• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 PC |OT| High Definition Megamelons

I'm using a DS2 with a USB adapter lol it's worked fine with everything else I've used it.

I'm playing on a laptop:

i7 2.66 ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 755m

Or you want something more specific?

PS: I just finished the validation and it said 92 files failed to validate and will be reacquired, so maybe that was the cause?

Lol, that sounds like it might be the cause. Did you delete some files or something?

I'm guessing the game's designed around using a modern controller. You'd be better off sending an e-mail to Ghostlight about it, or asking them on the Steam forums.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lol, that sounds like it might be the cause. Did you delete some files or something?

I'm guessing the game's designed around using a modern controller. You'd be better off sending an e-mail to Ghostlight about it, or asking them on the Steam forums.

Naw that's the weird part, the only interaction I've had with the game outside of the in game menues is clicking install and clicking play game.

Yeah I might shoot them an email about it or I could use one of those 360 controller emulation tricks to make the game think I've plugged in a 360 controller.

Anyways what about the map thing? Anyway to keep the map from popping up when I spam unsheath?

Mugaaz

Been playing this, completed a couple play throughs. Really enjoying it, quick mini review,

+
Solid amount of content
Good amount of humor
Combat is a little basic, but solid, and the style system keeps it interesting
NPCs are all pretty interesting, some quite bizarre
Style system is neat
A lot of weapon customization possible
There are a lot of storylines and factions, and the overall story gets more interesting th emore you complete.
Some interesting side content with dojos, fishing, night crawling, etc
Some meaningful stuff carries over between games
Game tells you when side quests have finished, and your current progression on longer quests. This may sound minor, but in a game this open ended its a big deal. Being able to understand this goes a long way.
Great value at $15-20

-
Weapon upgrade system is kind of boring. There is nothing unique about any weapon, which is both a plus and a minus..Anything can be made top tier, which makes it possible to use anything. However, this doesn't really increase diversity, because why bother when everything is the same?
Weapon charm system is a huge PITA, and really is not fun if you want to take advantage of it. Seriously, I would recommend ignoring it entirely.
A little too difficult to follow a certain faction storyline without using a guide, Some storylines make a point of guiding you to the next event, but a lot don't.
While I appreciate the whackiness they've added, would like some more content that is more serious in tone as well. To be fair, most of the whacky content is purely optional and requires you to go out of your way to engage in, so it doesnt get in the way.
The overall point system for unlocking rewards per playthrough is a great idea, but horribly executed. The best way to get points involves a 5-10m playthrough and is super boring. "Normal" playthrough where you actually engage in a lot of of the games systems and factions result in getting very very few points, which is stupid. Combined with the fact that most unlockables are super expensive makes this kind of dumb. It's not realistic to unlock these things playing normally.

Iorv3th

Where do I get a sword from?

I got tied to the train tracks and lost my sword in the process i believe? Unless im not looking in the right place.

Mugaaz

P.S. If you remap the buttons and stuff is not working as you expect, verify your button layouts. If they are correct there then restart the game, should work. I think some buttons keep multiple inputs when you try to remap.

Iorv3th

Game keeps crashing, no idea why.

Gonna try verifying my steam cache, but some times it just crashes on loading game other times it crashes after like 20 minutes of play.

I dunno what's up.

Also I'm using a direct input controller and my right analogue stick is flipped. up and down move the camera left and right kind of a pain lol. Also is there any way to make it so if i spam sword draw it doesn't pull out the map, I though that was only supposed to come up if I held down draw first.

I'm using a DS2 with a USB adapter lol it's worked fine with everything else I've used it.

Could be the game is seeing two controllers or something? I know I had a problem with the DS4 on Street Fighter IV until I hit that hide ds4 or whatever on ds4windows. It was really messing up the inputs. Once I did that it worked fine.

Terra_Ex

WOTS3 had this icon above NPCs' heads to indicate if they were pushing or pulling. How do you tell in this game?
I think its back to the usual visual cues in the attack animations in Wots4. WotS3 was the only one in the series that had the little icons to tell you what to do. So if you know the move the enemy is using requires you to push forward to execute it (forward + triangle for example), it's a push (so things like thrusts can be pulled against without much risk) while attacks that involve pulling back (usually animations involving a whirl) be sure not to push against it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Could be the game is seeing two controllers or something? I know I had a problem with the DS4 on Street Fighter IV until I hit that hide ds4 or whatever on ds4windows. It was really messing up the inputs. Once I did that it worked fine.

Well the adapter ha's got two ports for DS2's so it technically does detect "two controllers", but it's detecting two separate ones so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's been fine with USF4 and Ace Combat Ass Horizon as well as Witcher 3.

It isn't detecting double inputs though, otherwise I think they would have shown up in training mode for USF4.

Naw that's the weird part, the only interaction I've had with the game outside of the in game menues is clicking install and clicking play game.

Yeah I might shoot them an email about it or I could use one of those 360 controller emulation tricks to make the game think I've plugged in a 360 controller.

Anyways what about the map thing? Anyway to keep the map from popping up when I spam unsheath?

The map is activated with select/back by default. Not sure why it's popping up when you sheath your sword.

A little too difficult to follow a certain faction storyline without using a guide, Some storylines make a point of guiding you to the next event, but a lot don't.

It's only the secret path that really requires a guide. The normal faction storylines are pretty easy to follow. Just talk to the NPC after an event and they'll usually indicate where you're meant to go next. Or just look at the events section of the journal.

Corpekata

Banned
Well the adapter ha's got two ports for DS2's so it technically does detect "two controllers", but it's detecting two separate ones so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's been fine with USF4 and Ace Combat Ass Horizon as well as Witcher 3.

It isn't detecting double inputs though, otherwise I think they would have shown up in training mode for USF4.

It depends on the game. Usually this sort of error occurs only in select games, because it thinks you have like an Xinput and Dinput controller both being plugged in and used. Most games don't have Dinput support so it doesn't happen in them, but does with those that do.

UltraJay

I think its back to the usual visual cues in the attack animations in Wots4. WotS3 was the only one in the series that had the little icons to tell you what to do. So if you know the move the enemy is using requires you to push forward to execute it (forward + triangle for example), it's a push (so things like thrusts can be pulled against without much risk) while attacks that involve pulling back (usually animations involving a whirl) be sure not to push against it.

I think I need more information on this push/pull system. I did not understand the whole idea of push/pull guarding at all when the game told me. I understand how to pull off the moves (thrusts and spins and such) but apparently I'm supposed to read opponents and use certain moves against them? Match push with push then?

I'm confused even though I've managed to not die in fights on Normal even though everyone says to play it first on easy.

Corpekata

Banned
I think I need more information on this push/pull system. I did not understand the whole idea of push/pull guarding at all when the game told me. I understand how to pull off the moves (thrusts and spins and such) but apparently I'm supposed to read opponents and use certain moves against them? Match push with push then?

I'm confused even though I've managed to not die in fights on Normal even though everyone says to play it first on easy.

You don't want to match, you want to do the opposite.

If they are pulling, you want to do a push move.
If they are pushing, you want to do a pull move.

Giran

Anyone else having issues with transparency at times?

312780_2015-07-26_00039xit.jpg
- the hair
312780_2015-07-26_0002kzcq.jpg
- the smoke transparency making large rectangles where the scene's blue lighting is just not there
312780_2015-07-26_0003mzk6.jpg
- the floating thing to the left of the lady's head
312780_2015-07-26_000tnzes.jpg
- the same things in the sky

Rembrandt

Banned
Would this be a good start for someone new to the series? Or should I play one of the older games?

iirc, you can just jump in. I think each game is self-contained.

I completely forgot this got a PC launch; I kept trying to play it on PS3 but couldn't find a copy, so i'll have to try this out. Ever since that TBFP vid

Terra_Ex

Figured since only WotS1 did a reasonable job explaining this, some short videos might help people recognise what to look for and identify what's what and if they're "doing it right". I won't cover every permutation but this should highlight what to look for. Hopefully the videos embed properly.

To break it down:
Regular attacks - pressing X/Y on their own, can be in a combo.
Push attacks- any attack that is executed while holding the analogue stick forwards (towards your enemy.) (the attack must exist in the style's move list)
Pull attacks-any attack that is executed while holding the analogue stick backward (away your opponent.) (the attack must exist in the style's move list)
Regular guard - guarding with the guard button held on its own
Push guard- guarding while holding the analogue stick in the direction of your opponent
Pull guard- guarding while holding the analogue stick away your opponent

Some examples:
Enemy's push attack vs my pull guard
This shows the enemy launching a push attack (executing the attack involves pushing the analogue stick towards your opponent). When the enemy uses a push you should pull guard to knock them off balance.
Pull Guard>Push Attack
http://gfycat.com/NaughtyFeistyArrowana

Enemy's push guard against my regular attack

This is an enemy executing a push guard against my regular attack. I'm not pushing or pulling during this attack, thus, his push guard bests my attack, knocking me off balance. This occurs when you use attacks without a push/pull modifier and your opponent pushes against you.
Push Guard>Regular attack
http://gfycat.com/PortlyConsiderateCarp

Enemy's pull guard against my regular attack
However, it's not wise to just use pull/push all the time. For example, if you execute a pull guard and your opponent is not pushing, you leave yourself open. Here I execute a regular attack combo (no direction is being held) and the enemy uses pull guard, leaving himself open immediately after my second strike.
Regular attack>pull guard
http://gfycat.com/RemarkableEnormousKronosaurus

Each style also has a defense break, executed with back, forward + Y. This takes a moment to charge up for but will break through the enemy's guard, ignoring push/pull. High damage, but you're vulnerable.
http://gfycat.com/FakeUnequaledCaudata

There are other outcomes too, if you attack with a Pull move and the enemy is pulling away (Pull Guard vs Pull Attack), you both pull back and end up looking like a pair of idiots and nobody gains an advantage. Same thing with Push, they cancel each other out.

Finally, to sum up, look at the move list, I'll use the starting style as an example:
1-kiri,2-kiri,3-kiri are executed with X, therefore they have no push/pull capacity. Think of them as regular attacks. Any moves which are listed without a direction are neither push nor pull.
Gato is executed with forwards + X, so it is considered a push move. It's follow up Sen Gato is the same.
Tenshin Senda is executed with backward + X and thus is considered a pull move. From there you could perform the same move again (2 pull attacks in a row) or branch to Tenshin Shozan, which is a Push move (forward + Y to execute). Attacks strings which mix things up can be useful against some of the tougher foes.

Push/Pull becomes very important on the harder difficulty modes (which is where the nicer weapons reside) as named NPCs and random spawns like Duelists will use it to knock you off balance and deliver a very punishing blow to your character if you don't understand the systems.

Hmm, so it's mostly guesswork in that area then.

BTW, was that spin-off game any good? Ukiyo No Shisi I think it was. Had an alternate version on the Vita too.

Khronico

Ugggghhh

Got the boiled samurai ending.

After I reloaded I managed to get all the way up to the
big battle with the demonscales
and
laura
ends up dying. I don't even know how it's possible to keep that person alive during the fight.

I decide to just leave the on the boat but I got a bad rating so I didn't even get samurai points for my effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Oh gosh I did it that was ridiculous. Babysitting ai is not fun.

Ugggghhh

Got the boiled samurai ending.

After I reloaded I managed to get all the way up to the
big battle with the demonscales
and
laura
ends up dying. I don't even know how it's possible to keep that person alive during the fight.

I decide to just leave the on the boat but I got a bad rating so I didn't even get samurai points for my effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Oh gosh I did it that was ridiculous. Babysitting ai is not fun.

Heh
You can actually clear that section pretty easily with spring harvest (hold RB then press LB). Everyone crowds together so you get plenty of meter.

Cleared hard. Scored some good stuff. Gonna grind out some cash for my spear + claws.

UltraJay

What do ability and skill points in the move list do? I see these numbers on attacks and the style name (I have 1600 skill points in Mushin) and don't know how to use them. Are they just progress in the style? Then what do the ability points on specific moves do?

Giran

Got Samurai Lord on my very first hard playthrough as Sensei. With 0 unsuitable conduct too. I was surprised. It seems breaking crates does not matter at all as long as you're in combat. Also, I'm rather disappointed the scarf is part of the Kogure outfit and not just an optional accessory.

What do ability and skill points in the move list do? I see these numbers on attacks and the style name (I have 1600 skill points in Mushin) and don't know how to use them. Are they just progress in the style? Then what do the ability points on specific moves do?

They're required for making your own style. Each move has a point cost that you can see in the move list so the more points you gather, the more and better moves you can put in your unique style.

UltraJay

They're required for making your own style. Each move has a point cost that you can see in the move list so the more points you gather, the more and better moves you can put in your unique style.

I didn't realize you could do that. Cool!

Ugh, really hope they fix the broken auto targeting. The Amihama Eight mission becomes a lot more fucking annoying when you're doing spring harvest, and your guy randomly starts slashing around in a circle because the game has issues locking onto the nearest enemy, then gets slashed out of nowhere and dies. This wasn't an issue on PS3. I could always lock onto someone instantly, but now you have to spend precious seconds running around like a dipshit while your harvest meter drops.

Giran

Can you get different outfits by any chance? I'm a little tired of my kimono.

There are shops that sell clothing and accessories. Biggest one is in the main plaza. If you mean handmade full outfits like the one you start with then sadly the only other ones you can get are exact copies of major NPCs.

Can you get different outfits by any chance? I'm a little tired of my kimono.
There's a shop in the Main Plaza. :)

--------------

I'm really enjoying the game but the constant crashes every 20 or so minutes is impeding my progress. I save often when I start hearing the audio cackle since that's usually the sign of when it's about to crash.....really hope they fix that. Also this game makes me wish more games had branching paths and choices like how this one does, it's really fun to see how many different outcomes you can get and makes you wanna keep playing.

Iorv3th

I "beat" it yesterday, was a weird and unsatisfying ending. I will go back and try to get the outcome I wanted.

I joined the rebel group and then got told to meet the leader at the shrine the next day, went and the shrine was locked up and only option was to do the tournament, did it and won and it was over. I didn't want to be a demonscale I thought I would be able to like get close to the chancelor and kill him....next time, next time

Terra_Ex

It should also be noted that the stuff the vendors have in stock is tied to your crime rate. If its terrible, they're going to have very little in stock and it'll be very expensive, so if you're aiming to stock up on clothing and accessories get your crime rate to the best state first.

There are shops that sell clothing and accessories. Biggest one is in the main plaza. If you mean handmade full outfits like the one you start with then sadly the only other ones you can get are exact copies of major NPCs.
Yeah, I was hoping that they'd at least have some recolourings/variations of the fancy starting kimono, most of the other stuff doesn't really match up with it imo. Maybe now its on PC someone can mod stuff in.

I "beat" it yesterday, was a weird and unsatisfying ending. I will go back and try to get the outcome I wanted.

I joined the rebel group and then got told to meet the leader at the shrine the next day, went and the shrine was locked up and only option was to do the tournament, did it and won and it was over. I didn't want to be a demonscale I thought I would be able to like get close to the chancelor and kill him....next time, next time

Did you go to the shrine right after the harbor skirmish? And did you walk right up to the gate? Also, the only way to kill that guy is to get the best ending, which is kinda obscure unless you look it up.

It should also be noted that the stuff the vendors have in stock is tied to your crime rate. If its terrible, they're going to have very little in stock and it'll be very expensive, so if you're aiming to stock up on clothing and accessories get your crime rate to the best state first.

Yeah, I was hoping that they'd at least have some recolourings/variations of the fancy starting kimono, most of the other stuff doesn't really match up with it imo. Maybe now its on PC someone can mod stuff in.

Probably unlikely, but yeah, I'd love to see more unique outfits to wear. The lime green monstrosity being the only outfit actually tailored to you is kinda disappointing. Other than that, it's just generic NPC stuff and story NPC outfits.

Zunja

I'm a little upset I can't just kill people like in the other ones. I mean I find some of the named NPC's and attack them and they go down to no health and no vitality but don't die and just keep attacking me. I liked that I could ruin my game in the other ones so that was a let down.

The rest of the game has been a lot of fun though. I'm really enjoying all the different fighting styles especially the fencing one with Josephine.

I'm a little upset I can't just kill people like in the other ones. I mean I find some of the named NPC's and attack them and they go down to no health and no vitality but don't die and just keep attacking me. I liked that I could ruin my game in the other ones so that was a let down.

The rest of the game has been a lot of fun though. I'm really enjoying all the different fighting styles especially the fencing one with Josephine.

Yeah, I tried killing named NPCs early but ran into the same issue you describe. Oh well. Game is still awesome.

massoluk

Banned
I saw "Reverse" blade option, so I tried to go full Rurouni Kenshin. But apparently it's not really an option to spare the opponents' lives in the story missions huh :\

Terra_Ex

I saw "Reverse" blade option, so I tried to go full Rurouni Kenshin. But apparently it's not really an option to spare the opponents' lives in the story missions huh :\
Sometimes you can, such as during the tournament, get their stamina down and you can call the match by talking to them mid-fight. There may be other instances where you can do it across the game, but I forget.

sueil

So I did the Assassin DLC and got one of the super over powered swords from it. I got two but that doesn't really matter. Anyway so I took one of them and started breaking it down to try to get 3x big shot. In the end I settled for a 2x Big Shot. Since the max strength a sword can be is 500 no matter and the dlc sword starts at 250 what I figured I would go for unbreakable title rather than oddity. So time to refine and recast my sword to get it 500. It hit 420 on the nose and I think I might leave it there.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I know this is the PC thread, but I bought this for the PS3 years ago and never really got around to giving it much time---

Tempted to get back into it now that there's a good, new thread for it helping explain some of the more obscure and obtuse elements of the game that baffled me.

Top Bottom