• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We should change Ontario's flag

Mr.Mike

There are 5 basic principles of flag design and we can't even respect one of them.

Flag_of_Ontario.svg

1. Keep it simple. What's this tiny triple maple leaf bullshit, how's a kid supposed to draw that in a scene?
  2. Use meaningful symbolism. Oh good, let's put a bunch of English stuff on the flag so we can glorify genocide
  3. Use two to three basic colors. Five, fucking five
  4. No lettering or seals of any kind. mhm
  5. Be distinctive. A fucking red ensign
But what about the flag's rich history? But no, the Ontario flag was introduced in 1965 because John Robert's was angry Canada swapped out the Red Ensign with the best flag in the world, and responded by giving us this garbage.

But who cares about a flag? Well, our racists are starting to adopt the red ensign. And by our racists I guess I mean a US group reminiscing about British colonialism.

Some in attendance said the men identified themselves as members of the ”Proud Boys," a U.S.-based ultra-conservative fraternity-like group that believes in ”reinstating a spirit of Western chauvinism during an age of globalism and multiculturalism."

”This was Mi'Kmaq territory. This is now Canada. This is Halifax, Nova Scotia," said one man who arrived holding what appeared to be a Canadian Red Ensign flag. ”This is a British colony."

Further, if we had a decent flag people might actually use it.

Before I moved to Chicago in 2005, I didn't even know cities had their own flags. In Chicago, the flag is everywhere. It's incorporated into all different aspects of city life and the design elements are used on businesses, websites, clothing and apparel. So when I moved back to San Francisco in 2008 I looked up our city flag and wondered why I never really noticed it before. Ugh, now I know.

But how do we get a better flag? For this too, I turn to 99% invisible.

Here's a trick: if you want to design a kickass flag, start by drawing a one-by-one-and-a half inch rectangle on a piece of paper.

A design at these dimensions held 15 inches from your eye looks about the same as a three-by-five foot flag on a flagpole a hundred feet away.

There, you've got Ontario's colours of green and gold representing the Great Lakes and Hudson Bay. Was that so hard?

How do we get this to actually happen? Well, there's a provincial election coming up. A letter writing campaign timed to get the topic into "the conversation" at such a time that all 3 parties say something about it ought to get the idea enough attention. From there we just hope the idea catches on, maybe it becomes some sort of lame wedge issue between the OPC and the OLP.

Anyway, here's some other flag ideas.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
All of those other flag ideas look like some terrible Web 2.0 logo you can get made on Fiverr. The original looks like a proper flag with history to it.

Machine

I'm not sure I understand this. How are Americans trying to influence the Ontario flag??? If they are, I'm going to make sure Elsinore Beer and Bob & Doug are on the flag.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Of the examples given I'd be okay with 2, 3 or 6. I don't like 1 or 7 because I'd rather not just rip off the flag of Canada completely and 4/5 break the rules.

hobozero

WTF are the 5 basic rules of flag design? Best I can tell it's something some designer thought up in 2015? The Ontario flag has been the same for over 50 years, and it's based on the old Canadian flag that was in use for 100 years before that. That sense of tradition and continuity is going to trump "good design practices" every time.

Geez, somebody better break it to Mexico that their flag sucks, I guess:

Not everything has to confirm to 21st century minimalist design principals. Might as well say Parliament hill is over-designed and move the government into an old Zellers.

I like that modern trileaf (?) design. Everyone should just adopt Japan's prefecture design philosophy, who gives a shit about fugly stripes and MSpaint jobs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
With all due respect the og flag looks like something a 70 year old English drunk would design in MS paint for Poochester Athletic football club.

jstripes

Banned
I completely agree. Our flag is outdated, and doesn't represent us.

If we leave if up to a referendum, it'll never change. Just ask Australia, and Canada in the '60s.

Oh, and if Wynne changes it, that will result in us having to deal with at least 5 fucking years of Tory rule. -_-

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Personally feel like all flags with the Union Jack that are NOT the United Kingdom feel tacky. The fact that it ALSO sports the English flag is doubly ridiculous.

The "a child should be able to draw it" rule has always been silly.

How many people - let alone children - can accurately draw all 50 stars on the US flag in the right pattern, or get all three crosses on the Union Flag in the correct alignment?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Pretty much every province's flag is garbo.

Like they should remove the Union Jack and crown from the BC flag.

And change the name to just C.

Quick

Banned
I'd change Ontario's flag if only because it looks too similar to Manitoba.

Didn't realize there's nutjobs using it to be assholes though.

Never cared much for the Ontario flag tbh as well

Why is there a US based group of "conservative" assholes stirring up shit here though?

Top Bottom