• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

FoxSpirit

Sword Familiar said:
mik keeps on delivering :lol Great job.
I didn't know this was a competition.

Baiano19 said:
I would agree with you if Mik´s effort haven´t left me in tears... I mean wow! :lol
PantherLotus said:
:lol :lol @ mik's!
Akia said:
:lol :lol
holy crap wow mik wins the thread.

It's not. It's just the reaction to the ads when I just thought the were okay. Like mik himself said, only if you played the game.
*shrugs*

Oh, and congrats Beardz, a truly great ad :)

Zeliard

mik said:
28gta8n.jpg

:lol

Terrific.

Beardz

FoxSpirit said:

Thanks man, at first I wanted to do something with Thriller/Michael Jackson theme, but I couldn't find the right images so...

mik

mik is unbeatable
That is a great one. Communicates the game concept without a word. Even the color scheme helps deliver something as abstract as a sense of dread.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
FoxSpirit said:
It's not. It's just the reaction to the ads when I just thought the were okay. Like mik himself said, only if you played the game.
*shrugs*

Too much bitterness in there

*shrugs*

*SHRUGS*

The Hermit

FoxSpirit said:
*shrugs*

As an ad, Beardz wins hands down.
Mik´s post this time is the least "magazine ad" but it´s extremely funny especially for Gaf("they don´t realize they can move and shoot") .

Don´t need to be so defensive ok? :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Looks like somebody forgot the purpose of this thread!

Hint: "for the hell of it."

If you guys want to start giving legitimate critical responses, that would be better than "you guys are picking the wrong one." I know I would love more feedback, and even mik and xintin have responded positively to all comments.

I have noticed a trend of ad-types:
1. Legitimate glossy magazine-style ads
2. Marketing promos
3. Movie-style posters
4. Teh Funneh

I think all 4 are legitimate contributions to the thread.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Baiano19 said:
Mik´s post this time is the least "magazine ad" but it´s extremely funny especially for Gaf("they don´t realize they can move and shoot") .

Agreed. Mik's would probably work best as an online marketing ploy, targeted directly to fans of the dev/pub/genre.

firex

eh, the only one of these that I didn't think was good was the one using the old earlier screenshots of characters that don't look like the ones in the actual game. It's not even that bad, but if it were an ad I'd be kind of annoyed when I get the game and none of the survivors look like they do in the ad.

mik

mik is unbeatable
PantherLotus said:
I have noticed a trend of ad-types:
1. Legitimate glossy magazine-style ads
2. Marketing promos
3. Movie-style posters
4. Teh Funneh

I think all 4 are legitimate contributions to the thread.
Whew. Because now I'm imagining that the agency responsible for the Shatner/Mini Me/Mr T World of Warcraft ads got the Left 4 Dead assignment:

91mgex.png

Dreavus

mik said:
Whew. Because now I'm imagining that the agency responsible for the Shatner/Mini Me/Mr T World of Warcraft ads got the Left 4 Dead assignment:

http://i39.tinypic.com/91mgex.png[img][/QUOTE]

Oh wow! :lol

Red Scarlet

mik said:

91mgex.png

Haha, awesome. I had a similar idea, but the Wayne Brady one is better.

TheGOHN

Sword Familiar

I like it. Maybe if you did 4 ads like this but with just one of the characters on each ad( but leave the tag like the same ).

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
TheGOHN said:
Sword Familiar

I like it. Maybe if you did 4 ads like this but with just one of the characters on each ad( but leave the tag like the same ).

Yeah, I guess that's a nice, albeit tried approach to it. I'll sleep on it and see what I can do.

Thanks for the input. :D

xintin

after playing and enjoying both demos, im curious: are we going to give Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 a crack before their respective release dates?

xintin said:
after playing and enjoying both demos, im curious: are we going to give Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5 a crack before their respective release dates?

Left 4 dead is being done now so i'd say resi 5 is no chance. No idea about killzone 2 but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

FoxSpirit

Baiano19 said:

Ok :)

29syvn.jpg

The original was better, but was lost when Photoshop crashed on me. *sob*

IMO, I'd really like it if we continued to focus on less blockbuster type games. Maybe even going so far as to work on ads for retro games (Shinobi? Ninja Gaiden? Anything with a ninja!). I would jump at the chance to do something for Phantasy Star. Or how about an ad for an older console? I'm sure we can all to do better ads for the Saturn than what it ended up being stuck with in the US. Doing ads for hyped up and coming or recent releases just isn't quite as fun. Just my two cents.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
PantherLotus said:
someone quote mine on this page because i need attention
20kxcu1.gif

edit: oh goddamn...you switched back from pointycuffs babe to fisticuffs babe...i woulda posted pointycuffs but i didn't save that gif ;_;

Jugendstil said:
IMO, I'd really like it if we continued to focus on less blockbuster type games. Maybe even going so far as to work on ads for retro games (Shinobi? Ninja Gaiden? Anything with a ninja!). I would jump at the chance to do something for Phantasy Star. Or how about an ad for an older console? I'm sure we can all to do better ads for the Saturn than what it ended up being stuck with in the US. Doing ads for hyped up and coming or recent releases just isn't quite as fun. Just my two cents.

I think it might be possible to do one of those every once in a while, but I would imagine that for the success of the thread to continue, it would need to keep including games and consoles that a large amount of people are excited about and can relate to in some way. We saw how the more niche titles did in terms of quantity (Persona 4, Team Fortress 2, etc.)

I definitely would love to see some more out-there sorts of things but perhaps for items people are still excited about. maybe some of the retro games getting re-releases or something could be cool -- a Chrono Trigger DS ad or something, perhaps.

Personally I'd like to see GAF try at some of the less "gamer-y" titles that are still really well known, such as Wii Music or Wii Fit or something, but I also wonder if it would turn some of the posters off or be bait for trolling or something.

That said, I'm really happy with this thread so I wouldn't mind if we kept on our generally current course as well. Maybe the best thing would be to allow a "wild card: game of your choice" every once in a while where people could get these ideas out there without derailing the whole thread.

timetokill said:
I think it might be possible to do one of those every once in a while, but I would imagine that for the success of the thread to continue, it would need to keep including games and consoles that a large amount of people are excited about and can relate to in some way. We saw how the more niche titles did in terms of quantity (Persona 4, Team Fortress 2, etc.)

I definitely would love to see some more out-there sorts of things but perhaps for items people are still excited about. maybe some of the retro games getting re-releases or something could be cool -- a Chrono Trigger DS ad or something, perhaps.

Personally I'd like to see GAF try at some of the less "gamer-y" titles that are still really well known, such as Wii Music or Wii Fit or something, but I also wonder if it would turn some of the posters off or be bait for trolling or something.

That said, I'm really happy with this thread so I wouldn't mind if we kept on our generally current course as well. Maybe the best thing would be to allow a "wild card: game of your choice" every once in a while where people could get these ideas out there without derailing the whole thread.

No, totally. I definitely don't want the thread to lose momentum, but I don't want it to devolve into only focusing only on newer blockbuster type games. It's selfish, but I'm way more interested in designing ads for games I want to play or have played as opposed to GENERIC FPS SEQUEL OF THE MONTH. Anihawk's done an awesome job so far, so kudos to him for keeping it going strong.

On another note, while it's debatable which of these function best as ads, IMO mik's work is consistently second to none in terms of design and typography. Dude has crazy skills and makes it look too easy. In terms of actual advertising design, Orobi's SFIV stuff was my favorite work in the entire thread. I mean, he basically designed an entire campaign! I still want to know where those photos came from... Anyway, it's cool to see everyone's specific strengths in creating these as the thread progresses. This is the best thread going on GAF right now.

PBalfredo

Beardz said:
I like this except for one thing. The survivors have the same hunched over posed as the zombies. Unless they are trying to pull off the old Shaun of the Dead maneuver, the survivors should be standing straight up.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PBalfredo said:
I like this except for one thing. The survivors have the same hunched over posed as the zombies. Unless they are trying to pull off the old Shaun of the Dead maneuver, the survivors should be standing straight up.

Good point.

Am I the only one that can stand back and a giant zombie eye when staring at it? That's creepy.

Beardz

PBalfredo said:

You know what? you have my name :0
alfredo

Top Bottom