• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

Trup1aya

They released a critically panned title that took millions of dollars from users for a game that was well and truly below expectations. They are infamous in the industry. Nobody will touch them. Their company value would be next to zero. Nothing went right for them. How exactly did they make out like bandits???

EDIT: Sorry for the shitty tone. Apparently, I'm in a grumpy mood today.

The bolded is the answer to your question.

naitosan

Definitely day one for me. Like someone above, hope this game isn't too hard. I enjoy difficult old school game but not like Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden hard.

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.
Why not put it on switch and ps4 so you can keep your houses?

i am so psyched for this. it really looks like hand drawn animation. hand drawn animation of this style is so rare and is so wonderful to watch. the fluidity is something that is missing these days. this game looks like magic.

N30RYU

Game looks cool. It will sell well.

They should have gone the multiplatform route to maximize the incomes tho.

VariantX

Its a game that definately stands out visually, so I'm pretty confident the risks and sacrifices they took will be rewarded.

I don't think there's any question that it's going to sell gangbusters, barring terrible reviews.

Nah, this game has bomba written all over it, sadly. It could end up as a cult hit though. Hopefully MS cut these guys nice check to keep it exclusive.

I rarely watch let's plays, but I will for this game as I don't own an XB1 and I absolutely love the 30s animation aesthetic.

Occam

So Microsoft is not funding development? Why did they make the game exclusive then and are keeping it from PS4 (and Switch)? That doesn't sound like a good plan to make most money, especially for a niche title such as this. I'd like some clarification, is the game really exclusive? Maybe timed?

Paz

Are people genuine when they post questions like 'why not put it on X platform if they wanna keep their house' or ask questions about why they signed a deal with Microsoft? Or is it just nonsense from folks who want it on their preferred platform.

I mean these questions are pretty easily answered, if a platform holder wants your indie game to be featured in their lineup in a big way it's almost universally a good idea to go for such a deal. I'm sure they get a lot out of it and since the game has already taken a huge amount of time to finish for just one console platform it's unfathomable to think of how intense it would be for them to try and get it finished on multiple platforms simultaneously.

This very thread would likely not be as long as it is discussing a fairly common thing with indie devs going all in if it weren't for the game pushed so hard by Microsoft over the years. We don't even know the extent to which their deal benefits them either or their circumstances when they signed it, there's a good chance the game would not have existed without that deal.

cHaOs667

My games (not exactly a run-n-gun, but Mega Man style platformers) sell tremendously higher on PS4, and are received more positively by players on that platform.
Maybe because your games are not available world wide on X1? At least I can't find them in the German x1 store - just made a quick check with the xbox app :(

Jimrpg

If they gave an award for best presentation this year this would hands down be the winner. Looks incredible! Will still wait for reviews to see how much content there is and what the gameplay is like.

Game looks promising and I hope it pans out because the art style looks amazing. I'm still gonna wait for reviews. Been burned too many times.

Sweep14

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.

Without Deeping in details, can you tell us why you didn't consider PlayStation as a viable platform for your title ?

TBiddy

Maybe because your games are not available world wide on X1? At least I can't find them in the German x1 store - just made a quick check with the xbox app :(

Also not available in Denmark. Not that I think it would matter much, but still.

I'm really looking forward to Cuphead, btw. I'm gonna suck at it, get frustrated and angry, but I'm gonna buy it for two reasons: 1) The art-style is incredible and 2) They deserve my money.

jviggy43

It looks so cool but I hope it's not too hard. I don't like overly hard games but I would like to try this game out.

Definitely day one for me. Like someone above, hope this game isn't too hard. I enjoy difficult old school game but not like Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden hard.
Ugh, we have enough easy games on the market. This game was a promise to return to old school difficulty so I really hope that's still intact.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The whole project always seemed insanely ambitious. And I love that, developers who have a crazy vision that noone else would dare touch. I'm not even sure it's a game for me, but even so I highly appreciate and respect people who go all in like that. Hope it turns out well for them.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The cynic in me is really hoping this isn't just an angle.

Regardless, it looks great and I'll be buying on day one.

xrnzaaas

Hello Games and its overly ambitious No Man's Sky is a prime example of a studio throwing everything they have at the game and, for the most part, failing to meet expectations.

NMS has made tons of money and that's what matters. Not a good comparison.

Game looks insanely, painfully gorgeous. Art and animation is truly stunning.
However, I watched a playthrough of a part of it, and it didn't look like an excellent platformer - hold down shoot, run forward - but here's hoping it's great.

Inspiring story, wished more devs were as passionate. Day 1 on Xbox and at some point on Steam, just to support these hard working brothers.

Jumeira

Banned
Ok guys, I will buy this day 1 to support you even though I simply do not enjoy 2D games. I bought Ori for the same reason.

The game looks unbelievable though, I think alot of museums and art houses will be interested in this game, there's nothing like it.

dickroach

I was gonna buy Cuphead day 1, but then all these people in this thread started comparing it to No Man's Sky. now i dunno

gamz

The cynic in me is really hoping this isn't just an angle.

Regardless, it looks great and I'll be buying on day one.

I don't think it's an angle and it's not all that uncommon. People have been remortgaging their homes and/or running up credit cards to realize their dreams for quite some time. Hell, Robert Rodriguez got El Mirachi made by donating blood and his body for science.

Anyway, buying it day 1 for sure.

Dali

Nah, this game has bomba written all over it, sadly. It could end up as a cult hit though. Hopefully MS cut these guys nice check to keep it exclusive.

I rarely watch let's plays, but I will for this game as I don't own an XB1 and I absolutely love the 30s animation aesthetic.
It's aesthetic is like nothing ever seen before in video games. It's a controllable merrie melody. Imagine someone from the 30's seeing this game. I think even those not particularly interested in the gameplay would want this as a showpiece or be compelled to purchase it just to look at it. I know I'm not super big into schmups and the gameplay they've show seemed really lacking in the "oomph" department (attacks seemed ineffectual/very little visual feedback/sound effects for attacks lacked any presence) but I'll probably buy this game on pc when it comes out.

Note: I believe they've said in the past the sound effects were placeholders. Until they are changed, I don't see any issue with mentioning how lacking the little "plink" like the noise, reminiscent of the sound your cellphone keyboard makes when typing, is as their current attack noise.

Bl@de

We own the Cuphead IP.

Didn't know that the game will come to Steam and GoG. Fantastic news and I'm definetly looking forward to this.

Yohane

We own the Cuphead IP.

Best of luck guys!

Do you know when will be possible to preorder the game on steam?

I can't speak for Joe and I can only speak anecdotally from my own experience and from a few other devs, most of our games are not received well on Xbox.

When we announced one of our games the chatter was night/day between Xbox and PS boards which led me (and a few other devs) to rethink putting in work for an XO version.

Kind of a kick in the gut when you were vehemently voicing your concern about multiplatform development for a long time, to seeing changes come about and then being able to announce after having gotten somewhere with your concerns only to have the community, by overwhelming majority, shit on your work while the other side takes to your game in the extreme opposite.

You sit and think "why the fuck am I putting in time if this is how it is received by this party?"

I have had some long talks with other devs about just that question weighing the pros and cons of that platform being indie.

Again, anecdotal, but I'm not the only one.

MisterR

I feel bad for them - their houses are at stake and they decided to go with Xbox One as only console.

I think the lack of interesting Xbox exclusives could actually really help them. They've gotten lots of exposure at shows and Xbox fans seem to have really latched onto the game. It looks amazing and hopefully will play well too.

gamz

I can't speak for Joe and I can only speak anecdotally from my own experience and from a few other devs, most of our games are not received well on Xbox.

When we announced one of our games the chatter was night/day between Xbox and PS boards which led me (and a few other devs) to rethink putting in work for an XO version.

Kind of a kick in the gut when you were vehemently voicing your concern about multiplatform development for a long time, to seeing changes come about and then being able to announce after having gotten somewhere with your concerns only to have the community, by overwhelming majority, shit on your work while the other side takes to your game in the extreme opposite.

You sit and think "why the fuck am I putting in time if this is how it is received by this party?"

I have had some long talks with other devs about just that question weighing the pros and cons of that platform being indie.

Again, anecdotal, but I'm not the only one.

Can you give us the name of the game that was shit on? Sorry, I can't remember a Xbox indie game that was? Doesn't have to be your game but what games that you know of was?

Top Bottom