• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

Kanann

Oh, the dev is here. I will support your game day1, and thank you for releasing it on steam, I don't have both xbox and win 10 LOL

MilkyJoe

Grow up. Whether Sony cares for indies or shows their games off at E3 doesn't mean anything in terms of actual sales. You bringing this up rather implies that you want to bring up "console warrior shit". I'm simply stating that these quirky titles don't fare as well, sales-wise, on the Xbox platform as on the PS4. The fact that indie devs on this forum tell you the same and that other indie titles aren't even coming to Xbox One anymore should make this clear even to you.

That doesn't mean that games cannot do better on Xbox than on PS4. It always depends on the target audience.

Installed base itself doesn't mean a game will do well if there's an audience mismatch. Mario Kart 8 did well despite being on the Wii U because it appealed to the audience on that platform. Especially at 20 USD, this game will be a tough sell outside of a small audience, regardless of the platform.

You know it's on PC too? The biggest install base there is.

leeh

Grow up. Whether Sony cares for indies or shows their games off at E3 doesn't mean anything in terms of actual sales. You bringing this up rather implies that you want to bring up "console warrior shit". I'm simply stating that these quirky titles don't fare as well, sales-wise, on the Xbox platform as on the PS4. The fact that indie devs on this forum tell you the same and that other indie titles aren't even coming to Xbox One anymore should make this clear even to you.
News in, marketing a game at the worlds biggest video games conference with millions of viewers does nothing for sales.

Hilarious.

Shiggy

Yes, that's where the majority of sales will come from for this game. The argument simply is that, based on other niche titles, the game would do better if it was on PS4 than on Xbox One. And that argument has been raised in light of the financial burden the developers have taken on to create this game.

News in, marketing a game at the worlds biggest video games conference with millions of viewers does nothing for sales.

Hilarious.

If you think quirky indie titles on Xbox One will suddenly do great because of that, keep believing.
image.php

Keinning

Yes, that's where the majority of sales will come from for this game. The argument simply is that, based on other niche titles, the game would do better if it was on PS4 than on Xbox One.

And based on Ori games with enough quality sell well enough on Xbox to be profitable and maintain themselves, PS4 versions or not. Could you drop this biased argument already? You're adding nothing to the discussion at hand.

nkarafo

Finally, a real cartoon game that doesn't look like cheap flash animation.

I'd like to ask the developer, is this frame by frame animation?

MilkyJoe

Yes, that's where the majority of sales will come from for this game. The argument simply is that, based on other niche titles, the game would do better if it was on PS4 than on Xbox One. And that argument has been raised in light of the financial burden the developers have taken on to create this game.

Well I'm sure they know what they're doing, you'll just have to buy a pc or x box, I guess.

jsnepo

I've played it twice and it's brilliant if you like old school run and gun games like Treasure's Alien Soldier. It really plays beautifully.

I don't know Alien Soldier but is it comparable to Contra or Metal Slug? If it is then consider me excited. I don't have an Xbox One but I'll get it on PC if that's the case.

gamz

If you think quirky indie titles on Xbox One will suddenly do great because of that, keep believing.
image.php

Quirky indie title? Limbo was huge and Minecraft is still bigger on Xbox then any other console because it was there first. Ori broke out this gen. I mean the awareness is huge for Cuphead and I don't have the "concern" as many of you have. It'll do great.

Caayn

We all know that every game does best on PS4 #4theplayers
It'll sell even better if it released on PS4 and Switch in addition to PC and XB1 *gasp*

Shiggy

And based on Ori games with enough quality sell well enough on Xbox to be profitable and maintain themselves, PS4 versions or not. Could you drop this biased argument already? You're adding nothing to the discussion at hand.

"with enough quality" sounds a lot like what you read in 3rd party threads for Nintendo platforms when those games don't perform well. And while I haven't seen sales of Ori, that did indeed do well enough for a sequel. But you cannot make the rare case into the general case. Simply based on market realities, the probability of success would be higher on PS4.

Well I'm sure they know what they're doing, you'll just have to buy a pc or x box, I guess.

Let's hope that.

Quirky indie title? Limbo was huge and Minecraft is still bigger on Xbox then any other console because it was there first. Ori broke out this gen. I mean the awareness is huge for Cuphead and I don't have the "concern" as many of you have. It'll do great.

Wasn't Limbo on the Xbox 360, not the Xbox One? And do you have any more information on Minecraft sales on Xbox One vs. PS4? Given the mass market appeal of Minecraft worldwide, it would surprise me if that sold better on Xbox One than PS4. It would have needed to sell way better in North America than in Europe if that was true.

And I'm not really sure if you aren't overestimating the awareness for Cuphead. On niche platforms like NeoGAF it might have awareness. But I don't see much talk elsewhere, the E3 trailer also only has 250k clicks on Youtube. Even "The Last Night", hated by GAF, got twice the amount.

Anyway, I don't need the game on PS4 as I have an Xbox One and a PC.

FelipeMGM

Played this a bunch of times in trade shows and the bosses stages were really fun, especially in local co-op. And of course, they were mesmerizing to look at

hope they nail the platforming sections too

gamz

Wasn't Limbo on the Xbox 360, not the Xbox One? And do you have any more information on Minecraft sales on Xbox One vs. PS4? Given the mass market appeal of Minecraft worldwide, it would surprise me if that sold better on Xbox One than PS4. It would have needed to sell way better in North America than in Europe if that was true.

And I'm not really sure if you aren't overestimating the awareness for Cuphead. On niche platforms like NeoGAF it might have awareness. But I don't see much talk elsewhere, the E3 trailer also only has 250k clicks on Youtube. Even "The Last Night", hated by GAF, got twice the amount.

Anyway, I don't need the game on PS4 as I have an Xbox One and a PC.

So you are talking strictly Xbox One? So quirky indies did well on 360 but not the One that's your thought process? Okay...Anyway. It's stupid to go back and forth here. Just buy and enjoy the game wherever you want considering you have the console or PC where you can play it.

Shiggy

So you are talking strictly Xbox One? So quirky indies did well on 360 but not the One that's your thought process? Okay...Anyway.

Well, would you look at the sales of Wii to assess how releasing a game on Wii U would do today?

[]

Have you heard about Minecraft, Rocket League and Ori and the Blind Forest?
If your game is great and attracts many various people it will sell great on Xbox One.
If not, it won't

That is just natural and a good thing.
But yeah if you make a bad games no one cares about, you better not release your game, or have at least your expectations in check and break even early

gamz

Have you heard about Minecraft, Rocket League and Ori and the Blind Forest?
If your game is great and attracts many various people it will sell great on Xbox One.
If not, it won't

That is just natural and a good thing.
But yeah if you make a bad games no one cares about, you better not release your game, or have at least your expectations in check and break even early

That basically it. It's really common sense.

Exis

I love the graphical style of this game but it is a bit of a bullet hell game right? I don't like those so will wait for a sale.

As someone who works full time and does indie dev in my spare time, I've had thoughts to do this (who wouldn't rather be working on their own projects full time), but I am too chicken, would rather continue to slowly push it forward at weekends and holidays (which generally means I've not had a real holiday in years). Theres also the thought of failure or that your game is not good enough.

But massive credit to them (or anyone that does this), its a big risk, but for them i think it'll work out, they've had some great support and because of E3, have a good chance of success. People know about their game, so thats one massive hurdle complete.

Wamb0wneD

The dev probably won't read this but can anyone tell me whether it's coming out on steam as well? BEcause i hear that somewhere but anywhere I look it's just Xbox and Windows Store. Oh god please be on steam...

The dev probably won't read this but can anyone tell me whether it's coming out on steam as well? BEcause i hear that somewhere but anywhere I look it's just Xbox and Windows Store. Oh god please be on steam...

Yes it comes out on Steam and also later on GOG.
A Mac and Linux version is also be considered

The game however is exclusive to Xbox One on the console side.
So it will never come to Ps4 or Switch.

The developer owns the IP
A second cuphead game could potentially come to more platforms on the console side.
We don't know tho, if Microsoft has some kind of "first refusal right" for a potential successor of the game

Speaking of this:
Is Microsoft also publishing the the Steam Version, or is that self publishing from the developer?

gamz

Yes it comes out on Steam and also later on GOG.
A Mac and Linux version is also be considered

The game however is exclusive to Xbox One on the console side.
So it will never come to Ps4 or Switch.

The developer owns the IP
A secons cuphead game could potentially come to more platforms on the console side.
We don't know tho, if Microsoft has some kind of "first refusal right" for a potential successor of the game

Speaking of this:
Is Microsoft also publishing the the Steam Version, or is that self publishing from thr developer?

On the Steam pre-order it says it's published by Cuphead. Publisher: StudioMDHR Entertainment Inc.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is largely irrelevant in the context of what this thread is about. A thread about how hard these devs are working and how risky the project is yet you just HAVE to bring playstation fanboyism into it via talking pointlessly about a hypothetical alternate dimension where this game isn't a xbox exclusive. Do you not realize how asinine that is?

image.php
Ugh really? This game isn't even that "quirky." Also this isn't gamefaqs or n4g so maybe stop while you're ahead.

gamz

This is largely irrelevant in the context of what this thread is about. A thread about how hard these devs are working and how risky the project is yet you just HAVE to bring playstation fanboyism into it via talking pointlessly about a hypothetical alternate dimension where this game isn't a xbox exclusive. Do you not realize how asinine that is?

Ugh really? This game isn't even that "quirky." Also this isn't gamefaqs or n4g so maybe stop while you're ahead.

It's very asinine even given the examples of the games that have done well or flourished on Xbox. I mean you can say any game would be better off going multiplatform. Well, duh!

The art style immediately intrigued me. I hope the game turns out well and that they can at least break even on the project. It's always disheartening when someone ends up in a horrible situation because they followed their dreams and gave it their all.

Game looks incredible, really hope i get to play it one day. fingers crossed it plays as good as it looks.
please don't laugh at me but it releasing on mac? i doubt it could run the game but i don't have a pc or xbox.

I don't know Alien Soldier but is it comparable to Contra or Metal Slug? If it is then consider me excited. I don't have an Xbox One but I'll get it on PC if that's the case.

The side-scrolling levels probably are. I played the boss fights. But it's inspired by those games, yes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Cuphead looks fucking amazing. Don't know why the writer threw shade at Hello Games. No Man's Sky, financially, was a monster success. It's a multi-million seller last I checked, and Hello Games has gone quiet because they're constantly working on updates. I think people forget that HG is a small studio (I believe it was less than 20 when the game launched), and it sold a ton. Sean Murray made a buttload of money, but instead of taking it and ran, they've been using it to improve the game. I've loved it since launch, but it's literally only gotten better with each update. A new one is around the corner.

I can only hope that the Cuphead devs have the success that Hello Games has made, but perhaps minus the embarrassing schadenfreude that followed release. I've been following Cuphead for a while now, and damn. Very excited for it. I mean, shit, that art style alone grabs your attention. I just want the game to be fun too.

Just talking about this conversation as a whole, it isn't about playstation fanboyism. Many other indie devs (including myself) have brought in concern that there is a demographic mismatch between this game and the Xbox One consumer base that creates a ceiling for what we might expect it'll sell on the platform as opposed to how it would sell on PS4.

This conversation was brought up as a response to how much the devs financially risked developing the game, which is what this thread is about. It's not pointless, and it's not about platform fanboyism. It's entirely relevant, in fact, much of the conversation wasn't initially about how it'd sell better on PS4, but rather how the userbase demographic doesn't match up as well on Xbox One. When that conversation expanded, developers like me came in to share stories that these types of games do exponentially better on PlayStation platforms (this generation).

None of this is fanboysim, none of it is irrelevant, it's all just an expanding conversation that trails back and remains on point to what this thread is about. And it's also all based on educated speculation, not only from fans but actual developers who have a deep understanding of this space.

Just talking about this conversation as a whole, it isn't about playstation fanboyism. Many other indie devs (including myself) have brought in concern that there is a demographic mismatch between this game and the Xbox One consumer base that creates a ceiling for what we might expect it'll sell on the platform as opposed to how it would sell on PS4.

This conversation was brought up as a response to how much the devs financially risked developing the game, which is what this thread is about. It's not pointless, and it's not about platform fanboyism. It's entirely relevant, in fact, much of the conversation wasn't initially about how it'd sell better on PS4, but rather how the userbase demographic doesn't match up as well on Xbox One. When that conversation expanded, developers like me came in to share stories that these types of games do exponentially better on PlayStation platforms (this generation).

None of this is fanboysim, none of it is irrelevant, it's all just an expanding conversation that trails back and remains on point to what this thread is about. And it's also all based on educated speculation, not only from fans but actual developers who have a deep understanding of this space.
Straight from an indie devs mouth. Makes sense to me.

Gestault

Hearing one dev second-guess the decision of another to release on the PC/Xbox sounds tacky and, yes, borders on fanboyish to me (given the explanation). Especially when an aspect of the dev's decision was partnering in a way to get support of some kind, mainstream visibility, and also no outside strings attached for ownership of their new IP (which wouldn't have necessarily been the case for alternatives). That's a line of thinking we've heard from several devs, mainstream and indie alike. The PC being (likely) the largest audience for smaller titles like this is no small part of the picture.

Caayn

Hope this succeeds. I wonder if my 5 year old PC will run it.
The current minimum requirements* aren't that high. I3 with a GT240 or AMD5570 + 1GB VRAM. So you'll probably have no issue running this game.

*I've got no clue if these requirements will be changed in the future.

Hotsuma

Hearing one dev second-guess the decision of another to release on the PC/Xbox sounds tacky and, yes, borders on fanboyish to me (given the explanation). Especially when an aspect of the dev's decision was partnering in a way to get support of some kind, mainstream visibility, and also no outside strings attached for ownership of their new IP (which wouldn't have necessarily been the case for alternatives). That's a line of thinking we've heard from several devs, mainstream and indie alike. The PC being (likely) the largest audience for smaller titles like this is no small part of the picture.

Agreed 100%! They get to keep their IP plus got the support needed to get this game created. I'm actually thrilled that MS invested some resources into this game even though it isn't a genre the Xbox is known for. I hope it succeeds since Ori managed to do well.

Stoze

IMO, it's just not the type of game that will sell well on xobox1. I know its a meme here that xobx is a HaloForzaGears box but if you think about it, it's kinda true. Sunset Overdrive reviewed well and it flopped.
Ori reviewed well, which is a more appropriate comparison, and it didn't flop. It's getting a sequel. And like Ori it's not only on Xbox.

edit: And before I get strawmanned, no, just because Ori did well doesn't mean this will. That's my point; examples that can be easily countered and a gut feeling of "it's just not the type of game that will sell well" isn't enough to claim this game is probably going to bomb.

RedRum

Banned

Agree with this!

Rocket League was not a niche title at all at release. Ask any PS4 owner if dont believe me.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but the game was free on Ps4 and its predecessor by the same developer was all but forgotten on Ps3. The definition of a niche game breaking out into the mainstream just as Minecraft did.

Top Bottom