• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 PC |OT| High Definition Megamelons

Grief.exe

Pretty good. Has issues (30fps being the major one), but it's stable, performs well, has almost instant load times, supports arbitrary resolutions (I'm downsampling from 4K personally), and controller support is great.

Really hope this performs well so we have a better chance of seeing the third game on PC too.

Sounds really good all things considered.

This game just gives me the impression that it must be experienced to be appreciated. Yes it is a bit janky, but the depth of interactions and combat should appeal to any huge fan of the hobby.

On steam we've released the Agarest trilogy and Elminage Gothic. Not to mention Flame Over and OMG Zombies! from Laughing Jackal.

On console we released a lot of stuff in Europe including the Agarest games on PS3, Trails in the Sky, Fate/EXTRA, Persona 2: Innocent Sin & Persona 3 Portable all on PSP.

There was also a lot of PS2 stuff.

Talk to Atlus about porting more games over here!

Game has issues with control remapping. If you try and remap the bumper functions to the triggers, they function, but the combat movelist has the bumpers set as required for all moves, so you'd still need to use them. You'll never be able to say, hold RT to block and then hit Y to do your guard break.

Peff

This really is well optimized. Not that it's much of a looker but it's nice to see that it runs well even on old dual-cores. Combat system seems a bit stiff, but I imagine it'll get better after some upgrades. Seems somewhat Yakuza-esque so far.

This really is well optimized. Not that it's much of a looker but it's nice to see that it runs well even on old dual-cores. Combat system seems a bit stiff, but I imagine it'll get better after some upgrades. Seems somewhat Yakuza-esque so far.

Make sure you choose easy for your first playthrough. Normal and above becomes a lot more enjoyable when you're more familiar with the combat system and have an upgraded sword/style.

Make sure you choose easy for your first playthrough. Normal and above becomes a lot more enjoyable when you're more familiar with the combat system and have an upgraded sword/style.

Also
Some advice for those starting out.
There's a guy in the graveyard just chilling. He looks pretty unique so you can't miss him. If you defeat him he drops his sword/style. The sword is eh (you can always craft stronger) but the style is VERY nice. One of the abilities it teaches you lessens damage by a large amount. It takes awhile to learn but it'll save your life on normal/hard.

Hmm..
It looks like I might have to start a new game (new as in fresh character and all). A lot of achievements aren't dropping for me.

I'll give one spoiler-ish piece of advice as well.

Don't neglect unarmed styles as well, you're going to need one. Better now then later when you need it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Bought this last night, hoping to install it tonight and play a ton over the weekend.

I've only played the first two in the franchise but this looks like it cranked up the goofy to maximum so I'm looking forward to this.

I'll give one spoiler-ish piece of advice as well.

Don't neglect unarmed styles as well, you're going to need one. Better now then later when you need it.

True.

More spoilers.
Although I wonder with the obtuse requirements for the true ending that players won't just spoil "that" event while looking up guides on what to do.

Crime rate is also fairly important, and it's not well explained by the game.

Stuff like sleeping outdoors, not paying for shop items, killing lawmen and Yakuza side missions increase the crime rate, making items more expensive and decreasing the amount of items available in shops. Sleeping at the inn, performing Magistrate side missions and buying items lowers the crime rate. You can find out what the crime rate is by talking to the Yakuza job broker in the town area, or the Magistrate guy.

Oh man. There is so much to this game that gets vague or non-existent explanations.
I think that's part of the reason why I like the series so much.

Stuff like sleeping outdoors, not paying for shop items, killing lawmen and Yakuza side missions increase the crime rate, making items more expensive and decreasing the amount of items available in shops. Sleeping at the inn, performing Magistrate side missions and buying items lowers the crime rate. You can see the current crime rate by talking to the Yakuza job broker in the town area, or the Magistrate guy.

Also, vitality is the purple bar, and it affects the rate at which your health (green) regenerates. Vitality goes down when you fast travel and during combat. You can eat food or sleep to replenish it. Certain styles also let you learn an ability to decrease the rate at which it drops. Enemies also have their own vitality, meaning that they can regenerate health if you let them go too long without attacking or being attacked. You can decrease their vitality by using blunt attacks on them (pointing this out because I remember seeing a bunch of people confused by the bars when the PS3 version was released).

Eila

What's the best tool to add AA into the game (using AMD graphics)? I think cutscenes might just look worse than gameplay due to the aliasing, even at 1080p.
It's also regretable that logic is tied to framerate, as I get some slowdowns during heavy scenes like when there's smoke.

What's the best tool to add AA into the game (using AMD graphics)? I think cutscenes might just look worse than gameplay due to the aliasing, even at 1080p.
It's also regretable that logic is tied to framerate, as I get some slowdowns during heavy scenes like when there's smoke.

you can always downsample for smoother edges. I really doubt this game is pushing anyone's hardware so I would look into AMD's downsampling solution(s)

Khronico

Got this last night and am ~20 minutes from the download finishing. Really, really enjoyed WOTS3 so I'm glad to finally play this one.

Nillansan

Pretty good. Has issues (30fps being the major one), but it's stable, performs well, has almost instant load times, supports arbitrary resolutions (I'm downsampling from 4K personally), and controller support is great.

What are your specifications? I am hoping to downsample from 4K with locked 30 FPS on a rig with a i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, a GTX 680 and 16 GB RAM.

Really hope this performs well so we have a better chance of seeing the third game on PC too.

So do I, I have done my part (bought 3 copies on Steam).

Gbraga

Stuff like sleeping outdoors, not paying for shop items, killing lawmen and Yakuza side missions increase the crime rate, making items more expensive and decreasing the amount of items available in shops. Sleeping at the inn, performing Magistrate side missions and buying items lowers the crime rate. You can see the current crime rate by talking to the Yakuza job broker in the town area, or the Magistrate guy.

Also, vitality is the purple bar, and it affects the rate at which your health (green) regenerates. Vitality goes down when you fast travel and during combat. You can eat food or sleep to replenish it. Certain styles also let you learn an ability to decrease the rate at which it drops. Enemies also have their own vitality, meaning that they can regenerate health if you let them go too long without attacking or being attacked. You can decrease their vitality by using blunt attacks on them (pointing this out because I remember seeing a bunch of people confused by the bars when the PS3 version was released).

Damn this game is complex, I'm loving it.

What are your specifications? I am hoping to downsample from 4K with locked 30 FPS on a rig with a i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, a GTX 680 and 16 GB RAM.

So do I, I have done my part (bought 3 copies on Steam).

GTX 770 2GB, i7 4770K, 16GB RAM. MSI Afterburner shows about 30% GPU usage, less than a gig of VRAM usage, and it generally maintains 30, though it noticeably drops during certain cutscenes (the smoke produced by the cannon fire in the opening harbor battle is an early offender).

Nillansan

GTX 770 2GB, i7 4770K, 16GB RAM. MSI Afterburner shows about 30% GPU usage, less than a gig of VRAM usage, and it generally maintains 30, though it noticeably drops during certain cutscenes (the smoke produced by the cannon fire in the opening harbor battle is an early offender).

Thank you!

Corpekata

Banned
Okay, yeah, sound is weird. I thought the intro was just minimalistic or something but nope, looked up the console version and there was clearly loads more music too, so something is weird audio wise for me. On a 5.1 setup.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Will buy when someone/modders unlock the 30fps (hope that the framerate is not tied to the game speed)

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Okay, yeah, sound is weird. I thought the intro was just minimalistic or something but nope, looked up the console version and there was clearly loads more music too, so something is weird audio wise for me. On a 5.1 setup.

Some sound issues can be solved by changing default sound formate down http://i.imgur.com/JCO4tgV.png

Will buy when someone/modders unlock the 30fps (hope that the framerate is not tied to the game speed)

Unfortunately it is tied to the game logic. When we tried upping the frame rate the game didn't work at all well.

Just bought this game, and I seem to be having some cases of crackling music.

Also, can you not play as a female in this game at all? Guess I'll have to go with a really effeminate dude, lol.

Just bought this game, and I seem to be having some cases of crackling music.

Also, can you not play as a female in this game at all? Guess I'll have to go with a really effeminate dude, lol.

You can unlock female characters after finishing a playthrough. You can even play as Ms Megamelons herself.

Eila

Heh, I thought it was my laptop that couldn't handle the game at 30 fps during those cutscenes. Maybe I'll try to downsample the game so it looks a bit less jaggy.

Hows the controller support?

Wanna play this, but i'm wondering if i should go the path of least resistance (as far as compatibility, etc) and just get it for ps3

Vlaphor

I'll be playing the opening of the game and in random spots, the screen will freeze up. The game is still going on (the audio tells me that) and Task Manager says that the game is still running, but the screen freezes up. I have to forcefully quit out of the game and try again and it'll still freeze up. The furthest I've gotten is when the three enemies attack you. I've done a wide variety of fixes, from reinstalling my video/physx drivers, to changing the in game resolution from 4k to 1080p and nothing changes. A few more people have been coming out with the same issue, but it looks like it's not that widespread.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Hows the controller support?

Wanna play this, but i'm wondering if i should go the path of least resistance (as far as compatibility, etc) and just get it for ps3

The only place the controller doesn't work is name entry.

I'll be playing the opening of the game and in random spots, the screen will freeze up. The game is still going on (the audio tells me that) and Task Manager says that the game is still running, but the screen freezes up. I have to forcefully quit out of the game and try again and it'll still freeze up. The furthest I've gotten is when the three enemies attack you. I've done a wide variety of fixes, from reinstalling my video/physx drivers, to changing the in game resolution from 4k to 1080p and nothing changes. A few more people have been coming out with the same issue, but it looks like it's not that widespread.

Could you email support@ghostlight.uk.com with details and your Dxdiag please. And we'll pass it on to the dev team.

Bought 2 copies on nostalgia from the original Way of the Samurai, I remember making my way through a couple screens and finding a blacksmith who had this sick sword for sale, which I highlighted to see if i could buy and it let me do it even though I had nowhere near enough money, cue him busting out his giant hammer and chasing my ass all over the zone as I slowly chip damaged him. Hell of a first impression.

A playthrough can last about an hour if you rush through. Replayability is a core part of the series.

I remember playing one on the PS2 and it took forever for me to figure out how to get the ending where
you escape instead of getting gunned down.

I liked how there were so many decision points and how things could go in completely different directions depending on what you did at what time.

I remember playing one on the PS2 and it took forever for me to figure out how to get the ending where
you escape instead of getting gunned down.

I liked how there were so many decision points and how things could go in completely different directions depending on what you did at what time.

Speaking of, I loved how you could kill every single NPC in WOTS3, even the major ones. Shame that they gave certain NPCs plot armour this time apart from during special events.

Roshin

Animations look stiff and there are some audio issues. The 30 fps lock is unfortunately very obvious. Still, it seems like an interesting game with a lot of depth.

Top Bottom