation. Much less than kicking them.
  4. If you want to get an easy REAL ending the best way to do so is once you start the game, avoid the battle going on and leave to the town. Then head to the main square to the inn and sleep for 3 days. When you leave the Prime Minister will arrive and announce the tournament. Sleep one more day and then head into the "Town" area to see the recruitment poster for all applicants. Head back to the "main square" and compete in the tournament as free applicant and you will earn the "Demonscale" ending. Incredibly easy to do if playing on Easy.
  5. Speaking of difficulties, if this is your first time playing, play on Easy a few times first. Even on Normal the enemies have much more powerful swords and dodge and block quite a bit more. Once you've crafted a few swords and enhanced them start bumping up the difficulty. A good threshold is that 100 attack power = decent damage to named NPCs on Normal
  6. If you are hurting for cash you may want to leave the Hospital closed down (or close it down if it is currently open) on your playthrough. Once you open the hospital all prices for all services and items increase around 25% Which makes simple stuff such as polishing/enhancing your swords more expensive.
  7. Speaking of cash, if you find yourself needing some there are 4 "major" quest givers throughout the game. They are located in the: Harbor, Town, Magistrate, and Little Britain. You can open your map and they are marked by a bright neon-pink billboard sign. All of their very first quests are incredibly easy and earn you about 1500 mon each if I remember correctly. However, be aware that the quest-givers in the "harbor" and "town" give missions that increase crime, while the quest-givers in the "Magistrate" and "Little Britain" cause crime to go down.
  8. Oh hey, speaking of crime. The worse crime is, the higher items/services will cost and less items will be offered. You can decrease crime rate following the advice above as well as: paying for all items and sleeping in the inn. Crime levels go up if you do quests for the two mentioned in the above hint as well as: sleeping in the streets, not paying for items, and killing random people.
  9. You can easily leave/end your current playthrough by returning to the docks and talking to the boatman you arrived on. He will ask if you want to leave. Say "yes" twice and the game will end. You will naturally keep all items, parts, etc that you would have if you had earned a proper ending. This is useful if you want to use certain play-throughs to mess around.

There are a lot more but I will think of them as the day goes on. Feel free to update OP with any relevant information that may be useful.

Top Bottom