• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 PC |OT| High Definition Megamelons

Could you upload your preset, please?

Sure

https://mega.co.nz/#!YxVhlJIT!92oUKB9b9aFDUgvaUWr-n4RzEiKzDCYlOAANvbnPgj8

wayofthesamurai42015-2xrkd.jpg
wayofthesamurai42015-f5qcx.jpg

Clevinger

a few things that I wish I knew when I started:

You can repair your swords for 100 at the blacksmith with "polish"

You need your sword out to use whetstones to repair swords on the fly

You can go to the dojo and become the head of it. Then you can switch your sword style to reverse and fight random dudes; when you beat them, talk to them when they're kneeling and tell them they're your pupil now. If they refuse and kick you, kick them back and they'll kneel again and you can try telling em again and it may work this time.

I have no idea if managing the dojo is worth the effort. Seems like a pain in the ass so far. You get like three or four pupils and then someone challenges your dojo and every area you go into on the way to the dojo one of your pupils dies.

cyress8

Banned
Had fun with the game last night. Tried my first chance at love making but failed because I was talking to the creepy guy who tells you how to do it. That torture game had me go wtf since I did not see it coming.

Also, I'm a boss samurai going pure hand to hand, well until I smacked the guy at the cementary. Love howthis game handles gameovers though.

Thanks!

a few things that I wish I knew when I started:

You can repair your swords for 100 at the blacksmith with "polish"

You need your sword out to use whetstones to repair swords on the fly

You can go to the dojo and become the head of it. Then you can switch your sword style to reverse and fight random dudes; when you beat them, talk to them when they're kneeling and tell them they're your pupil now. If they refuse and kick you, kick them back and they'll kneel again and you can try telling em again and it may work this time.

I have no idea if managing the dojo is worth the effort. Seems like a pain in the ass so far. You get like three or four pupils and then someone challenges your dojo and every area you go into on the way to the dojo one of your pupils dies.

You get a unique fighting style from the old man which you level up by fighting challengers while using it. It's pretty good. Also the challengers drop style books, and the rarest books can only be gotten by beating challengers when the dojo is at five stars (e.g. one style allows you to nightcrawl male NPCs). Also if the challengers annoy you, go to the Back Roads, and meet the female swordswoman there. Tell her to get a job at the clothing store. Then rinse and repeat until you offer to hire her at the dojo. After that, she'll automatically destroy all challengers for you (though that means you can't get the styles then). If you want to get rid of her, just kill her, and you can get her back when you do another playthrough.

Giran

I have no idea if managing the dojo is worth the effort.

Here's all I picked up regarding the dojo. You can only level the style the old man gives you in the dojo, by fighting challengers. There are also certain styles you can only get from challengers. And finally you need it at rank 5 to be able to have the night crawl event with Sensei, which is required to unlock her attire; you can only get this if you start a game where Sensei is NOT in the dojo though (so kill her in your previous playthrough).

From what I read, everyone you recruit to the dojo have a random strength assigned to them from 1-4, which matters for ranking, but certain characters have that level fixed. Interestingly, only women have their strengths fixed at level 4 and none of them are weapon wielders originally. Ideally you want to recruit
Nurse
Harlot
Geisha
Maid
Wife
Daughter
for best results.

Here's all I picked up regarding the dojo. You can only level the style the old man gives you in the dojo, by fighting challengers. There are also certain styles you can only get from challengers. And finally you need it at rank 5 to be able to have the night crawl event with Sensei, which is required to unlock her attire; you can only get this if you start a game where Sensei is NOT in the dojo though (so kill her in your previous playthrough).

From what I read, everyone you recruit to the dojo have a random strength assigned to them from 1-4, which matters for ranking, but certain characters have that level fixed. Interestingly, only women have their strengths fixed at level 4 and none of them are weapon wielders originally. Ideally you want to recruit
Nurse
Harlot
Geisha
Maid
Wife
Daughter
for best results.

Don't forget the Blondie Knights (the female knights in the British consulate).

Eila

I was having fun today, but then I did a mission and got "rewarded" by one of the three sisters, I barely made it out alive of the torture and then she killed me with the slaps afterwards! Did not see that coming.
It's a bit disappointing that the missions are all repeatable. Like, you can do the bring lunch to the guy in the harbor over and over again in the same day.

I was having fun today, but then I did a mission and got "rewarded" by one of the three sisters, I barely made it out alive of the torture and then she killed me with the slaps afterwards! Did not see that coming.
It's a bit disappointing that the missions are all repeatable. Like, you can do the bring lunch to the guy in the harbor over and over again in the same day.

You mean the missions obtained by talking to NPCs? Yeah, they're pretty much basic fetch quests, though the dialogue can be pretty funny.

Eila

You mean the missions obtained by talking to NPCs? Yeah, they're pretty much basic fetch quests, though the dialogue can be pretty funny.

Not just random NPCs. The kill all the yakuzas one is repeatable as well, and you're still their friend after killing 75 of them in their face! It's one of those things in the game that are a bit rough.
I guess the only way to alter the story is by killing named characters. I killed the blacksmith apprentince and when he said to go convince him to take over the shop the game told me he was already dead.

Not just random NPCs. The kill all the yakuzas one is repeatable as well, and you're still their friend after killing 75 of them in their face! It's one of those things in the game that are a bit rough.
I guess the only way to alter the story is by killing named characters. I killed the blacksmith apprentince and when he said to go convince him to take over the shop the game told me he was already dead.

The kill however many NPCs missions are there for you to influence the crime rate and grind out styles/kills. It makes no logical sense, but it's not too much of an issue for me.

And I'm not sure what the problem is with that last one is lol. You killed the apprentice, now there's no one to take over after the old guy retires.

One of the main issues I have with this game is that most of the story NPCs have plot armour, where they just run away when their health gets low enough unless it's during a particular story event. 3 let you kill absolutely everyone, and killing one particular NPC gave you a unique ending.

Forkball

Has anyone seen other player characters walking around? I've seen my doppelgänger but not other people. You do get an achievement for offing your double, so I recommend killing yourself.

Has anyone seen other player characters walking around? I've seen my doppelgänger but not other people. You do get an achievement for offing your double, so I recommend killing yourself.

The invader system was removed unfortunately. You'll only see your own past characters.

That sucks, I wanted to see what other players look like.

Also what does Dojima do differently from Smithy? They seem the exact same.

Apparently he has a slight edge when it comes to upgrade stats. Otherwise, the main benefit is that he won't constantly harass you about finding his apprentice, and he won't disappear unless you kill him.

Also (side mission spoilers)
he turns up to help you in the final side quest that you unlock after completing the missions for each of the 4 major job brokers.

Dinjoralo

Well, I can't get Nvidia inspector to do, like, anything. Even injecting AA through the regular control panel doesn't work. Bummer.

colinp

Banned
I was just about to buy this and it looks like they just blocked purchase in Japan. Damn it! Release day it showed up just fine.

Are we doing spoiler tags? Ahh fuck, just to be sure... (Ending Spoiler)
Boiled Samurai.... are you fucking kidding me? What a stupid ending. It didn't even let me walk away! Turns me off the whole fucking game.

Boiled Samurai.... are you fucking kidding me? What a stupid ending. It didn't even let me walk away! Turns me off the whole fucking game.

lol what?
Every time I got the BS ending it's because I wanted to. You start a good distance away from the podium.

Terra_Ex

In the WotS series, not all choices are clearly signposted.
You had the choice to walk off stage after another winner had a bad feeling, you chose to go up the stairs. It's just one ending of many.

From what I've read the game has 10 endings so some of them must be
pure nonsense

Anyone running into an issue where their monitor goes to sleep playing this game?

I'm playing with a wireless controller. I can always adjust the monitor sleep time to avoid this, but it is a strange the monitor isn't seeing any activity. I haven't noticed this with any other game I play with a controller.

Cirdan

Neo Member
So regarding the Dojo and Sensei,
in a new playthrough if Sensei is there I need to kill her to able to get "my" dojo back to even use the place at all?
Also if so regarding Dojima,
does he have an unique fighting style? Might as well kill both and start a new cycle after that if so.

Liking the game so far. Seems even the tutorial has some different stuff to it if you manage to do well. Only thing I'm pretty sketchy about is the health regeneration on named enemies. It's like the whole fight will reset if I don't stay hyper aggressive. Also tripping on corpses is absolutely terrible. At least the enemies sort of almost seem to fall down too, but eh this just makes piling up corpses a pain.

So regarding the Dojo and Sensei,
in a new playthrough if Sensei is there I need to kill her to able to get "my" dojo back to even use the place at all?
Also if so regarding Dojima,
does he have an unique fighting style? Might as well kill both and start a new cycle after that if so.

Liking the game so far. Seems even the tutorial has some different stuff to it if you manage to do well. Only thing I'm pretty sketchy about is the health regeneration on named enemies. It's like the whole fight will reset if I don't stay hyper aggressive. Also tripping on corpses is absolutely terrible. At least the enemies sort of almost seem to fall down too, but eh this just makes piling up corpses a pain.

All enemies regenerate health. You can use blunt attacks to help out a bit, as it'll drain their stamina and make them regenerate more slowly. But then you need to be wary of them eating food and getting their stamina back. Hit them while they're doing so and they'll drop their food.

And both of those characters have unique styles. In fact, you need to use their weapons to access secret moves associated with those styles. Dojima also gets a different weapon when he becomes the blacksmith. On a similar note regarding weapons, most story NPCs have a chance to wield different swords on hard/harakiri. Akagi, for instance, switches to a sword with a white grip.

Regarding the dojo,
you can use blunt attacks to drain Sensei's stamina and get the dojo back without killing her.

Forkball

Actually if you
exit the arena and go out the gate closer to the town entrance, Kotobuki will ask you where you are going. You can then asked to be excused and survive to play beyond that.

Durante

I actually played this for a bit now rather than just testing it, and it's fun, but I'm still having a tough time coming to grips with the battle system. I play on normal and get my ass handed to me quite often. Any tips?

Also, some more downsampled screenshots:

I actually played this for a bit now rather than just testing it, and it's fun, but I'm still having a tough time coming to grips with the battle system. I play on normal and get my ass handed to me quite often. Any tips?

Hmm.

I find that upgrading weapons at the blacksmith is important as is having a style that let's me play like a lamer with a nice spammable light attack chain. For enemies that regen fast it's good to wear down their vitality with reverse attacks first and likewise if your health is low try to back out and regen and have vit restore items.

It's a good idea to play on easy for your first playthrough, and upgrade your sword and style before playing on normal. Also try and stay stocked with food items to restore vitality.

Giran

Getting good styles was the key for me between simply surviving fights and really just crushing everyone. The ones you get from the main characters are all good. Akagi's and Kogure's in particular are great. But if you have a decent weapon (200-ish strength or more) you can easily get Sensei's, Melinda's, Dojima's and the Gambling Den bookmaker's by starting a new game, quickly killing them all on the first day and then boating out.

Also, styles with the Toughen ability are pretty much necessary for playthroughs normal and up. Otherwise a careless moment can get you one hit killed from full health. Having at least one sword with the Life & Death charm is also essential so you can regen all vitality at least between fights.

Cheers for that, using those myself now.

Not put much into it so far but definitely enjoyed what I've played so far. Nice to see open world games with a focus on attention to detail rather than sheer scale.

I wish we'd get more sandbox games with smaller game worlds, so they can cram more detail into it.

Terra_Ex

Thinking back to WotS1, the thing that stopped me getting flattened outright by enemies (and has served me well through the series) was the point when I fully grasped the push/pull combat mechanics and how they're used to weight your attacks and defense. All the games skim past it quite quickly but its fundamental to out-maneuvering your opponent in combat, it's similar to Soul Calibur's guard impact mechanics really, only that you can modify your attacks as well as guards. Playing on easy for your first run through is also highly recommended, your enemies will drop useless weaponry, but you can sell them and put the money towards sword upgrades - it won't be long before you're ready to move onto normal, your starting sword style has a nice, balanced moveset and I wouldn't move past it until you're comfortable with the mechanics.

Also, styles with the Toughen ability are pretty much necessary for playthroughs normal and up. Otherwise a careless moment can get you one hit killed from full health. Having at least one sword with the Life & Death charm is also essential so you can regen all vitality at least between fights.

Oh yeah. Dojima's tenshin style (easily attainable) teaches expert toughen. A 75% drop in damage is no joke.

If you have a couple grand to blow. Craft a sword with three Life & Death charms.

Charms are found off of weapon parts. They're pretty random. Every time you disassemble a weapon you have a chance at the parts having charms. So you could grab a bunch of weapons you like, disassemble them, then reload the save if you don't like the results.

Alternatively.

You could go to the blacksmith and buy the parts. every time you back out of and re-enter the "buy" menu he gets parts with a different array of charms. Thing is though his parts are pretty cruddy (basal blades...woof). Consider trying to get the charms you want off a unique blade(such as from an NPC) then buy the rest from the blacksmith.

The best way to get 3 of any charm is to get a "K" pattern.

Get a blade with: | life & death | | --- | | life & death |
a guard with either : | l&f | | l&f | | --- | OR | --- | | l&f | | l&f |
Finally a grip with | life & death | | --- | | life & death |

(yes a backwards "K" can work as well)

With 3x life & death your stamina replenishes in about 7 seconds.

Another good charm is "Midas". 3x Midas can dramatically raise the amount of cash you get from dropped money bags (100-300 for smalls, 700-1500 for mediums, ????-????? for larges)

Grief.exe

Any hope of a 60fps update down the road?

They've already said they can't do it because the framerate is tied to the game's logic/framework. From what I understand, they'd have to reprogram the whole thing over again to get it to 60.

When Qloc ported over RE4 to PC, they managed to create a 60 FPS mode. You could run the game at 60 FPS, but it would have to be absolutely locked, any dips would cause massive slowdown on top of the other issues that are standard to dips below native refresh rate.

Qloc halved all of the frame time calculations, so an animation that would take one frame, now takes two for example. Creative way to get around the problem. I doubt it's viable here, just an interesting tidbit.

Thinking back to WotS1, the thing that stopped me getting flattened outright by enemies (and has served me well through the series) was the point when I fully grasped the push/pull combat mechanics and how they're used to weight your attacks and defense. All the games skim past it quite quickly but its fundamental to out-maneuvering your opponent in combat, it's similar to Soul Calibur's guard impact mechanics really, only that you can modify your attacks as well as guards. Playing on easy for your first run through is also highly recommended, your enemies will drop useless weaponry, but you can sell them and put the money towards sword upgrades - it won't be long before you're ready to move onto normal, your starting sword style has a nice, balanced moveset and I wouldn't move past it until you're comfortable with the mechanics.

WOTS3 had this icon above NPCs' heads to indicate if they were pushing or pulling. How do you tell in this game?

Dinjoralo

I managed to get Nvidia Inspector AO to work, kinda! It's only showing when the camera is at certain angles, but it's something.

Actually if you
exit the arena and go out the gate closer to the town entrance, Kotobuki will ask you where you are going. You can then asked to be excused and survive to play beyond that.

What the hell, that's exactly what I was trying to do, and it just shoved me in anyway.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Game keeps crashing, no idea why.

Gonna try verifying my steam cache, but some times it just crashes on loading game other times it crashes after like 20 minutes of play.

I dunno what's up.

Also I'm using a direct input controller and my right analogue stick is flipped. up and down move the camera left and right kind of a pain lol. Also is there any way to make it so if i spam sword draw it doesn't pull out the map, I though that was only supposed to come up if I held down draw first.

Game keeps crashing, no idea why.

Gonna try verifying my steam cache, but some times it just crashes on loading game other times it crashes after like 20 minutes of play.

I dunno what's up.

Also I'm using a direct input controller and my right analogue stick is flipped. up and down move the camera left and right kind of a pain lol. Also is there any way to make it so if i spam sword draw it doesn't pull out the map, I though that was only supposed to come up if I held down draw first.

What controller are you using? I'm using a Dualshock 3 myself and I'm not encountering any of those issues.

Regarding crashes, post your specs.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What controller are you using? I'm using a Dualshock 3 myself and I'm not encountering any of those issues.

Regarding crashes, post your specs.

I'm using a DS2 with a USB adapter lol it's worked fine with everything else I've used it.

I'm playing on a laptop:

i7 2.66 ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 755m

Or you want something more specific?

PS: I just finished the validation and it said 92 files failed to validate and will be reacquired, so maybe that was the cause?

Top Bottom