• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

m23

Game looks cool. It will sell well.

They should have gone the multiplatform route to maximize the incomes tho.

I believe I read somewhere that Microsoft helped them in some ways. I don't know if that was monetary or some other type of assistance. That might have to do with exclusivity, at least on the console side.

Peltz

Man, I couldn't imagine throwing everything into one passion project like this. I have the utmost respect for it though. I hope the game turns out great.

It has a look that sells itself or at least gets attention. I don't think you need a Microsoft or Sony for what seems like a smallish marketing endeavour but maybe MS helped more initially? Hope it's been worth it.

Looking forward to buying it on Steam. If it's short then I think being more of a challenge would be nice.

I would say this is a risky commitment for a first game but it paid off the Hotline Miami guys. The problem is, despite the publicity, not every big indie game is a hit. It's a risk and I hope it pays off. I am buying day one anyway.

MS likely gave them some up front money in exchange for exclusivity, but that's not enough to support a 20-person team for a multi-year project.

A team of skilled artists and engineers of that size, even if they are all willing to work well below market value for those positions, is still easily ~$3 million dollars a year or more.

Sometimes it is hard for many to imagine how budget can easily skyrocket on any game project.

I really loved how Yacht Club Games told the story behind the development of Shovel Knight and it's costs. I wish more indie developers would do the same so we can get better insights of what happens on such projects.

I am a bit disappointed that the journalist did not explore the relationship between Microsoft and the developer. I am very curious what resources did Microsoft gave to the developer. It would be interesting to know how Microsoft treats their "crown jewel" indie developers.

heybrian

Neo Member
I'm not sure that I'd put all my money down on something like this, but hope it works out for them.

they should have released Cuphead as the boss rush game they had ready two years ago, and then used the profits from that to develop Cuphead 2 :

Agreed.

I'm not sure if it when this will be available for the PS4, but I watched some kind of sponsored vid on facebook about the hand-drawn assets with my son and we were both excited.

My quick research says it's first on Xbox and Steam. No further indication or has it been officially locked as an exclusive?

(Not port begging, the wording is ambiguous so I'm asking)

Edit: reading a few posts up, seems like MS was involved in development so probably locked exclusive?

blakep267

I am a bit disappointed that the journalist did not explore the relationship between Microsoft and the developer. I am very curious what resources did Microsoft gave to the developer. It would be interesting to know how Microsoft treats their "crown jewel" indie developers.
You Generally wouldn't speak on contracts between companies in an interview like that. Outside of any monetary involvement, Cuphead has been at 3 or so E3's with stage presence making the visibility fairly high compared to other indie games. Who hasn't heard or seen anything about Cuphead

You Generally wouldn't speak on contracts between companies in an interview like that. Outside of any monetary involvement, Cuphead has been at 3 or so E3's with stage presence making the visibility fairly high compared to other indie games. Who hasn't heard or seen anything about Cuphead

Yeah, I got the contract thing. But I still think Microsoft might have provide resources other than Money and Marketing. Would like to know about that. Would like to know the support to this game compared to other Microsoft published indie games like Ori and the Blind Forest.

Keinning

I'm not sure if it when this will be available for the PS4, but I watched some kind of sponsored vid on facebook about the hand-drawn assets with my son and we were both excited.

My quick research says it's first on Xbox and Steam. No further indication or has it been officially locked as an exclusive?

(Not port begging, the wording is ambiguous so I'm asking)

Edit: reading a few posts up, seems like MS was involved in development so probably locked exclusive?

One of the staff working in the game posted here and confirmed this cuphead game is PC/Xbox exclusive

dzelly

I hope the team all the success in the world. The art direction alone is going to necessitate a purchase on my end, but the gameplay looks really fun as well.

MadMod

Just read the article, hope this is like super meat boy, where eventually it comes over to Playstation

The amount of effort in this sounds incredible, really appreciate it. Will probably have to pick it up on my comp if my patience runs thin.

You have to love professionals who go all-in.

I did the same a few years ago to finish my book, which is being edited presently. Quit my job; lived on my savings; tapped into my 401k. Will it work out? Who knows, doesn't matter. I just know in 20 years I won't look back asking what if.

galvatron

I've been tracking this game for years now. I'll definitely buy on PC to show support since the artwork is like something out of a dream.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't know what it is about this game, but it feels like it's been coming out for forever, and doesn't seem like anything more special than a steam greenlight game with the 1940s animation schtick. It's had more buildup than any other indie game i've seen in a long time.

Am I missing something?

Head.spawn

I don't know what it is about this game, but it feels like it's been coming out for forever, and doesn't seem like anything more special than a steam greenlight game with the 1940s animation schtick. It's had more buildup than any other indie game i've seen in a long time.

Am I missing something?

The article linked in the OP probably has an answer for any question you could possibly have regarding the game and developer.

gamz

Am I missing something?

Pretty much everything.

Ultimadrago

I'd love to watch a Making-Of video or see an article where StudioMDHR describes the step-by-step of their animation and/or creative process for Cuphead's bosses and promo work.

Don't feel bad. If you're interested in the game, get it at whatever you feel comfortable buying it at. We aren't trying to score points here.

Haha
Yeah i will for sure.
I hope you guys are also okay with me buying it just for the looks ;)
i'll probably not even able to beat the first boss.

Ugh. I hate stories like these. It just reminds me of Fez and Meatboy and how it's not worth that much sacrifice to make indie games. :(

They're going to need some good reviews and good press. I wish all the luck to them.

mindatlarge

Man, I hope these guys are rewarded for their dedication. This game looks like it'll be phenomenal. Hoping it sells like gang busters.

gamz

Ugh. I hate stories like these. It just reminds me of Fez and Meatboy and how it's not worth that much sacrifice to make indie games. :(

They're going to need some good reviews and good press. I wish all the luck to them.

Love stories like this. I envy it! Put your balls on the line to achieve greatness. I wish I had the balls and the talent. LOL

Dali

Did those games not turn a reasonable profit for the creators?

Axass

I don't usually buy games day one, but I'm making an exception for this one. Looks too good to wait. I'll co-op it with a friend.

Top Bottom